Oct

Open Thread: LAnaheim’s weakness

We plan on doing a more in-depth analysis of the ALCS matchup in the coming days, but iYankees provides us a little info to whet our appetites…

In ‘09, the Angel bullpen has sported a 4.27 FIP, which is actually better than the Yankees’ mark of 4.33. However, looking beyond FIP, there are some discernible flaws nesting within the LA ‘pen. For instance, while the NY relief corps has walked 3.46 batters per 9 — the second lowest BB/9 in the AL — LA’s relievers have walked 3.85 per 9, the 5th highest in the league. In addition, the Angels’ bullpen has put up relatively weak strikeout numbers when compared to the rest of the AL. With a K/9 of 7.41 — the 6th lowest in the league — the Angel bullpen isn’t as imposing when compared to previous years (the Yankees 8.44 K/9 is the best in the AL).

The bullpen is just one difference between these two clubs, one the Yankees will hopefully exploit when the series starts in four friggin’ days.

Anyway, here’s your open thread for the night. We already have another thread going for NLDS Game Four, so chat about that game there. The Rangers and Devils are both in action tonight, but something tells me the main topic of conversation tonight will be the Jets and Dolphins in Monday Night Football. There’s also a new House, but c’mon, the Jets are on MNF. Anything goes, just follow the guidelines and be cool to each other.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Between baseball, House and the Jets it’s like a TV orgy. /Kay’d. Only not really.

2. The Artist says:

Jason Werth is fucking werth-less.

3. Michael Del Zotto says:

Ima fuckinnn beasttt!

4. For your enjoyment – Drew Magary holding down the Boston-hating fort:

(If Whitey’s lurking around here, sorry man… No more schadenfreude comments from me. For a little while, anyway.)

5. JobaWockeeZ says:

In a sense, what the Red Sox of 2003 to 2007 accomplished was even more impressive than the Joe Torre Yankees dynasty of 1996 to 2001, for while the Yankees were truly dominant, the Red Sox seemed only to reach their zenith when faced with permanent extinction.

Nope ESPN Boston I’d take the 4 championships ove rthe 2 Boston has…

6. Todd Helton = HOF, right?

7. Ed says:

That says to me that there isn’t much difference between a good bullpen and a bad bullpen. If the series goes 7 games, and the bullpen pitches 3 innings in every game, the Angels pen will walk one more batter than the Yankees pen. That’s with rounding up.

Same conditions as before, and you get a little under 2.5 extra K’s. More significant, but doesn’t scream exploitable to me.

8. Rockies fans are even worse than Kay at reading a ball off the bat.

9. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Why else do you play baseball?

10. JGS says:

there was a drive by shooting about 200 feet from my building a little bit before 4 PM on Friday.

holy shit

11. Mike Pop says:

Roctober!

12. The Artist says:

I hate to say it, but LoHud is just another Yankee blog (albeit a good one) without PA there. He drove us all nuts with his analysis and bad jokes at times, but maybe that was part of the attraction.

In any case, it’s not nearly what it used to be, and I was rooting for Chad.

• Dude, it’s been what, a week? It’ll take some time for him to get settled in there and make the blog his, it’s a little early to be judging.

• The Artist says:

You’re right, and I will keep checking back. But I’m trying to read it and I find myself going blank halfway through a paragraph. I just don’t give a shit about what they’re writing, and its one of the best times of the year to be reporting Yankee news. Love him or hate him, I never felt that way about PA.

One thing I really don’t like is the multiple writers. It makes it more of newspaper feel, a bunch of columnists contributing different stories. LoHud was about PA and his opinions, stuff that wouldn’t be appropriate in a news column but was interesting nonetheless. It was an exceedingly ‘news-y’ blog, with live updates and behind the scenes tidbits. Now, it just seems like the same news you get a zillion other places.

• I hear you. Keep in mind, though, that today is day one of four straight off-days. CJ hasn’t yet had a regular stretch where he could write game-recaps and be in the clubhouse getting interesting info daily, he started and was handed off-days galore. PA hit his stride and was most effective, to me, during the regular season when he could offer a glimpse behind the scenes on a daily basis. It’s going to take a little time for CJ to get into a groove and have the opportunity to provide that kind of info.

• Yeah, that.

I find myself checking a little less, but to be honest, I was checking LoHud a little less than normal by the end of the season.

• The Artist says:

Here, I think this sums up my feelings better than my first few stabs at it. It about two posts down right now.

• I hear you… And this is a matter of opinion, after all, it’s not like there’s a right answer here… But I do hear you, CJ definitely hasn’t made the blog reflect his personality yet and made it interesting. I just think it’s asking too much to expect that process to have happened already. If it’s going to happen, it probably won’t really happen until the middle or end of next season. The guy is stepping into big shoes, during the playoffs. I think you have to give him a lot of time to get his feet on the ground and make the blog his own, it’s not going to happen in his first month on the job (and especially when his first month is during the playoffs, with lots of off days and 2 other guys contributing to the blog as well). So, we’ll see, hopefully he settles in at some point and put some personal touches on the blog.

• Riddering says:

Chad and Joba need to be sent down immediately!

• Joey says:

I’ll admit it’s not the same even though I can’t stand Pete, but I’m definitely willing to give Chad a chance to catch his breath and get used to everything. Start off next season and see how it goes from there with the information and access he should provide

• The Artist says:

It doesn’t have to be the same, it just has to be good and/or interesting. But it isn’t.

Best way to describe it is it went from reading about an opinionated sports fan with unfettered access, to being a small town newspaper with writers who are nice enough guys, but don’t want to step on anyone’s toes.

• Joey says:

I see what you’re saying, I guess I’ll just wait a little bit for him to get settled in, then maybe we’ll get the access we want along with some opinions. The opinions, however, will never be the same as Pete, which I’ll personally enjoy

• vin says:

I agree with your second paragraph. And to reference your earlier post about multiple writers:

I believe the intent is to have Chad take over full-time, right? I think Sam and Josh are there to ease the transition and give extra insight during the playoffs.

I totally agree with the sentiment that it was Pete’s blog and his insight and access was what made it so unique and interesting.

• Drew says:

I honestly like it better. Of course, I only go there for some daily updates.

• vin says:

I’m holding off judgement until the offseason. That’s when Chad will have to do his best work. He’ll need to feed the beast, and keep attracting people on days when the hot stove is cold.

Right now, Chad Sam and Josh can ride the postseason excitement. A lot of those posts will write themselves and most of the readers will have their postseason blinders on. If the team wins, the blog will do well. If (Mo forbid) they fail, then the blog will be tougher to maintain.

Also, I feel that Pete was opinionated enough that he could he never came off sounding like a shill. He would pick on guys that sometimes deserved it (Alex), point out hypocrisies (Andy vs. other PED users), yet he would still give the readers all the info that was available. I always felt he did a good job of toeing the line between objective journalism, and attention getter. I’m sure there are a ton of people who would disagree, but after following LoHud for 3 years, I feel pretty content in my opinion.

• The Artist says:

As a LoHud reader, I’m sure you noticed the difference between his formal Joural News pieces and the stuff he’d post on his blog.

And that was the whole point of it, to give opinion and behind the scenes stuff that would seem unprofessional in a formal newspaper piece. But in a blog, it was great stuff.

• Marcus says:

I agree, although I’m willing to give them some more time. I think PA had some personality, regardless of the validity of his analysis (which I agree, drove me nuts). Sam Borden is your garden variety sportswriter, without much that stands out, so I don’t have much hope for him. Chad is just getting his feet wet and he did such a good job at SWB that he could definitely improve after getting used to the situation. I mean, my Mo, he’s starting a job as beat writer for the yankees in the playoffs??? No time to adjust.

13. Mike Pop says:

Ubaldo is really a joy to watch.

14. Drew says:

Who else is thrilled that this weekend we won’t have to hear, “GEORGE IS HAVING A PARTY!!?” I never thought I’d look forward to watching FOX.

15. Dave says:

What a save by Lundqvist.

16. Tank Foster says:

The Yankees have the sort of offense where it does not matter who is pitching, it is nearly impossible to hold them under 3 runs, and games where they see average pitching they’re going to score 5 or 6. Anaheim can beat them, but they will have to get extremely good pitching and will have to get some breaks offensively. The article on the Red Sox is sort of melodramatic. The author over does the “decline” of the team this season; the Red Sox are probably the second best team in baseball this year. He also over states the quality of their championship teams. Two WS wins in 4 years, one as a wild card…they were a very good team, but not ‘great’ in my book.

• Ferb says:

Personally, I believe they were only a good championship team that benefited greatly from two choke jobs and two immensely inferior NL pennant winners in their 2 W.S. runs. The H. Byrant article on NESPN Bawsthon continues to prove how obsessed and biased they are when dealing with their beloved Roid Sux.

17. Matt says:

J! E! T! S! JETS JETS JETS

18. vin says:

Was anyone else getting nauseous during the STL-LAD game in St. Louis? That dead-centerfield camera completely threw me off. I found it disorienting. I’m sure I’ll get used to it eventually.

It still beats watching an old game with the camera behind home plate. Not sure how anyone could enjoy watching that.

I know this topic was broached here last week, the thought just popped back into mind.

19. ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?!

20. Joey says:

Oh shit… most of the ESPN analysts picked the Jets to win… we’re fucked

21. Ivan says:

So who’s the best team in football rite now?

To be honest, I really don’t know.

22. The MNF theme, performed by Miami Sound Machine? Way to stay relevant, MNF.

23. Mike Pop says:

Fasano, woot woot!

24. I don’t see how the Rockies’ season “might” be on the line in this situation. Isn’t it definitely on the line?

And Feliz fail.

25. Holy fuck Jets, you look awful.

26. Mike Pop says:

These umps man.

27. Dexter Fowler is a man. That was awesome.

28. Ben Francisco is unimpressed by Troy Tulowitzki.

29. Mike Pop says:

The Giambino ties the game!?!?!?!?

30. Yankeefan91 Arod fan says:

Giambinoo

31. I want the Phillies to win…but it was Giambi who got the game tying hit, so I can’t be too mad.

32. Nels says:

Love Giambi. Go Rox.

33. Drew says:

The Giambino!! heh, good for him.

34. Dela G says:

the giambino striking again

good to see he is alive and well

35. BRAYLON!!!!!!!!

Heh heh. BRAYLON. Is that the blackest name ever or what? HELLUVA BLACK NAME. Boys, Braylon comes uto us from the dilapidated shithole known as Cleveland. Ain’t that right, fella?

(licks chicken grease off thumbs)

36. Lanny says:

I dont think any Philly fan will be saying the bullpen doesnt mean much. It is why theres no chance that Girardi will take Joba out of there. It is why Anaheim doesnt match up.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Again with that straw man.
      Now for the billionth time people have to explain, no one said the bullpen isn’t important, however starting pitching is much more important.

37. Dela G says:

i love me some braylon edwards

38. Accent Shallow says:

I’m so glad Cliff Lee blew it — I’m still in denial about him being any good.

39. Accent Shallow says:

Hilarious shit — Phillies phans want Utley playing first, saying it’s his “natural position”.

Uhhhhh . . .

40. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Rangers wrecking the Leafs

Giants wrecked the Raiders

Yankees swept the Twins

Jets doing their thing (game obviously is in 1st Q)

Awesome Weekend for NY sports.

41. Mike Pop says:

Uh oh Street, making trouble for yourself.

42. Joey says:

Damn Sanchize, you have to be more careful

43. Mike Pop says:

Wow, I’d bring Beimel in.

44. Ferb says:

Sheesh, Huston Street doing his best PapelBum impression.

45. Mike Pop says:

It’s times like this, you appreciate having Mo Rivera.

46. Dela G says:

damn jets, can’t give them the ball back….

47. kunaldo says:

nice article on fangraphs about arod and his perceived unclutchiness in the postseason:

48. Mike Pop says:

Let’s go Gonzo

49. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Franklin, Street, Nathan, and Papelbon… 0

Rivera… 1

50. Lidge vs. Tulo for the Rockies’ season.

51. Evan says:

Lidge-Tulowitzki 2: Electric Boogaloo

52. Mike Pop says:

Come on ump.

53. Am I the only one rooting for the Phils?

54. Mike Pop says:

Damn. Wanted the Rox to win that game.

Gay.

55. Dela G says:

wow, sucks for the rockies

56. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

How ironic… The Fall Of Troy just popped up in iTunes…

57. Ivan says:

Well it’s official

Dodgers Vs. Phillies

Angels Vs. Yankees

Pretty damn good LCS’s rite there.

Plus, DLS were pretty fuckin lame.

58. Jersey says:

You guys seen this?

“The Angels are serene.”

59. Ivan says:

So who you guys got in the NLCS: Dodgers or Phillies?

60. Accent Shallow says:

All sliders that at-bat? Boo.

Well, the Yankees have to win out now, because all the other options are highly objectionable.

61. Werth made absolutely zero eye contact with Aldridge in that interview.

62. pat says:

It’s getting to the point where nobody in football makes people miss tackles more than Leon Washington.

63. Dela G says:

wow, a david clowney sighting

64. Mike Pop says:

I expected the JEts to have a larger lead.

65. Chris says:

Not surprisingly, it looks like runs are at a premium so far this postseason. There weren’t more than 7 runs scored by any team in any of the 13 1st round games and there were only 2 games with double-digit run outputs. Interesting.

66. pat says:

WOW NFL is really takin the teeth out of a secondary.

67. pat says:

Hoily Motehr of God what a catch.

68. Dela G says:

wow i just got royally screwed

so i thought braylon got the TD, which would give me a 1 point lead in fantasy

nope, TJ got the run, which my opponent has him starting, and now i am down by 7

effing A

69. Drew says:

Hey, whaddya know, Braylon Edwards hasn’t forgotten how to catch!

70. Joey says:

Jets are giving me a freakin heart attack

71. jose says:

Officials just handed the Jets the win. Terrible pass interference call.

72. Dela G says:

wow that was deflating

73. Reggie C. says:

What the hell happened to the Jets tonight. Wow…

Calvin Pace’s return was supposed to be a morale boost. The D simply collapsed.

74. cor shep says:

How the hell was Sanchez called for intentional grounding when Henne wasn’t. That’s the game right there. Bull..

75. [...] Where this series may very well be decided, though, is in the bullpen. Joe Girardi made 461 pitching changes as compared to Scioscia’s 434, and the Yankees got better results for it. Yankee relievers did not allow runs to score in 301 of those appearances or 65 percent of the time. The Angels, meanwhile, did not allow runs 62 percent of the time. While that pure difference is seemingly small, the Yanks’ pen went 40-17 with a 3.91 ERA while the Angels’ relievers were 27-23 with a 4.49 ERA. As Mike noted last night, the Anaheim pen is definitely a weakness. [...]

76. I am not sure where you are getting your information, but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for excellent information I was looking for this info for my mission.