Jun

2009 Draft: Early Morning Thoughts on Day Two

Obviously, it’s very premature to say anything of substance, but I thought the Yanks did a fine job with their first two picks. They landed two premium up-the-middle athletes that can already hit and defend — always a highly coveted demographic. It’s the first time the Yanks have taken a position player with their first pick since they took CJ Henry in 2005, and the first time they used their first two picks on position players since Eric Duncan and Estee Harris in 2003. That’s also the last time they took high schoolers with their first two selections, the last time they kicked their draft off with three straight position players (Tim Battle was third), and the last time they went with three straight high schoolers at the outset.

The hype machine has managed to grab a hold of Slade Heathcott; I’ve seen people compare him to Josh Hamilton and Grady Sizemore already. Just … stop. He’s not those guys, not even close. If the Yankees are lucky, he’s Nate McLouth or Andre Ethier. If they’re lucky. I understand it’s human nature to get excited about things like this, and I’ve certainly been guilty of it in the past. But there’s no need to throw comps around like that. Especially since you’ll look back in two years and blast people like me for overhyping these guys. [/rant]

Here’s a roundup of this morning’s links:

• Baseball America posted a list of the best players still available going into Day Two. South Carolina prep RHP Madison Younginer would be a tremendous pick for the Yanks at #135; he’s 93-97 with a hammer breaking ball and an uber-projectable 6′-3″, 175 lb frame. I’m also a fan of Nevada HS 1B Jeff Malm, who can flat out rake. He’s stuck at first, but the hit tool is special. I’m sure plenty of teams were calling around last night to work out deals so they could grab some of these guys with their upcoming picks.
  • Keith Law posted his best and worst picks from Day One. The Yanks don’t make an appearance in either, but holy schnikees did the Rockies have a tremendous haul. Tyler Matzek plus Rex Brothers plus Tim Wheeler? That’s as good as it gets right there.
  • John Manuel at BA has his three winners and losers, and says the Yanks have some explainin’ to do about the JR Murphy pick since they already have a glut of catchers in the system. I don’t understand why everyone is up in arms about this, having a lot of quality catchers is a good thing. It’s not like they’re going to take playing time from each other.
  • Lane Meyer ran down the players with questionable signability that are still on the board.
  • Anthony DiComo previewed Day Two for the Bombers.
  • Best quote from Day One comes courtesy of Carlos Beltran, who’s nephew Reymond Fuentes was selected 28th overall by the Red Sox: “I’m so happy for him. They’re poor people. He’s going to put his family in a better position.” Beltran in the fifth year of a seven year contract that will pay him $119M.

The draft resumes at noon with Round Four today. The Yanks’ next pick is #135, and then every 30 picks thereafter. It’s the 24th pick of each round. There’s no broadcast today, just Draft Tracker. Hopefully last night’s technical issues are a thing of the past. The liveblog will be up shortly.

Categories : Draft

1. Tseng says:

That beltran quote strikes me the wrong way.

• He needs money to feed his family.

/Spreewell’d

• Tseng says:

The juxtaposition of the quote about his nephew’s family being poor and the fact that he has a 119m guaranteed contract seems to suggest to me that Beltran was supposed to, I don’t know, help out his impoverished family?

• I think that’s what Mike was getting at. We could have a big long ethical debate over whether or not multi-millionaire athletes should provide for their extended families. I’m not sure Beltran’s choice of words were the most judicious here.

• King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

Its not like its really $119MM, its $119 over seven years…and its not really his family, its just like, his brother or sister…

• TeamBoras says:

No where does that state he hasnt helped them out, but ppl have pride, some don’t want to be supported by others.. Not to mention we don’t know the size of his family. Plus he is saying that it will help them kinda an obvious statment..

• Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Who doesn’t have a deeadbeat sister or two in their family?

2. ledavidisrael says:

The yankees pick 135? where does day 2 start? 90? are the picks going to move quicker?

3. GG says:

I totally agree with your take on the catchers situation, it seems like teams are always clamoring for a decent young catcher, so since we don’t want to trade any quality young arms, the abundance of catchers could help get something done with a team when/if we decide to try and fill a need via the trade market.

• Stryker says:

exactly. just take a look at a situation like the texas rangers. they’ve got 3 guys (off the top of my head – salty/teagarden/ramirez) who are, at their worst, MLB average catchers. teams have been inquiring like crazy over them and texas has been asking for some pretty decent guys in return.

it’s a given that the yankees are kinda lacking in quality position players at all levels of the minors and now they’re flexible enough at the catcher position to put together a nice package for a solid prospect or MLB ready guy.

4. A.D. says:

The Manuel quote doesn’t make much sense on the “glut of catchers”. Yeah the Yanks have quite a few but excluding PJ & Cervelli, who are likely back-ups at best, they have one catcher above A ball, he’s played 3 games, and there are questions about his ability to catch (particularly from BA).

On top of that JR Murphy could easily move out from behind catcher.

• whozat says:

Yeah, but his bat plays best at catcher…I’m not really worried about this, though. By the time this kid signs, he’ll play a month in the GCL or at Staten Island, splitting time with Kyle, and that’ll be fine. Next year, Jesus will be at AA/AAA, Romine will be at Tampa/AA, and that leaves Lo-A, the GCL and Staten Island for Weems, Hish, et al. With the DH and extended spring training games and all that, I feel pretty confident that there’ll be ABs for everyone.

5. A.D. says:

Looking at Lane Meyer’s list, still a lot of nice talent available from captain grit Den Dekker to the projectable HS arms.

6. Chip says:

Early prediction: Matt Adams will be our first pick today

7. ledavidisrael says:

What do we think of ryan jackson is he > renfoe?

8. My Pet Goat says:

Well I was going to mention that Sizemore was a third rounder, but then I looked it up and realized the Expos (BTW I really miss that team name.) gave him 2 million. I’m hoping the Yanks aren’t going anywhere near that number with Slade. But still, he’s not Cole and we need to dream on something here, if just for the next couple of days.

9. Am I the only Kevin? says:

Not going to take time from one another? You mean like Austin and Jesus? Or Weems and Higashioka? Catchers need not only to get ABs, but also to play in the field every day for development. You can’t cycle them into the DH spot or have them play a few games at another position (e.g., giving a 3B time at 1B, or moving outfielders around) like you can with other guys.

Is Murphy really that much better a prospect than Higashioka?

10. Mike, what are the chances the Yankees could land Younginer?

11. Simon B. says:

We’re now in the era where “Madison” is actually a name held by adults.

• King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

Wow. Great observation.

Er, maybe horrifying observation would be more accurate…

12. rLr says:

I’m pretty sure Fuentes is the son of Beltran’s first or second cousin, not his nephew.