Jul

Trade deadline open thread – Thursday

Update (12:44pm): The Tigers traded speedy outfielder Josh Anderson to the Royals for cash today. One less option for a Brett Gardner fill-in.

It’s going to be kind of hard to top yesterday, no? With Cliff Lee headed to Philadelphia, seven players changing hands between the Mariners and Pirates, and Freddy Sanchez headed to San Fran in exchange for a top pitching prospect, it would take quite a few moves — or a Doc Halladay move — to top it.

The Yanks weren’t quiet, slipping in an acquisition of Jason Hirsh under the radar. I’ve always been a fan of Hirsh, but I don’t expect him to contribute this year. Hopefully he can work back into shape in Scranton, get a few big league innings in September, and help the team next year.

As far as new rumors go, we heard yesterday that the Yankees were interested in Josh Anderson to help fill in for the injured Brett Gardner. Today we learn that they’re also interested in Corey Patterson. The Yanks have an abundance of potential 40-man roster spots, so they can afford to take a gamble. Xavier Nady and Chien-Ming Wang are both on the 15-day DL and could clear up spots with moves to the 60-day. Sergio Mitre didn’t cost a 40-man spot, because the Yankees DFA Brett Tomko to call him up, so Jose Veras’s vacated spot is still there. Kevin Cash is also out for the season, and although I’m not exactly sure of the rules, they could probably release him and free up a spot.

That might be unnecessary, though, as the Yankees could call up Austin Jackson. I’d still call the move unlikely. WIth the available 40-man spots, Patterson might be a better option right now, since his primary role would be replacing Johnny Damon late in games for defensive purposes. The lack of a true backup center fielder does make it tough to give Damon a day off, because that would put both Eric Hinske and Nick Swisher in the outfield.

Apparently, the Blue Jays have been scouting the Yanks minor leagues, though that would appear to be in preparation to trade a reliever, not Halladay. Mike talked about Scott Downs over the weekend.

That seems to be about it for now. As yesterday, this is a trade deadline open thread. We’ll update it with any big stuff, or Yankee-related stuff, as it comes along.

Categories : Open Thread

1. jsbrendog says:

which of the jays relievers would you rather have the most?

2. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

The only untouchables on the farm in my opinion is Jesus and Melvin(drink, bitches). Melvin hasn’t pitched in a week, because he’s been completing a dam project that he started in Santo Domingo. When completedm the dam will be able to create enough hydro-electricity to power the entire Island of Hispaniola.
    The most impressive part of this dam, it was made entirely out baseball bats that Melvin has broken with his pitches.

3. GG says:

I’m really not that worried about the pen. Hughes and Mo, are a lock at the end of games. Bruney may have been roughed up last night, but last time I checked Crawford and Longoria are two of the better hitters in baseball. I think Bruney will be fine, Aceves has been solid, and when he’s ready Marte will be back. Coke has also been solid….We need a starter is what we need….Joba also can’t be pulled from the rotation

• whozat says:

Improving the pen moves hughes into the rotation, we hope. Which makes the team better.

• Mikebk says:

Joba is not staying in the rotation all year because they will cap his innings and the soreness for Ace might me they are hesitant to move him to the rotation though i believe some would argue it is less strain working once as opposed to more frequent days.

If Ace cant move up and there is no starter out there for Cash’s price range then there is the chance more significant than i thought a week ago that Hughes does move this year.

• j-man says:

I feel Joba will exceed his innings limit but they will try to mitigate it by allowing him to skip starts. And Phil Hughes will not be a starter this year. Look for Washburn, Duke, Garland, etc. The reason Joba was hurt was transitioning to the rotation. They dont need Hughes to do the same thing. It will also take weeks. Joba can stay in the pen- but the Yanks would need him in the rotation playoff time- a transition to the pen and back is not going to happen.

• Evan NYC says:

Aceves has a “sore arm” which hopefully is just that. Bruney has to be hurt because he looks absolutely terrible. With a 6-0 lead last night, of the 3 batters he faced the counts were 3-1, 2-0, 2-0. That is unacceptable. That forced Mariano to get up when he should have had an extra day off. That is the second time in his last 3 appearances that Bruney has lost a substantial lead. So as of right now we have Aceves (maybe?), Coke, Hughes (rotation soon?), and Mo. Marte got lit up last night in AAA and was throwing mid 80s. He won’t be back for a while.

I’m confident in our bullpen right now, yes. But the more and more they get over worked the less effective they will be down the stretch and into October. I think we can use another arm out of the pen for sure.

4. Mikebk says:

maybe it is just a rough patch but since the break downs has 5 2/3 given up 10H, 5BB and 6ER while striking out 6.

That’s an ERA of 9.52 and a WHIP of 2.64.

• Okula67Fan says:

He is obvioulsy still hurt and is hiding the injury from management.

• Chris says:

Of course. That’s the only possible explanation.

It couldn’t be that his mechanics are off from when he was injured. Or he’s still rusty from when he was injured. Or he’s just struggling in a few games.

• whozat says:

Let’s not forget the conspiracy option…that they KNOW he’s hurt and are pitching him anyway to try and play it off that he’s healthy but struggling so that they can stick someone else with his salary!

The Dodgers?

5. So of the big names we’ve been hearing about, it seems like Halladay and Martinez are the last chips to be moved.

I’m not so sure Halladay gets moved at this point, I think the Phillies’ acquisition of Lee yesterday really took a lot of wind out of the Jays’ sails. JP seems to have miscalculated the market (unless he wasn’t so motivated to move Halladay) – he shot for the moon, but there was another option out there in Lee and now that Lee has gone to JP’s most likely trading partner, I think Halladay stays put. The Phillies went after Lee because the price for Halladay was so high, and the only way that the Jays move Halladay now would seem to be if they lower their price since they have less leverage. I think JP would really have to put his tail between his legs to make a deal at this point, so I think Halladay stays put. For the Yankees, I like this outcome. Yeah, it would be nice if Halladay were to be moved out of the AL. But, if that were to happen, that would mean the Jays would have received a nice haul in return and would improve in the future. And, there’s always the chance he’d wind up in Boston, or Anaheim. I’d rather see him in Toronto than in with a contender.

Martinez, on the other hand… I don’t see how he doesn’t wind up in Boston when the smoke clears. It’s like the Phillies/Lee/Halladay situation. Boston has a clear need for him, Martinez would fit right into their roster as a C/DH/1B and Cleveland seems motivated to move him. On top of all that, I don’t see where the competition for his services is going to come from – Boston seems like the only serious suitor. I think a deal gets done, and I think people commenting here probably won’t think Cleveland got enough out of Boston in return.

But… Assuming Boston gets Martinez in the fold… I think the Yankees still have the better team. Victor’s really good, no doubt, but he’s no great shakes defensively and his numbers have really trended downward since he started the season so hot. Check out his splits:

So… We’ll see what happens. But I don’t see any reason for Yankees fans to be jumping off a bridge over any of the potential moves. Something could always come out of left field, obviously, but a Victor Martinez deal doesn’t kill the Yanks.

• Well that escalated rather quickly and began a novel of a comment, huh. Oops.

• The Lodge says:

I could see the Mets getting in on V-Mart too.

• You know, I guess the Mets are a wild-card in this whole scenario. I just don’t know that they (a) have the motivation to make an addition, with their position in the standings and all the other batshit insane stuff going on in that organization lately, and (b) have the pieces/prospects to compete with a team like Boston on the trade market.

• whozat says:

The Mets are delusional enough to try to make a big splash, but I just don’t see the pieces there to compete with a potential Boston package.

• The Lodge says:

Your Point b) is a bigger concern/holdup, I think. (F-Mart would be a good centerpiece though, I think) As you say, that Organization is Bat-Guano Insane which would be the reason that they would consider making an unwise deal for V-mart right now.

• Yeah, they’re nuts… But I’d imagine, given recent happenings/failures, that Omar doesn’t have as much juice within the organization as he used to. I just don’t see that organization getting their shit together fast enough to put together the right package and get the deal done. Who the F knows with the Mets, though.

The Mets are the Charlie Kelly of the trading deadline: Wildcard bitches!!

• whozat says:

Wow, that’s dramatic. It’s possible that he is mailing it in because the team is going nowhere, it’s also possible he’s in an epic funk. Moving to a hitter’s paradise and to a contender could turn him around. The former more than the latter. Though, I kinda hope he’s beginning his decline and the Sox will be buying a guy that’s priced like he’s the hitter from April, but performs like the hitter from June.

• I don’t think he’s in an epic decline or anything… But I do think he’s a bit overrated and he’s probably not getting any better at this point in his career. Although yeah, you’re right, he’d probably see an uptick in his numbers if he moved to Fenway and hit in that lineup instead of Cleveland’s.

(Let’s start the countdown until the first commenter suggests the Yanks block the Sox by trading for Victor and taking on Travis Hafner’s contract… )

• Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Well, the one-for-one proposal of Clay Buccholz for Martinez (Boston already trying to steal) was rejected, so either the Sox add somebody else or forget about Martinez. Either way, it is not a concern, because they would weaken an already weak(ish) rotation by trading Buccholz. That would make it Beckett/Lester then everyone else basically.

• Reggie C. says:

Go Indians! If they could pry Buchholz, it’ll be a good day. V-Mart isn’t going to tip the advantage to the RS in the divisional race. The league knows the Red Sox have no impact bats in the system and that Theo has to do something to lift the offense. Theo doesn’t have alot of leverage.

• V says:

The Sox are the ones who turned down the Buchholz deal.

6. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Does Detroit have enough trading chips to go into the Halladay sweepstakes? If I were their GM, I would would include Porcello in a deal with them. I know Porcello is only 20, but their window to win will be closing fast. Gambling and pizza money is running in short supply in the greater Detroit area.

• whozat says:

don’t they have one other chip? WHo’s a reliever?

I guess that could do it…

• “If I were their GM, I would would include Porcello in a deal with them.”

I couldn’t disagree more. You’d give up a 20-year old future stud for a year and a half of Halladay? I don’t think I’d ever make that kind of deal, and I’m not so sure their window to win is closing as fast as you think. Verlander, Porcello, Jackson, Cabrera, Granderson… I’m sure I’m leaving someone(s) out… That’s some decent young talent there.

• Chris says:

Toronto won’t keep Porcello when he’s eligible for FA, and he probably won’t peak til after he hits the open market (like Felix Hernandez). So basically you’re giving up the early struggles of a young pitcher without the reward of his peak years for a stud pitcher for the next 1.5 years.

• Mikebk says:

with that logic we should give up hughes and joba so we avoid their struggles and bring them back as free agents.

• Chris says:

They’ll both be in their age 28 seasons in their first years as free agents. Porcello would be 26 (assuming they all stick in the majors). Having control over those age 26-27 seasons makes a huge difference in their relative value.

• Um, says you. I would think there’s a decent chance the Tigers lock up Porcello when the time comes that it’s appropriate to do so. Doing it your way would be rather stupid, wouldn’t it? You think they’re planning on having the kid pitch for them during his formative years and then letting him go elsewhere when he hits his prime? I’m pretty sure that they’re planning on keeping the kid long-term.

• You misread. He said TORONTO wouldn’t lock up Porcello [if they traded Halladay for him].

And I disagree, they probably would lock up Porcello.

• I figured he meant Detroit, otherwise the rest of the comment wouldn’t make sense.

• Chris says:

I was referring to Toronto not keeping him, so the Tigers could resign him. Then they can get Porcello’s peak years without having to also take his early struggles. If Porecello were 2-3 years older (like most rookies) then the situation would be different.

• Chris says:

Maybe they would. The real point I’m trying to make is more that people talk about the veterans as being under team control for just the rest of their contracts (1.5 years for Halladay), and then talk about the prospects as if they’re under team control for 10-15 years. In most cases, the young major league prospects (like Hughes and Joba) are only under team control for a couple years longer than the veteran.

7. Dela G says:

no to scott downs. He has not been the same since the injury. He wasn’t good in the start before it, and he hasnt been anything close to good since

8. VO says:

SHould I accept this trade in fantasy baseball?

I give up: Prince Fielder
    I get: James Loney, Carlos Lee, Matt Capps, Jason Marquis, and Wakefield

• Dela G says:

yes. Carlos lee is the higher avg version of prince fielder, and if wake comes back healthy, you get 2 good starters

• Mikebk says:

why? do you have 4 players on your team you want to waive?

i love how people look at fantasy trades just in players in a deal not spots they have to clear to make the deal.

• Right, what he said. Who do you have to cut? Look at it as a 5 for 5 deal, not 1 for 5.

• VO says:

I understand this fully, I guess I should have added that I have a few players (whose spots would be taken by those in the deal) that are injured. I might add they are not superstars and are waivable. In the right deal, also there are players such as Aubrey Huff, Delmon Young that are expendable.

9. Adam says:

ajax, mcallister, betances, nova

would that get it done for DOc and would you do it?

• whozat says:

THat would in no way get it done. AT all. Not even close.

• Evan NYC says:

Unless the Red Sox get seriously involved in the discussion for Doc, the Yankees should steer clear. JP Ricardi wouldn’t let the Sox take him without at least placing a call to Cashman. Let the Sox get VMart and let us pick up a couple of arms and maybe a replacement CF and call it a day. Revisit the trade market in August if need be.

• Reggie C. says:

That’s simply unrealistic. JP Ricc isn’t obligated to move Halladay, and so lacking mandate from ownership, JP would do well to keep Halladay if that’s the best offer from the Yanks.

• I Remember Celerino Sanchez says:

It would get you a curse word from JP and an hang-up, which, you know, could be fun.

• Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Cashman: Ajax, Mcallister, Betances, Nova…would that get it done JP?
        JP: *laughs* *inaudible sounds*… no Cashyboy, see ya.

JP: Yo Theo, guess what Cash offered me: Ajax, Mcallister, Betances, Nova.
        Theo: Ha wow, what a loser, those guys suck!
        JP: Yeah dude, so you still want Halladay?
        Theo: Yeah, still want Buccholz?
        JP: Yeah, i’ll trade you Halladay for Buccholz straight up.
        Theo: Done. *Hangs up phone*…bitchesssss

10. Nick says:

If we offered ajax and hughes for DOC, do you think that would get it done??

• Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Nope

• If we offered ajax and hughes for DOC, do you think that would get it done??

I don’t A) know or B) care.

• Good Mo, thank you. The Yankees don’t seem to be involved in the Doc talks, nor would recent history (Johan, etc.) lead anyone to believe they would be.

• The only way we trade for Doc Halladay is if the deal is so insanely good for us that both Cashman and JP get investigated for insider trading.

Like, Halladay for Colin Curtis, Ryan Zink, Eric Wordekemper, and Brandon Braboy. Something so insanely low that you KNOW it’s gotta be cheating.

Because we’re not giving up A level prospects for Halladay. Not a single one. Not the untouchables (Joba, Hughes, Montero), not the semi-touchables (Cano, AJax, Vizcaino)… none of them. Take the top 10 names in our system in any order you want and strike ALL TEN OF THEM off the list. None of them are available.

• toad says:

It seems to me that there is an argument that top prospects – and good young ML level players – are more valuable to the Yankees than to other teams. That’s because they will usually draft low, and don’t have as many chances to pick up top performers.

I’m not all that familiar with the details of the drafts, so I could be wrong, of course.

• Former RAB Lurker says:

Hey there, long-time listener, first-time caller. I tend to agree with you here, but do you mind if I ask where you’re getting your information? The six guys you named are probably not going anywhere for a few months of Doc, but the other four, whoever they are (I get all my Yankees minor league info from RAB, and only if there’s nothing else to read, so I’m not especially well-versed in our farm system)…why are you so confident that they’re not moving?

• RollingWave says:

realistically, maybe. if you have guys like Betanaces or other higher upside low probability guys thrown in.

One of Montero / Hughes / Joba with Ajax and some other guys is a realistically fair price for both side on paper (factoring in division trading), the problem is that Halladay isn’t a huge upgrade over Hughes / Joba unless you overvalue playoffs (which is dumb. the AL teams typically all range between 5-20% in chances to win it all, one player can’t shift the odds that much in this confine.) and Montero’s simply too special to risk getting burned for the next decade.

JP Riccardi and the Jays would be delusional and / or dumb if they don’t move him though. the average draft pick from a Type A end up around one Type B prospect. if you can get signficantly more than that there’s no reason to not do it when you can’t contend. and the leverage only goes down in the winter.

11. Adam says:

i think when push come to shove

either joba or hughes and one top prospect, either ajax or jesus gets it done

• Nick says:

yea i agree. and hughes or joba is better then buckholtz anyway

• I Remember Celerino Sanchez says:

Joba or Hughes and Montero (Ajax isn’t enough) PLUS two other prospects (one of which may have to be Ajax). That might get it done.

The Yanks should say no.

12. In addition to the Veras spot, the Cash outright release, and moving Nady/Wang to the 60 day DL, we could also DFA Claggett or Edwar if we really wanted to. They seem to be on the outs of the organization.

Claggett is the one that surprises me, he had a good year up to this point but now his peripherals are down across the board, even back at AAA. He’s only 24 so he can still recover, but it seems like the team has given up on him a bit. I wonder if he’ll be included as medium-level filler in a deal.

13. Adam says:

I just cant see giving up Hughes or Joba. But most deals the prospects are never worth as much as the stud. Hughes and Joba are I guess more then prospects now

• Nick says:

agreed. joba can now be considered a proven starter and hughes a proven major leaguer. neither of them are prospects, they’re major league ready

14. C Bleak says:

Could the Jay’s be scouting our farm for a possible Rios trade? I would like that.

• C Bleak says:

After this year they will need to pickup an outfielder and he is a much better fielder than Swisher. Also the free agent’s available are not very promising.

• A) He is a much better fielder than Swisher. Swisher is a much better hitter than Rios. It’s a wash.
          B) Even if the free agent OF’s aren’t promising, I’d rather play shorthanded at OF for a season and kick the can down the road than get tied up in Alex Rios’s contract. It’s not that pretty.

• Reggie C. says:

What’s not promising about Matt Holliday? Cash should at least check the price tag on this guy, especially if Holliday has an offensive surge with playoff bound ST.Louis.

• A.D. says:

In their best seasons Rios & Swisher are essentially the same hitter, and Rios should be the better fielder, but he’s got a long contract not at any real value.

• C Bleak says:

I disagree that Swisher is a “much” better hitter. Rios is having a down year and his numbers are right there with Swisher. Including more stolen bases and a higher average. Main difference is he doesn’t walk as much and has a few less homeruns. Also as far as the contract it is 14mm per for the next 3 years I believe. I would say they are dead even in runs created.

• Alex Rios, career: .285/.336/.451 (105+)
              Nick Swisher, career: .243/.356/.454 (113+)

Seriously, Nick Swisher is every bit as good as Alex Rios, for less money and a shorter contractual obligation. Trading for him would be a bad idea.

• C Bleak says:

Never said trade Swisher for him. Add Rios to what we have and keep Swisher. We are losing Damon and Nady after this year. Swisher could spell at left right, dh and 1st base as he was going to if Nady didn’t get hurt. Also Swisher will be making 11mm or more next year I believe and the number increases after that. Should have a couple less DH’s next year so he would have plenty of at bats.

Also I wonder if Rios has the ability to play Center on a regular basis? If so his value is much higher.

15. Kiersten says:

From Twitter:

mlbtraderumors RT @MLBONFOX Rosenthal: Pre-deadline hunches: #Halladay stays, #RedSox do something big, #Padres trade Bell but not Gonzalez. #mlb

If Gonzalez and Halladay both stay, isn’t the last “big” option for the Sox V-Mart? These 3 updates seem contradictory.

16. Sam says:

So Heyman’s twitter said the Yankees could get Washburn without giving up AJax, what other prospects could Seattle be asking for if they’re dead set on having an outfielder?

• whozat says:

Gardner as a PTBNL, plus an actual pitching prospect?

I still don’t want Washburn. You know the problems Andy’s had with the longball? He was a groundballer…Washburn EXPECTS to give up flyballs.

• Gardner wouldn’t remotely be enough. Even if he was healthy and they could have him tomorrow.

• Yeah, but he said Gardner “plus an actual pitching prospect.” This is all relatively blind conjecture and I usually try to stay away from this kind of thing, but I wouldn’t think that would be a bad package, either as a real offer or at least as a part of the negotiations. It’s less than half a year of Washburn, and rumors are that he wants to go back and sign with Seattle as a FA. I’d think getting a MLB–ready outfielder who is good defensively and great on the basepaths plus a pitching prospect would be a decent haul.

• Mikebk says:

2 months of Washburn is not worth A-Jax, even if his numbers were to remain where they are and i have a hard time believe that replacing safeco with our park and his of with ours that would be the case.

• I’d still pass. J-Wash has the potential to be a disaster for the Yankees.

• Reggie C. says:

J-Wash is pitching above his historical peripherals. I’ll give you that… but who’s to say that J-Wash can’t continue to have a successful season in pinstripes for the remainder of the season??

If Seattle would make the trade and not take Ajax … Cash should be suitor #1.

• I’ll be in favor of a Washburn deal if it doesn’t include any of the following:

Joba, Hughes, Montero, AJax, Z-Mac, Melancon, Brackman, Betances, IPK, Aceves, Coke, Romine, Vizcaino, ManBan.

If you can get it done for something in the Bleich/D-Rob/Cervelli/WDLR/Dunn/Kroenke stratosphere, fine. Otherwise, no.

• Yeah, that.

Anyway, I really don’t think Washburn can repeat his success in Seattle with New York. He’s an extreme fly ball pitcher who’d be coming to a small park. He also plays with the second best OF defense in baseball whereas his OF defense in NY would be average at best.

17. Zach says:

Heyman says Florida is close to getting Bell for Miller or West

18. Brooklyn Ed says:

“SI’s Jon Heyman tells us the Marlins are “are in serious discussions to try to land Padres closer Heath Bell.” Heyman says it looks like it could be Andrew Miller or Sean West. Either young lefty seems like a solid return for Bell. Heyman notes that the Yanks also have interest, but the Fish “are in good position to make a deal.”

Would be the priests be interested in Dunn and McAllister?

19. Adam says:

NY TIMES REPORTS THAT ORTIZ AND MANNY ON 2003 DOPING LIST.

20. Jordan says:

Via John Heyman’s Twitter:

SI_JonHeyman: Ortiz can hereby shut up about others doing roids. from ny times

And here we all thought it was just extreme grit and championship caliber baseball.

21. Adam says:

IS IT bad to be gleeful?

seems like Big Papi got a little sloppy

22. Reggie C. says:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa!!

ESPN Radio: Nytimes reporting that Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz tested POSITIVE for PEDs in 2003.

23. Manimal says:

Scouts at the Trenton game last tuesday. He must be from Canada judging by the hat…

• Manimal says:

THIS PAST tuesday*

• Brooklyn Ed says:

how would you know he’s a scount? looks like a fan to me. lol

• Manimal says:

you cant see it but every pitch him and the dude infront of him point the velocity gun and then write something down.

• Brooklyn Ed says:

oh alrites, thanks dude.

• Rick in Boston says:

I’m also going with how many fans bring a giant clipboard to minor league games? I’ve worked in minor league ball and the only guys who do that who aren’t scouts/employees of a team are sitting down the lines near clubhouses and bullpens trying to get autographs. And those guys don’t where funny hats.

• Hughes Your Daddy says:

I can’t see the picture, but there are ALWAYS Thunder pitchers working at the games with a radar gun and clipboard…

• Rick in Boston says:

Trust us, those weren’t players. Unless the Thunder have a couple really older guys pitching. And losing bets to wear that hat.

24. mryankee says:

I want to know 2 things 1: how the hell did Indians give up Lee for so little and 2: if that package was acceptable where were the Yankees on that? I also have to say I am sorry to Joba I have been very hard on him this year and he proved me wrong last night. That was an ace (beckett) (Lester) (Halladay) performance going on the rd against a good lineup and beating a good pitcher-now all he has to do is beat Hallady on tuesday and he would have beaten Jackson-Garza and Halladay

25. The Evil Empire says:

David Ortiz and Manny tested positive in 03′. Via NYtimes.com

26. iYankees says:

Bill Mueller has to be on that list, too.

27. Mikebk says:

josh anderson no longer an of option as he was sold to the royals for cash considerations.

28. Dela G says:

wow apparently manny and big papi tested positive for steroids in 2003

Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003, lawyers with knowledge of the results told The New York Times.

The two were key members of the Boston Red Sox World Series teams in 2004 and 2007.

29. Phil says:

Derek Jeter took steroids. Sports Illustrated. holy shit

30. dc1874 says:

well so much for josh anderson….Royals just got him..

31. dc1874 says:

Royals Acquire Josh Anderson
    By Tim Dierkes [July 30 at 11:36am CST]
    According to a press release, the Royals acquired outfielder Josh Anderson from the Tigers for cash considerations. The speedster hit .242/.282/.315 with 13 steals in 15 tries for Detroit before being designated for assignment. The Royals say they’ll make a corresponding roster move once they determine Anderson’s reporting date.

32. Stephen says:

An interesting analysis of Joba’s “pace” and its relationship with performance:

Picking up the Pace – The Hardball Times

33. A.D. says:

Marlins rejected Miller or West for Bell…makes more sense.

34. Tampa Yankee says:

From MLBTR:

All kinds of good stuff from ESPN’s Buster Olney (Insider required and recommended).

The big news: the Red Sox and Padres talked “at length” about an Adrian Gonzalez trade Wednesday night. Those discussions are expected to resume today; of course you can expect top prospects to be involved.

35. Mike HC says:

I have Mo, Hughes and Downs on my fantasy team. If Downs gets traded to the Yanks, would it be safe to drop him, or worth keeping him?

36. A.D. says:

12:20pm: Joe McDonald of the Providence Journal says the Reds and Jays are talking about a Rolen-Yonder Alonso swap. Say what?

Absolutely terrible decision for the Reds if that were to happen

• zs190 says:

That’s awful, Rolen’s contract is expensive, he is chronically nicked up, and Reds have like no chance for playoffs, why would they trade for him?

37. A.D. says:

From the Big Z in Seattle:

“I am not giving this guy away. He is a valuable piece to us. He shouldn’t come cheap if he is moved. No one in the league is pitching better than (Washburn). So if we move him, we need to get good pieces. Because if we keep him he is a very, very good piece for us.”

Pretty much puts the nail in the coffin on that trade

• zs190 says:

Last week I said I read they wanted a top prospect or two for Washburn and guys were like “no way, he’s a free agent at end of year, he can’t cost that much.”

I’m not a fan of Washburn anyways though. Good environment and a lot of luck is why he’s doing well, I would be shocked if he has an ERA below 4 if he plays for us.

38. nick blasioli says:

hope the yanks do something soon…time is running out…isnt riveraveblues the best web..if you want updated info..go to riveraveblues..aone….

39. The Lodge says:

Recent MLBTR Post has Durango/Corriea (from the Pads) available. That could work, but I wonder about Durango (how he projects) and what they would be looking for in trade?

• zs190 says:

Brett Gardner with less speed and less power? 23 yr. with no power in AA, meh. 5’10, 145 too, scary thin and probably not going to add any weight either considering he hasn’t at 23. Goldstein at BP is incredulous that anyone want Durango, he’s probably an org. player.

• The Lodge says:

Thx. He could work as a stop-gap (in case BG is out longer than expected) and then add some org. depth at CF, no? He and Corriea are intriguing if the price doesn’t include a top flight prospect, no?

• zs190 says:

I think no on stopgap, he’s almost assuredly not a major leaguer, would rather just get Corey Patterson, he’s at least a replacement level player, I don’t think Durango is even up to replacement level.

I would say no to Correia too, 4.75 in Petco pitching in the NL West, maybe for depth but I’m not sure he’s even better than Josh Tower. If the Pads are giving him away, maybe, but I wouldn’t trade anything for him.

40. V says:

“1:14pm: Yahoo’s Tim Brown sees the Dodgers and Red Sox as the frontrunners for Doc in what is shaping up as a two-team race. Brown says the only Major Leaguer in the Dodgers’ offer is James McDonald, while the Sox will part with Clay Buchholz, one of Justin Masterson, Michael Bowden, and Lars Anderson, and some lesser prospects. My guess is that the Red Sox find a way to get this done, given the quality they’re already offering.”

MLBTraderumors.

Nothing would piss me off more than if the Sox got Halladay for Buchholz, Anderson, and two scrubs.

Buchholz+Bowden+Bard+Kelly is more like it, IMO.

• V says:

41. Alvaro Espinoza says:

V says:

July 30th, 2009 at 2:38 pm I mean, they want Joba or Hughes. If they accept anything like the crap the Sox are offering, I will be monstrously PO’ed.

Why would YOU be pissed off? Its not like you have any control over the situation! lol

42. VO says:

Does anyone else feel like this trade deadline isn’t too exciting?

43. Mikebk says:

“2:19pm: SI’s Jon Heyman says that in their initial conversation, the Mariners requested Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes for Washburn. That pair and other top Yankees prospects figure to be off limits, but Heyman still sees New York as the favorite.”

WTF? Obviously JP wasnt asking for enough if it takes Joba or Phil to get freakin Washburn.

44. Salty Buggah says:

From George A. King III:

The Yankees are thinking about promoting top prospect Austin Jackson from Triple-A and playing him regularly in the outfield.
    Because the bullpen wasn’t spent in last night’s 6-2 win over the Rays, the Yankees will elevate an outfielder today if they can’t swing a deal. They have a low-level interest in Josh Anderson, who was designated for assignment by the Tigers last week.

When Brett Gardner went on the disabled list on Sunday with a fractured left thumb, the Yankees said Jackson wasn’t an option to replace Gardner because they didn’t want Jackson sitting on a big-league bench.

Nevertheless, the Yankees believe they could be better served with Jackson’s ability to cover more ground than Nick Swisher or Johnny Damon. Primarily a center fielder, Jackson could be used at the corners to spell Damon and Swisher.

“We have kicked around a lot of different ideas,” manager Joe Girardi said.

With the White Sox starting three lefties in the four-game series that opens tonight in Chicago, Girardi mentioned a need for a right-handed bat.

This is from GAK, so I’m sure I should listen to him.

45. Mikebk says:

2:44pm: MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick reports that the Dodgers acquired George Sherrill for Josh Bell and righty Steve Johnson.

Josh Bell has power potential but they definitely should have gotten Elbert to deal Sherill.

46. bonestock94 says:

Quick, who’s the new orioles closer ?!?!?!?

47. Rick says:

Wuertz is terrible. Hope we don’t trade for him

48. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Doesn’t look like Halladay is going anywhere according to JP.

49. Only 40 man options w/o trade are
    a) DFA Cash
    b) shift Nady to 60 day DL
    c) shift Wang to 60 day DL

All 40 man slots are currently taken.