Jun

Scott Proctor: Recovering Alcoholic

T-Kep writes about reliever Scott Proctor, who has admitted to alcohol abuse while with the Yankees and said it affected his performance at times. Mariano Rivera urged the righty to straighten his life out, but it wasn’t until recently that Proctor actually did. Although the team hasn’t admitted as much, it sounds like his off-the-field activities factored in to the decision to trade him back in 2007. The most important thing is that Proctor, married with three young children, has finally gotten his life back together. Currently out with Tommy John surgery, Proctor said he’d love to rejoin the Yanks when he’s heathy. (h/t Pinto)

Categories : Asides

1. Accent Shallow says:

I’d rather have him than Veras. Oh, wait. :)

2. My Pet Goat says:

I remember 2009 as if it was yesterday…

3. Zach says:

I blame Torre

• Mike Pop says:

He had nightmares of Torre coming out to the mound signaling for the righty.

• Zach says:

In all seriousness you hope he gets better, elbow gets healthy. Id love to see the Yankees give him a minor league contract and invite to ST, ive always like Proctor, i think all Yankee fans did.

But in the article he says himself that it does have an effect on his game, effected his consistency. But everyone will sit here and blame Torre for his inconsistency, and his injury 2 years later, after his original injury that he hid from the Dodgers.

4. Mike Pop says:

I always liked Proctor, not to mention I only thought the Yanks had a 3 man bullpen at that time. Him, Almighty Mo, and Krazy Kyle.

Good to hear he’s off the booze.

5. gxpanos says:

This is sad. Scott was a machine in ’06 for the Yanks, and never complained about the blatant over(ab)use. He was a an intense competitor (remember when he burned his glove one time after a bad stretch?) and a stand-up guy. I wish him well, and would love to see him pitch again effectively after TJ and AA.

6. Mike says:

Best wishes to Scott. Glad he’s getting help.

7. Lanny says:

I’m sure people will blame Torre for this too.

8. Sam P. says:

Proctor was maddening at times with the walks, or letting inherited runners score, but there are much bigger things in life than baseball. Getting yourself under control due to abusing alcohol certainly falls in that category. Congrats to Scott for making it a priority to straighten himself out, and best wishes to his future success – on and off the field.

9. dan says:

I had no idea–never heard anything about this before. Let’s hope he stays clean.

• Bob Stone says:

I was very surprised as well. There are usually some rumors or rumblings. As an example, there were lots of stories about Derek Lowe the year before he left the Red Sox for the Dodgers.

I also wish Scott well and wouldn’t mind seeing a successful return to the Yankees.

10. Charlie says:

i don’t know much about proctor, i didn’t watch much baseball a few years ago. By the way, Dice-K to the DL. No suprise there. The WBC is clearly horrible for Major league players. I can’t think of anyone who WASN’t hurt during it

11. Manimal says:

Is that why he used to burn his gloves?

• CW says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was bombed when he did that. That always struck me as weird.

Regardless, I wish him the best.

12. Dave says:

Always liked proctor, mostly because of his attitude towards his job. Very professional (at least in interviews) about how it’s his job to go out and get outs, regardless the situation or amount of use. Wanted the ball everyday. Phil Coke could use some of his attitude.

13. King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

Happy Fathers Day Scott. Good luck with your disease.

I would love to see him in Pinstripes again.

14. Jack says:

Good for Proctor. Too bad Torre blew out his arm with overuse. Check this out- Looks like Torre is still ruining bullpen arms-

15. [...] The Unknown Is Troubling Yankee Hitters  / Proctor: Recovering Alcoholic [...]

16. [...] Today’s the day, the day that teams can expand their rosters and the day Jesus Montero finally joins the big league team. Mark Feinsand reported late last night that three others will be getting the call: Brandon Laird, Chris Dickerson, and … wait for it … Scott Proctor! I’m dead serious. The Yankees must have promised him a call-up when they signed last month, and remember, he spoke about wanting to rejoin the team two summers ago, when we learned about his alcoholism. [...]