Aug

Yankees acquire Chad Gaudin

Via the YES broadcast (Carig confirms), the Yanks acquired Chad Gaudin from the Padres for a player to be named later. Gaudin figures to compete with Sergio Mitre for the fifth starter spot, if not assume it outright. He had a 5.13 ERA in 20 games (19 starts) with San Diego, but his FIP is a much prettier 3.68. Amazingly, Gaudin is only 26 and still has another year of team control left. The PTBNL might be fairly significant (as in not lower level filler).

I’ve been a Gaudin fan since he was with Oakland, so I approve.

Update (10:17pm):
Joel Sherman says the Yanks owe Gaudin $650,000 the rest of the year, but tack on another $260,000 to the league for luxury tax.

Update (10:38pm): T-Kep says the plan is for Gaudin to work out of the bullpen, but you have to assume the clock is ticking on Mitre.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Charlie says:

nice. the guy’s not great, but he’ll give us more depth and he might be better than mitre

2. V says:

He’s gonna have to shave that squirrel off his chin now: http://waiversharks.com/ramble.....gaudin.jpg

3. Steve H says:

Yeah, nice to have either as #5 or long man. Good pickup.

4. The Artist says:

I don’t if Kay said it on the broadcast, its not official to me until I see it posted on RAB.

5. Mike Pop says:

Solid pickup, I guess.

Can’t complain.

6. c bleakley says:

I would think he goes right into the rotation.

7. Salty Buggah says:

not bad…more shit to throw at the wall

8. Lanny says:

Mitre is a goner. It was fun while it lasted.

9. Jamal G. says:

Chad Gaudin’s *tRA is 4.53 this year. Yovani Gallardo and Clayton Kershaw are each at 4.46; Randy Wolf and Jair Jurrjens are at 4.56 and 4.57, respectively.

10. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

I don’t particularly like the numbers, but I think this will end up being a great move.

• Mikebk says:

he has either been really solid to excellent or awful in looking at his outings. the era is inflated cause he has given up 5 or more runs in 6 outings.

11. Mikebk says:

according to the Elias rankings Gaudin is type B as a RP though i dont think he is FA eligible.

12. Jordan says:

3.68 FIP, 19.3 LD%, 1.5 WAR

13. Observer283 says:

Certainly helps with the limiting of Joba’s innings.

14. c bleakley says:

I like him better than Bronson Arroya

15. Charlie says:

how significant are we talking?? Mcallister significant?

16. Observer283 says:

What do people know about Duscherer? Is he pitching in the minors again? I heard he missed a start a while back. Still interested in him.

17. Reggie C. says:

Rather have Tim Hudson…

• Mike Pop says:

Ya, he wouldn’t come as cheap though.

Coming off surgery, at least we know Gaudin can go out there and pitch.

18. Accent Shallow says:

Not a bad pickup.

Hope the PTBNL is nobody.

19. Charlie says:

nice, now we have cc, aj, joba, petitte, mitre, gaudin, and russ ortiz. If we get lincecum and greinke, then we’ll ALMOST have as much depth as the red sox

20. Russell NY says:

When you walk the #9 hitter (Nick Green) with an 8 run lead the game should be stopped and on a big screen should be a video of you driving back to AAA.

21. V says:

A PTBNL would be either 1) an injured player, 2) a recent draftee, or 3) a list of players, agreed that it will be one of them, but not known who yet, right?

22. Dan says:

This guy was on the free agent scrap heap early in the season after getting released by the cubbies. I cant see the Yankees giving up anything significant. The Pads were prob happy to just save the $$$$ this year.

23. Jordan says:

It can’t be too significant a player if the Yankees are paying the rest of what’s owed to him.

24. Mike Pop says:

T-Kep says plan is for him to start in bullpen.

25. Yankee1010 says:

I can’t see him actually staying in the bullpen so that Mitre can continue to freckle the bowl in the rotation. I give it one more Mitre start and that’s it.

Good pickup though. Obviously, it depends on who they gave up, but Gaudin is no slouch.

26. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

PTBNL maybe Ivan Nova?

27. yankeefan91 Arod fan says:

wow gaudin wife is sexyyyy

28. Mister Delaware says:

I just love this pickup. Love it.

29. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

After looking at some of his stats, I think he is actually a pretty good pitcher. The only problem I see is lefties hit him hard, while he righties cannot hit him.

30. Chris A says:

Gaudin “feels at home in Padres rotation”, oh wait…

31. Dela G says:

i’m very excited for this pick up

32. Alex B says:

Great pickup, no matter what they decide to do with him (bullpen or rotation) he is going to add depth which is something the yanks need…any idea on who the PTBNL is?

33. DreDog says:

This is better than Garland or anyone else. He may actually contribute cheaply and do so again in ’10. Not like the other guys thought to be available.

34. Charlie says:

wait, does this mean gaudin cleared waivers? if not, color me confused

• DreDog says:

They don’t announce who clears waivers since 100′s of players clear waivers. Complete 25 man rosters are put on waivers.

35. DreDog says:

OK, I am not worried about the PTBNL. Pete Abe says this deal was in the works since befer the deadline. That means Cash couldn’t have gone nuts and sent anyone good (or good enough to freak me out).

36. Mike says:

Another Cashman scrub. You can throw all of the odd ball stats you want out there, but in the end he’s still 4-10 with a 5+ ERA, now with his 6th team at age 26.

SCRUB.

• whozat says:

Yeah, I hate understanding why things are the way they are!

Is he going to be great? No. Is it possible that he will be better than Mitre? Yes. Could he soak up some innings down the stretch? Maybe. Did he cost much? No.

So why are you bitching?

• Mike says:

Not bitching, just stating fact. He’s going to get clobbered, you’ll see.

• whozat says:

You know, if you’d said “oh, his decent tRA is at least partially due to a significant drop in his HR/FB rate that is probably due to Petco, and could regress badly in Yankee Stadium,” I’d have agreed with you. But that’s an “odd ball stat” that actually “examines what’s going on” and allowed me to “make an informed prediction.”

I bet you would have lauded a Washburn acquisition, though, hm? Look at that sparkling ERA!

• Mike says:

Not quite. Going back to last season when there were rumors that the Yanks might get Washburn, I wrote on my blog that I didn’t want him.

If this guy is so good, why has he been with now 7 teams in 7 seasons?

Why has he been traded for the likes of Kevin Cash and the great Josh Donaldson?

This guy is the 2009 version of Sid Ponson, Scott Erickson, Donovan Osborn, LaToya Hawkins and all of the other pitching losers Cashman has brought here.

• Glen L says:

That’s some great analysis!! way to get really in depth with underlying causes and considering all the things that can skew a pitchers ERA that are completely out of his control … also .. wins! great great great stat for analysing a pitcher, since its COMPLETELY within the pitcher’s control whether he gets a W or not

…look gaudin isn’t halladay, but he’s a better pitcher than traditional (deeply inferior) stats suggest

37. Mike in Florida says:

His girlfriend is hot! Good pick up for that alone!

38. [...] had several post-trading deadline deals in baseball (Anderson Hernandez? Greg Veloz?), for fellas like Chad Gaudin.  Oooo, a 5.13 ERA.  I’ll let River Avenue Blues and others in the previous link elaborate [...]

39. [...] the Yankees acquired Chad Gaudin from the Padres to add another insurance arm. He’ll start off in the pen, but that should [...]

40. Steve says:

His numbers look bad on the surface but consider this

His FIP is only a 3.68, which is slightly better than CC (3.71) and Johan (3.77) and only slightly worse than Jair Jurjens (3.63).

*FIP stands for Fielder Independent Pitching and tries to scale a league-adjusted ERA by removing bad/great defense behind the pitcher.

Additionally, fangraphs caculates that his value thus far in 2009 has been $6.9 million. That is equal to Ryan Dempster and Mike Pelfrey and slightly below J.A. Happ ($7.0). Joba is valued thus far at $5.7 million

I’m not saying this means that he will be a great pitcher… but the Yankees are only responsible for the prorated portion of the league minimum salary for him. That’s great value.

41. [...] weeks after shipping Chad Gaudin to the Bronx, the Padres decided to take $100,000 back in return. It was originally reported that the Pads would [...]

42. [...] with their most notable August pickup of the last half-decade being Chad Gaudin in 2009. They acquired him from the Padres for cash and he went on to solidly soak up some innings as the fifth starter late [...]