Aug

The three batters that doomed A.J., Yanks

For A.J. Burnett, the first 11 outs were a piece of cake. Coming off a bad start, the Yanks’ hurler recorded eight strike outs through the first 3.2 innings of the game, and then he ran into trouble.

He walked Josh Hamilton. He walked Nelson Cruz. Then, he threw a fastball to Ian Kinsler that should have been outside but caught too much of the plate. Kinsler lifted the ball over Johnny Damon‘s head and into the left field stands for a three-run home run. It was Texas’ first hit of the game. While the Rangers would eventually tack on four more runs, those three would hold up as Texas beat the Yanks 7-2.

After that home run, Burnett would go on to strike out five of the last nine Rangers he faced. He allowed just one hit and walked just one more Ranger. Overall, Burnett was as good as he could be with 12 Ks in 6 innings. But he threw a meatball at the wrong time, and Ian Kinsler made him pay.

During the early innings, though, the Yankees were not without their chances. They plated a run in the first, and with bases loaded and no one out, they had Dustin Nippert on the ropes. Robinson Cano lined a ball into left field that could have cleared the bases had it fallen. Instead, David Murphy tracked it down for the final out of the inning.

This would become a pattern. Nippert, in fact, threw too many pitches and walked too many Yankees to get a decision. His final line was ugly. He lasted 3.2 innings and gave up 4 hits and 7 walks. Yet, the Yanks couldn’t get that big hit. Mark Teixeira went 2 for 2 with runners in scoring position and had both Yankee RBIs, but the rest of the team went 0 for 10 in that situation. They left 12 runners on and lost a series at home for the first time since mid-June.

Until Burnett was lifted for Phil Coke in the 7th, the Yanks had their shots. Once Coke game in, though, the Rangers put the game out of reach. Murphy doubled, and then Coke misplaced a Taylor Teagarden bunt for an infield single. Chris Davis blasted a three-run home run to right, and that 6-2 Texas lead seemed insurmountable.

For Coke, this outing was the icing on a rather rotten cake. Over his last 20 appearances, he has thrown 15.1 innings and has given up 17 runs. At the same time, Phil Hughes, over the last 13 days, has thrown 2.2 innings and 37 pitches. Over the last 20 days, he has thrown a whopping 5.1 innings. With Hughes more than underused and Marte on the bench, I don’t know why Coke was throwing in a one-run situation after he had been used yesterday. Just because the Yanks have a seemingly large lead doesn’t mean Joe Girardi should stop managing to win. It isn’t, as we all know, over until it’s over.

In the bottom of the 7th, the Yanks nearly mounted a rally. Damon singled, and Mark Teixeira reached on a botched fielder’s choice. But A-Rod, Hideki Matsui and Nick Swisher all went down on strikes, and with it, the Yanks’ chances faded. Ian Kinsler would tack on the seventh Ranger run with his second home run of the day, and that would be all for the Yanks, doomed by one bad pitch and an utter lack of clutch hitting.

Feel free to use this as your open thread for the night. The White Sox, this weekend’s opponent, and the Red Sox are squaring off at 7 p.m., and that game is on the MLB Network. The Dolphins and Bucs play a pre-season game on Fox tonight. Half fun. Be cool. We’ll be back with DotF later on.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Teix is the Man says:

I’m kind of annoyed at how Hughes is being used.

2. Whitey14 says:

Curious what logic the Yankees were using by claiming Chris Carter? Would be shocked if they had legitimate interest and they can’t think he’s an important enough piece to really help the Mets. It doesn’t impact the trade from the Red Sox perspective because it wasn’t contingent on Carter making it through waivers anyway and I’m sure Cashman knew that. Does it mean Boston has to surrender a potentially better prospect because that’s the only thing I can think of to motivate it and Cashman wouldn’t do that because it would be as ungentlemanly as Epstien signing Tazawa was and….just curious what people are thinking…

• “Does it mean Boston has to surrender a potentially better prospect because that’s the only thing I can think of to motivate it and Cashman wouldn’t do that because it would be as ungentlemanly as Epstien signing Tazawa was and….just curious what people are thinking…”

You know, I don’t think it’s comparable in any way to the Tazawa situation. In that situation, Cashman apparently decided he didn’t want to break the gentlemen’s agreement between MLB and NPB that MLB teams would not sign amateur Japanese players away from NPB. In this situation, whatever his motivation, Cashman isn’t breaking any gentlemen’s agreement, he’s playing fully within the written (and unwritten) rules and apparently just gumming up the works for his closest divisional rival and a geographic rival. He’s working completely within the rules, not breaking any sort of gentlemen’s or handshake agreements, and it’s the kind of thing he used to do all the time (see: Canseco, Jose). The Tazawa situation is irrelevant to this incident.

3. manimal says:

So does claiming Chris Carter affect the Wagner trade?

4. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

I am really really aggravated that Hughes hasn’t been used, he is more important to us than Coke will ever be, and should have gotten that ball…

• Teix is the Man says:

Read above comments

• Pasqua says:

If we look “big picture,” at least the Yanks (if not all teams) can look at the situation that Hughes is in now (a great arm completely underused and invisible) as evidence that “the 8th inning guy” is a completely overvalued role and that bullpen pitchers are bullpen pitchers because (with rare exception) they can’t cut it as starters.

In other words, let this be a wake-up call to management.

5. Jake H says:

I wonder if Abe Almonte will get to .290 average.

6. Salty Buggah says:

This series loss stung because of the bunt situation on Tuesday. Oh well, Im confident in the team to come out and win tomorrow.

Well, here’s hoping the White Sox don’t roll over and actually salvage a game from Bahston.

7. EvoLuTioN says:

When was the last time hughes pitched? Everytime he comes out he’s rusty as hell because he barely gets innings, pretty sad. Theres a limit to keeping a guy fresh and making him off limits unless its 3 runs or less lead. Lame

And i’m so sick of Coke. Is anyone actually surprised he served up yet another bomb? Hes a flyball pitcher and it bites him in the ass way too often. Hopefully girardi stops comforting his nuts and puts marte in that spot sooner rather than later.

8. I said that he says that she says:

Since this is an ‘open thread’. How does my Fantasy Roster look? It is my first time doing it so I think I honestly did terrible, but it’ll do… for now.

STARTERS

RB Le’Ron McClain
    RB Fred Jackson
    WR Hakeem Nicks
    WR Steve Breaston
    D/ST Cowboys
    K Kris Brown

• I said that he says that she says:

Oh and QB Mark Sanchez as well

• E-ROC says:

Awesome. I’ve never participated in fantasy football. Probably should, but anyway, Le’Ron McClain won’t be carrying the rock this season, or participate in the passing game. He is pretty much a full time blocker this season with the emergence of Ray Rice. I don’t know if that helps or not. :)

9. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Wow, we screwed the Mets over:

Forced the Sox to pull him back and prevent the Mets from getting a first hand look at him.

10. Salty Buggah says:

Seriously, I hope Tazawa has a stinker today. He has a fuckin 5.69 FIP!!! He had a 1-2-3 1st though because the White Sox are bitches.

11. VO says:

Is ESPN the best place to play fantasy football?

12. AJ says:

Did anyone hear the game on the radio? Sterling said “hey! Look at that, AJ Burnett is throwing a perfect game..” Then he went on a rant about how its ridiculous to believe in “jinxing” a game. Not two seconds later Burnett’s meltdown to those three batters began. I don’t believe in that stuff but next time I’ll keep my mouth shut till the no-no is given up.

• Johan Iz My Brohan says:

When I go to the MLB homepage and see “so and so, no no through 5″ I say to myself “Well, there you go, he’s not getting it”

13. Zack says:

nice to see Tazawa give up 4 runs in the 2nd

14. Joba or Hughes to the pen says:

Why are people surpised by not seeing Hughes.He needs 40 pitches to pass one inning.And I don’t remember him pitching back to back days besides only one time.

15. Brian says:

TazaWTF! Excellent.

Been a long time coming. I want us to pick up Penny now…seems like good luck. (boooo)

16. Frank says:

Ben summed it up well. Burnett had 1 bad inning, not to mention all the scoring happened with 2 outs and no one on, which seems to be the pattern over this past week. The Yanks had a ton of chances in the first 4 to knock out Nippert and couldn’t touch a pedestrian pitcher like Grilli over 2.1 innings. Coke then let the game get away. Speaking of Coke, 9 HRs allowed in just over 51 innings this season. Not good.

17. Phil, Phil! Wherefore art thou, Phil?

Innings! Innings! My kingdom for innings for Phil!

18. GG says:

9ER in 4.2 IP for Tazawa…this guy is the reason they released Penny? Sick Depth

19. Yankee1010 says:

I’d be OK with Danks recording another out relatively soon.

20. Dela G says:

i love the white sox

21. Yankee1010 says:

Nice of those gutty, gritty, play the right way Red Sox to run themselves out of the inning.

22. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

It’s funny how disinterested Joe Buck sounds everytime he does a broadcast. If he hates sports so much, why doesn’t he give it up? I fucking hate that douche.

• Dela G says:

cuz his dad did it, so he feels obligated to force us to listen to his garbage

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

If I were at that game I would be pissed. Rain delay in football? “But there is no need to risk injuries.” Then there is no need to charge the same fucking price for a preseason game as a regular season game.

• Dela G says:

agreed, thats incredible> The NFL is so stupid sometimes

• Then there is no need to charge the same fucking price for a preseason game as a regular season game.

Meh, if they did the alternative and made preseason games cheap, or free, they’d just jack up the prices of the regular season games appropriately. It’s like the “Buy three tires, get one free” deal.

Sidenote: I’m thinking of buying tickets to the final Jets preseason game for the following reasons:

1) Since it’s preseason, you can get primo seats like 15 rows from the field for $20 a piece
          2) It’s Jets v. Eagles… may see Mike Vick in primo seats for $20. Can’t beat that.

• Accent Shallow says:

This is something I don’t entirely understand. If your father was one of the best in his field, why would you follow him into it unless you had a passion or talent?

Ref: Joe Buck, Jakob Dylan, etc etc

23. Dela G says:

this jimmy fund cancer survivor story is awesome

i love a great cancer survivor story

24. Salty Buggah says:

I enjoyed the regression to the mean for Tazawa very much today…if they lose, it will make today’s loss/this series loss hurt less.

25. Zack says:

nick green warming up for the sox

26. Mike Axisa says:

Awesome, Nick Green is warming up to pitch.

27. Salty Buggah says:

I cant wait until hopefully Alex Gonzalez crashes like Nick Green. He’s keeping their hopes up with some hits and 3 HRs.

28. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

OMG!! Nick Green is going to be FUNNNN to watch

Nick Swisher > Nick Green

29. Salty Buggah says:

He’s throwing 90!

30. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

90 mph cutter… not bad, just gotta locate it lol.

31. Salty Buggah says:

Beckham fail, poppin out on a 3-1 count

32. Dela G says:

nick green throws really hard

33. Salty Buggah says:

AJ Piershitske fail

34. Salty Buggah says:

HR Thome please

35. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Paul Konerko A+

Let’s go THOME!!!!

36. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Why do games in the Sally League take so freaking long to finish?

37. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

No hittah through 1

Cy Young winnah!!

38. Salty Buggah says:

White Sox fail…he threw 5 strikes and 9 balls

I think they just have dinner plans

39. Steve H says:

I bet Nick Green hitter would ops about .600 off Nick Green pitcher.

40. Dela G says:

fucking A, the sox are coming back

end this shit dotel

• Salty Buggah says:

nah, they’re a bunch of stat-padders

In a blowout, our lesser relievers allow run to hurt our run-diff but they pad their stats to help their run-diff. Thats why we dont have that big of a run-diff

• Reggie C. says:

5 runs to tie , 3 outs left … I’m gonna risk the jinx and say the Red Sox aren’t gaining ground tonight. We caught a break.

41. pat says:

This fake boston accent if fucking terrible

42. Salty Buggah says:

Nick Green’s got a horrible BB% and K% going…also he has an atrocious strike to ball ratio

43. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

You know there is a problem when your team goes hitless against Nick Green for 2 innings.

44. Dela G says:

green did a great job there getting outs

45. Salty Buggah says:

team player that Nick Green

/ESPN’d

I can only imagine the jokes up in Bahston whenever a starter or reliever struggles.

46. pat says:

yay, lets watch as jenks roll over for them

47. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Douchiest Goatee Award: JD Drew or Bobby Jenks?

48. Salty Buggah says:

Those never say die stat-padders in Boston trying to come back but wont

49. pat says:

Damn, I kinda wanted to face Peavey in our thunderdome on saturday,

• Salty Buggah says:

Me too but oh well. I think Peavy is going to be disappointing in the AL. WHat do you think?

• pat says:

If people are expecting him to be the same Peavy I think they’ll be dissapointed, but he should still be a good pitcher. His reluctance to leave the Petco, NL sanctuary is a bit unsettling, along with moving to a media saturated market and playing for one of the more insane managers in baseball.

• Eh, I think he’ll do fine. I wouldn’t expect him to rock a sub 3 ERA like he did in ’07 and ’08, but I don’t think he’ll go as high as the 4.09 from ’06. He’ll settle in at around…3.4-3.6 I bet. The main cause of the rise will be a higher walk rate and higher HR rate.

• Zack says:

” He’ll settle in at around…3.4-3.6 I bet. ”
            He has a 3.84 era away from Petco, while pitching in the NL, and Chicago is a hitters park isnt it? So i have alot of doubt about him

50. Salty Buggah says:

Who do you guys think claimed and will get Harden?

I have hopes its us, no matter how unlikely it is.

51. Dela G says:

YAY

BOSTON LOSES!

6 GAME LEAD!

52. Aj says:

God can anyone just shut the door on these guys?

53. Mike Axisa says:

This LLWS game on ESPN is epic. And that kid they just IBB’d is freaking gigantic.

54. Bring in Swisher to bunt.

55. bonestock94 says:

Well, I’m cool with tonight’s loss since it was to the Rangers and the sawks lost. As cool as I can be with a loss.

56. Nigel Incubator-Jones says:

I’d like to publically thank the Yankees for winning the one game in the Texas series I attended. And it was totally worth $150 to sit in a folding chair in the back of section 127a.

Back to Cali in the morning.

57. The Artist says:

I’ve just calculated Phil Coke’s ERA for the month of August.

WARNING:If you have any children in the room, I would suggest you put them to bed, or make them avert their eyes. This is going to get ugly.

Are you ready?

8.2 IP

11 ER

10.55 ERA

58. Evan says:

Ouch, that Georgia pitcher just had a Bob Moose moment.

59. bonestock94 says:

The little league games are surprisingly entertaining. It’s pretty funny to watch those little fuckers act like their favorite players.

60. bonestock94 says:

It brings back bad memories of multi-error games at third lol..

61. The Artist says:

Chad Gaudin’s ex

If I was dating her, I just might grow a beaver on my chin too, if she asked me.