Aug

Catching up with Slade Heathcott

Dennis Grall of The Daily Press caught up with Yankees’ first round pick Slade Heathcott yesterday, who at the moment is just kickin’ it with his girlfriend and playing some golf. Committed to LSU, Heathcott didn’t mention anything about how close the two sides are to coming to an agreement or anything like that. All he said was “The Yankees have the ball in their court. I’m probably putting more pressure on the Yankees than they are putting on me.”

Slot money for the 29th overall pick is around $1.1M, but I suspect Heathcott will get a little more than that, perhaps as much as $1.5M. They’re going to sign him, don’t worry. It just won’t happen until the August 17th deadline nears.

Categories : Asides, Draft

1. stuart says:

to be young and dumb and rich would be fun

hope the ysign him missing out on there 1st pick 2 yrs. in a row would be a bummer…

2. Reggie C. says:

His measurables are listed at 6’1 / 196

Damn. Heathcott’s already heavier than Jackson. At that height, Heathcott likely carries the weight well, but I wonder if the yanks are gonna tell him to stop hanging out in the weight room.

3. V says:

I imagine they already basically have a deal in place, but the commish won’t let them sign yet.

4. Observer283 says:

How quickly after he signs does the girlfriend become wife?

5. scared fan says:

Any pics of his girlfriend?

6. You Don't Mess With The Johan says:

Since when did Johnny Damon’s contract expire in two years?

7. ashish says:

Slade expects to be with the Yankees in 2-3 years. Last Yankees first rounder that I remember saying the same thing: CJ Henry. Hopefully, their careers don’t follow the same paths.

8. J.R. says:

Good for him, play some golf, hang with the gf and wait for that paycheck.

As a side not, it’d be interesting to know what he shoots.

9. Rick says:

Hopefully he’s better than the last few 1st rounders drafted by the yanks. Only Hughes in the past decade is worth a damn

• Grandma Karkan says:

Joba Chamberlain says HI! And Kennedy is not a bad guy to have in the system, so I guess I worth a damn about him (whatever that means ese.)

• Grandma Karkan says:

And I don’t dissagree with you otherwise, and for nterest sake here are some of those dandy names:

2009 Slade Heathcott OF –

2008 Gerrit Cole RHP -Chose to go to UCLA instead of sign

2007 Andrew Brackman RHP -Can’t throw a strike in A ball

2006 Ian Kennedy RHP -Just had surgery to fix an anuerysm.

2005 Carl Henry SS -Left the minor leagues to go play basketball at Memphis. He was once quoted as saying “I spent my off-seasons from baseball working on my basketball skills”

2004 Philip Hughes RHP -Could be the future ace

2003 Eric Duncan 3B Has a ok glove, but is currently hitting in the low .200′s at AAA Scranton

2001 John-Ford Griffin OF Got a couple of stints in the majors with the Blue Jays, now in the Dodgers minor league system

2000 David Parrish C Son of former Major Leaguer Lance Parrish, David never did anything for the Yanks
        1999 David Walling RHP Walling got the Knoblauch/Ankiel syndrome and just couldn’t be an effective pitcher anymore