Aug

Open Thread: This and that

After a seven-game tour of the west coast, the Yankees are chillin’ out and enjoying their off day before heading to Boston for a three-game set. Some of the Yanks are going to see Creed (Creed???), while I’m sure others are hanging out with the fam. We the fans are stuck with a Yankeeless night though.

Here’s a few loose links to help you cope…

• The Yanks paid 77% overslot to sign the first eight players they drafted. The Tigers lead the way by spending 214% overslot, while Texas came in at a paltry 43%. Yikes.
  • The Mets, however, are an entirely different brand of FAIL. Not only did they overdraft several players, but they also didn’t meet the asking prices of some of their better draft picks. That team is top heavy with elite talent talent, but it’s going to collapse on top of itself because the foundation is weak.
  • Dave Cameron of FanGraphs has an interesting take on how to fix the draft, he says it should be abolished all together. Each team would be allowed to spend a certain amount on amateur talent based on their record, with the money coming from the revenue sharing pool. I think it’s a much better system than straight up hard slotting.
  • If you haven’t already, make sure you follow RAB on Twitter. You should also follow Ben, Joe and myself while you’re at it.

* * *

Update: Late add to the linkroll: Tyler Hissey took a look back at the shortstop controversy for Team USA in the WBC. Heh, how different things are now.

* * *

Anyways, here’s an open thread for the night. The Mets are playing the Braves, while the Phils and D-Backs are on MLB Network. You’ve also got the Eagles and Colts on FOX in preseason action. Anything goes, just be nice.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Jose says:

The problems continue to pile up for the Mets. They soon could be fielding a team that has Dan Murphy and Jeff Francoeur hitting 3rd and 4th on a daily basis if they’re not careful.

2. Salty Buggah says:

The 5th headline on the ESPN MLB page:

“2 Yankees minor leaguers suspended for drugs”

They were in the DSL but this was more important than:

White Sox’s Peavy won’t guess when he’ll return
    MRI: Astros LHP Hampton has torn rotator cuff
    Dodgers sign Padilla to minor league contract
    Nats sell some seats for $1 on Strasburg night

3. You want me to follow you? FOLLOW BACK!!!!1111!!!

4. Jake H says:

The Nats are terrible. My wife even laughed when I was reading it.

My problem with changing the draft is that teams like the Marlins just pocket their revenue sharing money. When they came up with this idea it was to level the playing field. I understand that but most of the teams aren’t spending their money on the draft or making their teams better. Why don’t you force that Bud instead of hurting teams that want to spend their money to make their team better.

5. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

I give JR Murphy’s debut a A-

In 3 AB he had 1 hit, 1 walk, 1 strikeout, had 2 rbi, and 1 run. The – is because he didn’t bat 1.000 like I wanted!

6. karlkole says:

The Mess spent a total of only $1,864,000 on the 2009 draft picks that they selected from rounds 1-10

3 out of the 10 walked away after they realized that they were being low-balled.

What would you have expected from an organization run by an idiot & a psychopath?

Way to go, Omar & Bernazard!!!

Great recipe for sustained FAILURE!

• Januz says:

The Mets had the worst draft this side of the Canadian Border. Even Matz was not highly regarded coming out of HS (Mitchell and DeLuca were rated higher coming out). Here is another way to look at it: Matz got $895,000 (And he was their HIGHEST PAID pick), while JR Murphy got $1.2m (And picked LATER in the 2nd round).
      Here is what John Manual at SI says about it. While the crosstown Yankees spend money like nobody’s business in the draft, the Mets toe the line. Sure, they paid top pick Steve Matz an above-slot bonus, as he got $895,000, almost $400,000 more than the recommended slot. That’s a Mets rarity, and with no first-rounder (lost for signing free agent Francisco Rodriguez), Matz basically got a first-round bonus. The Mets failed to sign their fifth- and sixth-rounders, and only had two players — Matz and 13th-round pick Zach Dotson, a Georgia prep lefty signed for $500,000 — who signed for as much as the Yankees gave their 44th-round pick. No large-revenue team uses its money less in the draft than the Mets. http://www.si.com

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c.....z0OluL9hRC

7. Salty Buggah says:

Mike, you should also add this to the linkroll:

It’s an interview by Sweeny Murti with Mick Kelleher talking about the adjustments he made with Jete and Robbie and other defense stuff. It’s a great read/listen.

8. J.R. says:

Kevin Long is going with them to Creed? Apparently he drew babby sitting duties.

9. Mattingly's Love Child says:

I’m so disappointed the Charleston didn’t make one trip to Greensboro this year! What a crazy league where teams can play each other 1 series for the entire season (and of course they played in Charleston this summer). I was really hopin to watch some Low-A Yankee action here in NC, oh well!

10. Sure a lot of you saw this already, but TBL has a clip of Jon Heyman on Mike Wise’s radio show in DC in which Wise says Heyman’s a lackey for Scott Boras.

Whatever you might think of Heyman, I say good for him for keeping his cool while still making Wise look like a douchebag for making that comment.

• Mattingly's Love Child says:

I’m surprised you’re not at that concert! ;)

• The Artist says:

They’re known as ‘Christian Rockers’ or at least were when Stapp was in the band.

There is def a contingent of religious types on this team. Hughes and Aceves say prayers before they pitch, I’ve seen Posada make a cross in the dirt by home plate, and the manager is well known to be a religious guy. I have no problem with that, the late 90′s team had a similar contingent with Pettitte, Chad Curtis and Girardi as a player (among others).

• Doug says:

I remember after Creed broke up, Scott Stapp gave an interview saying that he had been a Christian but he “didn’t want to call attention to it” while he was still in the band.

Then the sex tape of him banging all those groupies with Kid Rock and doing blow or whatever it was came out.

That was pretty funny.

It’s quite a canny business move to write ambiguously spiritual lyrics and assume Christ poses in your music videos, then make mad bank off of the church crowd because your music is youth minister-approved. But it was all a musically moribund crock of horseshit.

11. Salty Buggah says:

Washburn got shelled again (6 ER in 6 IP with 4 HRs) today

12. Salty Buggah says:

Fuckin Nancy Drew tied the game at 1 with a HR

13. The Artist says:

I’m sorry, but naming your kid “Tyler Hissey” is just BEGGING for him to get his ass kicked in school. Begging.

14. TurnTwo says:

holy moly, that public speaker clip is gold, jerry. gold!

15. I’m watching Season 5 of Entourage ’cause I don’t have HBO and Phil Mickelson just showed up? And he swore?

16. E-ROC says:

Sheffield doesn’t like another team. Shocking! What a complete douche.

17. The Artist says:

Good ol Gary Sheffield up to his old tricks.

I miss him so much.

18. ShuutoHeat says:

“this and that” reminded me of Fatboy Slim’s Weapon of Choice that has the awesome Christopher Walken in the music video.

19. Zack says:

We always kill some of shows/hosts for showing bias and everything, but Mitch Williams was on WFAN this morning and gave the following answers:

Looking at the Yankees, what flaw do they have?
    -There isn’t one.
    -In a short series I’d take Yankees over Angels because of their SP

WS Prediction?
    -Yankees/Phillies
    -I said Phi/NYY in the begining of the year and I’m sticking with it.

20. The Artist says:

“A scout who watched Billy Wagner throw has “no doubt” that Wagner could help a team win. The Rays and Marlins are thought to have interest in Wagner, but neither team would be likely to give up much of a prospect unless the Mets picked up salary.”

I know Yankee-Met trades never happen, but we could really use another lefty in the bullpen.

• I don’t know about a trade for Wagner. I feel like the Mets would want too much out of what was going their way.

• The Artist says:

He’s making 10 mil, I think they’d just want someone to pay his contract for the last 6 weeks of the season. Throw in a low level minor leaguer just to make it look good. Chase Weems part 2.

• Yes, we could. His name is gonna be Damaso Marte, though.

• wilcymoore says:

Yeah! Give ‘em Damaso Marte! I’m down with that deal.

• The Artist says:

Did you just say can be ‘a solid lefty socialist for the Yanks’?

LET’S KEEP THE POLITICS OUT OF THIS, OK?!?

• Some people think D. Marte is a real relief pitcher, who can be a solid lefty specialist for the Yanks, even if it’s not till next year. Me, I’m thinking he’s more like (cough, cough) Felix Heredia.

Oh, okay. So the 23 innings he’s thrown for the Yanks, a third of which came while he was hurt, counts for more in your evaluation than the 450 innings he threw before that, huh?

Makes sense. Sounds like sound reasoning.

(rolls eyes)

• wilcymoore says:

Yeah, I know his White Sox/Pittsburgh stats. But his White Sox days were a long time ago (or seem that way), and his Pirate numbers ain’t real in the AL.

I saw what I saw last year, and hurt or not I don’t trust ‘im. (Hence the Felix Heredia reference.)

• Felix Heredia career ERA+: 97
              Damaso Marte career ERA+: 132

• Mattingly's Love Child says:

Though I agree with your general premise that Marte is better than what he’s shown the Yankees thus far, I worry that not pitching for much of a year and now being in the Big Boy League will have a negative effect on his performance.

He definitely will not be the garbage that he was earlier this year or a few outings last year (I know a few bad ones skewed the total). But I think it is realistic to be concerned whether he will be able to recreate his National League abilities at this point.

21. vinny-b says:

(i posted too late in the other thread)

it is funny, someone had initiated a thread on a different site asking which cities would be ideal for MLB expansion teams, and i listed:

1) Hartford CT

2) Portland Ore

I don’t know much specifically regarding Hartford. However, CT (like NY) is baseball country. It seems like they would have much fan interest.

as far as Scranton goes. It is a very lovely setting. Maybe NYY should simply make the best of it.

by the way, some one had mentioned Dutchess Stadium (home of the Tampa rookie affiliate). This would be a picture perfect location for a AAA team. Nestled in the Hudson Highlands and right on I-84. And only 4 miles from my house : )

• Hartford is in the middle of NY and Boston; I don’t think they’d have much of a fan base to be honest.

• Zack says:

exactly. lets leave NY/BOS and start being fans of a 60-70 win team? not happening.

• Did the Roman Empire give a crap that Cairo was closer to the Parthian region than it is to the Seven Hills of Rome?

No. They just took that shit, because they take whatever the f$%#k they feel like taking.

Red Sox “Nation” doesn’t want us in Connecticut? I don’t give a crap. They can stay their bitch-asses in the back seat. Grown folks are talking here.

• Mattingly's Love Child says:

Red Sox “Nation” has no hold in Ct. Often people use the CT River as the dividing line, but there were plenty of us Yankee fans who grew up in the sticks East of the River.

When the Yankees had their AA team in Norwich that team was regularly in the league lead in attendance. Now that it is the Giants….not so much.

• Mattingly's Love Child says:

*league leaders not lead

• wilcymoore says:

I never really understood why the Yankees moved their AA affiliate out of Norwich. Seemed like a good fit to me. (Not that there’s anything wrong with Trenton, N.J., but I kind of liked the idea of the Yanks honing in on the Red Sox in Connecticut.)

• Mattingly's Love Child says:

It didn’t make sense to me. I remember sitting behind home plate in Norwich for Doc Gooden’s rehab start there. My Mo that curveball was unholy. Wasn’t fair to the poor AAers.

• Tom Zig says:

I think we should put our AAA affiliate on Yawkey Way. Imperial March blaring from our moving trucks and all.

• TurnTwo says:

i didnt get a chance to post in the earlier thread, but IMHO, Northern Jersey is perfect for a new minor league franchise… and if not Hoboken, why not Paterson/Wayne/East Rutherford? i know they originally had a plan for a minor league park as a part of that awful Xanadu development and scrapped it because they didnt have the funds.

but screw the rest of this independent nonsense.

22. Drew says:

Someone get this guy on Fox some Visine.

23. The Artist says:

“Tyler” as a first name doesn’t help, but I’m not sure even the manliest name could make “Hissey” sound macho.

-Rocco Hissey

-Nick Hissey

-Carmine Hissey

Nope. I’m just not feelin it. Though ‘Nick’ is close.

24. Aj says:

Toronto frustrates me when they play Boston.

25. Salty Buggah says:

Sox lead thanks to th umps. Cecil didnt catch the pitch from the catcher, went to go pick it up and apparently called time or the ump called for the ball so he throws/rolls it away to the dugout. However, time wasn’t called apparently and Cecil was charged a 2-base error and then Bay scored on a Lowell base-hit.

But its a moot point now, as Drew HR’s for the 2nd time.

26. wilcymoore says:

Ha, ha, the Tyler Hissey article quotes Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports. Ken Rosenthal?! Ken Rosenthal knows nothing about baseball. How that guy makes a living as a “baseball reporter” is beyond understanding …

27. Mike HC says:

Does anybody know the inning limits on guys like Kershaw, Josh Johnson, Yavani Gallardo. What are their teams doing with those guys this year?

28. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Wow the Braves top pick, Mike Minor is ripping Charleston.

29. wilcymoore says:

Hey, I see J. R. Murphy made his first appearance today, for the GCL Yankees. 1 for 3, 1 walk, 2 RBI.

30. JMK says:

Anyone else see the video of the public speaking fail?

“We need the food because…it’s food and stuff. We could make things–we could make things cars, the maaaaachine. We can make it forest! Food is soo good for the, um, for the people, because it’s free…All you have to do is pay the farmers and pay for the land. So we should just sell it at the farmer’s market.”

This is why I’m glad to be out of undergrad. How the hell can one really believe that the only expenses are the farmers and the land? Irrigation, property taxes, equipment, fertilizer, pesticides, maintenance, utilities, distribution systems, workers, harvest, and I’m sure there are more.

If she were prettier I’d tell her to move to South Carolina.

31. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Tampa Yanks pound Furbush for the third time this season.

And for the third time this season, it’s still not a funny joke.

32. Zack says:

Wagner is in for the Mets. Throwing 95

33. zs190 says:

Why do the Jays suck so much? Not even really putting up a fight.

34. The Artist says:

Damn, how could we have forgot JJ PUTZ when we were doing names before?

35. Yankee Von Homerdinger says:

Sheffield up and he wants his money.

36. Mike Axisa says:

How awesome would it be if K-Rod blew this save and a “Wagner should be the closer!!!” controversy was born?

• Mike Axisa says:

I’m an idiot, they’re already losing.

• The Artist says:

People have to care for there to be a controversy. Mets are roadkill.

• Exactly.

I just asked a Mets fan I know whether he wants Wagner or Walk-Rod to be the closer. He told me to stop screwing around and administer the Propofol already.

• The Artist says:

Now they have to move to Plan B, watching the Yanks and hoping they lose. One thing Mets fans will always have, rooting against the Yanks.

• That, and claiming that Jose Reyes is better than Derek Jeter… AWWWWWWWWWW, TOO SOOOOOOOOOON??????

• PinstripesForeverDouglas says:

It boggles the mind that any idiot ever thought that overhyped, & 3rd best shortstop in his own division, was better than the Captain. Literally, Reyes has ONE better season than Jeter and that was last year when Jeter was hurt most of the year with a bad wrist.

It just infuriates me to realize how biased our media is against the Yankees and dishonered Jeter by jumping to such obscene conclusions. I’ll never deny Reyes has more raw skill than Jeter but he never actually proved his worthiness over Jeter on the field- except stealing bases.

While, I feel a little bad for crtiquing the kid, when it was the Yankee hating media that was behind the controversey in the first place. Still, I do believe Reyes will better than Jeter… when he is
              relaxing in the pool with 3 supermodels in the luxery of retirement in June of 2015 or 2013. :)

• Ha! It’s funny ’cause it’s true!

37. Yankee Von Homerdinger says:

Chad Gaudin had for 100 grand.
    The trade is now complete.

38. Yankee Von Homerdinger says:

Your boys at MLB Trade rumors.

39. The Artist says:

Anyone ever check out TiricoSuave?

His Francesa shit is hilarious.

40. AJ says:

Kevin Millar is hitting .091 against Boston this year. Coincidence?

• PinstripesForeverDouglas says:

Nope, he’s already signed an exclusive deal to be their Mascot after he retires and he doesn’t want to offend the sensibilites of the Red Nation. Sersiousy, what is more pathetic? Wally the Green Monster or Millar in some bad cowboy getup screaming all game long “Cowboy Up” in a drunken daze.

Millar Mascot = Dancin’ Homer

41. Tom Zig says:

This is probably one of the funniest open threads I’ve seen.

42. Tom Zig says:

Chris Duncan was released. TSJC’s dream of fielding a team of Sanchezs, Cabreras, and Duncans lives on