Jul

Brett Tomko, we hardly knew ye

As the Yankees prepare to hand the ball over to Sergio Mitre tonight, the team needs to clear a space on both the 25-man and 40-man rosters. Mercifully, they have opted to designate Brett Tomko for assignment rather than sticking Mark Melancon or David Robertson back on the Scranton shuttle. The Yankees now have ten days to trade the right-hander or else they will release him. Tomko, 36, was 1-2 with a 5.23 ERA in 15 games out of the pen. His tenure on the Yanks won’t be remembered at all.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Sam says:

OH HAPPY DAY!

2. pat says:

Brett Tomko, we hardly knew ye

Not necessarily a bad thing…

3. thebusiness says:

This one hurts.

4. Jersey says:

Brett who?

5. leokitty says:

He’ll be filed in my memories with all the other “ack there’s no one left in the bullpen to pitch in extra innings now we’re gonna lose” guys over the years.

Hooray.

6. Manimal says:

Well now he has time to finish up that painting of Hughes.

7. His tenure on the Yanks won’t be remembered at all.

Remember, Marines die. That’s what we’re here for. But, the Marine Corps lives forever. And so, you live forever.

8. Dela G says:

DID HE FINISH THE PHIL HUGHES PAINTING?

DOES ANYONE EVER THINK OF THE CHILDREN??!!

[/overreaction

• Actually, the proper overreaction would have been to be pissed that it wasn’t Cody Ransom being DFA’d.

• zs190 says:

In fact, Cody Ransom is starting again tonight, /diesalittleinside

• I Remember Celerino Sanchez says:

I believe defense is important. But, on a once-a-week basis, is there that much of a defensive difference between Hinske and Ransom at third?

UZR150 for Ransom at 3B this season (19 games): -34.6
          UZR150 for Hinske at 3B this season (4 games): -55.3
          (In small samples, both had positive UZR150s last year, in the 30s)

My point is, how much do you really lose defensively with Hinske at third instead of Ransom? And even with a lefty, you gain so much at the plate.

Clearly, when Derek or Cano need a rest, you have to go with Ransom. But for A Rod? I’d use Hinske.

• Zach says:

Well tonight they’re facing Rich Hill and he is a lefty and Hinske cant hit lefties, but I guess you can make the argument that Ransom doesnt hit at all.

• I Remember Celerino Sanchez says:

Hinske v. lefties this year:

.333/.455/.593

Okay, small sample (33 plate appearances), but still. He is more likely to contribute than Ransom.

• Chip says:

I think the more important issue is, why on Earth does Melky continue to get starts over Gardner? I realize that Girardi seems to think that he can’t hit lefties but he’s so damn valuable in the field that I don’t know why Melky continues to get at-bats.

• Jon G says:

My thoughts exactly. Every day that Gardener isn’t starting.

Why not ride the hot bat — since June 1, Gardener is hitting over .300, but Melky is at 230.

At some point, you have to give Gardener a shot against lefties if Melky isn’t getting the job done…

• Riddering says:

Didn’t A-Rod just get a week off? What a bum!

9. Ivan says:

But he didnt get to finish Phil Hughes picture.

10. A.D. says:

A bit surprising, but appreciated

11. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

I’ve just gotten confirmation that Tomko will be at Old Timers Day in 2010.

12. Ivan says:

Wouldn’t a move like this tells you a little bit that Hughes might be in the rotation?

Considering they could of sent down Melancon and/or Robertson but opted to release Tomko, they might be saying hey lets have some tryouts with Melancon and Robertson and if they succeed, they maybe they can take over for Hughes and Hughes gets his rotation spot back.

13. sabernar says:

The thing is, Mitre isn’t going to pitch any better than Tomko. People shouldn’t get too excited about 10-23 Mitre. Tomko had a 5.23 ERA as the last man in the bullpen. Check the other teams; that’s not too bad.

• I Remember Celerino Sanchez says:

And a 1.258 WHIP.

I’m not saying I thought Tomko was good. I’m just saying people were a bit hysterical about a garbage-time, last-arm-in-the-pen, can-let-him-sit-for-two-weeks-without-retarding-the-growth-of-a-young-guy reliever.

• CountryClub says:

According to all reports, Mitre’s FB is up a couple of ticks since he had TJ. So who knows, maybe that drops his ERA into the mid 4′s. Plus, he did have a real good stretch once in his career. We’ll know soon enough.

• I Remember Celerino Sanchez says:

I was talking about Tomko’s WHIP.

Mitre wasn’t a part of this point. My point was simply that people have a hysterical hatred for Tomko, and while I wouldn’t say he was good, of course, I will say that for a last-guy-in-the-pen role, he was adequate. You don’t want Melancon or Robertson sitting two weeks without pitching. But you cand do that to a vet like Tomko.

• CountryClub says:

I was replying to the guy above you.

• That’s lazy roster construction though. When you have better pieces, why waste it on some guy who just isn’t very good?

• I Remember Celerino Sanchez says:

You are overstating my support for Tomko.

In an ideal world, no, you don’t want him in your bullpen.

But, if you read the comments here (which you do), you know that people write about him like he was completely useless and totally incapable of getting an out in the majors.

My point is very simple: To have a last-guy-in-the-pen reliever with a 1.258 WHIP is not the worst thing. He’s not utterly useless.

• pat says:

The thing is, Mitre isn’t going to pitch any better than Tomko,

That’s speculation holmes.

14. Jake H says:

I am holding back from crying right now.

15. 27 this year says:

this is called addition by subtraction.

Unlike many, I have a feeling Mitre is going to do well. At the very least, if he does well, we are set.

16. LiveFromNewYork says:

Thank Mo!

17. They have ten days to trade him, right? Tomko for Halladay. Straight up.

S.T.E.A.L.

18. JobaWockeeZ says:

20 bucks says the Mets signs him.

19. For lack of a more creative name... Alex says:

Wow it actually happened.. and now I’m actually kinda sad.

20. Chip says:

So the bullpen is no Mo, Hughes, Bruney, Coke, Ace, Robertson and Melancon? I’m actually incredibly ok with that.

I’d imagine we’ll probably see some Bruney and Melancon tonight as it’s been a while for them. Isn’t it wonderful that our new problem is finding innings for the bullpen?

21. tampayankee says:

Not to be redundent…Yiiiiiiiiipeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    They must have broken his blackmail scheme.

22. LiveFromNewYork says:

Tomko reported said that he was never allowed to get on a roll. I don’t know. He’s not one of the relievers people were ever screaming to bring in.

And where in the world is Brian Bruney? (I asked this question in last night’s game thread just as Matsui came up to bat).

• Sam P. says:

Isn’t Bruney in the bullpen?

(I’m just giving you a hard time)

I would definitely think he’d be getting some work in tonight. Maybe the 6th or 7th?

• I saw that too, but what exactly did he do to warrant the Yanks letting him “get on a roll”? He gave up runs in 7 of his 15 appearances and threw just 60 percent of his pitches fro strikes. I wouldn’t trust him in any sort of important situation.

23. Rich James says:

I would like to say this to brett tomko:

24. Tank Foster says:

How many of us are stars in our own chosen field? Just imagine being Brett Tomko. He’s a guy with talent, who was good enough to get to the majors. He spends his life going from team to team, city to city, minors to majors. He got some guys out for the Yankees, ate some innings and therefore saved some arms.

Here’s to the Brett Tomkos of the world.

• Salty Buggah says:

Though he’s made millions of dollars still.

• Bruno says:

And realized 95% of his boyhood dream. I wouldn’t mind having Tomko’s career.
        Of course I’d rather take Mo’s, but I’m sure if we were all given the choice between Tomko’s career and blogging we’d all walk Tomko’s path in a cocaine-heartbeat.

• sabernar says:

Amen. I, for one, appreciate what Tomko did for the Yankees this season. With infrequent use, he ate some innings got some outs, and, all in all, did a decent job being the last man out of the bullpen.

25. Klemy says:

I will not miss Tomko in the least.

26. Lanny says:

Tomko will be remembered when we realize we let 3-5 games go because he pitched.