Oct

Montero, Romine ranked the two best catchers in the FSL

Continuing on with their league top 20′s, Baseball America named Jesus Montero and Austin Romine the second and tenth best prospects, respectively, in the High-A Florida State League. Montero was behind only Mike Stanton of the Marlins, and the pair were the only two catchers to appear on the list. In the subscriber only scouting report, Montero was called “the toughest out in the league,” while Romine was noted as having very few weaknesses in his game.

The Eastern League comes out on Friday, so Montero might be making an encore appearance.

Categories : Asides, Minors

1. Accent Shallow says:

Jesus has a chance to be a top 5 prospect in two separate leagues? Next level.

2. Romine was noted as having very few weaknesses in his game.

Just like the 2009 New York Yankees.

3. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

I read elsewhere that Dellin actually had both Tommy John surgery AND the ligament stabilization surgery. He now has 2 ulnar ligaments in his elbow.

4. The only thing I’d like to see out of Romine next year is an increase in walk rate.

5. ds says:

It’s good to hear Montero and (especially) Romine are doing well. Lets hope they continue. If they do, maybe we can say goodbye to our everyday catcher. I won’t miss his “style”, attitude and selfish self-centered ego. I’m tired of his me before the team attitude, and his childish personality. We all know his defense is sub-par; his offense also is over-rated when you drill down into his stats.

6. Russell NY says:

I wonder if the timing of this post had to do with Posada’s play yesterday lol

7. Hello says:

If you are having a bad day and want to feel better about your intelligence or you just want a good laugh check out Kruk’s new article on the Red Sox-Angels series. Some journalistic genius in there.

8. Christos says:

I know Mike Stanton, and no offense to him, but Montero is the better prospect due to the fact that Stanton strikes out a REDICULOUS rates. I’m going down to Jacksonville next spring again and i will personally count how many times he strikes out. Great guy, but still super raw.

9. mryankee says:

I dont understand all the talk about moving Montero to left field. isn’t left field in Yankee Stadium harder than right field? If you move to the outfield I woul think right field would make more sense.

I dont care if Montero throws out a ton of guys I would prefer him call a good game, block balls in the dirt. Not many catchers are Pudge Rodriguez or Joe Mauer. I am sure he will produce a lot more runs that he allows.

10. Christos says:

Also, i know Lucas May (quoted in SI in Mariano issue on being world champion with team USA) the absolute nicest guy you will ever meet.

11. Mike bk says:

what are the chances that Montero is higher than Stanton in the AA list because Montero’s numbers didnt decline while Stanton’s numbers other than just HR’s dropped pretty significantly when he moved up?

12. Christos says:

See you guys at the live chat!

13. [...] ranking as the second best prospect in the High-A Florida State League, Jesus Montero followed that up by placing fifth in the Double-A Eastern League, according to [...]