Aug

Joba to get long layoff after Sunday start

Just because I feel bad about writing 750 words on Aaron Harang, here’s some actual Yanks news. Carig notes that Joba Chamberlain will start on Sunday, then take an eight day break and start again the following Tuesday. Well, Carig says 10 days later, but also says Tuesday, so I’m assuming he’s counting both Sunday and Tuesday. So it’s Seattle and then Texas at home.

Considering this, it would seem like the Yankees would start Pettitte, Mitre, and Joba this weekend. Then, to optimally lay out the rotation, they’d have to go Burnett, CC, Gaudin on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday against the A’s. That would set up Pettitte to pitch the opener at Fenway, followed by Burnett and CC.

Update: Carig has confirmed Gaudin on Wednesday. It’s all set up.

Categories : Asides

1. Dela G says:

i would rather have those 3 for fenways than having mitre (lol) start the series like it had been i believe

2. Wait. You mean the Yankees aren’t dumb enough to start Sergio Mitre next Friday in Boston? That’s not what half of my Twitter followers seem to think.

• Dela G says:

haha i thought they were going to do that and i was going to have a heart attack

• So I was wrong.

I’m working on 3 hours of sleep, work with me here!

• First place team. Best record in baseball. We gotta have a little faith that they won’t do something as clueless as starting Sergio Mitre in Boston for game one of a three-game set. That’s all I’m sayin’.

• Salty Buggah says:

Steve Lombardi would disagree

• Three. Hours. of Sleep.

Two nights in a row.

My ability to rationally process ANYTHING right now is gone.

• King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

Let’em start Sergio Meattray.

Boston would be ‘what? they’re starting who? wtf?’

• RichYF says:

I don’t think it’s a big deal even if he does start. I’m not sure what all the hub-bub is all about. I must have missed the “the season is on the line next weekend in Boston” memo.

Last I checked the Yanks were pissing excellence. It’d be a nail in Boston’s coffin to lose a game to the Yanks with Mitre on the hill in my opinion. Pressure’s up in Boston, not NY.

• PinstripesForeverDougie says:

And that could all dissolve quickly if the Yankees fail to win the series in Fenway. Remember we are 0-6 in the Red Nation’s capital & I think the Universe needs to put a stamp on that series or the team might still fear playing big games up there in October.

And trust me, if we ever got swept by boston next weekend, the division will be up for grabs again. And the pressure will not be on Boston if we fail to keep the dominance we displayed in the bronx rolling past 4 games.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

False.

The Yanks are 6.5 up now. If they go in to Fenway w/ the same lead and lose 2 of 3, they would leave Fenway up by 5.5 games.

While winning the series (or hopefully sweeping), would be ideal, winning only 1 of 3 would by no means be a death knell.

The Yanks are playing awesome baseball since the break. Sit back and enjoy it instead of being a negative Nancy.

3. Salty Buggah says:

Cash reads RAB fo sho.

4. whozat says:

Man, I have great seats to that A’s game on Weds!

(Birthday present)

I was kinda hoping to see someone real pitch…

5. Lanny says:

How many more starts will Mitre get? Even Russ Ortiz looks like a better option at this point.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

How many of Mitre’s starts have the Yanks won? Oh, 3 of 5 you say?

Any team that can play .600 ball when their 5th starter takes the hill is in kickass mode.

It is amazing how many Yankees fans can’t seem to enjoy the run they are on, but would rather fret over some potential problem.

• A.D. says:

if theyre starting isn’t pitching well then almost anyone could have pitched those game and won. So the fact the offense pulls it out despite Mitre’s shitty numbers isn’t really a reason to keep throwing Mitre out there.