Jul

The Return of Shelley Duncan

Via Chad Jennings, the Yanks have called up Shelley Duncan. No word on a corresponding move, but most likely either Jon Albaladejo or Mark Melancon will be optioned out. Calling up Shelley also requires a 40-man roster move, but they can easily slide Xavier Nady or Chien-Ming Wang to the 60-day DL. Scheduled to face three lefty starters the next three games, expect to see Shelley get himself a handful at bats.

Categories : Asides

1. Charlie says:

oh, fuck. it better at least be albaladejo optioned

2. Tony says:

I want Girardi fired if Duncan plays even an inning of outfield defense.

3. Brian says:

Yeah!!!!!! Shelley!!!!!!!!!!!

4. mryankee says:

Ok anyone out there think Casman will make a last minute deal? I cant see how they continue with AJ-CC-Pettite-Mitre and put Joba in pen at his innings limit-Someone tell me Cash wont let the sox trade for the pennant-via Halladay-Martinez-Gonzalez-I think this team has come to far for that

5. C Bleak says:

My guess is he picks someone up at the last minute. Someone will call with a last ditch effort to give someone up to save money.

6. Tom Zig says:

I hope he autographs something with Red Sox suck.

7. mryankee says:

I know there is a thread but I wanted to discuss it herer, who cares about shelley duncan, he is a stiff. I hope Cashman pulls out a deal for Halladay at the last minute-anyone disagree?

8. mryankee says:

Ok I woould not want to be accused of thread jacking-How can anyone be against the idea of adding Halladay? Obviosuly pending the correct package in return.

• Charlie says:

just don’t respond to him

• Johan Iz My Brohan says:

No one is against the idea of adding him, they are against the idea of having to trade the farm to get him. It isn’t worth seeing a guy like Montero become a beast on another team in your division and have to face him for the next decade.

• I Remember Celerino Sanchez says:

mryankee, meet the reply button.

Reply button, meet mryankee.

I hope you two will have a long, happy life together.

But, I hope mryankee will cheat on the reply button to spend some quality time with the commenting guidelines, so he will stop, for example, demanding to talk about Roy Halladay on a Shelley Duncan thread.

9. Muel says:

Shelley’s only being called up as a late-inning-defensive-replacement for melky in center.

10. Tony says:

Shelley Duncan reminds me of other “gritty” and “intense” players the Yankees allowed to overstay their welcomes based on the 3 weeks a player gets before the scouts catch up to him. I never wanted to see this guy again.

11. I Remember Celerino Sanchez says:

What does the promotion of Shelley Duncan mean?

At minimum, since he’s out of options, it means he will be designated for assignment when Gardner is healthy. Most probably, he will be designated assignment before that when they need a spot on the 25-man.

They guy has proven in two trips to the Majors that he is not a big-league hitter.

Of course, I hope I’m wrong.

12. C Bleak says:

Why so much hatred for the 25th guy on the roster?

13. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

He won’t be here long.

14. dc1874 says:

…Duncan stronger arm than Swish…ALOT STRONGER…

15. Riddering says:

I’m more concerned about whether or not the combined enthusiasm of Shelley and Swisher will cause the dugout to explode during a game than whose defense is better.

Swisher’s.

16. Fat Francesa says:

IS it safe to say Shelly got a leg up on Swisher ?

17. EYEBEAR says:

Starting to hear buzz about Brian Bannister at the deadline…he’d be a nice pickup for the back of the rotation. I like the possibility of Heath Bell too, but I’m hearing there are a ton of teams in that mix so the price will be high.

18. [...] Duncan has been called up to add some righthanded pop to the lineup, although you have to wonder how long he’ll be [...]