My brackets are in pretty decent shape so far, much better than the last few years. Ironically, I paid even less attention to college basketball this year than I usually do. Go figure.
Anyway, here’s your links:
- Now that they’ve been eliminated, the 2009 WBC is the first time since 1959 that Cuba has not reached the finals of an international tournament. That is a pretty amazing accomplishment. (h/t Neyer)
- Speaking of the WBC, I got my first look at the mythical beast known as Yu Darvish the other night. And you know what? The dude is filthy. RJ Anderson at Fangraphs and Harry Pavlidis at Beyond the Box Score both took a look at his start against Korea, Pitch f/x style.
- Joba’s DUI hearing was pushed back a third time.
- This one’s behind the Insider wall, but KLaw ran down the list of players who currently project as first round picks for the 2009 Draft. Right now there’s only fifteen no-doubt-about it first round talents. Last year Law said there were about twenty true first round players.
- Lots of great interviews on the netweb recently: Jason at IIATMS sat down with author Jeff Pearlman, Rays Index interviewedthe team’s principal owner Stuart Sternberg, Brandon Isleib spoke with Twin’s Director of Baseball Communications Dustin Morse, and David Laurila interviewed Shariz Rehman, the D-Backs Director of Baseball Ops. Awesome stuff all the way around.
- The inaugural RAB Fantasy Baseball League (and the Alternate League) are drafting Sunday night. I’m picking 17th (out of 20 teams), and right now I’m leaning towards Jacoby Ellsbury with my first pick. I hear he’s teh awesome. I’ll post my team early next week for you all to bask in it’s fantasy goodness laugh at.
Here’s your open thread for the night. The Isles, Devils, Knicks and Nets are all in action tonight, plus there’s a whole bunch of college basketball games going on. Today’s an off day for the WBC, the semifinals kick off tomorrow night when Korea takes on Venezuela. USA will play Japan Sunday night, and they’ve pushed Roy Oswalt up for the game Anything goes here, just be cool.