Feb

Open Thread: T-Kep’s random Yankee facts

The RAB Open Thread gods blessed us this evening, sending down this gem of a post from the Times’ Tyler Kepner about 25 random facts about 25 random Yankees. Here’s my favorites, with worthless commentary added:

Enrique Wilson – Used to love the science fiction anime DragonBall Z. He had these little characters he’d put up on the shelf of his locker at home and on the road.

And people say A-Rod does weird stuff.

Matt Smith – Was physically unable to straighten his pitching elbow.

That’s pretty crazy.

Rondell White – Had a great sense of humor about himself, admitting that he was injured so often his nickname should be “Ron-D.L.”

That’s great. If you can’t laugh at yourself, you’re not trying.

Chris Hammond – One of the first guys to give out his email address. One night in Oakland he was warming up in the bullpen and a colleague in the press box noted that Hammond was also on Instant Messenger at the same time. I’m sure it was a family member, but still pretty funny.

I love it.

So how’s that for some good ol’ open threadiness? The Islanders are the only local team in action tonight, and Mexico is taking on Puerto Rico in the Caribbean Series at 9pm on the MLB Network. The games have been exciting, very low scoring for the most part. Best of all, none of the players have any plate disciple, so everyone swings at the first pitch and the innings just fly by. Talk about whatever you like, just be nice.

Oh, and for you video game aficionados, the demo for The Show 09 came out today. Give that shizz a download.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Thomas says:

I was personally a fan of Embree’s tattooed wedding ring. Weird.

2. Scott of 3 Kids Tickets says:

Hey,
    This is the first time I’m trying to d/l the podcast from itunes. It’s not there yet. Is this normal?

-Scott

• Joseph P. says:

I’m not quite sure how quickly it shows up in iTunes. Never downloaded it from there. If last week’s was there, it will get there eventually. But I’ll look into it, see if I can ping them after I post it.

3. Arin says:

I’m excited to hear more about the demo. Any thoughts? I’m stuck at work and then have class later.

4. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

How about signing Sheets now, to a Jon Leiber type deal?

We give him 1-2 mil this year while he rehabs, and then a 10 mil team option is he’s ready to go next year.

• My Geass Makes You My Slave says:

Then switching Joba into the pen? I’d like to see if he can handle a full season of it but I still wouldn’t want to risk Sheets and Burnett in the same rotation even on an incentive based deal. If anyone gets injured I’d like to see if the kids can handle it. If not we could pick up Sheets if no one gets him. As for now we should just wait and see.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Well, by the end of this year Joba will likely be in the pen anyway due to his innings limits, and around that same time Sheets would be ready pitch again.

But no, I don’t want Joba in the bullpen and that has nothing to do with this.

• Then switching Joba into the pen?…

That’s gotta be satire. GOTTA be.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

TSJC, after I posted this I saw you post that Sheets is looking at a 9 month recovery. Where did you see that? I thought I heard it was 4-6 months, but I could be wrong.

• It was in the ESPN article linked at the top of the post.

“The surgery would repair the torn flexor tendon in his pitching elbow that kept Sheets from pitching for the Brewers in the NLDS and limited him to just two abbreviated starts over the final 2½ weeks of the regular season. The normal recovery time from the procedure, according to the source, is nine to 10 months.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Thanks bro.

• Yeah. I mean, I know athletes are ruthless rehabilitators (especially when trying to showcase themselves for a new contract), but dude’s about to have surgery to reattach a ligament to his elbow that he intends to whip violently at hard angles with supreme effort more than 100 times in the span of a few hours every five days.

I’m not a doctor nor am I Ben Sheets, but expecting to be ready to go by August or September from an elbow ligament surgery in mid February seems pretty damn optimistic to me.

• Ed says:

I know the article says 9-10 months is normal, but, it’s not.

Pettitte had his flexor tendon repaired in late August ’04. He was ready for normal workouts when spring training began 6 months later.

Mike Hampton had the same surgery in April ’07, then pitched in winter ball in November 7 months later (and promptly tore his hamstring, which I expect someone to blame on the elbow surgery).

Glavine just had the same surgery in late August and is expected to be ready for spring training, again 6 months after surgery.

Scott Proctor had the same surgery this past October and has just started throwing off a mound recently. He won’t be ready for the start of spring training, but it sounds like he’s on pace to match the others with an approximately 6 month time frame.

5. pat says:

I swear to god lm gonna pistol whip the next person who says Leiber

6. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Those fan reactions from earlier today further prove something I discovered during Torre’s much ballyhooed exit in 2007. Some people are more fans of Joe Torre than they are fans of the Yankees.

The Yankees stand for certain things, one of them being expecting excellence year in and year out from the team, a team which will spend whatever is necessary to achieve excellence. They embrace high expectations, the goal is to win it all, every year. Anything less is failure. A team that understands winning means being hated by your rivals, and accepts that as part of the deal.

Torre on the other hand, constantly downplayed expectations, criticized fans for being “spoiled” by the late 90’s run, was often more concerned with being popular with his players and the public than he was in winning games, said “nobody’s going to tell me we didn’t have a successful season” after the 2005 1st round exit. Time and again, when you heard Torre speak and the front office types speak, they clearly weren’t on the same page.

7. Jake H says:

I need the season to start.

8. Matt says:

Adam Dunn and Orlando Hudson project to be worth 5.09 WAR, 2.48 more than Manny alone*. The Dodgers really need to get those two on the phone, if for nothing else aside from getting some leverage here.

9. Mike Pop says:

Can Andruw Jones still play a good centerfield?

10. steve (different one) says:

you’d think Boras would give the yankees a Good Customer discount and throw Jones’ NRI in for free…

11. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

“Who Wins The NL West?

February 4th, 2009 by EJ Fagan

To take a break from Yankee news, I think that one of the more interesting questions in baseball heading into Spring Training is: which team is strongest in the NL West?

Standing from last year:

* Los Angeles Dodgers: 84 wins
    * Arizona Diamondbacks: 82 wins
    * Colorado Rockies: 74 wins
    * San Francisco Giants: 72 wins.
    * San Diego Padres: 63 wins.

Important additions / losses during the winter:

* Los Angeles Dodgers:
    * Lost Derek Lowe, Greg Maddux, Brad Penny, Takashi Saito, Jeff Kent, Andruw Jones, Nomar Garciaparra Angel Berroa, maybe Manny Ramirez.
    * Added: None

The Dodgers are in tough shape. They have losses all around. Derek Lowe’s vacant spot will cause the Dodgers trouble all year, which will leave them praying that Clayton Kershaw can pitch a full workload. A full season of Manny Ramirez could help, but they’ll still be struggling to fill innings. And no, he’s not going to bat .396 again.”

Damn, bit by bit you don’t realize it, but the Dodgers have lost a TON of talent this off season.

Also, don’t tell me they don’t have the money to sign Manny. That’s 42.75 mil they had coming off the books by my calculations, and they’ve yet to sign anyone.

12. A.D. says:

What does “Physically unable to strengthen his pitching elbow” mean?

13. Manimal says:

Demo is out, 1.56 GB.

Go crazy folks, go crazy.

14. i smell 27 (65hughes) says:

were going to destroy the celtics tonight!

15. A.D. says:

You guys really should have done the “what would you do to fix team Y” series that was talked about.

16. Jamal G. says:

You and Joe suck; Paramore is a really great band.

17. Mike Pop says:

Bengals frachise Housh?

18. A.D. says:

Looks like Braves still very much interested in Swish/Nady

19. kenthadley says:

since this is open, how about something from the older guys…..anybody know what ever happend to Ralph Terry? Starting pitcher for 4 WS teams, came back from his Donny Moore event against Mazeroski to be the star of the 62 Series, winning 2 including game 7…..never invited back to close the stadium last year…..

20. YFSS says:

Where do I download the demo?

21. pat says:

Considering Xavier Nady doesnt ever talk or smile it’s gonna be weird seeing him at his press conference for whatever team he signs with next offseason.

22. Brooklyn Ed says:

for those whose downloading the demo, what percentage you at now? right now i’m at 24%, and its been 30 mins already.

23. mike jones says:

does anyone care about what pete abraham likes to eat for breakfast?

24. Jamal G. says:

I just took Cole Hamels deep on an 0-1 fastball with Evan Longoria in the demo of The Show.

25. A.D. says:

Guess that interest/offer that he had from the Yanks didn’t happen

26. Steve H says:

Airball! Airball!

27. Brad says:

I’m still a 2k9 guy…no PS3, and I think the hitting/pitching/fielding system on the 2k games are dope, even with the bugs.

28. Mike A. says:

You know what, based on what I’ve seen this game, I’d be all about giving Bill Pulsipher a MiL deal with a ST invite. Decent stuff, not great, but okay. He could probably get by as a LOOGY in the bigs.

• Steve H says:

I haven’t been paying attention, but what with Pulsipher do you think is better than when they tried making him a LOOGY in the past?

And, oh my Mo, let’s pray that IPK/Hughes/Joba don’t turn into Pulsipher/Wilson/Izzy.

• Mike A. says:

I don’t remember how he was throwing when he tried the LOOGY thing in the past, but he’s throwing okay here. Pitching with a lot of confidence, and if you don’t have great stuff you need confidence to throw it over the plate.

• Steve H says:

Sign him up. I’m sure he’s been humbled by his travels, and probably didn’t have any confidence the last time around. He went from so promising to Kei Igawa pretty quickly, that had to crush the ego.

• Mike A. says:

Yeah, the announcers mentioned that he went through a bad bout with depression and anxiety when he in the middle of flaming out, and he’s gotten help for it and stuff. They said he talks about it openly, which shows that he’s not ashamed and willing to confront it.

• Matt says:

April 8, 2002: Signed as a Free Agent with the New York Yankees.

May 23, 2002: Released by the New York Yankees.

Six games with Columbus, 4 innings, 10 hits, 6 runs, 6 earned runs, 0 walks, 4 strikeouts, 13.50 ERA, 2.50 WHIP.

29. Steve H says:

Speaking of the Perez brothers, check out the excellent sponsorship on either Melido or Pascual’s BR page.

30. Paulie says:

MLB 09 The Show is the most detailed thin I have ever seen! Has anyone noticed in real life that Carl Crawford has a tattoo of a snake or something on his neck…well guess what, that tattoo is in the game. Insane.

• btour99 says:

Yep, it was in last years too.

Want to see something cool?

Next time your on the mound, put the controller down for about 30 seconds, and watch.

31. i smell 27 (65hughes) says:

kg is such a pussy i cant believe what im seeing

32. Jack says:

They have a cousin, too. I’ll be damned.

33. Mike A. says:

Holy shit is this game awesome. New delivery for Hamels.

34. Steve H says:

Since Kobe is shooting 35%, and his teammates are shooting 55%, shouldn’t he pass the ball a little more? No, scratch that, I’m rooting for the C’s.

35. Steve H says:

pierce

36. Reggie C. says:

Rotoworld is reporting that Matt Bush has been designated for assignment which means that a team that now claims him won’t have to keep him on the ML roster. He missed last year due to Tommy John.

Okay. Bush is a long-shot at making the bigs. But athleticism was never a weak point for this former #1 pick. Neither was velocity and up until he got hurt the word around baseball was that he had maintained a feel for pitching. I know the relief corps is already deep and young, but taking a flyer on Bush wouldn’t hurt ….. it’d at least make for increased interest in our farm.

37. Steve H says:

Nice new reply buttons.

38. Steve H says:

Yes Thomas you are right, people will miss them.

D’oh!