Feb

Cashman: “We’ve won the winter …”

“… but that doesn’t mean you’re going to win the summer when it counts.” That quote came from this Don Amore article, which follows a breakfast Brian Cashman recently had with Connecticut Chamber of Commerce. Cash spoke primarily about the team’s offseason while avoiding Joe Torre’s book like the plague (can you blame him?). The most interesting point he touched on were the adjustment periods that CC Sabathia, AJ Burnett and Mark Teixeira would need now that they’re coming to New York, and how Joe Girardi will be better after all the experience he gained last year. It’s a quick and interesting read, so make sure you check it out. (h/t Sam Borden)

Categories : Asides, Front Office

1. Reggie C. says:

AJ Burnett hopefully comes out the gate like a monster. He needs little if no adjustment period if you consider his years in the AL East. I won’t be surprised if he’s the ace of the staff in the first half.

2. pat says:

Yo tex. theres short right porch and left center is a homerun graveyard, please adjust accordingly. CC and AJ same applies to you. The media is gonna be up your ass constantly and we the fans have ridiculously high expectations. Enjoy New York.
    <3 Yankee fans everywhere.

• Mike A. says:

That’s exactly what Giambi did, and people were constantly saying he should try to hit to all fields like he did in Oakland. Tex should just stick to what got him here, no point in changing it up now.

3. steve (different one) says:

Cashman also said there won’t be any more signings outside of minor league deals, which he is actively looking for….

so forget Cruz, Dunn, and Manny.

this is the team, maybe some bench players brought into ST.

4. Ryan S. says:

I still kinda hope we get Grudzie, I’ve liked that idea of having him as our utility IF ever since I heard it spoken about on the RAB radio show. I still don’t think Juan Cruz is out of the question either … I mean, baseball people seem to really not want to spend money right now. What’s the harm is offering the guy a 1 year, $3.5MM offer at this point?

• Old Ranger says:

40 Man Roster. Who do you drop?

• A.D. says:

If its a utility infielder you easily drop Ransom. Anyone else and it could be an issue

• My DFA list is probably:
          1) Giese
          2) Ransom
          3) Miranda
          4) Steven Jackson
          5) Hacker
          6) Melky

• Ryan S. says:

Well it would depend. If we got someone like Grudzie, I’d drop Ransom. If we got someone like Juan Cruz, it’d be Giese.

• Old Ranger says:

Giese and Aceves are our best bets for long men, Miranda is a good left handed bat. Why would one put Miranda and Giese on the DFA list?
            I understand Ransom (for utility) DFA but, Giese is still a value to this team. Damm, the problem is, we do have a lot of good young arms but, for three or four innings Giese is damm good…once it gets pass that, oops! Last year he seemed to be in the game until somewhere around the 4th/5th…then it would fall apart.
            You are good with stats, right or wrong?

• Giese and Aceves are our best bets for long men, yes. We likely don’t need both, though, just one. Miranda is a good lefty bat, yes, but with severe platoon splits and no defensive value. He’s not worthless, but he’s also not super necessary.

I’m not saying I want to get rid of these guys. I’m just saying they’re the most expendable guys on our 40 man, and if we had to get rid of some people to free up space for upgrades, those would be the players.

• steve (different one) says:

I still don’t think Juan Cruz is out of the question either

“Ultimately, we’ve made our decision,” Cashman said. “We chose to put that money into Mark Teixeira to play first base. I do hear rumblings [that] people actually expect us to get in on Manny. That’s not going to happen.

“We respect his abilities, there’s no doubt about it, but we’re now in the non-roster-invite mode. … We’ve secured the areas of need and hopefully put ourselves in a better position. We’re not playing on any Major League free agents, other than non-roster invites.”

• “This notion that the United States is getting ready to attack Iran is simply ridiculous,” Bush said. “And having said that, all options are on the table.”

• Ryan S. says:

I was fully aware of that quote when I wrote about Juan Cruz. The combination of the epic winter we’ve had, the insanely depressed value of FA in this market, and the fact that its simply hard to take what Cashman says at face value (I’m not saying that’s even a bad thing necessarily) – it all indicates to me that if Cruz becomes cheap enough, we might still make an offer to him. Probably not, but still, its not out of the question.

5. Joe Story says:

Trainer Moynahan rubbing stuff on Roger Clement’s balls- is that Steroids or just superstition ????????? Just wondering !!!! hmmmmm…Why couldn’t he do it himself ???

6. Joe Story says:

Why not ? We still got 9 more days to go…. instead of all the paralysis by analysis stuff.

• Old Ranger says:

Stellar!
      But, before anyone jumps on you, please use the “reply to this comment”, bottom right of the comments. It takes time to get use to it. But I, for one, like it.

• whozat says:

yes. Let’s eschew analysis for talking about Roger Clemens’ balls.

• Old Ranger says:

Why is it ok for others to make senseless innuendos and derogatory remarks? Someone quotes something he may feel is funny, and you (and others) slap them down.
        Could it be; “They are not of your Group”?
        There are a lot of people that would like to make comments (some do, once) but, get shot down for any reason “The Group” feels fit to choose.
        Nobody wants to be made to feel like a fool but some of you guys do a damm good job of criticizing others. But, god help anyone that may criticize one of you guys…one can count on all of you coming his defence.
        I must admit, a lot of the stuff written is very funny and appropo but, enough is enough. Not all of us are as witty or smart as you guys think you are, anyone can quote stats to make themselves look smart. The big question is, can they read stats and apply them to the person and situation? A lot of that stuff is open to conjecture and interpretation, none of us are right, all the time. We may disagree on the interpretation but, it is mine (or yours) and we can always agree to disagree without slapping one down…can’t we?
        Damm, I have been wanting to write that for a long time. Can’t wait to read the comments, or the silence of the comments

• Here’s my response:

A lot of the time on here where several of the board regulars “come to the defense of” or “pile on” to a singular individual not in that group of board regulars, it’s not because they’re merely saying something we disagree with, it’s because they’re either taking their disagreements with people personally (or rudely) or they’re behaving in the annoying mannerisms of a newbie who doesn’t take the time to understand the workings of the RAB forum and civil discourse.

For example: whozat and I above poked fun at/questioned Joe Story’s comment about Roger Clemens balls not because it was off color or inappropriate, but because it was utterly off topic and a subject we’ve already discussed (and riffed on) on here, and it was utterly disconnected to the topic at hand. It’s just not germane AND it’s been covered. I understand that Joe Story may have missed that discussion… tough shit.

Now, if Joe Story was bringing up the reference in a joking manner, that’s probably going to be appreciated and not derided if he connects it somehow tangentally to the topic at hand, i.e. the Yankee Payroll, by cleverly making light of the situation, something like “Well, here’s one way to keep the costs down: we won’t have to pay anymore trainers to rub liniment on Roger’s balls anymore!” or something like that. Had he put a little effort into being witty, it would have been appreciated, I’m sure. He didn’t; he just blurted a non-comedic non sequitur into the middle of a different conversation. It’s like being at a party with friends talking about something interesting and someone you don’t know comes up and blurts out some unrelated off-the-wall shit that doesn’t make sense (and isn’t funny). You’d look at it with puzzlement (and likely mock it in some fashion, either internally or externally.)

But most of these pilings on of which you speak are in reaction to belligerent or meanspirited words, not just quasi-jokey non-sequiturs, if you ask me. If we poke fun at one another, we generally take it in stride as it’s not done with malice or superiority. Some commenters don’t have that ability to laugh at themselves and so they take good-natured ribbing to heart and lash out, and that causes people who enjoy the civil yet aspirationally highbrow dialogue here to act in protection. Most of us came here from other, inferior blogs and don’t want to see RAB descend into LoHuddian sniping and unintelligible gibberish.

That, and we want people to use the damn “Reply to this comment link”. I mean, dude, it’s right there.

Oh, and one more thing: If a poster exhibits any of the classic telltale signs of poor communication skills (like, for example, multiple exclamation points!!!!!!!, or CAPITAL LETTERS, or no punctuation/capitalization at all, or frequent and repeated misspelled words, or glaring inaccuracies (like saying that Clemens’ testicle-rubbing trainer was named “Moynahan” and not “Donahue”), then yeah, he is opening himself up to snide criticism. That’s the rules of the game, bro.)

• Old Ranger says:

I feel chastised!
            I do like a lot of the interplay between you guys, it sometimes is fun (as I have mentioned before) but, give the newbies a break. A lot of them come here for the same reasons you mentioned and don’t know the rules as well as most do.
            I moved here from LoHud back in…hell, I forgot but I know it was somewhere around winter of 2007 (or spring of ’08) but, I just read the stuff and commented every once in a while. Of course, with a different name and IP (is that right). So, I have been around longer then it seems, sorry!
            Water under the bridge, let’s get on with the games!

7. [...] « Cashman: “We’ve won the winter …” 04 02 2009 [...]