Nov

Pettitte could be back for 2010

Let’s hope Jon Heyman isn’t teasing us with this update. He says that Andy Pettitte has told teammates that he’d like to come back for another year. Given the old saying that you can never have enough starting pitching, the Yanks should be amicable to a reunion. That gives the Yankees some depth and flexibility, allowing them to set their starting five right away (CC, Burnett, Pettitte, Hughes, Chamberlain). They can then attempt to bring back Chien-Ming Wang, knowing that by July there will likely be a rotation opening. There were questions about bringing back Pettitte after last season, but after 2009 I think it’s a pretty easy decision. Bring back Pettitte.

Categories : Asides

1. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Hell of a scoop by Heyman.

2. Moshe Mandel says:

He sounded like he wanted one more year on Letterman. He actually said something like “I could do one more year” or something.

3. Drew says:

I was pissed at Pettitte this time last year for a myriad of reasons. After the year he had this year, I gladly eat my words.

One more year at least.

4. Muel says:

who’s pettitte?

5. Doug says:

and what base salary though? $10Mish?

• Anywhere between 8M and 14M is fine by me for a one year deal.

• Doug says:

$14M sounds like a bit much, no?

well, the fact that he was worth $15M this year according the fangraphs, maybe not

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Then 14 M sounds great.

• Drew says:

I’d guess teams like the Astros would gladly give AP a two year deal. Anytime you’re restricting someone to a one year offer you need to ramp up the compensation a bit. 14 mil is a bit high but it’s hard to say he doesn’t deserve it based on his most recent sample, the 2009 season.

• the artist formerly known as (sic) says:

I think the issue in re: the length of the contract is on Pettitte’s side. i.e. i dont think Pettitte knows if he wants to play 2 more years, and that’s why we keep going year-to-year

• Drew says:

hmmm, 10 mil with a 2 million kicker at 30 starts? That would be nice but after this year, I think he might get 11 guaranteed.

• Doug says:

what did he make this year after all the incentives? that will probably be his base this year

• Drew says:

I don’t know the exact number but I think it was between 10 and 12 mil.

• pat says:

1 year/$5.5M (2009)
            $4.5M in performance bonuses: $0.5M each for 150, 160, 170 IP; $0.75M each for 180, 190, 200, 210 IP
            $2M in roster bonuses: $0.1M for 120 days on active 25-man roster; $0.2M for 130 days; $0.25M each for 140, 150 days; $0.4M each for 160, 170, 180 days
            ——————-
            If I added right, all he missed out on was $1.5 million for not reaching 200 or 210 innings in the regular season**. 5.5 mil +3 mil +2 mil = 10.5 million

**Unless postseason innings get factored in too, which would bring the total to the full 12 million.

• no.28 says:

How would an arbitration hearing work with an incentives contract? Would they just look at it as a normal contract based on how much he was actually paid?

Also, anyone know if he’s a type A or B free agent?

I guess it probably doesn’t matter. He didn’t want to go anywhere else last year, so I don’t see why that would change this year.

6. vin says:

The Yanks had 4 starters make 30+ starts last year. They probably won’t be so lucky next year. The more SP options, the better.

7. Glenallen Hill says:

I know most disagree on here, especially that tommie a/k/a fella, but I would love to see another starting pitcher signed this offseason.

Putting the pressure on Joba and Hughes to fill the bottom of the rotation is a lot to ask.

Picking up Sheets or Harden, who are both low risk, would be a nice insurance policy in case either Hughes or Joba struggle, which they have show to do as starters.

Time for a scintillating comment from tommie.

8. Reggie C. says:

Considering the Yankees won the AL East from having Joba, Chad Gaudin, and Sergio Mitre pitching out of the rotation for stretches of 2009, there should be more confidence in Joba Year 2 + Hughes for 2010.

I expect Joba Year 2 to finish stronger than Andy Pettite. Hughes is the real wildcard. He’s slated for 150 regular season innings. Hopefully health + natural talent + timely adjustments let Hughes stay the season in the rotation.

Now … how do we replace Hughes in the ‘pen? R.Soriano?

9. gxpanos says:

A lot of Duchscherer talk here.

At the deadline, I LOVED him, wanted to Cash to get it done, etc. etc.

I still love Duch the PITCHER: he’s versatile, showed he can start in the AL. But he’s VERY injury prone, and he has IBS and some depression issues. Is NY really a good place for that kind of guy? I think Oakland is the kind of market he’d most thrive in, and I don’t see him wanting to put himself through the ringer in NY.

Again, I’d LOVE to see him on the team; I just dont think he’d want to come. But, if he does, he’s the kind of guy I’d route super hard for. It’s kind of tragic that a guy as good and versatile as he is has got fight through all these obstacles.

In sum: Love Duch, hope the Yanks get him; don’t think he’ll come and thus wouldnt count on him at all.

10. gxpanos says:

Also, this was Heyman’s scoop?

Didn’t know AP switch to Boras.

11. pete says:

I agree with the majority – the only starter we’re getting would be somebody who is willing to sit in the pen. I’m really not seeing anybody like that right now, except maaaayyybe j-douche, who i still think is too talented to want to be our long man or even a set-up guy (which would be somewhat counterproductive anyway, since we’d have to stretch him out to allow him to spot start). Not saying we don’t pursue him, just saying not sure we’ll be able to get it done. I do feel confident, however, with the fact that we have CC, AJ, and Andy, all of whom are pretty good to great innings eaters fronting our rotation. this means that we only need about 60 starts from the following: Joba, Phil, Kennedy, Gaudin, McAllister, Nova, possibly Wang later in the season. Given that joba’s innings limit is gone, he should be able to get through a full season without hitting a wall like this season. Not to say he’ll be consistent, because i doubt that he will. But my guess is that he’ll be as good as any other 4th starter in baseball. Hughes will also likely be inconsistent, and will probably hit a wall somewhere too. Luckily, Gaudin and Kennedy are both plenty capable as far as spot-starting goes, and McAllister and nova could be too. As long as hughes and joba don’t suck as bad as ’08 hughes and kennedy did, we should be ok.

12. [...] unsurprising news, Johnny Damon is a Type A free agent, and Pettitte is a Type B. As Joe wrote earlier, the Yanks will most likely resign Pettitte for 2010. The remaining Yankee free agents — Eric [...]

13. heather - oklahoma city says:

First, I am NOT saying the Duch guy can make it in New York, because we just won’t know that until they arrive (remember the randy johnson experiment?), but IBS and depression are not necessarily going to effect his performance on the field.

My son is twelve and has stress and anxiety related IBS and depression (possibly bipolar, but too young to diagnose yet and we have had a lot of deaths in our immediate family the past 8 years), however he THRIVES under pressure on the mound. The bigger the stage and higher the stakes, the better he is. He takes medication to control the IBS and baseball helps control the depression. He has told me that baseball is the one place where he can forget about everything else that weighs on him.

I’m just saying, don’t count a guy out because of physical things that are beyond his control…

14. heather - oklahoma city says: