May

Game 25: A rainout

Update 2:10 p.m.: Today’s game between the Angels and the Yankees has been postponed due to rain. The teams have yet to announce a make-up date. We’ll have content all afternoon. So do stick around.

==

Right now, my parents are somewhere in the bowels of Yankee Stadium, waiting this one out. The rest of us are just sitting here watching Law & Order the Tino Martinez Yankeeography on the YES Network. The two teams will wait this one out for a while though because the Angels don’t come back to New York this summer.

If this one ever gets started, Phil Hughes will take on Joe Saunders.

Jeter SS
Damon LF
Teixeira 1B
Matsui DH
Posada C
Cano 2B
Cabrera RF
Berroa 3B
Gardner CF

Hughes (1-0, 0.00 ERA)

Categories : Game Threads

1. The radar can be found here

Doesn’t look too promising. What’s worse is that the entire week’s supposed to be like this.

2. Dave says:

Hopefully the rain and loose footing slows angels ridiculously annoying running game.

3. Brendan says:

I have a bad feeling this isn’t going to happen today which completely depresses me. I am so excited to see Hughes go again.

4. yankees=warriors says:

I hope whether they play or not, the decision will come soon. Because I don’t want to stay up waiting only to discover there’ll be no game!!!

5. V says:

I’m watching Indians at Tigers on Extra Innings – I’ve got Cliff Lee and Justin Verlander in different fantasy leagues…

And Matt Laporta’s debut – hopefully he can go on a Ryan Braun type tear ;-)

6. Yankeegirl49 says:

Today & Fri are the only games this week I am NOT going to, glad Im not there today, but hope they get it in…I hate Sunday afternoons with no baseball…actually I hate any day with no baseball.

7. BronxBomber44 says:

Hope they get it in – what am I going to do with myself? I don’t have anymore finals until Wednesday, I guess I could go to the driving range…

8. Jamal G. says:

Wow, Jamaal Magloire is still in the league?

9. southernyankeefan says:

If you are really bored go look at the Lohud comments some are pretty funny. I never realized people could panic so much this early in the season.

10. UWS says:

Boston vs. Tampa is on TBS, in case anyone’s looking to while away some time.

11. jim says:

If this game does get rescheduled, at least Hughes vs. the Sox tomorrow should be pretty sweet

12. How much longer can Francona keep Ortiz in the 3 hole? The guy is a shell.

13. Mike Axisa says:

The good news is that if the game gets rained out, the Angels are the ones that have to travel cross country for the make up game, not the Yanks.

• Does Anaheim ever get rain outs at home?

• whozat says:

I don’t think they have precipitation in Anaheim. Ever.

Though we might be looking at a delay in SF today. Or, at least playing in shitty, spitting drizzle. Boo.

• LiveFromNY says:

Maybe in May and September but it doesn’t really rain there all summer.

• cult of basebaal says:

September IS summer out here.

Often the most miserably hot month of the year.

There may be 1 significant (non-drizzle) rain event in September every 4-5 years.

May is only slightly more likely to see anything more than a drizzle.

April’s really the only month with an actual shot at a rainout, the “rainy” season is over by the end of march in almost all years …

• rafael says:

I swear it’s always freakin’ summer here. It’s hot even during December.

14. Frank says:

I really can’t wait to face Penny. I don’t want this to be a season where we ALWAYS seem to face BOTH Beckett and Lester; like last season when we always seemed to face both Halliday and Burnett.

• 27 this year says:

it wasn’t seemed. The Blue Jays would toy with their rotation all the time to make sure we faced both Burnett and Halladay.

15. Moshe Mandel says:

Arggh. Is there anything worse than rain delays and rainouts? You get used to baseball being played every day, expect a game, and boom, just hours of dead time.

16. Frank says:

Looks like they may be about to call it??? Gotta try and get this game in… wait it out a bit longer and just grind it out. Hughes will make a quick game out of it anyway! :-)

17. Jamal G. says:

I fucking love David Wells. YES needs to get him and pair he and David Cone in the booth.

18. UWS says:

I didn’t think there could an announcing crew out there worse than the FOX guys. I was wrong – TBS is even more hideous!

• The one guy, that one that called the ALDS in 2007 makes me want to break things. He’s such a homer for the Sox it’s not even funny.

• Jeremy says:

Why is the standard for baseball broadcasting on major networks so low? There must be a million people who would work like crazy to have that job.

• Matt ACTY says:

Yup, I’m one of ‘em, haha.

But seriously, it seems like there are no more good announcers left, Kalas (RIP) and Scully aside.

I’m listening to the Tigers guys now, they seem alright.

19. Matt ACTY says:

Verlander is dealing (again) right now.

20. Frank says:

Game has been called.

21. cult of basebaal says:

GAME CALLED.

22. Brendan says:

NOOOO

23. Man we are never gonna live down this Ellsbury steal are we?

24. Bryan says:

Shoot, that means I actually have to work on my exams.

25. Frank says:

I blame A-Rod.

26. 27 this year says:

hey at least we play the game when our team is healthier hopefully. Swish and Nady will be good, Wang might be back, Arod will be back, Bruney will be back, and our bullpen would probably have either gotten rid of Veras or he would be pitching well.

27. Matt ACTY says:

Evan Longoria made that play look absurdly easy.

28. Matt H says:

Common Days off:
    Aug 3rd – both teams are on the road
    Sept 24- Yanks play in LA on the 23rd the night before and going to Oakland

I think that’s it, hmm, this may be one of those where they just wait and see if either team needs it at the end of the year.

• Matt H says:

Add May 24th, but the Yanks are scheduled to travel from Texas to Clev while the Angels are on the coast…

• Frank says:

Wow nice effort! I have no drive to look up something like that.

But they would have to come to NY, no?

• Matt H says:

Well yeah, that’s why I’m saying I think it’s gonna be one of those that they will only play after the reg season if it means something to one of the teams playoff wise.

So does that mean Hughes goes tomorrow? I’m gonna be in the Bronx and would love to see him pitch in person!

• Frank says:

I don’t see any reason why they would skip him they way he pitched in his last start. Unless they don’t want both Hughes and Joba to start against Boston due to inning concerns. In which case I think this would be one of those times to skip Joba to keep his innings down and have Burnett go Tuesday.

• Yankeegirl49 says:

I’ll be there too…and hoping to see Hughes. Actually if he does pitch, I get to go from not seeing him at all this week to seeing him twice since I will be in Balt on Sat as well.

• There’s also

Sept 14th seems the most logical for a makeup date

Both teams are off… Angels start a series in Boston on the 15th, we are at home against Toronto.

29. pat says:

Hahah, ollie perez is gonna be moved to the bullpen

30. miketotheg says:

Tino is my favorite player of all time. I’m so glad we have a defensive first baseman!

• DP says:

Whoa whoa whoa. Take it easy there. It’s pretty obvious that Teixeira is the worst first baseman in the league, if not the history of baseball.

SHUD OF SIGNED MENTAYVITZ!!! HES BATTING .400!!!!!!!11!1!1

31. Corey Nord-Podberesky says:

Good thing the players we got in the pirates trade are healthy and really performing

• DP says:

Yeah, it’s such a shame that Cashman didn’t have access to a crystal ball when deciding on the trade.

32. Matt H says:

At least with Ollie going to the ‘pen, Marte isn’t the most overpaid and ineffective lefty in a major league bullpen!

33. DP says:

Here’s a positive way to spin this: we won a series against the Angels!

34. wackness, I was looking forward to see the best minor league pitcher of our era take a crack at this whole majors thing again….

35. I love this positive thinking.

36. DP says:

Open thread: how much do 2 game series blow?

37. Drew says:

I don’t mind it at all. They are the easiest ones to sweep.

38. simple stating a fact, no one on this site (including my self) can disprove my theory

39. Jamal G. says:

Justin Verlander has emerged as the #1 contender to Zack Greinke’s 2009 Cy Young run.

40. Drew says:

Brad penny pitching on TBS. Go Rays!

• Frank says:

Geez Penny is a dick…

• Frank says:

He really showed up his infield there. Par for the course for a classless, whining Boston baseball team IMO.

• Jamal G. says:

What’d he do?

• Frank says:

You didn’t see it? I saw him yell “Cmon!” at Lugo and he paced the mound… took his hat off… pounded his glove… and was yelling out loud the whole time. Really showing up Lugo IMO. Not the way to react for a #5 starter trying to get his career back on track with a new team.

They got a shot of him patting Lugo on the shoulder between innings… Lugo didn’t respond and didn’t look happy.

41. Jamal G. says:

I love me some Julio Lugo.

42. Matt H says:

Ughhhhhhh, David Cone’s perfect game again, I’ve seen this 100 times…anything else on?

43. Drew says:

Golf, Basketball, Rays Sox on TBS, College Baseball.
    There’s plenty on.

44. Drew says:

Haha TBS announcer: Penny’s ERA is ever so slowly creeping down, DOWN GOES FRAZIER. That was funny.

45. Corey Nord-Podberesky says:

Cueto is pitching a gem

46. Drew says:

Damn Bartlett just missed a homer.

47. ClayBuchholzLovesLaptops says:

Carl Crawford has 5 stolen bases. It seems like the supercaptain is showing his arm again.

• Drew says:

I’d love to pile on with the Tekian bashing, but Penny was doing a horrible job with his delivery and keeping guys close.

• ClayBuchholzLovesLaptops says:

I’m confused. Do the Red Sox have have two guys named Penny? Because you sure are not talking about Brad Penny, the guy who has his Cy Young award pretty much wrapped up already.

48. Drew says:

This jut in: The rays suck again.

49. Matt ACTY says:

Evan Longoria could’ve just ended the game if not for 3 stupid fans. Woops.

• UWS says:

The best part is that one of those dumbasses was wearing a Longoria jersey! All’s well that ends well, though. Extra props to Crawford and co. for running wild on the Sox.