Feb

Open Thread: Girardi names the rotation

cc-in-st_2We’ve had a pretty good idea of what the Yanks’ 2008 rotation would look for weeks now, but Joe Girardi made it official today. CC Sabathia gets the ball on Opening Day, and will be followed by Chien-Ming Wang, AJ Burnett, Andy Pettitte and Joba Chamberlain. I’m glad to see Wang – the senior member of the rotation in terms of consecutive seasons with the team – get the nod for the two hole.

HowEVA, the more interesting story is that the plan calls for Joba to make roughly 30 starts. It’s just a plan, and I think they’re using term loosely at that. You know they’re not going to push him too hard past his innings limit. I think that more than anything, this means they won’t skip him so much on off-days early in the year just to make sure he gets those innings in. When he hits his cap, worry about it then. The playoffs are far from a given in that division.

Anywho, the Yanks actually played a game today, beating the Jays 6-1. Brett Gardner hit a homer on the second pitch of the first plate appearance of the preseason, so helloooooooo World Series! A-Rod hit a two-run jack and drew a pair of walks, Derek Jeter singled, Robbie Cano singled and was hit by a pitch, and Nick Swisher walked twice, once with the bases loaded after an 0-2 count. Austin Jackson and Jesus Montero each picked up a hit after entering the game in the later innings. Brett Tomko started a threw two strong innings, and the prospect quartet of Chris Garcia, Mike Dunn, Steven Jackson and David Robertson combined to throw four shutout innings, the only baserunner coming on a D-Rob walk. They’ll play the Rays tomorrow at 1pm, and the game will be on YES.

Here’s your open thread for the night. The Rangers, Islanders, Knicks and Nets are all in action tonight, and MLB Network will be carrying the Red Sox-Twins game at 8pm. Have fun.

Note: Dave Kaplan, Director of the Yogi Berra Museum on the campus on Montclair State, asked us to mention that some of the Baseball Prospectus guys will be making an appearance to talk about the upcoming season on Sunday, March 1st at 2pm. For more info, call 973-655-6891.

Photo Credit: Reuters Pictures

Categories : Open Thread

1. John says:

Quick someone test Gardner for PEDs…

2. Jamal G. says:

What the fuck: http://tinyurl.com/cnamyo

Really, no Curtis Granderson? Willy Taveras in the top ten? Jacoby Ellsbury number six? God damn you, SCEA.

3. Manimal says:

Giants signed Jacobs long term(4 years) I am so happy, he is the heart and soul of our team. We just need a good back up since he can only play about 12 games a year(Dward is preferable)

4. Melky changed his number to 53. Is it in tribute to a Lazy Latin American Player™.

5. Jimmy says:

I’m sorry for the following stupid question: Which baseball book is the one that everyone talks about and has a bunch of prospect stuff?

6. So I have tickets for the game on 4/18. Who do I get to see pitch?

7. My Geass Makes You My Slave says:

Great Wang’s second. He’s terrible underrated. So CC will have a 20 win season, Wang will have 20 wins or somewhere near that. If Burnett stays healthy will have at least 15 wins and same for Joba. Petitte is a mystery to me but he should get 15 wins too…hopefully.

8. Spaceman.Spiff says:

Woooo, Austin and Jesus!

9. GG says:

Does anyone know of a way to watch games on the computer for free? I remember someone posting something once but I lost it. Really dont feel like paying for MLBtv again this year. Thanks!

10. LC says:

seems like Manny is close to signing w/ Dodgers, but how many times have we heard that this offseason? I wonder if he’ll get his coveted three years

11. J.R. says:

Sean Henn is competing for a bullpen spot with the Twins. Haha.

For the sake of the Yankees, I hope he is in the Twins bullpen.

12. Manimal says:

Mike, if you haven’t watched transformers yet I am personally sending you my copy.

13. Yankeegirl49 says:

I just bought 2 tix off Stubhub for the first Sat game, April 18th. Since it doesnt look like Im getting any package, I had to be sure I was there sooner rather than later.
    Grandstand above 1B..with the fees, $46.50 a ticket.

• Hey, I’m going to that game too!

Terrace, 312, Row 2, $70 per.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

FYI-I have a full season plan and always have tons of extras. I put my extras on StubHub and still wind up with 1-2 games a week.

Pair in Section 210, $60 a piece. I’ve just never figured out how to get the tix and cash exchanged in a way that works for both parties and isn’t too much trouble (I work a lot). If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

EDIT-”I put my extras on StubHub and still wind up with 1-2 games a week that don’t sell.”

• I’ll buy some of those. Do you have my facebook page? Hit me up.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

No, but how would that work?

• Well, I don’t know. If they don’t sell on Stubhub, what happens? I’ve never sold tickets before.

Does StubHub let you know the day before that nobody bought your tickets and let you pull them back? Could you hit me up on an email or something on a Monday and say “Hey, Tommie, nobody’s biting on these Tuesday night tickets tomorrow against the Royals, do you want them?”

Because I could probably buy those unsold tickets from you on short notice once or twice this year. How far in advance do your tickets usually get sold?

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Yeah, StubHub would have a date that’s usually 3-4 days before the event where the listing would expire, since it takes a few days for FedEx to deliver them.

But that was LAST year. This year (from what I understand) the tix are all being done electronically, you print them out yourself when you buy them from StubHub, no waiting a few days for shipping. With that being the case, I can just pull the listing a few days in advance and hook somebody up, if I can figure out how.

Its good for me, I’ll know they sold and the closer it is to an event, I wind up taking a loss between the StubHub fees and last minute prices. So I’m happy to break even.($60 is cost)

• Kilgore Trout says:

I’d buy some of those as well.

14. The Evil Empire says:

Question:
    Now that we have Teix, which right side of the infield is better ours or the sux?

15. teix is the man says:

why didn’t teix play today?

16. Jamal G. says:

I used to think Megan Fox was overrated, but then I found out that not only did she have a relationship with a Russian female stripper when she was eighteen, but she said the following to GQ Magazine:

“Look, I’m not a lesbian. I just think that all humans are born with the ability to be attracted to both sexes. I mean, I could see myself in a relationship with a girl – Olivia Wilde is so sexy she makes me want to strangle a mountain ox with my bare hands. She’s mesmerizing. And lately I’ve been obsessed with Jenna Jameson, but… oh boy.”

Yeah, that’s fucking hot.

Oh, and Olivia Wilde is the bisexual doc from “House”; her character is “13″: http://tinyurl.com/d3bmpz

17. Manimal says:

Rebecca I might go to that Saturday game as well! I need to talk to my dad.

18. Jimmy says:

Do you think I should buy tickets on StubHub now or just wait till individual game tickets actually come out. I know how the people you buy from on StubHub don’t actually have the tickets yet, I usually do not bother with StubHub for this reason. However, I am worried that I will not be able to get tickets when they actually come out. Please, any help is appreciated.

19. Manimal says:

Billy Traver in trouble for the sox, bases juiced no outs.

20. Matt says:

#800 for Jimmy C! Woo!

21. Good to know Sean Henn still sucks.

22. Matt says:

Also, I just watched Goodfellas in class so, to everyone, go home and get your fuckin’ shineboxes.

23. Matt says:

I think out of anyone in college basketball, Greg Paulus is the one I most want to punch in the face.

24. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

“5. The AL East will be the best division race ever

No division has ever had three teams win 95 games, but that very real possibility exists in the AL East this season. The Rays (97 wins in 2008), Red Sox (95) and Yankees (89) each made significant upgrades to their rosters. ”

Wait a minute. With the weighted divisional schedule, what would the Yanks, BoSox and Rays have to do vs the rest of Baseball to win 95 games each?

Lets say each team goes 19-19 vs each other. That would mean all three teams would have to go at least 76-48 (.613) vs everyone else. That’s a lot, but not totally crazy.

25. Jamal G. says:

Wow, look at the Knicks.

26. Jamal G. says:

Anyone else think that “Reservoir Dogs” is overrated? I mean, it’s good, but it’s no “Pulp Fiction”, “The Usual Suspects”, “Goodfellas” or other films of that ilk. Oh, and Quentin Tarantino’s it’s-OK-that-his-acting-is-abhorrent-because-he-knows-it-thus-it-makes-it-cool schtict was nauseating in “Reservoir Dogs”.

27. Jake H says:

my obox just crashed and they want me to spend 100 bucks to fix it. Stupid Microsoft!

28. Mattingly's Love Child says:

Do all of you guys live on this site? Definitely not judging anyone, this is by far the best Yankee blog I’ve been to. It just seems like there is a group here that is always commenting, no matter the time of day or night….