Jul

Yanks nail down seventh straight with 6-3 win

For the first three innings of this rain-delayed game, the Yankees seemed to be mailing it in. After sitting for over two hours and 40 minutes, the Yanks looked lethargic. Facing Vin Mazzaro – Vinny from New Jersey — the team went 1 for 9 with six strike outs. Meanwhile, the A’s went 6 for 14 and with one out in the top of the fourth, had put together a 3-0 lead.

And then the Yankees turned the tables on the Vinny and the A’s. Mark Teixeira took a 3-0 pitch into the second deck in right field for a two-run home run, and the game would be all Yankees from that point on. They knocked out another two hits and two runs in that inning, and after four innings, they had a 4-3 lead.

Mazzaro, pitching in front of his friends and family from New Jersey for the first time in Yankee Stadium, was dominant the first time around. The second time through, though, the Yankees took the upper hand. He would last just 4.1 innings, giving up six earned runs on eight hits and four walks. Of the final 11 Yankee at-bats against Mazzaro, seven would end with hits. After one look, the Yanks saw all they needed, and the A’s paid.

CC, meanwhile, would cruise through the rest of the game. After Kurt Suzuki’s RBI single in the fourth, Oakland went just 3 for 14 against Sabathia. The Big Man didn’t have his best stuff early, but he lasted seven innings and didn’t walk a hitter. This victory — an easy 6-3 win — would be his tenth of the season.

Sabathia gave way to Phil Hughes in the 8th, and the youngest did not disappoint. With Mariano Rivera out, the rest of the Yankee bullpen had to pick up the slack, and that job fell primarily to Hughes. The righty threw just 28 pitches over two innings, 19 of them for strikes. While he didn’t record a strike out, he tossed up a bunch of zeroes and walked away with his first career save.

For the Yanks, this win was their 30th come-from-behind win of the season. With the Red Sox idle and the Rays on the wrong end of a perfect game earlier on Thursday, the Yankees extended their first place lead to a season-high 2.5 games over Boston. Tampa finds themselves 6.5 games behind the Yankees. That’s seven in a row for the Yanks, a nice lead and Joba going later tonight. I’ll sleep well after this one.

A Rookie Pitcher Note: With this victory tonight, the Yankees are now 18-7 against rookie pitchers. That’s the best mark in the Majors. Hopefully, that should put the idea that the Yankees can’t beat rookie pitches they’ve never seen to rest.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Little Bill says:

This is the best team in baseball. Best lineup in baseball, best bullpen in baseball, and the best top 3 starters in baseball.

2. Esteban says:

Thank you for pointing that last fact out. It was a perfect example of confirmation bias.

3. Mike Axisa says:

Boy, YES really mailed the postgame in.

(oh yeah, I went there)

4. OmgZombies! says:

I thought the Yankees didn’t have a chance. The way Mazzaro had his slider going and the win streak was had to stop sometime right? This team does not know how to lose.

5. The Fallen Phoenix says:

“Did you know you’d be available for the 9th?”
    “No, I just thought I’d be in for the 8th.”

The reporters are trying desperately to make the 9th “THE INNING,” and Hughes is giving them nothing. Absolutely nothing.

The 9th inning – or the 8th – is as pressured as you make it. The end.

• The Fallen Phoenix says:

Also, obviously Hughes wasn’t rattled about “not knowing his role,” either. He knows what a disturbingly large number of people don’t seem to get: whether you are a starter or a reliever, regardless of the score or inning, your job is to get outs. Preferably, as many as possible.

• Which just goes to show you that Phil Coke was full of shit.

Or that some pitchers are more temperamental and cerebral about their explicit roles. Hughes has been a gung-ho reliever since the start. I think he’s just excited to be pitching and contributing somewhere more important than Scranton.

• The Fallen Phoenix says:

Right, which is what I meant by my original comment – the 9th inning, 8th inning, etc., is as pressured as you make it. I actually don’t think Phil Coke is full of shit – he might actually be more comfortable with a set role.

But that’s not intrinsic to the game of baseball. The way a lot of people in the media talk about bullpen roles, however, says differently. Indeed, I think it just contributes to the vicious cycle that has allowed LaRussa-style bullpens to permeate the game as much as they have in the last twenty years.

Pitchers are told or taught that bullpen roles and game situations matter. Pitchers believe bullpen roles and game situations matter, and act accordingly. Pitchers tell sportswriters and younger pitchers that bullpen roles and game situations matter. Rinse and repeat.

The game needs more people like Phil Hughes, because it’s that kind of attitude – just go out there and get outs – that makes your team better.

6. Drew says:

Heh, I saw a stat the other day that the Sox are brutal vs. rookie pitchers this year. Good to see that we aren’t effected by the youngens as we may have been in the past.

7. Drew says:

I had to listen to this game on the radio after the Teix HR because I needed to do an airport pickup. This is just another game of the bunch that makes me happy. Down 3-0, looking kind of sluggish early in the game, no problema. This team has a fight in it, if we’re not winning, we will be eventually. A bad/soso start from CC turned into a great start awfully quick.

A solid start from Joba tomorrow will have me flying.

8. BigBlueAL says:

I have to admit, I have been very skeptical about this team for most of the year. Not in a this team sucks kind of way since I always assumed they would win the WC but not sure if they would do much else beyond that.

I must say this is the best I have felt about this team since the 2006 team swept the 5 games in Boston. I thought for sure that team would win it all since they wound up with the best record in the AL but we all know they didnt. This team while it still has its flaws and hasnt clinched anything yet is looking real good right now and it is positioning itself for a great 2nd half and hopefully October.

The main thing right now for me is the Yankees MUST win the AL East and finish with the best record in the AL. That would mean no Angels in the 1st round and a date with whoever wins the AL Central which this season looks like should be a fairly easy series especially if the Tigers dont win the division which means not having to face their good starting pitching. Of course those are alot of assumptions but a couple of weeks ago I was just hoping to hold on to the WC but now we can dream bigger and realistically hope/expect to have the best record in the AL.

• The Fallen Phoenix says:

I disagree.

In 2006, the Yankees should have been thrilled to face the Tigers – didn’t have to worry about Johan Santana in a short series, and the Yankees had won a majority of their regular season matches against the Tigers.

It didn’t matter.

Just get to the postseason, whether through the East title, or the Wild Card. Anything can happen in a short playoff series.

• JGS says:

obviously anything can happen, but the Angels have a track record of beating the Yankees in October and playoffs or not, they can never seem to win in Anaheim. Are they guaranteed an ALCS berth if they play the Central champ? Of course not. But I like the odds a whole lot more

• Drew says:

This is a different team than years passed. Obviously it’s too early to say anything but, IMO, we play, we win. If the playoffs started today I’d be confident no matter who we play. With CC, AJ then the hotter of Jober/AP, in a short series, I love our chances.

• BigBlueAL says:

Yeah but uh Ill take winning the East and having the best record in the AL since thats where they are at right now. If the Yankees wind up just winning the WC it would be a pretty big letdown.

Obviously getting to the playoffs no matter how still is the main priority but again the Yankees have put themselves in position to do alot more than just that….

• RollingWave says:

I recently took a brief look on division series since it started. and teams with a better record actually LOSE more often than they won . on the other hand, if they weren’t playing the wild card team the chances are better. (which means that the wild card team since it started have done REALLY REALLY well in division series)

• DSFC says:

In 2006, the Yankees didn’t prepare well enough for Kenny Rogers and his pine tar ball.

• JGS says:

couldn’t agree more on the importance of winning the division, but that means a tie is no good with Boston (unless by some miracle they win the season series, which is still technically possible). I think we can all agree that the Yankees want no part of the Angels in October, and that 19-5 against the Central looks very promising.

• BigBlueAL says:

I dont mind playing the Angels in October if its in the ALCS and the Yankees have homefield.

• JGS says:

that would be better, but I would strongly prefer to not have to do that. Really, I would strongly prefer to have them finish second in their division, but I don’t think that is going to happen

9. Rebecca from ze ipod says:

I was at the game in the bleachers for the whole thing. Got so wet nut so worth it

10. Dela G says:

where can i find the list of come from behind wins?

11. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

I am pumped to watch Joba tomorrow, hopefully he builds off his last start.

It seemed his struggles were more mental than anything else, and he addressed that after the break. He said that he “wasn’t Joba Chamberlain”. So hopefully the real Joba shows up again.

12. Ant says:

I just want to say.

Robinson Cano’s defense is pretty dam good.

13. Salty Buggah says:

Hinske has been pretty good so far with us. He’s done more than I ever expected him to do.

14. Salty Buggah says:

Oh Boy…PeteAbe brought up Hughes being the next closer, though he doesnt believe in it.

Mark Feinsand actually does, which I didnt expect out of him.

• Little Bill says:

Abraham and Feinsand are idiots. Joba and Hughes are clearly starters next year and beyond and only a moron would think otherwise. It’s much harder to find good starters than good relievers.

Unfortunately there are many stupid people out there who will look at Hughes’ starts this year and compare them to his relief appearances and that’ll be proof enough- Hughes should be the successor to Mo they’ll say. Good thing for us, Cashman isn’t an idiot and Hughes will be starting next season.

• carl says:

Abraham is just saying he has the mental make up because he’s a good pitcher…

Here is a quote from Pete
        “I’ll stick with what I believe: Hughes should be a starter in 2010. He’s too good not to be.”

• Mac says:

Nice to see that you are open minded….

Let me know when Hughes gets a third pitch and throws his fb as effectively as a starter.

Next year, is next year, all the talk about Hughes’s future is irrelevant – the Yanks need to win now.

• Zach says:

ok you do this same shit all the time. is it really a big deal that people look at a pitcher with a 5.45 era as a starter this year, 6.62 era last year, and multiple injuries over the last 2-3 years and think his dominance in the bullpen now would be nice for the next 10 years?

i want him in the rotation, but just because people have a different opinion doesnt make them morons, stupid, idiots, etc

• Chris says:

Why is everyone assuming that we need a replacement for Mo now? He’s got this year an next left on his current contract, and from a performace standpoint he probably won’t be done then. It’s conceivable that Joba/Hughes hit free agency before we need a replacement for Mo.

15. j says:

home grown players on yankees roster.

posada, cano, jeter, cabrera, gardner and cerv, pena who contributed earlier

pettitte, wang, joba, hughes, coke, aceves, mo, melancon, robertson

14 out of 25 home grown. red sox can suck it.

16. Joba or Hughes-To-the-pen says:

Phil Hughes like Joba is dominate because he is throwing 96 mph.This pitcher barely throws over 93 mph as a starter.Just like Joba once Hughes goes to being a starter he’ll throw 93 and be average.This isn’t Verlander here.

Either Hughes or Joba will replace MO in 2011.No way the Yankees have anybody to fill that role in the farm or free agency.Mo is more irreplacable then HGH Pettitte,Posada or Jeter.

• Salty Buggah says:

Sometimes I think you’re just messing with us…

• No way the Yankees have anybody to fill that role in the farm or free agency.

Hey if you’re seeing the future can you tell me if I’m gonna have my Master’s Degree by then?

• Tom Zig says:

You’re silly.

• pete says:

sure mo’s mo-ness is irreplaceable, but it’s much more important that we find a good catcher, shortstop, and maintain a good rotation than have a HOF-caliber closer. Mo is terrific and i love watching him, but he is by no means the most important player on this team, on-field contribution-wise. It’s very plausible that by the time he is done the yankees can find somebody to replace him, even if that person can’t put up numbers as good as his. The Yankees farm system is loaded with replacement-level or better starters, and those who end up not being good enough to start for the major league club should end up in the bullpen. Thereafter, the ones who perform the best and most consistently in the BP should be the higher leverage guys. I personally believe that somebody like aceves could very well fill that role. As long as they keep developing starters until they no longer are capable of success in a starting role, they will have plenty of bullpen options.

17. Chris says:

Ummm… that’s not what he was saying.

• Little Bill says:

That’s exactly what he was saying. Olney shrugged off Cone and Wells’ perfect games like they were a small feat. He has bought into Gammons’ Boston rhetoric and it’s a shame.

• Can you please keep comments on topic? Buster Olney criticism and unfounded Red Sox bashing has no place in game threads. Take a look through our commenting guidelines, and keep things focused here. Thanks.

• Chris says:

No he didn’t. He explained that most perfect games occur against bad teams. He was a beat reporter for the Yankees during those games, which is why he referred to that. Just because he states facts that are not pro-Yankee doesn’t mean that he’s biased.

18. ARX says:

About Phil Huges (sorry if this is beating a dead horse):
    If I’m reading the numbers right, his innings totals are
    2006: 146
    2007: 110
    2008: 70

Now he’s up to about 75 total in ’09….whats his limit in 2010 if the Yanks don’t put him back in the rotation? If the ‘rule’ is career max +30, can he really be expected to jump up to 175-180 innings after 3 years with much lesser totals? (and is he still eligible for fall/winter leagues to get his total up)

• Jake H says:

He probably was going to pitch around that. I doubt he gets that unless he goes to a winter league in Puero Rico or the Dominican.

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Phil had another 30 innings last year in the AFL.

• ARX says:

Thanks. I thought it seemed a bit too low, but that still makes it, basically, 146-110-100-?? so I’m a bit concerned going forward.

• leokitty says:

Anyone who gets the go ahead and is wanted by a team can pitch in PR/DR/Venezuela, it’s just the actual prospect leagues like Hawaii and the AFL that have restrictions.

19. [...] Confidence Poll « Yanks nail down seventh straight with 6-3 win Jul [...]

20. LiveFromNewYork says:

I mailed my viewship/RAB participation in last night. I didn’t comment until the 9th inning. I kept falling asleep after the 5th inning. I tried to read the A’s blog to keep awake but they weren’t saying much.

In the 9th I thought the Yankees/Dodgers WS will be sweet.

I just hope we stay hot til December.

I think Hughes is happy just playing (and being dominant) for the big club. That’s what he said when they first started the Phil-to-the-pen experiment. The fans are loving their Phranchise and he seems to be thriving in the role. I am a big supporter of him in the rotation but part of a youngster’s rotation growth is struggling (see Chamberlain, Joba) and I’m just glad he’s cruising and enjoying the limelight and the love right now.