May

Nady cleared to play in Extended Spring

PeteAbe, writing for his actual paper and not the blog, notes that injured outfielder Xavier Nady has been cleared to play in Extended Spring Training. Nady will (or did) begin playing today. I’m assuming that Nady will just DH for the time being, but it’s progress nonetheless. The Yanks begin the NL park portion of their interleague schedule on June 19th, and you can bet they want to have that extra bat available off the bench by then. Alex Rodriguez spent about ten days rehabbing (a far different injury) in EST before returning to the lineup earlier this month. So I’m hopeful that Nady can make it back in time for mid-June.

Pete also mentions that Jorge Posada, Jose Molina and Cody Ransom started working out in Tampa yesterday. Posada could see some game action later in the week. Hip hip, Jorge. (h/t TYU)

1. Bobsebobo says:

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. A.D. says:

But I was just getting to enjoy having Brett Gardner pinch hit for Kevin Cash late in games…

3. Drew says:

Woohoo! I gotta tell ya, I never thought I’d look forward to Nady coming back because I like Swish. We need Nady back on the team. I sure hope he “plays for a contract” as we see so often. :)

4. Tom Zig says:

The question is will Cody Ransom be able to jump onto 60inch boxes?

5. Charlie says:

Great news, Nady is an infinitely more valuable bench player than Angel berroa. Do we know if or when he’ll be able to play the outfield yet??

• tim randle says:

…in what way?

he may be a hugely but quantifiably better pinch hitter, but he can’t play ANY position on the field if he can’t throw…even Inhell Berroa can do that!!!

6. A.D. says:

Is Cody Ransom going to be on the team when he returns?

• Charlie says:

I kinda hope not, he was just awful when he was starting. IMO, Ramiro Pena >> Cody Ransom

• The Lodge says:

That is the question that comes to my mind as well. Does he supplant Pena? I doubt it.

• A.D. says:

You would think not (obviously barring some injury) especially since Ransom would need to come back on the 40 man roster, thus creating a crunch. If Berroa is still on the team, then he can be DFA, but otherwise figure they just roll with Pena.

7. CountryClub says:

Girardi has started to do something very smart. With Matsui struggling and with no clear replacement at DH until Posada or Nady comes back, he should continue to give Arod, Jeter and Cano one day off a week. Let Pena play the field 3 times a week and let the other guys DH on their “off” day. It’ll do wonders for them…especially Arod and Jeter. Take advantage of this opportunity now. Sooner or later there will be too many DH’s on the bench.

8. The bench will look much better once Nady gets back.

9. Mike Axisa says:

Heh, I remember back when Pujols was a rookie, he had some kind of injury, I think it was a wrist but it could have been elbow, but it prevented him from making throws, a problem since he played LF at the time. So in the playoffs they had Pujols flip the ball to Jim Edmonds whenever he had to make a play, and Edmonds threw it in.

You can pull off something like that with a guy ike Pujols. Nady … not so much.

• A.D. says:

That wouldn’t be a bad plan for Damon & Swisher to flip it to Melk.

• V says:

Yup. He flipped it to the shortstop. It was risky, as if he had cut and thrown, it could have been a career ending injury.

It’s the reason he went to 1B.

“Team physician Dr. George Paletta provided details of Pujols’ injury for the first time last week, disclosing that the superstar has a high-grade tear of the ulnar collateral ligament along with bone spurs, inflammation and arthritis in the joint. At some point, Paletta said, surgery that would sideline Pujols for an estimated eight months may be required.”

10. Drew says:

I wonder how many EST games he’ll play. I’d imagine we give him more games than we gave Al.

11. Brendo says:

Matsui has til Nady gets back to start hitting or it’s platoon city at DH.

12. Alex says:

I understand that im posting this comment under the wrong article, but I want to make sure it gets read. How do people feel about Billy Wagner playing for the yanks? I know the yanks and mets don’t trade too often, but I think a deal can truly benefit both sides. I would love to see the Yanks go after Wagner. Maybe offer Kennedy (although he’s currently injured) for Wagner and a B level prospect (even though the Mets dont have many). Kennedy is a solid prospect still yet doesnt really fit in to ANY long term plans for the yanks. We have Sabathia for potentially 6 more years, Burnett for 4, Hughes and Joba forever, and if Wang rights the ship we will surely have him for a while as well. In addition, the Mets have an abundance of bullpen arms and will probable shop wagner and maybe even putz since Parnell has come along great for them. Thoughts everyone?

• Count Zero says:

Eh? Trade IPK for a chance at maybe having post-TJ Wagner for two months? Oh and yeah — the chance to pick up an $8MM option for 2010.

What am I missing here?

• Alex: Please review the commenting guidelines. That you know and acknowledge that your comment is “under the wrong article” does not pardon the violation. Thanks.

• “I understand that im posting this comment under the wrong article, but I want to make sure it gets read.”

So basically, you say that you know you’re breaking the rules, but you’re doing it anyway.

Please, do not do this again. We have an open thread every night for comments like this that get lost during the day. Once again, this type of comment is unacceptable, even with your first sentence.

13. Alex says:

hahahah i had no idea that was a violation. Easy does it guys, I didn’t know there were rules. I’ll be sure never to break the riveraveblues code of conduct again.

14. [...] but there was some uncertainty about what roster move would be made to accommodate Georgie. Xavier Nady is playing in games down in Extended Spring Training, so his return to the lineup isn’t too far [...]