Oct

Burnett dominates as Yanks even Series

AJFist

Welcome to the World Series, Good A.J.

Heading into Thursday’s Game 2, we didn’t quite know what game to expect. The Yanks had A.J. Burnett, the definition of baseball inconsistency on the mound, and the Phillies were countering with Pedro Martinez, a relic of another age who has reinvented himself Mike Mussina-style into a off-speed demon. It could have been a slugfest; it could have been a pitcher’s duel.

In compelling fashion, we enjoyed the latter. The Yankees saw Good A.J. — an outing Derek Jeter called “the best I’ve seen all year” — and beat Pedro and the Phillies 3-1 to tie up the World Series. The teams now head 99 miles south for three weekend games in the City of Brotherly Love.

In a word, Burnett was masterful tonight. He flashed his power fastball and devastating curve balls and sliders for seven innings. He allowed just a single run on four hits and only two walks while striking out nine. “Today was one of those days where he had more than extra life in his fastball, and the hook was right there,” Jose Molina, Burnett’s own catcher, said.

Burnett, though, had the final word. “It was,” he said, “the funnest I’ve ever had on the baseball field.”

Burnett set the stage early for pitching performance. He started the game out with a 95-mph first-pitch strike to Jimmy Rollins and never looked back. Burnett proceeded to throw a called first-pitch strike to the nine of the first ten Phillies he faced and didn’t throw a first-pitch ball until Chase Utley came up in the third, 12 batters into the game. “After last night, I just wanted to come out and set the tone early,” he said. “My key was strike one tonight. I threw a lot of first pitch strikes and that allowed me to expand the zone.”

The Yanks, though, found themselves on the wrong end of a 1-0 game early. With two outs, Burnett allowed a bloop double to Raul Ibañez that hit the chalk. A ground ball off the bat of Matt Stairs skipped off of A-Rod‘s glove for an RBI single, and Yankee fans groaned. Little did they know it would be the only run the Phillies would plate all night.

On the other side, Pedro Martinez kept the Yankees guessing early and then late into the night. Yet, his six innings of six-hit, two-run ball wasn’t enough. Despite the eight strike outs, it wasn’t enough. With chants of “Who’s Your Daddy?” coming out from Yankee Stadium’s every nook, the Yanks used two solo home runs and a late rally to top Pedro. “I did everything I could to beat those guys,” he said.

The Yanks got on the board in the fourth when Mark Teixeira lifted an 83-mph change-up into the Yankee bullpen. It was Teixeira’s first World Series hit and his first home run since the end of Game 2 ALDS. “It was a 1-0 count, and I saw a pitch up in the zone, and I just let it fly,” he said.

Two innings later, Hideki Matsui went golfing and found a pitch he could drive. This one went 320 feet into the right field bleachers, and the Yanks had their first World Series lead since the first inning of Game 5 of the 2003 World Series.

In the 7th, umpire controversy struck. With Pedro still in the game, Jerry Hairston lined a single into right, and Melky Cabrera blooped one in front of Jayson Werth. Pinch hitter Jorge Posada singled home pinch runner Brett Gardner, and the Yanks were primed for more. But Derek Jeter, bunting on his own, struck out when his two-strike effort rolled foul, and then Johnny Damon hit a sinker liner toward first. Ryan Howard fielded the ball and threw to second, seemingly for a double play attempt, but the umpires ruled it an out in the air. Posada was doubled off the threat ended. Replays seemed to show that Howard short-hopped the ball, and the Yanks wuz robbed.

With the Yanks clinging to a two-run lead, Joe Girardi handed the ball over to Mariano Rivera for a two-inning save. He got Carlos Ruiz out but then ran into trouble as Jimmy Rollins walked and Shane Victorino singled. Chase Utley, though, bounced a 3-2 pitch to Robinson Cano. Brian Gorman called Utley out on the relay throw, and even though replays showed Utley safe, the Yanks were out of the inning.

In the 9th, Mariano allowed a two-out double to Raul Ibañez but Matt Stairs struck out. The Yanks nailed down a World Series win, and it felt good. “It was just business as usual,” Girardi said, later adding, I think it was extremely important [to even the series]. We’ve playing a very good baseball team, and you don’t want to spot them two runs when it’s a best of seven.”

The Yanks and Phillies head to Philadelphia tied. Andy Pettitte will face Cole Hamels on Saturday night, and we’ve got ourselves a World Series.

Above: An emphatic A.J. pumps his fist in the 7th inning. (Photo courtesy of Yahoo! Sports)

Categories : Game Stories

1. Ghost of Scott Brosius says:

Imagine if this had been number 2 starter chien-ming wang tonight.

2. Free Mike Vick says:

Look what we found….

GOOD AJ!!!

YAY!!

3. ledavidisrael says:

AJ you my boy!

4. Jamie says:

Rick “the wild thing” Vaughn showed up tonight.

5. IvanS says:

I’m liking the battery of AJ and Molina a lot. If that’s what it takes for him to have an outing like tonight instead of giving up 4+ runs over 5 innings, I’ll take it. I think that’s more valuable than Posada’s offensive edge over Molina. Does that make AJ kind of a headcase? If you wish, but his talent really showed tonight.

Keep in mind that his last outing was pretty good from innings 2-6 once he got the feel for his curveball. The Angels sensed he didn’t have any control on his curve immediately and sat fastball that first inning. He somehow found it starting with batter 5 (or 6) and was a different pitcher thereafter. Put the blame at the end of his outing on Girardi. AJ had done his job and had been sitting for too long when the Yankees scored their 6.

6. Esteban says:

A scholar, AJ is not.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

They exist in Arkansas?

• TheLastClown says:

Not more than two presidents ago, remember? I guess politicians aren’t scholars, technically, but still…

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Exist as in present-tense, not “existed.” But yeah, Clinton does have that library (which is beautiful), and he was a Rhodes Scholar and Yale Law alum. So, okay, I’d say you got me there, TheLastClown.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN (as soon as the grits are gone and the NASCAR race is over)!!!!

7. steve (different one) says:

the key to the game was AJ, closing in on 100 pitches, coming back out and handling the 7th with ease.

had AJ been a little less efficient, the yankees would have had to go with their suddenly shaky as hell set-up crew and a 1 run lead.

AJ and Mo took care of that, and maybe they can turn game 3 into a laugher and get Hughes back out there without any pressure so he can straighten himself out.

8. DSFC says:

There was only one ball hit hard off AJ all night – Ruiz’s double. Other than that, he smothered them

So does Swish make it back into the lineup for Game 3? Or Hairston? Gardner?

9. Drew says:

Lol… Andy Pettitte vs Hamels?

Most importantly, AJ was the shit tonight. As much as I hate Beckett, he had that Beckett 2 seamer that cuts the corner inside to lefties.

Man, we needed him today and he showed up and out pitched the opposing pitcher, you know, what’s his name..

Really though, Pedro pitched well, I can;t take it from him. I think it may have made it sweeter than if we had blown them out.

AP comin for that shit in Philly.

“You ain’t ever too old to get dirty”
    /AJ on AP’d

10. ansky says:

AJ was awesome! Pedro’s postgame blazer was NOT.

11. pat says:

I feel embarrassed because I thought the World Series was over when we lost last night, damn

12. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Most awkward pairing ever: Michael Kay and Smokey Robinson.

13. Salty Buggah says:

For anyone worried about Alex, no need to be. He just needs to be a bit more patient/disciplined and not get pull-happy. I have a feeling that he will contribute positively in Game 3.

14. UWS says:

Just back from the game and happy to report the “Who’s Your Daddy?” chants were fabulous. Also fabulous: AJ.

15. moonimus says:

You might want to fix that it was Gardner who pinch ran for Hairston that went to 3rd and scored on Posada’s pinch hit single. Great game tonight. Who’s Your Daddy chants were beautiful.

16. Ivan says:

AJ Burnett was sensational tonight. It’s game like this where you say to yourself, what if he can pitch like that on consistent basis. The dude was nasty, just filthy. He threw some of the best Curveballs I,ve seen in a while.

Overall Yankees win, 8 down 3 to go. GO YANKEES!!!

17. Salty Buggah says:

I was very disgusted by the slight boos A-Rod got tonight. Unacceptable.

• TheLastClown says:

Jerks’ll be jerks. Some people I guess didn’t watch A-Rod single handedly save two games this postseason and contribute to all the rest in the DS & CS.

The rest of this O had to get going, and I think they’re going to get on Hamels more than Pedro, and Blanton more than Hamels.

Yanks 3-1 by the time we see Lee again, unless he starts game 4.

• Drew says:

Eh. The haters gonna hate. Don’t expect them to be rational.

• Kiko Jones says:

Yeah, the knuckleheads aren’t going anywhere…especially the haters who predicted Pedro dominating tonight and later could not admit their boy was out-pitched. All they could talk about was A-Rod. Let them all eat a big fat turd.

• no.27 says:

I was at the game, and some idiot behind me wouldn’t shut up about how much A-Rod sucks. All he was doing was bitching and moaning the whole game about how Pedro is a pitcher and Burnett is just a thrower and “A-Rod sucks, I don’t care what anyone tells me.” He even got on Mariano. The worst part is that he had kids with him that are going to grow up to be just as dumb as their dad.

18. Loved AJ warming up tonight to Marilyn Manson’s ‘Beautiful People’…crazy scene.

19. Drew says:

I ain’t gonna lie, I still get mad when people say “good A.J.” Or when they say “bad Melky.”
    Look, if these guys played at their best for a 7 month period they would be some of the better players in the game.

I understand why you say it, but it rubs me the wrong way. Some guys deviate from their mean more so than others. AJ, Melk, Swish and those like them fall into that category. Sometimes we’d prefer the consistent guy but then when the inconsistent guy(Swish, Melk, AJ) gets hot, we love em.

I dunno, I’m probably just bullshitting late at night but I always get mad when I see “Bad Melky, AJ, etc…”

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Melky at his best would not be one of the better players in the game, A.J. would. I totally understand what you mean, but it’s also that those two listed in particular go through long stretches of great and terrible. You’re not going to see Melky bat around .260-.280 from month-to-month. You’ll see .208 then .316 then .299 then .187 then .225 then .286. He’ll end up somewhere in the .270s or so, but that’s why he gets the monicker of “bad Melky” or “good Melky.” There is a reason for it. Burnett similarly goes on great stretches where he is lights out, and bad stretches where he’s God-awful. He’s not like Andy, where you can pretty much expect 6-7 IP and 2-4 earned EVERY start.

• Drew says:

JMK my brother.. Anytime Melky gets a hit, it’s good Melky. Anytime he k’s on a high fastball, or a low breaking ball, RAB nation says bad melky.

Melky at his best.
        April: 327/400/571
        July: 289/372/442

Yeah, I shouldn’t have said best in the game talking about Melk. I should have said, at his best, he is a really good CFer. If he played at his best for a whole season, he’d be a top notch CFer. That’s kind of what I meant.

• Drew says:

As for AJ though, at his best he a fuckin monster.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

It’s a fickle place, no doubt. I think Melky catches flack unnecessarily. And the numbers I put above are not the real numbers (too tired to BR it), just an illustration of how drastic the splits are.

The reason I feel Melky gets so much heat is because people get their hopes up after seeing Melky hit 327/400/571 and think, “Finally, Melky is putting it together. He might really break out,” and then, well, we see the .200/294/319 for a few months before he rebounds a bit and then drops again.

He’s also really frustrating to watch because you look at him swinging at low-flying planes and balls that bounce ten feet in front of the plate. Also, he came up when he was really young and he held is own for the most part. I think a lot of us just thought they’d see a lot more improvement as he aged. He really hasn’t improved that much.

• Drew says:

Fair enough. But as a 25 year old entering next year, he sure as hell has a leg up on the competition.

• Mac says:

Following Bernie didn’t help Melk either, eventhough we saw what Lofton and Womack were like in pinstripes.

I personally chuckle everytime I see Melk’s good performances minimized or overlooked entirely – i.e. “bloop single in front of Werth” – it was better than a bloop and incredibly important or no one mentioning him running down Rollins blast in LCF in game one or criticizing him for his throw that Jete\Tex nailed Abreu on.

GGBG didn’t get to Ibanez’s drive off Mo last night in LCF and he K’d with 2 guys on – Girardi and Co. realize what Melk is – a decent player who is slightly above average in all aspects of the game, and he’s done well for the Yanks this year.

• Salty Buggah says:

Well, we saw good Melky in the 7th today…

• Esteban says:

I get you, but I think Burnett is more inconsistent than a lot of pitchers. When he has good command he’s unhittable; when he has bad command he’s awful. There’s not much of an in between for him

20. mustang says:

AJ proved me and I love him for it.

Bottom-line:

1-Yankees starters need to get to Mo and the 8th with the lead.
    Especially Andy on Saturday because I’m not worry about CC on Sunday.

2- YANKEES NEED TO GET TO THAT BULLPEN-
    Chan Ho Park = Batting practice

21. MattG says:

If not for the fact that a couple of Angels hit a couple of pitches that were actually on the corners, AJ would be enjoying a pretty decent run of success. He’s been more good AJ than not, and I bet he has one more in him.

• JGS says:

I can’t believe Manuel isn’t throwing Lee out there against CC again.

say the Yankees win game 3–you’re trusting Joe Blanton to outpitch CC when a loss means a 3-1 deficit? I don’t think so

• mustang says:

“Game 3 is critical. I really like CC vs Blanton/Happ in game 4, so if the Yankees can win on Saturday, I toss Chad Gaudin to the lions in game 5 (with Lee on the mound), and at worst face off in game 6 with Burnett vs Pedro, with Pettitte to bridge the gap to Mo, and the disaster plan of CC in a game 7.
      To put it in other words, I don’t see Philadelphia winning the series without game 3.”

So Agree you nail it.

• Bo says:

If he wanted to bring Lee back on short rest he could have. But he left the guy in for 120+ in a blowout and screwed himself.

Now hes got to hope to split the next 2 and have Lee in Game 5 must win..

22. Salty Buggah says:

Those Philly.com writers are some of the worst and stupidest.

One says Phil “Phils beat themselves, not Yanks.” The top of their page says in bold and caps “THINKS UTLEY WAS SAFE IN THE EIGHTH”

Before, one of them argued that Rollins=Jeter and Posada=Ruiz in their matchup breakdown.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

It’s late and I’m tired, so I’m going to go point-by-point.

We won in a pitcher’s dual. Utley was safe. Bad call (though we had a few similarly egregious calls go against us).

Rollins does not equal Jeter. That’s absurd. Ruiz is not as good as Posada, but he’s been great this post-season. I don’t agree with the breakdown, but the argument is somewhat defensible.

• Zack says:

Utley was safe. So was Posada at 2nd on the non-line drive, so both teams got screwed.

• Mike bk says:

not just posada…it would have been bases loaded 1 out for teix. to think we wouldnt have tacked on at least 1 more for utley to not matter is wishful thinking.

• Mike bk says:

also utley was probably make up for knowing he screwed the pooch the 1/2 inning before on the liner.

• Salty Buggah says:

Yea. I think you could say we got screwed more as we would have bases-loaded 1 out with Tex up and they would have 1st and 3rd 2 outs with Howard up but Mo pitching.

• TheLastClown says:

You won’t read this probably, but it was a dual pitchers’ Duel.

You ant lover.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Poor apostrophe placement is embarrassing. And for the record, I don’t love ants (though I don’t despise them either, unless they’re the ones in Africa that destroy entire villages in warp speed), I’m just fearful of eating anything that can wipe out millions of durable, highly organized creatures in 48 hours.

• kayp09 says:

I dont know if anyone saw this but Shane victorino slid atleast 2+ feets off the second bag to take out Jeter. I thought that was an automatic double play out. Even Buck Showalter said it on espn post game.

• MattG says:

I lived in NY for 32 years, and just outside Philly the last 8: the inferiority complex in this town is palpable. Every news broadcast or tabloid leads with the Phillies. There is absolutely nothing else that better defines my hapless, hopeless neighbors.

Then, add to it the fact that this is a football town, and its unbearable, I tell you. Around here, they actually think the Phillies can out hustle, out work, and out heart the Yankees. They think Manuel will call the all-out blitz!

• Salty Buggah says:

Here’s another stupid article dissing the Yanks fans and New York itself.

23. ICE MAN says:

Good Job AJ

Two bomb where drop! Now we will bring the bombs in Philadelphia!!!!A-rod need to bring his A-Bombs!

24. Josh says:

Great game but the Yanks! Praise Mo, the series is tied! But the reason I’m writing is, I’m hoping someone else might’ve noticed that last pitch that Mo threw to Matt Stairs for the strike out.
    Was it just me or was that something other than a cutter? I didnt get to see a replay but I have to know. It started in and then just dropped right out of the zone. A Hard Slider maybe? Curve? I’ve heard that Mo toys with other pitches but, would he throw one in that spot? Maybe I was just so pumped about the win that I thought I saw something I didnt. Anyways, GREAT win for A.J. and the rest of the yanks!

Yanks in 6!

25. ICEMAN says:

Tex message : Godzilla is Pedro’s Daddy!

26. Mike bk says:

any chance hideki takes some flyballs tomorrow and gets a start in lf? j/k, but if it was possible it would be nice to not lose his bat for most of the 3 games.

• Al from BX says:

Matsui has been swinging the bat well these past 2 games and Damon has been in a coldspell, I am not to sure if we should him play already in LF with those knees of his. But we need his bat.

• RKelly39 says:

I don’t think they’ll do it but boy does it hurt to take out his bat.

• Drew says:

Does it though? I know we’d rather have our DH but with all things even,
          Jete
          JD
          Teix
          Al
          Jorge
          Robbie
          Swish
          Melk
          P
          We’re still better than them. One good catch by Swish and one decent hit makes up for some Godzilla production. Hell, one big JD or Teix hit makes up for anything. And that’s real.

• mustang says:

“One good catch by Swish and one decent hit makes up for some Godzilla production”

I think there is better chance of Matsui doing something positive offensively then something negative defensively.
            Thus Matsui’s bat + bad defends is greater than a Swish’s slumping + little below average defender (according to his UZR this year)

27. Kiko Jones says:

Btw, the Phillies lost this game on the anniversary of their clinching the World Series last year. Hmm…

28. Mike Nitabach says:

My wife and I watched the last three innnings of today’s game at the Hideki Matsui Baseball Museum in Nomi, Japan!!

• TheLastClown says:

This is very cool.

I love the Japanese. Combination of high enthusiasm & high respect.

In almost everything, definitely baseball.

• Mike Nitabach says:

Everywhere I go wearing my Yankees jacket, people come up to me to tell me how much they love Matsui and the Yankees. I have seen many Japanese people wearing Yankees gear. Unfortunately, also a bunch wearing Red Sox crap!

• larryf says:

I’d like to hear Booby V call Matsui’s homer in Japanese. That would be fun to listen to! Or Sterling’s call translated into Japanese. :-)

• vermontster says:

jesus! i sat on my couch.

• MatyRuggz says:

We think of Matsui as just one of the Yanks, but we forget that in Japan he was like their Hank Aaron or Joe DiMaggio. Japanese baseball royalty.

29. Daniel says:

Just wanted to share a moment from Foleys Pub.

http://i37.tinypic.com/k4vypg.jpg (ws)

I love this effing team. #27 here we come.

30. Jake H says:

AJ was a beast. I think what we need is to chat every game. That’s why we won.

31. donttradecano says:

Howard, asked directly if he had caught the ball, just smiled. “Well, he called him out,” he said with a smile.

If they could huddle and get the call right in game 1, why not in game 2?

32. Tampa Yankee says:

That was a beautiful performance by AJ, well done sir! That performance was definitely needed.

Pedro may not have that dominating fastball anymore but he still has a ton of movement on his pitches.

33. Bo says:

Girardi better find someone he can trust besides a guy named MO. And he better find him quick. Cant be doing 6 out saves every game.

34. Raf says:

AJ’s fastball was ridiculous tonight. even when he took velocity off to get it over for a strike it was moving like crazy. curve was awesome too. had it working backdoor on the lefties. great job by him in a big spot when the team needed it.

i wonder what team is going to take the Pedro bait next year. hes shown that he can still pitch fairly well in the NL but i wonder if he’ll hold up over a whole season.

35. Tank Foster says:

I was there – section 310 – and I guess now I can say I saw the first ever Yankee World Series win in YS3. AJ was masterful, but I gotta admit it was impressive watching Yankee batters off balance all night with Pedro. Seemed like they were hitting him hard, but that more walks could have been had if they were more patient. The seventh inning play amazed everyone.

36. Mike HC says:

Loved watching that game last night. Can’t wait for the Yanks to get back on the field!

37. Tank Foster says:

It would be nice for the Yankees to get some help from an opposing pitcher. Pitching is so good in the playoffs generally, but if Hamels would implode it would be sooooooo nice. I wonder if Manuel still starts Blanton in game 4 if the Yankees win game 3.

38. Rose says:

This just continues the trend that I’ve been talking about since the beginning of the playoffs.

We got dominant pitching…and we won the game with little offense. On Wednesday, we had VERY GOOD pitching…and lost (just like the Pettitte Game 3 in LA).

I understand that we’re facing “the best” pitchers out there in the playoffs…but as a dominant offensive juggernaut…you’d think we’d be at least be hitting somewhat. For the World Series, Jeter and Matsui are batting over .500 and the rest of the team is either batting under .200…or is hitless. I understand Pedro “reinvented himself” but how many times can you credit the other teams pitchers? Especially when we’re noticing guys like Swisher looking lost at the plate and such. Arod doesn’t look so good right now. He’s had quite a few meatball pitches right down the middle of the plate that he’s fouled back instead of crushing. Perhaps where he was relaxed before…the Big Stage is making him buckle a bit. 0-8 with 6 K’s…it’s the first time in World Series history that ANY PLAYER has ever struck out 3+ times in the first two games of the series. In 105 World Series played??? After hitting .450 or whatever in the ALDS and ALCS combined??? Somethings wrong.

We need to start hitting…the cliche “pitching wins games” works…but when the other team is capable of pitching better…you better have some offense too…and lately we haven’t really had much of anything. I don’t think we’ve hit a home run with runners on base since Arod’s game tying 2 run shot off Joe Nathan that seems like a century ago.

Yes, we’re winning…but unless we pitch dominant games…we lose. And you can’t always count on dominant games…especially with the Phillies going back home.

39. Jay says:

Of course I’m reading around the news this morning and aside from the talk about AJ is the talk about A-Rod and how if he doesn’t get out of this “funk” he’s in, the Yankees are in trouble. Of course, Ryan Howard who was an ALCS monster like A-Rod has struck out 6 times (including 4 K’s last night) so far, and there’s no talk of him being a “funk” or how the Phillies are in trouble if he doesn’t pick it up.

Yes, A-Rod’s been off balance (of course, every frigging guy in the lineup was off balance in game one against “CLIFF LEE!” – writing it like Joe Buck says it) but give me a break. Lee dominated everybody except for Jeter in game 1. Having a bad night the following night does not constitute a “funk.”

I really hate sports writers sometimes.

• Rose says:

Everybody is in a funk. Arod was the only one carrying us. Now he’s in a funk too. Jeter and Matsui are batting over .500 and the rest of the team is .200 or less in this series so far. Cliff Lee, ok…I guess it’s understandable…but Pedro had a 5.66 ERA on the Road…and the Yankees had great numbers against hit to boot. And he threw a gem.

We won the game because of the dominant pitching. If we don’t pitch dominant games…we lose…because we can’t hit. That’s just how it’s been in the playoffs so far.

40. dexcente says:

Two things struck me in the coverage in today’s Times:

1. Regarding the blown call on Damon’s ball that led to the double play:

“We looked at the replay and it looks like a catch,” said the crew chief Gerry Davis, who was the right-field umpire for Game 2.

I understand not wanting to admit when you’re wrong, especially when you’ve been wrong so many times, but doesn’t coming out and essentially saying that your whole crew is incapable of differentiating between a catch and a trapped ball even on a slow-motion replay sort of throw into question your basic ability to do your job? Doesn’t this make them look worse?

2. Martinez on his smirk on the way to the dugout:

Actually, Martinez said he was reprimanding a fan, sitting in the front row with his young daughter, who was saying “all kinds of nasty things” to him. “I had to stop and tell him because I’m a father myself,” Martinez said. “God, how can you be so dumb to do those kind of things in front of your child. What kind of example are you setting?”

Great story, fits into the Yankee-fans-as-uncouth-savages narrative, but this didn’t actually happen, did it? The cameras followed Martinez from the mound to the dugout and he never opened his mouth. Did he reprimand the guy with mental telepathy?

41. Ace says:

Where has A-Rod gone? From Verducci’s article (http://tinyurl.com/yjqg3x3)

Only one other player ever had back-to-back three-strikeout games in World Series history: Jim Lonborg. A pitcher. In 1967. It’s not the kind of World Series history Rodriguez had in mind. He waited his whole career to get to the World Series, and when he got here, he immediately became the first hitter, other than a pitcher with a .136 career average, to whiff three times in two straight World Series games.

• Pasqua says:

So what? Shit happens. We’re not IN this series if A-Rod doesn’t do what he did in the nine games leading to it. There are plenty of people who will be ready to pile on him if the Yanks lose and he continues to struggle. Me? I’m still grateful for what he’s done to help the team get here.

42. Pasqua says:

“The funnest I’ve ever had on a baseball field” -Yankees ’09

vs.

“Why can’t us?” -Phillies ’08

Who wins?

43. [...] He threw his best game as a Yankee in the most important start of his career, helping the Bombers tie the series at one. Three runs was enough, but the Yanks could have built up a bit more of a lead had it not been for [...]

44. [...] October 29th, 2009: World Series Game Two (box) (video) (RAB recap) [...]