Nov

Open Thread: Scenes from a parade

2009 World Series Parade 151

You can check out of all my pictures here. Apologies in advance for the quality, between the gazillions of people pushing and leaning on me nonstop and my crappy camera, most of them aren’t great.

Joe, myself, and a few readers set up shop at the corner of Ann and Park, where we got a good view of people throwing stuff out of nearby buildings. Spike Lee was walking around taking pictures, and people were climbing on everything, at least until the cops got to them.

You couldn’t miss CC Sabathia, while Melky was stylin’ with his hat. Jorge Posada and Derek Jeter were on the same float (Posada in the back, Jeter in the front), but Mariano Rivera got his own float to fittingly close out the parade (he’s the one with the scarf). None of us managed to see A-Rod (apparently he was on Jay-Z’s float, and why the hell was Jay-Z part of the parade anyway?), Phil Hughes, David Robertson, or Joe Girardi, and I think we counted three different Nick Swishers and two different AJ Burnetts. From where we were, it was tough to tell the guys apart.

If you have any pictures of your own, feel free to link to them in the comments. Otherwise, use this thread to talk about whatever you want. It’s Friday, so go ahead and be as vicious as can be to each other.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Accent Shallow says:

It’s nice to see another team’s writers trying to drum up support for making their potential future ace a reliever. Whew.

So who went to the parade? I had been planning on going, but I got lazy. I’m torn after viewing the pictures.

2. Accent Shallow says:

On another BBTF note: apparently some Dodgers’ blog lists the top 200 (!) Dodger prospects. Mike, you’ve been slacking!

(On a serious note, that seems an insane monument to nerdiness. No team has 200 players in the MiL system worth being familiar with. Shit, I don’t know if the Yankees even have 200 players in their system.)

3. This post is going to be the death of me. Been working two days and counting, just to find out I’m doing it wrong. WHOOOOOO

4. Russell NY says:

Great pic Mike. I was standing right below that last Staples sign on the left :)

5. Danny says:

so much fun!

6. Salty Buggah says:

Haha, one of the anchors on Fox31 news here in Denver is from Boston and is an Sox fan. When talking about the Yanks parade, he took a deep breath and talked about the parade and championship in a slow, sad, almost crying voice. When he finished, he took another deeo breath and said how tough it was for him. Then the other anchor, tried to console him in a funny way. He said how he’s OK as they bought their players but she tells him how the Red Sox can and do spend a lot too. The newscast ended there but that was pretty funny to me.

7. Salty Buggah says:

FUCK YEAH!

/Still super-excited about #27

• crapula says:

After the 2007 ended miserably, we had the A-rod opt-out, the “firing” of Joe Girardi, the up in the air contracts of Mo, Po, Pettitte and the RS winning the World Series.

In 2008 we didn’t even make the playoffs.

There are other “bad times” between 2000 and 2007 and I won’t detail them all, but it was TOUGH on us Yankee fans.

So FUCK YEAH it feels good to be WORLD CHAMPS!!!

One of my favorite moments of Game 6 was the crowd, in the 8th inning, chanting TWENTY SEVEN…

Woo hoo!!!!!!

8. Andrew says:

yea just got back from this……..holy god. i was in front of st patricks cathedrel. and i needed to cross the street to get to my buddies but they wouldnt let me. anyways this was nuts i loved ittt.

also im korean and all the wonderful people everytime i passed would chant mvp, mvp, mvp……….hahahahahahaha.

9. Girardi out to the mound says:

I wanted to refrain from mentioning this for a couple days because I could not care less with the Yankees winning the World Series, but could the 9th inning the other night have been any more brutal with Buck and McCarver?

Buck and McCarver made it sound like it was the end of some meaningless Washington Nationals game or something. Usually when a team is about to win the WS the announcers get excited, but it felt like they were trying to make it boring.

The best was McCarver. Silent the entire 9th inning except for one comment that I could not help but start laughing at: “Wow, it must be tough for Victorino to be fouling off all those cutters with a severely bruised hand” (paraphrasing b/c do not remember the exact quote)

Did anyone else notice this?

10. Johnnyboy says:

I went and it was hilarious. Some guy screamed out “KATE HUDSON MVP. MOST VAULUABLE PUSSY!!!” I started dieing of laughter.

11. Salty Buggah says:

Apparently this year’s winning shares are about $400,000 (!!!!). That’s basically doubling the salaries of guys like Joba, Hughes, Coke, Gardy, and K-Rob.

See that kids/future prospects (I’m looking at you Aroldis), playing for the Yanks has the most advantages. You win a WS and get a lot of money out of it.

12. RCK says:

I am so glad I’m not the only one who missed A-Rod!! The crazy part was, I saw Francisco Cervelli! I was all, hey, look everybody, it’s Cervelli! And then when I got back to my office and tried to figure out where the hell A-Rod had been I find out he had been standing right next to Cervelli! Nuts!

I was watching from the 5th floor of an office building so with the fedora and dark glasses, it’s not as strange as I thought that I missed him, but I’m still disappointed. I saw everyone else, though and the view was awesome and throwing confetti was fun even if most of it did land on the scaffolding below us, so I’m really happy I went.

13. Salty Buggah says:

“…apparently he was on Jay-Z’s float…”

No, Jay-Z was on A-Rod’s float.

14. Salty Buggah says:

Anyone see that idiot Canseco trying to spoil the moment again? He challenged A-Rod to a fight

He’s just an idiot. Dude just needs to shut up and fade away.

• Hey Philly, Yankees ain't the Rays says:

I’d like to see CC fight Canseco. I’d never say this except I already know how Canseco fights, so there’s like 0.00% chance that CC gets hurt. It would be hilarious.

• aj says:

After seeing Canseco’s last “fight”, I’d say bring it on, hip and all. Actually, they might want to throw one of the bat boys at him.

• GG2000 says:

Ryan Howard could fight him though I’d imagine he’d swing and miss more often than not.

15. Evan says:

It was great meeting up with Joe, Mike, and everyone else and get to chat with them. I’m glad that I could say that I was there to see the champs pass by us.

16. Tex, CC, Reggie Jackson, and Feared Williams are all at the Garden right now to watch the sneak preview of the LeBron Era. MSG just showed them.

17. donttradecano says:

It was a blast out there, got in at 7am and stood by the subway station on the corner of Broadway and Maiden. My only complaint was some of the floats moved too quick, and there was a lot of time in between floats.

• “While watching the Knicks, it makes me wonder if a Knicks parade would bring in more people. Only team in the city, and NYC is a huge basketball city.”

I know some Nets fans who would disagree with your statement.

They’d be wrong and you’d be right, but they’d still disagree. And then they’d stomp their feet off to go cry silently in the corner.

18. Okay, nevermind, damn near the whole team is at the Knicks game.

Even Freddy “Holy shit, I’m the luckiest no-hit outfielder in the world!” Guzman.

19. Larry Hughes rocking the “0″ brings a smile to my face. It works on so many levels.

20. I didn’t think it was possible for Darko Milicic to look any goofier that he previously did, but he looks really goofy in Knicks white/orange/blue.

21. King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

Lebron audition w/cc endorsement?

22. I am fairly certain the Nets will go 0-82

• The only number that matters is the number of votes they get from the various approval boards and committees. If they can move to Brooklyn, they’ll matter. If they stay in Jersey, they’ll remain in the “there’s no way this team will ever build a winner, because nobody will go there and good players they draft will leave” grouping of permanent geographically-fucked NBA doormats.

That list:
      New Jersey
      Memphis
      Minnesota
      Oklahoma City (That’s right, Thunder fans, brace yourself. Durant is leaving the moment he can. LeBron Sweepstakes Pt. II.)
      Toronto
      Utah

23. Renny Baseball says:

What a great time, was glad to make my first “ticker tape” parade and see you guys! I was in NY in the late ’90s but never made the parades. Mike A, from our spot, I had some of the same observations — seemed like Swisher went by twice (the real Swish was preceded by someone on a float in pinstripe jersey wearing #33), also missed A-Rod (probably was the hat). Jay-Z was entertaining, although by the time he sang I was watching from a bar. The funniest honoree to me — in terms of “key to city” bestowal — was Hideki’s interpreter.

96 days to pitchers and catchers.

24. Randy A. says:

Anyone else read the ridiculously bitter article by Rick Reilly today? What a joke he is.

• (stops and thinks deeply for a solid minute and a half)

Yeah, I got nothing. No fucking clue at all what they were going for with that. The commercial makes no sense. I’m not sure what emotion they’re trying to draw from me or instill in me that would make me watch that 30-second spot and then want to go support or patronize the Phillies or any Phillies-related businesses.

Baffling.

• Renny Baseball says:

How about frightening and downright creepy!

In fact, I have a hard time believing that that is real. I am pretty desensitized, but could that fly with a PG audience? And even if so, I agree, how ever so in positive way?

25. Dante says:

I mentioned this on an earlier thread but I wanted to hear how everyone else felt. Venga Bus on repeat? Are you F’N kidding me? That was brutal. Also a message to Jay-Z… You CANNOT make the Yankee hat more famous than a Yankee can you pompous ass. I think Millions of people worldwide are proving that right now.

• crapula says:

I hated the Venga Bus because I kept expecting to see the little Six Flags guy go dancing across the stage.

I do love Empire State of Mind though. Great song even if Jay-Z’s hyperbole is a bit much.

He also made those subway lines famous. No one rode the J or the Z until he came along.

• Salty Buggah says:

Yea “we like to party” was a bad choice and was only worse when played in a loop. On Jay-Z, whatever. I dont mind the comments much.

I know this though, the Yanks made his song more famous than he can (though I love that song and a lot of people I know like it too)

• Look. They just wanted to warn us that the Venga Bus is, indeed, coming.

26. Dante says:

Also it’s great to finally see Jordan Hill on the court eh? I really hope he doesn’t end up like Channing Frye part 2

27. crapula says:

John-ny Da-mon

He said the “p” word: “We have the greatest revenue and the highest payroll, who wouldn’t want to play here?”

hahahahhahaha

Johnny Damon, who I don’t consider to be a Rhodes Scholar, actually matched up revenue with payroll. Which not Yankee fans can’t seem to wrap their pointed little heads around.

Go Johnny Go Go.

Thank you JD.

28. Salty Buggah says:

Haha, yesterday I saw some hilarious Sox comments on a Broncos site.

Some ideas presented in the comments:

- Buchholz for Halladay. Should have been traded for Lee (1-for-1) but Theo refused to.
    - Papelbon for King Felix
    - Sign Pujols next year or trade for Gonzalez with Bard and Bowden only
    - Buchholz for Felix
    - Trade Papi for a decent prospect(almost everyone agreed with this too)
    - Cut Lowell, move Youk to 3rd, and call up Lars Anderson
    - Cut Papi, resign Bay for whatever he wants, sign Holliday for DH
    - Cut V-Mart because he can’t throw, bat doesn’t matter as much his arm

This is just some of the many comments I read. There were more but I can’t remember them.

• - Cut Papi, resign Bay for whatever he wants, sign Holliday for DH

That’s my favorite one.

It’s one thing to drastically overrate your own prospects and underestimate how some other team would price their trade assets; that’s naive but not egregiously dumb.

But to think that Holliday would DH and Jason Bay, whom has sucked defensively his entire life, would keep playing LF? That’s horrendously retarded. You should know the players on your own team well enough to know that Bay would move to DH if you brought in a quality-fielding import RF/LF.

(Then again, Yankee fans were convinced earlier this year that Nick Swisher was a bad defensive outfielder, so maybe this isn’t as universally obvious as I’m making it. Whatevs.)

• Dante says:

Ha! Those comments sound like they’re coming directly from Peter Gammons.

• Jack says:

Cut Papi, resign Bay for whatever he wants, sign Holliday for DH

Wait, do they seriously think that Bay is the better defender?

• Salty Buggah says:

No idea but that was what the guy said. I think he also said that putting him at DH would keep him fresh for the future. I dont know if it was the same guy or someone else but someone said that.

• Jack says:

Dammit, I need to refresh more often.

On another note, do we think Pujols will even make it to free agency?

29. crapula says:

Evil Empire to World: Suck it.

30. OH SHIT THE PIRATES CUT ERIC HACKER MAYBE WE CAN GET HIM BACK NOW!!!!!

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH BABY HERE COMES TITLE #28!!!!!!!

Then again, take that report with a grain of salt: the author is a notorious goat-fucker.

31. jut1140 says:

THis is what Rick Riley said on espn.com, somebody asked for it

LAST UPDATED 11.06.09

They’re having a parade because the New York Yankees won the title? Why not throw one because a bear ate a salmon? Or a hurricane knocked over a trash can? Hey, the bully just gave the nerd a wedgie! Let’s throw a parade!

Look, the Yankees played well. But isn’t that what the Yankees are supposed to do? They paid their players almost twice as much as the Phillies team they beat — $208M to $111M. Just the Yankees starting infield made more than 15 teams this year. Throw them a parade? I don’t get it. So what? George Clooney got a girl, Paris Hilton slept in satin sheets last night and Bill Gates went to the bank. Call me when you’ve got some news.

Oh — and the next Yankees fan who looks to the heavens and sighs happily, “It’s been nine long years!” gets tied to the front of the 4 train and run into a wall. Nine years? Nine years is a cigarette break to most teams in MLB. Chicago Cubs fans are at 101 years and counting. Cleveland Indians’ fans: 62. New York/San Francisco Giants: 55. Pittsburgh Pirates: 30. Gee, nine whole years? The Boston Red Sox waited 86 years for theirs. The Chicago White Sox — 88! There are people in swine flu lines longer than nine years.

Hope your parade takes a wrong turn off a pier.

• There are people in swine flu lines longer than nine years.

Things that do not exist:

“Swine flu lines”

• Salty Buggah says:

“Chicago Cubs fans are at 101 years and counting. Cleveland Indians’ fans: 62. New York/San Francisco Giants: 55. Pittsburgh Pirates: 30. Gee, nine whole years? The Boston Red Sox waited 86 years for theirs. The Chicago White Sox — 88!”

I don’t give a fuck if other teams have/had an incapable futile brass. We got Nick Swisher (and K-Tex) for free while the Cubs spent a lot for Milton Bradley. Not our fault we have more brains, brawn, money, and bitches.

• Renny Baseball says:

The writer of that piece reeks of pettiness and is small. Does not understand team sports, nor the concept of setting high standards. Does not necessarily dignify an intellectual response especially considering how it ends — more like a distressed bitter cry for help.

• toad says:

Cub fans are at 101 years and counting? And that’s because the Yankees spend a lot of money? Give me a break.

• Riddering says:

Yeah, uh, World Series championships don’t work that way. Baseball doesn’t work that way. Teams don’t fall to the back of the line once they win one so the freaking Cubs can get a chance. (Though now the Cub have the Ricketts, things are looking up…)

And there’s not one damn thing ensures a championship title or makes it easy. Anyone who thinks so probably only watches the highlight reels instead of following the grind of an entire baseball season or decade.

• Tank Foster says:

You know, Apple computer is a great company. But I think it’s fucking unfair that they sell so many computers. I mean, with revenue like they get, and when you have the best engineers and the finest materials money can buy, what do you expect?

Why can’t they simply be more mediocre so other companies can compete?

Steve Jobs is an evil pig. I hope his pancreatic cancer eats his soul.

/allegory’d

32. Feiter says:

I decided to skip out on class today( I go to Villanova)I woke up at 5 AM to take a bus into the city and ended up right across from these pictures it was an amazing time!

33. Brooklyn Ed says:

wassup guys, here’s the pics that I took from the parade: I got the best spot even when I got there at 10:30. LOL..

(if you cant see whose who, click on the pic for description.

34. Salty Buggah says:

For the Empire State of Mind that was performed today, it was awful. Jay-Z was great but that replacement level Alicia Keys sucked ass and killed the whole song.

35. VO says:

I was right in front of the staples, Burnett actually stopped to sign a tennis ball for a kid. Phil Hughes was with Alfredo Aceves who happened to throw toliet paper back and forth with a guy standing next to me, he was also with another guy who I couldn’t really make out but it was either D-Rob or Ian Kennedy. Girardi was also on one of the first floats, as was A-Rod. I thought I saw Swisher a few times as well but he was the one and only guy with a Swish Hawk. Also while Posada was passing by he was looking the other way and I wanted to take a picture so I yelled HIP HIP, he turned over and looked in my area and started waving his hands as to say louder.

36. Riddering says:

Hands-down favorite moment of the parade was seeing Molina on the same float as A.J.

Runner-up: Cervelli’s fly suit. What a pimp.

(Is there going to be a post on Mo? Not only a bowing down worship session for his performance this postseason but also a 24/7 tracker on how his side is faring? I want CNN-like coverage, including 3-D pie charts.)

37. Glenallen Hill says:

Parade was top gun.

Funny moment. A fan lofted a roll of TP at Burnett. He caught it and faked like he was going to mow the guy over with it.

I wasn’t sure if I should wave or duck when Cervelli came rolling by.

38. Salty Buggah says:

“With Yankees fan LeBron James standing and clapping from the sideline, Rodriguez, CC Sabathia, Mark Teixeira, Robinson Cano, Melky Cabrera, Joba Chamberlain and Freddy Guzman received a standing ovation while Frank Sinatra’s “New York, New York” blared over the arena’s speakers.”

- AP

Haha, Freddy Guzman is having the time of his life right now.

39. ShuutoHeat says:

I’m a bit late but here is my favorite picture from my set so far….

hasn’t been edited or cleaned, but it’s basically CC and Tex

40. Esteban says:

The Knicks are so bad, it’s embarrassing. How will I fill my weekday nights now? The Knicks are almost unwatchable and hockey doesn’t count. Can the Yankees go play in Japan or Cuba or something?

41. Aj says:

so my guess is that jay-z and Alex are good friends. theres pictures on google with him wearing jays roc chain to pose for a picture together, thats cool i like jayz hes my faviorte rap artist what do you guys think of him being there?

42. Aj says:

Bloomberg says hes getting Jimmy Rollins a new crystal ball thats funny.

• larryf says:

Rollins stealing second down 7-3 in the late innings still amazed me. What a dumb play. ESPN classic had Yanks/Braves game 4 1996 on last night. The Leyritz hommer off Mohlers game. What struck me was taking out Mo to get to Lloyd and Wetteland. Mo’s stuff was nasty but his command wasn’t anything like it has been the last 10 years (haha)…

43. Joe R says:

Took the 6AM train from Fairfield to GCS. Took the 4 to City Hall. Got there about 8 and didnt move for about 4 hours and 30min and it was well worth it. Here are the pics I got if anyone is interested. Was at Broadway & Murray across from People With Aids Plaza (WTF?).

44. MikeD says:

—————————————————-

Don’t you mean that Jay-Z was on A-Rod’s float? It seems the players could invite family and friends on to their float, so I’m guessing A-Rod invited him. Either that, or maybe he was allowed a float since he was part of the entertainment at the end of the parade.

45. Danny says:

Here’s some of my pics. Got some really good close ups. Was on the corner of Fulton.

46. AJ Burnett's Chin Music Ensemble says:

A few pictures here from Broadway & Murray next to City Hall…my new parade spot!!!!