Aug

2009 Draft: Yankees sign 16th rounder Bryan Mitchell

Via Jim Callis, the Yankees have signed 16th rounder Bryan Mitchell to an $800,000 bonus. It’s the third largest bonus given out by the Yankees so far this year (that I know of). Callis says the North Carolina high schooler “throws a lively 90-91 mph fastball and a hard slider.”

Categories : Asides, Draft

1. JSquared says:

I Like This signing a lot. He’s very good.

High School

2008
    8-1, 63 innings, 38 walks, 96 strikeouts, .119 BAA, 1.67 ERA 3 CG

2009
    5-2, 45.1 innings, 18 walks, 87 strikeouts, .113 BAA, 0.62 ERA, 5 CG

2. Drew says:

I guess that’s “life changing money.” Good for him. Look forward to following him for years to come.

• Drew says:

“I would say that Bryan would be in the mix to come in and start [at UNC]. He just has good stuff – a good live fastball with movement and he’s got a killer curveball that really sets him apart from other pitchers in his ability to throw that good curve consistently for strikes. It is a pretty hard 12-6 curve; it is a real curve, you see a lot of guys that throw a right to left soft curve. This thing breaks knees. It is as good a curve as you will see.”

Physically his size and arm strength really set him apart – not too many guys at this level can throw the ball 92-93 miles per hour.

3. Jake H says:

I am liking this pick because I think HS guys have higher ceilings.

4. Sam says:

I notice that Stoneburner hasn’t been officially announced yet. How sure are we that that’s a done deal?

5. daneptizl says:

Mike, if you were to rank the top 7 signability guys by talents, how would it go?

6. jeff says:

talerico signed

7. Mike bk says:

now lets get thompson and deluca done.

8. Reggie C. says:

The money Mitchell received might just be it for this year’s signability class. dont know anything about this unc recruit but Opp must like him as much as Cotham.

9. Accent Shallow says:

Looking forward to seeing all these kids in 2010.

10. Accent Shallow says:

Actually, the Yankees’ draft was heavy on LHP, but the only LHP to sign so far are Sam Elam, Gavin Brooks, and Shaeffer Hall.

Aren’t they going to have to do better than that if they’re going to improve the LHP system depth?

11. Januz says:

I would not be shocked to see Thompson signed (They liked him enough to have him meet the team in Anaheim). The funny thing is, that if Thompson and DeLuca are signed, the entire Yankee Draft signings will have almost occured as predicted: Bruno, Aplin, McKenzie & Stiles were too hard to sign. And they signed everyone they could hope to sign (Except substituting DeLuca and Chico for Lyons).

12. Jacob says:

Im pretty sure Bryan doesnt throw a slider.. Hes like 92-94 on the gun and his curve is ridiculous.

13. Grace says:

Mitchell is amazing, he went to my high school…. I’m not a big fan of the yanks but he’s a good pick

14. Bryan Mitchell says:

I found out about this kid because he has the same name! Not only that but the same birthday 04/19 of couarse I was born in ’77 and he was born in ’91! Ready to see him pitch!