Feb

Melky out of options

MLBTR has started to put together it’s annual list of players who are out of options, and this year it includes the Yanks’ very own Melky Cabrera. There was some confusion on our part whether he had used an option last year (mostly because we were too lazy to look), but he did spend 21 days in the minors last year, eating up his final option. His first option was used when he was sent down following his disasterous 2005 debut, the second option was used when he was sent to Triple-A to start 2006. Melky will have to be passed through waivers to be sent to the minors from here on out.

The only other interesting name on the out of options list is the Rays’ Jeff Niemann. He’ll have a very tough time cracking Tampa’s pitching staff, and I’m sure there will be a ton of interest in the former fourth overall pick.

Categories : Asides

1. There is a God Mo. Gardner for the 5th spot!

2. Oh, and the Yanks should add Niemann, if possible.

3. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Does Melky clear waivers? Given his horrendous production last year, maybe. But a team looking for a 4th OF making little money (1.4 mil) could claim him. He’s a plus fielder with a good arm, he’s a good fit for a team looking for some bench depth.

4. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

If the Yanks lose Melky, there will be protests outside of the stadium that will rival Tienanmen Square.

5. Jake H says:

I wonder if anyone would claim the Melk man.

6. Jonathan says:

What exactly is the rule about options? I thought you were talking philosophically about having ‘options’ until I read MLBTR

• Mike A. says:

Each player gets three options once they are on the 40 man roster. Basically every time a player is sent down to the minors, it uses up an option. Only one option can be used per year, so once a player is send down and called up, he can be sent down as many times as the team wants during that year without being charged extra options.

There are some other technicalities, like if a player is down for less than 20 days total it does use up and option, but that’s the general explanation.

7. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Sorry to go off topic, but Roger Federer is a giant, flaming pussy.

8. A.D. says:

The answer for Niemann is to put him in the rotation and make Price the 8th inning guy, where he belongs!!!1!

Realistically I would think they could move him for some type of bullpen arm

9. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

I have the answer to this. Pay Melky 10 mil per year, then nobody will ever claim him.

• Chris says:

Claiming someone doesn’t bring their contract along. This is what happened with Sexson last year. The Yankees were only paying him league minimum – the Mariners needed to pay the rest.

• Mike A. says:

Claiming someone doesn’t bring their contract along.

Oh yes it does. Sexson was designated for assignment, and then the Mariners choose to release him instead of sending him to Triple-A after he cleared waivers. The Yanks signed him as a free agent.

10. [...] MLBTR by way of RAB, we get the word that Melky Cabrera is out of options. For the uninitiated, Rob Neyer’s [...]

11. Mike Pop says:

I like Chad Gaudin but I don’t think the Yanks have any room for him on the roster. Gaudin and Niemann should generate some interest. They can both be starters.

12. A.D. says:

Its unfortunate they blew an option on Melky last year, but realistically the plan is probably to have him on the 25 man so it shouldnt be too much of an issue

Figure:

21 Nady
    22 Melky
    23 Molina
    24 Ransom

25 wildcard

• Moshe Mandel says:

That wildcard is going to be a reliever, maybe Albie or Robertson.

• AndrewYF says:

WILDCARD, BITCHES!

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Seriously? We’re carrying 7 outfielders?

• Moshe Mandel says:

I count six, which is still a bit more than norm. However, considering Matsui is unlikely to see much, if any, time out there, I would say it is five.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

You’re right, I thought Ransom played some LF last year and he didn’t.

• A.D. says:

Either way he’s not actually an outfielder

We will have 6 guys who have played 1B on the team:
            Tex
            Swisher
            Nady
            Damon
            Posada
            Ransom

• Mike Pop says:

Maybe Berroa beats out Ransom, who knows.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Sure, and Tex could play 3B if he had to, but now we’re just being silly.

You’re proposing we carry 6 OFers, which doesn’t happen very often, and for good reason. I’d rather have a 12th pitcher, God forbid you use your bullpen one night and play an extra inning game the next.

• Ryan S. says:

Bruney
                Veras
                Ramirez
                Aceves/Giese (long man)
                Robertson/Albaladejo/Melancon (wildcard spot)

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Who’s our 3rd string catcher?

Posada is on shaky ground as it is. If you start Molina and then pinch hit Posada, your roster has nobody else who can catch.

• Ryan S. says:

Right now, it would be Kevin Cash probably, and he could always be called up as necessary. If we end up getting Valentin or someone else, I’d rethink how we make the 25 man roster. In my mind, if that happens, you’d almost have to give Melky the starting job and give him another chance to perform. He’ll definitely be claimed through waivers.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

If Molina starts, Posada pinch hits and then gets hurt the next inning, you’re screwed.

You can’t call Cash up in the 8th inning, he has to be on the roster.

• Ryan S. says:

We’re screwed no matter what if Posada gets hurt. Worst case scenario is someone like Ransom or Berroa plays emergency catcher for the final innings of a single game before you can put Jorge on the DL and bring in Cash. As long as Jorge is good to go come April, I think there is more benefit to carrying a 5th outfielder than a 3rd catcher at this point.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

“Sure, and Tex could play 3B if he had to, but now we’re just being silly.”

This from the guy who chewed someone’s head off for insinuating that Matsui be counted as an outfielder, then later made an argument predicated on counting both Matsui and Ransom as outfielders.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

First, I did no such thing. I was (obviously) kidding around with Pablo, but I’m glad to see that you were offended on his behalf.

Thanks for the personal attack, though.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

“Thanks for the personal attack, though.”

It wasn’t a personal attack. You made comments, which I referenced. I didn’t attack you personally in any way (i.e. call you stupid, etc.).

• Mike Pop says:

Oooh, you learned how to link things like that. Showing it off a bit.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

“Oooh, you learned how to link things like that. Showing it off a bit.”

Hah, yeah. I’m like a kid with a new toy.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

“You completely misread my posts with Pablo, insinuating a tone that wasn’t there and failed to note I corrected myself on Ransom. But its nothing personal. Gotcha.”

Actually, no, it wasn’t a personal attack. I responded to comments you made. If my interpretation of your comments or your “tone” is different from yours, that doesn’t make my response a personal attack. A personal attack would be if I called you a jerkface and said I think you’re not intelligent in some snarky way. I didn’t call you dumb, I pointed out that you contradicted yourself. Sorry.

I think you misread my post and misinterpreted my tone. I was being friendly and helpful, and I don’t appreciate you attacking me personally and accusing me of being the kind of personal to launch personal attacks.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

“the kind of personal to launch…>”
                  (my bad)

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Ah, whatever. We both obviously misunderstood each other.

13. That guy says:

Has anyone ever been to a yankee spring training game? Any tips or suggestions for making it a better day? Is it possible to get autographs or anything? I heard its not a too fan friendly place.

14. Reggie C. says:

Imagine if Manny signs with the St. Louis Cardinals. Has there ever been a better 3-4 punch than Pujols-Manny?

15. [...] Melky Cabrera is out of options. If he can’t cut the Yankees 25-man roster, he would have to be designated for assignment. River Avenue Blue looked this up. [...]

16. Tom Zig says:

Do players like A-rod or Jeter have options? I know even if they did, they’d never be used, but I’m just wondering.

• Mike A. says:

Probably. I know Bonds finished with all three options unused. Once a player picks up five years of service time they can refuse an optional assignment though, which is how Giambi was able to say no when they asked him to go to the minors a few years back.

17. Rich M says:

I am not sure but Melky may have one option left. Doing some research I found that MLB doesnt count the day you are recalled.(unless you played in your teams game that day) So Melky was optioned on the 15th of august and recalled on the 4th of Sept. If my math is correct, not counting the 4th gives us 20 days.

• Rich M says:

Actually re-reading the option clause in the labor contract it says “less than 20 days. If thats the case they recalled him a aday late.

E. Optional Assignments
      If a Player is optionally assigned for a total of less than 20 days in one
      championship season, such optional assignment(s) shall not count as
      an optional assignment in connection with the limitation upon optional
      assignments provided for in Major League Rule 11(c). (See Article
      XXI(B).)
      For purposes of counting days on option, the date of the optional
      assignment shall be counted and the date of recall shall not be counted,
      provided that the date of recall shall be counted if the recall takes
      place after the start of any Minor League game in which the Player was
      eligible to play.

18. steve (different one) says:

if Melky is out of options, this probably means that Gardner starts the season in AAA and Melky starts the season as the CFer.

everyone is assuming Gardner will win the job, but if Melky is out of options, they may give him every chance to lose the job before they risk losing him to a waiver claim

• Old Ranger says:

Not a chance of that happening. The bottom line is WIN therefore, the best man for the job, whom ever that may be…we are not dealing with Joe T. here!
      If, perchance, they more or less tie in the hitting department…it has to go to Brett (more valuable on the bases). I guess the point is; Melky has to beat out Brett by a lot, to get the job back. I like the things Brett brings to the table but, whichever one wins, should have the backing of the fans…all the way!

• steve (different one) says:

i disagree that he has to beat out Gardner by a lot.

Gardner has options.

this has nothing to do with Girardi vs. Torre, it’s just being practical.

Melky may get the month of April to prove something. if he doesn’t, he’ll be gone and Brett will be up.

but don’t underestimate the effect of options.

19. [...] is the new 26 / Melky out of options / He’s Not The Biggest [...]