Jul

Kennedy, on the mend, eyes winter ball

When Ian Kennedy went down with an aneurysm in late April, he had put together a very fine string of four AAA starts. Over 22.2 innings, he had a 1.59 ERA and had allowed just 18 hits and seven walks while striking out 25. Considering the state of the Yanks’ fifth starter, odds are good Kennedy would have gotten another shot at the Bronx. Today, Ken Davidoff checks in on Kennedy, and the right-hander is progressing nicely. He is already throwing on flat ground and seems to be ahead of schedule. While Brian Cashman does not expect Kennedy to be ready to pitch in New York this year, he told Davidoff: “It’s possible he’ll see minor league action though, and he’s a definite winter-ball candidate.”

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

That’s good, I think Kennedy (if not used in any trades) could be a very effective long reliever in the pen. He was off to such a great start this year in AAA.

2. Tom Zig says:

IPK smells redemption in 2010

3. Salty Buggah says:

I hope he reaches his ceiling and become a cost-controlled valubale starter for the big league club.

4. Andy says:

Kennedy is terrible. He should have been traded when his value was high.

5. Jon G says:

I am rooting for IPK to come back strong and be there next year to do what Mitre did yesterday, if needed…

I agree that the way he was pitching in April, I thought he’d be up here by now, and he may well have been.

Here’s to wishing IPK a speedy and effective recovery, and a strong bid competing for a role on the MLB squad in 2010.

6. thebusiness says:

Kennedy will be the 6th starter next year.

Kennedy/McAllister/Nova will make for solid rotational depth behind the top 5.

Kennedy
    McAllister
    Nova
    Mitre
    Igawa

Might be the best starting 5 in AAA next April.

7. I’ve still go hope for IPK.

8. Manimal says:

I’m confident he will return and shatter Igawa’s Career AAA win total.

9. Dorian says:

Nobody dominates the Minors the way he did and just washes out as a Pro. Granted he was older but his statistics were actually better than Hughes while he was in the minors. NOT TO SAY HE WILL BE MADDUX OR ANYTHING CLOSE but as a reference I believe Maddux’s ERA was in the mid 5′s early in his career. I still believe in Ian a lot.

Actually now that I looked it up. Greg Maddux had a 5.59 in his first 186 innings pitched. Let’s not give up on IPK just yet.

• Salty Buggah says:

Good points. No one is yet unless they’re insane.

• Or, even if you don’t like the Maddux comp, just remember this:

The majority of the early struggles of Kennedy, Hughes, and Chamberlain are all probably related to the same thing: All three of them were pitching in the majors at ages where most of their peers were still trying to master AA and AAA. I think all three of them will be much better pitchers at 25 than they were at 22.

Talent is sometimes a double-edged sword: It allows you to master the simple things quicker, and thus, sometimes be overmatched by the hard things because you’re confronting them with immaturity.

• RAB poster says:

I just don’t think Kennedy’s stuff is that good.

• pat says:

Ian Kennedy is a timid version of Ace. Ace is Kennedy who is not afraid to throw strikes.

• RAB poster says:

I think Ace has better control and a better breaking ball.

• No, I don’t think any of Ace’s breaking balls are any better than Kennedy’s. Ace is effective even though he has no real plus pitches because he spots the ball well and throws multiple pitches to all corners and keeps hitters off balance, and he doesn’t walk guys.

That’s the exact scouting report on Ian Kennedy, btw. Great control, multiple good pitches (but no putaway pitch), keeps guys off balance, doesn’t walk guys.

His problem at the moment is he walks too many guys. Because he’s afraid to challenge them. Because he’s young.

• V says:

And kids can learn how not to be afraid of throwing strikes. See: Hughes, Phil.

• RAB poster (perhaps soon to be known as Rocky Road Redemption) says:

Of course kids can learn how to throw strikes. But Hughes needs to do it out of the bullpen to convince me.

• But the historical record says Kennedy has been not just good, but unbelievably dominant at every level other than the bigs.

It could be that his stuff isn’t that good, or it could be that he hasn’t adjusted yet to the bigs and that he’ll get better with more reps, like many other young pitchers with good pedigrees.

Sergio Mitre, 2003-2004 (ages 22 and 23)
          15 games (2-5), 60.1 IP, 6.86 ERA, 1.823 WHIP, 6.0 K/9, 3.6 BB/9, 12.8 H/9, 1.0 HR/9

Ian Kennedy, 2007-2008 (ages 22 and 23)
          13 games (1-4), 58.2 IP, 6.14 ERA, 1.670 WHIP, 6.4 K/9, 5.4 BB/9, 9.7 H.9, 0.9 HR/9

• RAB poster (perhaps soon to be known as Rocky Road Redemption) says:

True.

But watching him I didn’t like his stuff.

If I’m wrong then we all go home happy and Kennedy becomes my new favorite player.

• pat says:

Word, well when all he’s doing is falling behind batters and getting smacked around it’s not hard to dislike the kid. JUS GIVE A BROTHA A CHANCE!

10. Joba-To-the-pen says:

The idea that Kennedy will ever have a place in this rotation is as crazy as thinking HUghes and Joba will ever both be starters on this staff.

These pitchers are good but none of our farm pitchers or young guys are ever gonna dominate like Verlander.

11. Accent Shallow says:

I think Kennedy suffers from the association with Hughes/Chamberlain — his stuff isn’t nearly as good, nor is his ceiling as high.

That doesn’t preclude him from being a successful major leaguer someday, thought.

12. [...] Kennedy is on the mend and the Yankees are apparently hoping he will pitch winter [...]