Aug

Montero hurt in Trenton loss

Update (1:10am): No word on the extent of Montero’s injury, but he was taken to the hospital for x-rays after leaving the game. Mike Ashmore reports that PJ Pilittere is on his way to Trenton, indicating that Montero may be out for a while. There are only 35 games left in Trenton’s season, so we may have since the last of Mr. Montero in 2009.

Brett Marshall had/will have Tommy John surgery according to his Facebook page. If lucky, he’ll get a handful of innings late next year and be ready to go in 2011. (h/t TYU)

Triple-A Scranton
Game 1
(8-2 win over Pawtucket in 7 innings) makeup of one of those early July games when the field was unplayable because the drainage system wasn’t working
Ramiro Pena & Doug Bernier: both 0 for 2 – Pena drew two walks & scored a pair of runs … Bernier did each once
Colin Curtis, Juan Miranda & Yurendell DeCaster: all 2 for 4, 1 R – Curtis doubled, drove in two & K’ed … Miranda doubled, scored a run & drove in another
Austin Jackson & Francisco Cervelli: both 1 for 3, 1 R – Jackson was hit by a pitch, tripled, drove in two & K’ed … Cervelli had a steak
John Rodriguez: 2 for 3, 1 R, 1 RBI – threw a runner out at second from RF
PJ Pilittere: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 RBI
The Ghost of Kei Igawa: 5.2 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 8-4 GB/FB – 57 of 90 pitches were strikes (63.3%) … gave up a homer to first batter of the game, then not much else
Kevin Whelan: 1 IP, 0 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 2 K, 0-1 GB/FB – 13 of 32 pitches were strikes (40.6%) … yikes
Amaury Sanit: 0.1 IP, zeroes, 0-1 GB/FB – all three pitches were strikes

Game 2 (4-0 win over Pawtucket in 7 innings)
Ramiro Pena & John Rodriguez: both 0 for 3 – Pena drew a walk, scored twice & K’ed … J-Rod K’ed
Colin Curtis & Doug Bernier: both 1 for 2, 1 BB – Curtis doubled & got picked off first … Bernier drove in a run & K’ed
Austin Jackson, Eric Duncan & Chris Stewart: all 1 for 3 – Jackson scored a run … Duncan crossed the plate & K’ed … Stewart drove in a run, walked & K’ed
Juan Miranda: 2 for 2, 2 RBI
Yurendell DeCaster: 0 for 2, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 SB
Jason Hirsh: 5 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 7 K, 0-7 GB/FB – 54 of 78 pitches were strikes (69.2%) … Yanks debut … he was working in relief with Colorado, so he was on a pitch limit … could he be an upgrade over Sergio Mitre right now? well, he couldn’t be any worse
Edwar Ramirez: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 2-1 GB/FB – 23 of 34 pitches were strikes (67.6%)

Double-A Trenton (8-4 loss to Altoona) they got beat by the guy the Pirates got for Freddy Sanchez the other day
Austin Krum, Eduardo Nunez, Edwar Gonzalez & James Cooper: all 1 for 4 - Krum drew a walk, stole a base, tripled & scored a run … Nunez swiped a bag, drove in a run, scored another, & K’ed … Edwar drove in a run & threw a runner out at second from RF
Reegie Corona: 1 for 5, 1 3B, 3 K
Jesus Montero: 1 for 1, 1 RBI, 1 WP - left the game in the middle of the third after being crossed up and getting hit on the hand with a pitch … can’t confirm this, but apparently he was on the field in a lot of pain before leaving, so brace yourself … this could be bad
Kyle Anson: 0 for 3, 1 BB - took over for Montero
Chris Malec: 0 for 4, 1 R, 1 K
Richie Robnett & Marcos Vechionacci: both 2 for 4 – Robnett K’ed … Vech scored a run & missed a catch for an error
Lance Pendleton: 4.1 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 3 K, 2 HB, 2-7 GB/FB – AA debut
Humberto Sanchez: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 1 K, 1-3 GB/FB
Jason Stephens: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 3-1 GB/FB – he walked Pedro Alvarez intentionally
Wilkins Arias: 0.1 IP, zeroes, 0-1 GB/FB

High-A Tampa (4-3 win over Jupiter)
Dan Brewer, Kevin Smith & Seth Fortenberry: all 0 for 3 – Smith walked
Matt Cusick: 1 for 4, 1 2B
Austin Romine: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 BB – allowed one stolen base … working on a nice little eight game hit streak
Damon Sublett & Walt Ibarra: both 0 for 2, 1 R, 1 BB
David Adams & Luis Nunez: both 2 for 4, 2 2B – Adams drove in three & scored a run … Nunez plated one run & swiped a bag
Craig Heyer: 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 10-5 GB/FB – one walk in his last 40 IP (0.23 BB/9) … hot damn
Pat Venditte: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 2-1 GB/FB, 1 E (throwing) - picked a runner off first … just the fifth & sixth walks he’s issued this year
Jon Hovis: 0.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 1 K – nearly coughed it up before he was bailed out by
Brad Rulon: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 0-1 GB/FB

Low-A Charleston (7-1 loss to Lexington)
Jose Pirela: 3 for 3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 SB
Abe Almonte, Corban Joseph & Neal French: both 1 for 4 – Almonte threw a runner out at home from RF … CoJo K’ed & committed a throwing error … French K’ed twice
Melky Mesa & Mike Lyon: both 0 for 3, 1 BB – Mesa K’ed, committed a fielding error & threw a runner out second from CF … Lyon K’ed twice
Addison Maruzak, Ray Kruml & Mitch Abeita: all 0 for 4 – Maruszak & Kruml each K’ed once
Trenton Lare: 5 IP, 9 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 6-3 GB/FB
Charles Nolte: 2.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 3 WP, 1 HB, 4-3 GB/FB – 13 ER allowed in his last 11.1 IP
Jon Ortiz: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HB, 3-0 GB/FB

Short Season Staten Island
Game 1
(5-0 win over Brooklyn in 7 innings) makeup of yesterday’s rain out
Zoilo Almonte & Kelvin Castro: both 1 for 2, 1 BB – Almonte stole two bases & scored a run … Castro doubled & drove in a run
Kyle Higashioka, Neil Medchill & Carmen Angelini: all 0 for 3 – Medchill K’ed twice, Angelini once
DeAngelo Mack & Rob Lyerly: both 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 2B – Mack threw a runner out at third from RF … Lyerly drove in a run, K’ed & missed a catch for an error
Luke Murton: 3 for 3, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 HR, 2 RBI – 10 for his last 20 with three jacks
Adam Warren: 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 8-6 GB/FB – scoreless streak is up to 35 innings & his ERA is down to 0.82 … Robert Pimpsner tweets that he was sitting at 92 & touched 96
Griffin Bailey: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 1-2 GB/FB
Game 2 (3-1 win over Brooklyn in 7 innings)
Francisco Santana: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI – dude had a .239 SLG coming into the game
Hector Rabago & Luke Murton: both 0 for 3 – Rabago K’ed once, Murton twice
DeAngelo Mack, Emerson Landoni & Chad Gross: all 0 for 2 – Mack drew a walk, got caught stealing & K’ed … Landoni & Gross each K’ed twice
Kelvin Castro, Justin Milo & Carmen Angelini: all 1 for 2 – Castro stole a base, scored a run & K’ed … Milo homered & drove in two … Angelini doubled
Sean Black: 5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 6-4 GB/FB – Robert says he was hitting 95
Ryan Flannery: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 1-0 GB/FB
Ronny Marte: 1 IP, zeroes, 2 K, 1-0 GB/FB

Rookie GCL Yanks (3-0 loss to GCL Phillies)
Eduardo Sosa, Kelvin DeLeon & Kevin Mahoney: all 0 for 4, 1 K – Mahoney committed a fielding error
Jose Toussen: 0 for 3, 1 BB, 1 E (fielding)
Francisco Arcia: 2 for 4, 1 2B – picked a runner off first with a snap throw
Ramon Flores: 1 for 3, 1 BB
Yunior Tabares: 1 for 4, 1 K
Issac Harrow: 0 for 2, 2 BB, 1 K – 0 for his last 17
Isaiah Brown: 2 for 3
Brett Garritse: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 3-1 GB/FB – pro debut for the 12th rounder
Dickie Marquez: 3 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 2-6 GB/FB
Shane Greene: 3 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 1 HB, 4-1 GB/FB
Julian Arballo: 1 IP, zeroes, 1-2 GB/FB

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. Angelo says:

Montero could possibly be hurt. Is it ok that I am scared…?

2. Dela G says:

Dear lord,

please let montero’s hand just be a deep tissue bruise

Thanks,

Concerned Fans

3. The Artist says:

Jose Pirela: 3 for 3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 SB

Seems like every time I turn around, I see another one of these.

4. Lanny says:

Not like Montero blew out a knee or is having shoulder surgery. Relax.

You should all be more worried about the fact that we are 1 bad Mitre start away from seeing Igawa again.

5. Dear G-d:

Please, please, please let Jesus Montero have no injury worse than a bruise.

Please.

I don’t ask you for much.

Please do not take Jesus from us.

–Your not really humble and certainly not obedient servant

Rebecca

6. YankeeFan says:

Supposedly it’s his left hand which would be his catching hand. To be a little optimistic, at least it wasn’t his bare hand.

7. Angelo says:

Pirela was signed during the IFA period in the same year as Montero…I think. He’s been doing alright.

8. YankeeFan says:

I posted this in the open thread but would love to know what Hirsh’s velocity was and what he was throwing. Bad thing is Chad wasn’t working the games. He’s such an interesting case, he went from AAA pitcher of the Year and Top 50 prospect to just falling off the face of the planet when he was dealt to Colorado with a couple of injuries in the way as well.

9. The Artist says:

Apparently, there’s a lot less of Hungry Humberto this year. Good for him, he’s running out of time as a prospect at 26.

10. Angelo says:

I have no idea Yankeefan, but its odd that he fell off the way he did. Who did pitch for before going to Colorado. Was it the Astros?

• YankeeFan says:

Yep Astros and he was solid. Even in ’07 with Colorado he wasn’t great but he was what you expect from a young pitcher in his first season in getting a real taste of the big leagues.

• YankeeFan says:

And it’s not like his projection was a fringe starter/middle reliever…many believed he was a mid-rotation type of a guy. His drop off is so dramatic.

• Angelo says:

I guess thats why Mike A. was happy when they acquired Hirsh, despite having a bad year in Tripe-A. Maybe the Yankees can turn him around. A scouting report would be nice…

11. Angelo says:

Im not going to get an answer, am I…I shouldve known this would happen. I should avoid commenting on sites at all costs

12. CB says:

The link above related Brett Marshall’s Tommy John surgery is for a myspace page which describes brett marshall as being 22 and says he lives in (or come from?) tampa florida.

The Brett Marshall on Charleston is 19. He is also from Texas (though his official state of residence could now be Florida as described in that page).

The Brett Marshall whose myspace page that is does say he’s “signed with the yankees” but the ages don’t match.

13. Mike says:

Why does Marshall facebook list him as 22 years old? He isn’t even 20.

14. zs190 says:

Just curious but did anyone realize that Sergio Mitre’s FIP is 4.01 after his disastrous start last night? His BABIP is .414(!) and his GB/FB ratio is higher than before and his K/BB raito is along the career norm. Guys are just not catching any of the groundballs, resulting in a ton of hits.

It’s possible that this will stay the same but maybe, just maybe he’s been pitching ok but defense isn’t helping out. I wonder if a flyball/strikeout guy like Hirsh will be better (7K, 0/7 GB/FB ratio) but who really knows? Curious what others think about that.

Hope Montero is ok and can we move Adam Warren up yet? It’s clear that he’s just way better than competition right now, I don’t see any reason to keep him in SI, encouraged to hear he hit 96 though, he was supposed to be low 90′s, touching 94 around draft time.

• Tank the Frank says:

This is exactly why BABIP and FIP shouldn’t be considered in such a small sample size. Use your own two eyes. Mitre’s been getting hammered. These are not bleeders through a drawn-in infield. The groundballs aren’t finding holes, they’re being rocketed through and over them.

• zs190 says:

That’s a fine point. I’ll concede that, although it works the other way too. It’s 13 innings of bad results, that’s not conclusive one way or another. We probably can’t give him benefit of doubt due to his track record I guess, though we might not have any option for now.

• K.B.D. says:

They should be considered as much as any other statistic given the scarcity of starts from Mitre.

15. Mike bk says:

its time to move warren up and let him be challenged in charleston or tampa

• Angelo says:

Charleston would make more sense. Good signs from Warren, touching 96 on the radar guns is nice to hear. If his velocity can stay around 93-95, that would be great.

• Angelo says:

If his velocity can increase to around 93-95*

• K.B.D. says:

I don’t think that is a reasonable expectation considering there’s not much projection left with him and he doesn’t have a history of throwing that hard.

• Angelo says:

Thats probably accurate. But when I hear that he hit 96 on the gun, you cant help but think if its possible. He’ll probably keep a low 90′s fastball, but you never know.

• zs190 says:

Maybe, though he credits the velocity gain to getting better mechanics, I think. Here’s a small part of the excellent nomaas’ interview with him a while ago about his velocity gain. So it’s not completely out of question if his velocity gets better, though I generally agree that it’s unlikely.

Lane Meyer: I spoke to Damon Oppenheimer right after the draft, and when discussing you he told me that you just kept improving as the year wore on, specifically your fastball. Was that a concerted effort on your part, or did it just happen? Did you notice it?

Adam Warren: It’s actually kind of funny because I was 89-91 mph my last two years of college and then last summer I had one or two games where I would touch 94 mph. The first month or two of the college season I went back down to 89-91 mph when all of a sudden it just hit me – my arm started feeling better, I felt like my mechanics got to the point where it was second nature and I wasn’t even thinking about them, and I started to notice I was throwing a little harder. I can’t really explain it, I mean I wish I knew for sure what it was I was doing so I could maybe increase my velocity even more, but I think it’s just one of those things where I got in control of my delivery and my arm got stronger. It’s definitely been a blessing for me, especially to have it happen coming down the stretch here.

16. Mike bk says:

can we give a little love to david adams. playing even better at tampa than he was at charleston.

291 380obp 509slg 889ops and that is without any true homer power. 10 doubles and 4 triples in 33 games is pretty impressive.

14 for 35 with 5 2b, 3 3b, 1 hr, 10 rbi in the last 10 games.

Axisa, is he playing any better than you expected and plotted out in the profile that makes you think any more of him now?

• zs190 says:

I’m not sure how much props he deserves. He’s a 22 year old college hitter playing well in Tampa. To put it in perspective, Fangraph only has his OPS from 3 games ago and it was .794. So in 3 games, he got it up to .889, that just screams small sample. I would be shocked if opinion changes that fast for him.

Maybe if he hits well in a full season at AA next year, we can better evaluate his body of work.

• K.B.D. says:

All I’ll say is that as a college player, he should be displaying an advanced bat and plate discipline, which is exactly what he is doing.

• zs190 says:

Yeah, he’s been fine, I’m not saying he’s playing terrible by any means, but I think this is about what we should expect for a college bat, nothing really stands out.

I mean he hits .280/.370/.400 over his minor career of 700+ at bats and he just had a couple good games in Tampa this week to make his Tampa numbers look good, a couple 0-4 games and he could be back down to career norms, so it really hasn’t been a season where you can say, wow, maybe this guy is better than I think.

17. Salty Buggah says:

If Jesus has anything worse than a bruise, I will personally fly to Altoona and beat the living shit out of that pitcher’s (Alderson?) ass!!!!

18. daneptizl says:

Damn, Tabata’s at AAA now. Debuted at 3-3 with 2 BBs.

• Angelo says:

The pirates need someone to cheer for. I’m pretty upset about that trade even more now, since Nady and Marte havent contributed much to this teams success.

• Grandma Karkan says:

Atleast they were on the major league club, Tabata is no sure bet to be anything even if he does make it up to the woeful Pirates.

• Angelo says:

I would take Tabata because he’s only 20 years old in Triple-A. He’s still a good prospect. Nady is practically gone, and the Yankees wont get a compensation pick for him since he got injured this year. Marte has yet to show us anything. I have reason to be upset that we lost him

19. zs190 says:

Ashmore said Montero could miss some time with the hand injury, ugh, probably end of season for him since there isn’t that much time left in the minor league season?

• Angelo says:

I guess it depends on how bad the injury is. Chances are, even if he returns in about a week the injury will effect his stats. All we can do is hope for the best

20. hs says:

jesus has a broken middle finger in his catching hand and its likely out for the rest of the year..trenton loses montero and vasquez for the year in a matter of 10 days..touh break!!!

21. Angelo says:

Thanks for the update Mike

22. Angelo says:

Marshall is out for the rest of this year and likely next year as well. Montero is likely out for the rest of the season. Can we get some good news?

23. dan says:

This is tooting my own horn and might just be coincidence, but I was chastised a little last year when I said Marshall would have elbow issues if he continued to throw the way he did in his draft video. I know he’s just one of thousands of pitchers to have TJ every year, but I’m here to say, unfortunately, that I called that one.

24. dan says:

The x-ray machine tried to see into Jesus Montero and immediately burst into flames.

25. pollo says:

Just got back from Scranton.

Was by the Yankee bullpen. I think it was Amaury Sanit, but he was hitting on my sister from the bullpen. Shit was hilarious.

Jackson looks smaller in person. That triple he hit was a legit homer had he had more power. The guy needs some roids.

Whelan was frustrating as hell. He was throwing straight 95 gas, but lost his control the following inning and was all over the place.

Hunter Jones and Edwar have the Sloweeeeest delivieries ever. That shit was annoying

PNC Park is pretty nice, and double headers in general, are fun.

• pollo says:

Oh and stay away from Hirsch. Hitters were swinging at his real bad offerings. The Ks were a testament to how horrible the Pawtucket Sox offense is, and not how good a pitcher Hirsch is. His sliders were getting a lot of swing and misses, but for the most part the offerings looked like something a major league hitter would be able to stay away from. This dude will walk a lot of guys and give up a lot of runs against more disciplined hitters.

26. Drew says:

This is horrible. I think we all wanted him to grab a cup of coffee in Scranton this year. At this point, we can only pray to him that he only needs a couple weeks of rest and the hand heals well.

I must say though, I’m not looking forward to hearing the official news Sunday afternoon..

27. Alan says:

Good to know some Yankees know how to win against the Red Sox.

28. Marc says:

Pretty boy 12?!?! What a d-bag!!

29. [...] the news. Montero broke the middle finger on his right (throwing) hand after catching a pitch in last night’s game. He’ll be out 4-6 weeks according to the team, meaning he’s out for the rest of the [...]