Jun

Open Thread: An RAB PSA

We don’t like having to do this, but every so often it’s necessary. With the team struggling mightily and losing games in every way imaginable, it’s natural to feel pissed off and frustrated. Trust me, the three of us get just as worked up as you. However, one thing we absolutely will not allow at our site is personal attacks. Not now, not ever. It’s the second item on our Commenting Guidelines, and frankly we’re not asking the world of you guys. Please be respectful of your fellow fans and treat them how you would want to be treated.

Remember, people of all ages and backgrounds visit RAB. For all you know you could be cursing out a 13-yr old kid. We encourage discussion and informed debate here, but blatantly calling people names and putting them down is not acceptable. Attack ideas, not people. Ben, Joe and I have put more time and effort into this site than you can imagine, and we want to maintain what we’ve already created: the best community of Yankee fans on the interwebs.

So, one last time, please just be respectful of each other. It’s okay to disagree, but you can think of better ways to express yourself than cursing at someone or calling them names. Thank you for understanding.

***

On another note, we’ve noticed an increasing number of off-topic comments. We’re fairly heavy-handed in eliminating those because we don’t want a situation similar to the one Matthew Cerrone faced on MetsBlog.com recently to crop up here. For more on that situation, read Cerrone’s entry from May.

To that end, we now have a “Submit a Tip” box in the left-hand sidebar. It’s right below the RAB Info box. You should use it to send us links to news you believe we would find post-worthy or musings or rants. All messages go to the three of us. So please don’t just drop in news about the Red Sox, the Mets or something completely unrelated to the topic. Send it to us or save it for the open threads.

***

Finally, as always, you can keep up with RAB via other means as well. We have a Twitter feed that we tend to update sporadically throughout the day and during most games. Check that out if you’re already on Twitter.

***

Feel free to use this as your open thread for the night. The Mets are playing the Cardinals, but I’ll be watching Texas taking on LSU in Game One of the College World Serie Finals over on ESPN. I guess you can watch House and Lie To Me, but dude, it’s the CWS! Anyway, anything goes here, just be cool.

1. pat says:

Donald Fehr resigned.. Maybe the other 102 names on the list are going to be publicized somehow and he’s gettin outta dodge before the sh*t hits the fan.

• The Artist says:

Its actually around 90-ish. Some of these geniuses actually failed the test twice. Yes, they were notified in advance.

• Chris says:

The MSM keeps reporting that we know 2 names on the list, but aren’t there actually 3 names that we know:

A-Rod
      Sammy Sosa
      Barry Bonds

The whole reason the list was not destroyed was because it was subpoenaed as part of Bonds’ perjury/obstruction of justice case. Maybe I’m wrong, but that would mean that his name is on the list. If he’s not on the list, then the government would not have pushed to have the evidence allowed at trial and the list could have been destroyed (of course, the defense could have pushed to have it included as evidence he was clean, but that didn’t happen).

2. I’m editing what I’ve written (so far) of my novel. Reading size 10 font is HARD.

3. Mike Axisa says:

Great googily moogily. Mrs. Andrews is looking especially yummy tonight.

4. Zach says:

Beltran to the DL, Mets are definately screwed now

5. Alex says:

did we win that protest that Girardi submitted?

• Mike Axisa says:

Not sure, but I doubt it. Those things are never upheld.

• The Artist says:

George Brett says Hello.

• Chris says:

Most of them are related to a missed call (i.e. a player was out, but called safe). Those are never upheld, but if there was a mis-application of the rule there is a chance it would be.

My problem with this specific situation is that there is no penalty for the Marlins. Let’s say we had a similar situation and we pinch hit Damon for the pitcher and put the new pitcher in the place of Gardner. Then come out for defense with Gardner in center. That’s a HUGE defensive advantage over having to put Damon out there. If the only penalty is that Gardner has to come out (which would have been the case anyway), then why not do this every time? Maybe you get 1 pitch, maybe you don’t, but there seems to be a slight upside with apparently no downside.

6. Jose says:

I have a question about the off-topic note. Is it acceptable to post some slightly off-topic things in game threads? Or do game threads have to be completely about that Yankees game on that specific day?

Also, it would be nice if people didn’t always tell people to go to other blogs when they disagree with them. People seem to always tell people to go to “LoHud” or describe comments as “LoHuddish”. There is no need to attack the quality of another blog in addition to a poster.

• There is no need to attack the quality of another blog in addition to a poster.

What if the blog in question has a long track record of being hopelessly swamped by troglodyte morons?

• When we say Go To LoHud we’re not attacking the blog itself, but instead some of the rather moronic things people have said there.

• Jose says:

I guess all I’m saying is if someone says something really dumb, why waste the time to describe them as a type of poster that belongs on another blog?

• Accent Shallow says:

Sometimes we suffer from Ecclesiastes syndrome: there is nothing new under the sun.

We’ve had all the same arguments as other Yankees blogs, about the Santana non-trade, Joba’s proper role, etc etc.

Showing up and posting a long-winded rant about those or similar topics, or about how Girardi should be fired because he made a minor strategic error aren’t going to be received kindly.

Maybe we should be nicer, as Mike says above, but that doesn’t mean rehashing settled arguments.

• The Artist says:

The LoHud link is sort of code over here for saying “You’re too emotional/irrational/uninformed/clueless to argue with” and tells them to go somewhere where they’ll fit in.

You’re right, its not nice. But I think I can speak for most of the regulars around here in saying we don’t want this place to turn into LoHud. Many of us are LoHud/messageboard refugees. Even PA has his reservations, and has kicked around the registration idea from time to time.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

LoHuddish is the quality the the comments. Pete Abe is a good reporter and despite me disagreeing with him on some topics, he does a fine job keeping his blog up. However it has more than its fair share of idiotic commenters.

7. donttradecano says:

Tommie i wanted your take on the latest Knick news/rumors?

1. Jeffries and Hughes to Washington
    2. Frank isola saying the Knicks feel confident they can trade up to grab Rubio.

• 1. I doubt that happens. What does that accomplish for the Wizards, and who else is involved in the deal?
      2. I have no desire at all to move up OR take Ricky Rubio. I’m confident that three of the four players we’re linked to at #8 will end up being better than Rubio (Brandon Jennings, Stephen Curry, Jrue Holliday).

I’d take all three of those far more athletic, far better scoring, and light-years better defending guards over Rubio straight up. The only projected Knicks pick at #8 I’d take Rubio over is Jordan Hill, who looks decidedly average IMO.

I want Jennings.

• Nady Nation says:

Jennings over Curry?

• No, Curry over Jennings, but it looks like Curry won’t be there, and Jennings will.

• Nady Nation says:

Agreed, would you try to trade up for Curry though? I think I might. This is such a key draft for us.

• No. I’m not trading up, because whom/what do we really have to trade up with? We can’t give up Chandler or Gallinari, and nothing else we have would really entice anyone.

Furthermore, the difference between Curry and Jennings is small. Not big enough to warrant giving up valuable pieces in a trade up.

• Nady Nation says:

What is the exact deal with sign and trades? I know Lee and/or Nate can’t be packaged in a deal until July 9, but I’ve read lots of rumors and stories saying there could be a deal agreed to in advance. The logistics seem confusing though.

• Dunno, NBA logistics are retarded.

I’d imagine if we could work out a deal to use Nate or David in a sign and trade for a pick, we’d just tell the team in question to pick whomever we want to pick. I was all over the rumored Detroit’s #15 and Amir Johnson for Lee in a sign and trade, but it looks like Dumars isn’t moving the pick after all.

• pat says:

I’ll take Jennings because he keeps it real.

• Ivan says:

Don’t ya think ur slighting Rubio a little? It’s not like Stephen Curry is all world defensive player. Jennigs is not really a pure PG. Holliday would be my choice though.

• Ricky Rubio’s comp is Steve Nash.

That’s not necessarily a compliment. Rubio is only 18 so he could change, but all reports are that he’s a HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE, ATROCIOUSLY HORRENDOUS defensive player. That, plus the fact that he can’t shoot and isn’t a good finisher, makes me think that Nash (who’s already a very, very overrated player) is probably an unrealistic comp since he just won’t be that good offensively, thus making his defensive traveshamockery more problematic, so his real comp is probably more Jason Williams.

Meaning that Rubio will probably be a decent NBA player because he does have a great passing gift, but he’s far from a lock to be a superstar.

I’ll take Brandon Jennings’s ability to get anywhere he wants on the floor, like Rajon Rondo/Tony Parker and his defensive intensity over Rubio’s wildcard.

• Ivan says:

Understanable. personally I want Holliday. Not a huge Curry fan. To me he’s really an undersize, not so athletic combo guard, who will struggle against longer and bigger wing players.

Jennings might have the highest ceiling, but the lowest floor, and his game reminds me of Marbury, which is great and bad at the same time.

Holliday has the best package of the pgs.

PS: I agree Nash was overrated. Think about it, he has more MVP’s than Shaq and Kobe, talk about a travesty.

• donttradecano says:

1. Not sure who else is involved, but for some reason the wizards want to rebuild their team that went to the second round and miss jared jeffries.

2. Im 100% for Brandon Jennings. I would kill to have him running the point for this team. I dont see Walsh trading up unless he gets another pick somehow, or moves curry or jeffries contract.

My big board not counting big men would be:

1. Jennings
        2. Curry
        3. Lawson
        4. Evans
        5. Holiday
        6. Rubio

• Ivan says:

U like Evans? Ewwww.

• If I had the #1 pick in the draft, I’d take Blake Griffin.
            If I had the #2 pick in the draft, I’d take Tyreke Evans. He’s legit. Super legit. Length, quickness, finishing ability… Evans is the second best player in this field.

• donttradecano says:

Plus, from what ive read hes been impressive in workouts.

ESPNs Hollinger rater has Lawson as the #1 player in the draft, followed by Griffin and Evans.

• He also rated Kevin Love, Joe Alexander, Mario Chalmers, George Hill, and Chris Douglas Roberts as better prospects than Derrick Rose last year, so…

Hollinger’s rankings aren’t exactly the bible.

• Ivan says:

The problem wit Hollinger, is that he tries to use sabmetrics in basketball like baseball. Two totally different sports and really sometimes don’t explain as much in basketball like Baseball.

• Moshe Mandel says:

Just to elaborate on Ivan’s point, basketball is much more of a team game than baseball, which makes it much more difficult to quantify an individual’s impact. Look at how hard it has been to distill a pitcher’s performance so as to evaluate him without mixing in the luck and fielding that altered the result- basketball is a team game all the time- you have that problem in every evaluation you do.

• Moshe Mandel says:

Hollinger is sort of a pioneer in statistical research of basketball. However, the problem with trusting his data is that pioneers are often wrong, or at least limited- they dont have a lot of people critiquing their work, so they keep making faulty assumptions and mistakes. Some of Bill James earliest stuff has since been ripped to shreds. Hollinger’s stuff is decent, but I wouldn’t use it to make any sort of serious judgements on players or teams.

• donttradecano says:

From 2002 to 2007, 15 players were (a) among the first 10 collegians drafted and (b) excluded from the top 12 by the Draft Rater. In other words, these were the college players the Draft Rater thought were drafted too high. Of those 15, not one has played in an All-Star Game. The only two who have started a significant number of games in the long term have been Kirk Hinrich (who was 13th in the Draft Rater in 2003) and Charlie Villanueva.

• Carlos Boozer was the 26th collegian taken in 2002; Draft Rater had him second.

• Josh Howard was 17th in 2003; Draft Rater had him fifth.

• Danny Granger was the 13th collegian in 2005; Draft Rater had him third.

• Rajon Rondo was the 16th collegian taken in 2006, but Draft Rater had him second.

• Rodney Stuckey was the 14th collegian chosen in 2007; Draft Rater had him fifth.

8. Tom Zig says:

Is house a new episode?

9. Since there’s no Geico trivia question, I’ll ask tonight’s Final Jeopardy question.

Category: Presidents On Film
    Answer: “Filmed signing a bill into law, in 1895 he became the first U.S. President to appear on moving film.”

I’m shocked that all three contestants got it wrong. I don’t expect most Americans to know who was president in 1895, but I do expect at least one of the three people smart enough to make it onto Jeopardy to know that. Shocking.

10. Thanks to RAB, I’ve now decided that the protagonist of my novel probably pees on his hands.

11. pat says:

Hey Ben, in your infinite subway knowledge do you know where the RCC is located?

12. Anyone says:

More John Henry (The new Hank Steinbrenner) Tweet trash:

During yesterday’s game:
    Papi just hit one into the strongest wind I’ve seen here. Happy Fathers Day to all dads. Awful wet for a knuckler. 3 ahead of $400m offseason

He sure is VERY bitter.

13. Ivan says:

Outside of LeBron, Who would u sign in 2010?

Wade, Amare or Bosh?

14. I, for one, am very disappointed that Mike didn’t tell us to watch Jon and Kate Plus 8 tonight. Who’s with me?

15. I saw this in an earlier thread, the draft recap thread I believe, about making cross racial comps. and I just thought I’d throw it out there that I said if all goes 10000% right for Brett Gardner, he’d be like Willie Randolph–average BA, good OBP, low SLG, good defense, good baserunning.

16. Zach says:

Texas is teeing off

17. pat says:

Fuckin A back to back to back jacks.

18. Any of you ever listen to Vitamin String Quartet?

I think I’m in love.

19. Jake H says:

RAB your the best. Hopefully we can move past this because this is the best Yankee community on the web.

20. Alex says:

I’d be willing to bet a small fortune that Pedro is on that list of 102. Any takers?

• The Artist says:

Alfonso Soriano.

You don’t have to be big to be a juicer. He’s got crazy power for such a wiry guy.

• Alex says:

I can’t wait for the day until I see it. Nothing will give me more joy than to see Pedro’s name on it.

• Steve H says:

Agreed.

Published: Friday, Feb. 15, 2002
          FORT MYERS, Fla. — Pedro Martinez was a strange sight in the Boston Red Sox clubhouse Thursday — more muscular and, for a change, an early arrival at spring training

Credit an offseason program in his native Dominican Republic during which he lifted weights regularly for the first time. He said he took just seven days off and spent so much time in the gym that he sometimes didn’t get to his boat, where he listened to music, until 10 p.m

Standing bare-chested by his locker the day before pitchers and catchers were due to report, the difference in the 30-year-old Martinez was obvious Thursday.

His chest was beefier, his biceps more defined. He hopes the extra strength and conditioning will keep him off the disabled list for the first time in four seasons.

Martinez is only 5-foot-11 but he reported at about 190 pounds, 12 pounds heavier.

“When I saw my arms getting so big I was like, ‘Wow, it looks good,’ ” he said with a smile. “But I don’t know, is it going to be heavier to bring it up to throw the curveball?”

“I’m not a small man anymore,” he said. “Hopefully, I’ll keep most of the weight.”

• Here’s the list of baseball players who took steroids:

Everbody.

[end of list]

Happy now?

• GG says:

If Alex (and even Barry as well) is kept out of the HOF, they should change the name of it to “HOF pre mid 1990′s”…Alex is an incredible talent who I wont bother to defend b/c we all probably have strong feelings already for him one way or another. Barry is one of the best players ever PRE ROIDS.

• Steve H says:

Except for any Red Sox players.

• The Artist says:

For Alex’s sake, he should hope that there are a bunch of HOF types that nobody thinks did it. Someone like John Smoltz, Tom Glavine or Bowie Kuhn.

Even better for Alex, if a guy who’s already inducted shows up on that list, then it makes it even harder to keep him out.

21. GG says:

A-rod 3rd, Tex 4th anyone?

22. pat says:

Wow, that dude’s quick.

23. I never understood why guys slid when they didn’t have to.

24. pat says:

They need to round up all of Travis Henry’s baby mama’s and all his illegitimate kids, put them in a house I’d watch that ish.

• Steve H says:

He didn’t celebrate father’s day yesterday, he’s celebrating father’s week. Can’t get it all done in one day.

25. The Artist says:

“Open Thread: An RAB PSA”

Oh no. I hate needles.

26. Dela G says:

this comment section is nails tonight

lots of laughs

27. Steve H says:

Nolan Ryan anyone? Throwing high 90′s into his late 40′s, and leading the league in k’s 4 straight years starting at the age of 40?

Cal Ripken? 2600+ straight games?

Jim Rice? Fear came directly from his famous roid rage incidents in the clubhous.

Carlton Fisk? OPS+ starting at age 40:155, 136, 134. As a catcher.

Plenty of possibilities there.

28. donttradecano says:

Allen Iverson=HOF?

29. Zach says:

bandbox in omaha

30. dkidd says:

the moneyball movie is in trouble. we may never get to see dmitri martin play paul depodesta

31. pat says:

haha damn that pitcher is fast as hell too.

32. Steve H says:

As mentioned above, this has been a great chat. In fact, it’s a major improvement in a very short time. Does it need an asterisk?

33. pat says:

I have a feeling comments can and will get alot funnier after our first RAB day at the stadium and we all meet. I know I for one, hold back on making alot of jokes because I feel like I don’t know people well enough and don’t want to offend anybody.

34. Old Ranger says:

From Pete Abe;
    “More Brett Gardner: The Little G is 15 of his last 43 and has his batting average up to .284 with a .358 OBP. Melky Cabrera is 12 of 62 since his shoulder injury in Texas. He is down to .282 with a .340 OBP. Melky has more power and should play his share. But Gardner could add the energy the Yankees have lacked lately and is a superior defender.”

Along with Cervelli and Robertson.
    May I say “I told….” nah, forget it! Just being right is enough.
    The “Kiddy Korp.” is in full swing, they will never be big time stars but, they could be very helpful for the Yanks.
    “Kiddy Korp”: Gardner, Cervelli, Robertson, Phil, Pena and of course Joba.

• The Artist says:

and our new setup man, Phil Phranchise.

• To quote Winston Wolf, “Let’s not start sucking each other’s #$%& quite yet.

They’re both fringy starters. Whomever is hot plays. Right now, that’s Gardner. A month from now, it will probably flip-flop.

If anyone’s entitled to say I told you so, it was me with my advocacy for Mike Cameron, who’s 248/.356/.469 (117+) and superior CF defense (+5.3 UZR) trumps anything Gardner or Melky have given this year.

• Steve H says:

+1 on the Cameron bandwagon. He’s a poor man’s Torii Hunter, though surprisingly not as poor as one might suspect.

• Old Ranger says:

Except for the fact of both Melky and Brett are much younger and hopefully have room for improvement, whereas Cameron is older and not much room for improvement.
        Cameron 36 yrs. old and numbers are from playing everyday, Brett/Melky haven’t been playing everyday, so the UZR numbers don’t apply.
        Brett has numbers that stack up very well I should think, don’t you; .284/.358/.403?
        With the difference in age and numbers, I would say Brett is the better player. Where do you get the “superior CF defence” how many errors has Cameron made this year, Brett doesn’t have any, and he covers much more ground.

• Old Ranger says:

Added note…Bretts UZR is 5.5.
        Again, “superior CF defence”?
        No disrespect but, I think Cash did the right thing in not going after Cameron. I think as Yankee fans we hope both Melky and Brett do as well (or better) the rest of the way.

35. Bill R says:

Is that what happened to AXL haven’t seen him in a week?

36. Three homers at Citi tonight…bandbox.

37. Dorian says:

Erin Andrews in rare form tonight. God, what I would do.

38. donttradecano says:

Tommie- cant find the comment about PG in 2010 if Evans is drafted, but i came to a conclusion that you may not need one. Wilson Chandler is working on his ball handling inorder to start at the 2 in 2009, so if he can improve enough you would have Evans, Lebron and Chandler ass ballhandlers thus negating the need for a true PG in the starting lineup.

But im getting ahead of myself.

39. pat says:

This kid Ott has some dirty dirty movement on the FB.