Dec

Bruney might be headed to Atlanta

Via MLBTR, a team interested in reliever Brian Bruney contacted the Yanks, but was told “he is going to the Braves.”  This is the first we’ve heard about this, and frankly I’m surprised a team is interested in an inconsistent and injury prone reliever that’s about to get expensive through arbitration. I guess people love seeming those mid-90′s on the radar gun.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Aaron says:

Well I hope that the Braves are stupid enough to trade for him, good riddance!

2. Jake H says:

I wonder if this is more of a salary dump by the Yanks to free up some money. I doubt they are going to get a good prospect in the deal.

3. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Jason Heyward should do it.

4. A.D. says:

Wonder if its a minor Bruney for something random swap, or part of something larger.

5. Mattingly's Love Child says:

You can’t teach 95. Guys who can throw hard are always in demand, but I can’t see anything of value coming back from the Braves….

6. CountryClub says:

Although most of us arent in love with bruney, I think we expected him to be back next year. Now they have another open spot in the pen.

I hope this doesn’t lead to them signing a middle relief guy…or puting Joba or Hughes back in the pen.

• The Three Amigos says:

It probably means that they want to give a legit chance to Melancon like they did with Robertson this year or sign a middle reliever.

Mo, Ace, Marte, Coke, Robertson, Gaudin/ Melancon/ Dunn/etc. etc./ FA

• CountryClub says:

I hope you’re right. i dont want to see them pay too much for some other team’s middle relief. The easiest way to keep payroll down is to build the pen from within.

7. AndrewYF says:

Maybe he and another prospect (McAllister? Melancon?) could be swapped for Soriano if he accepts arbitration.

8. Crazy thought:

Maybe they’re trading Bruney for Rafael Soriano, who’s about to accept arbitration and thus, make 8M next year, which Atlanta certainly doesn’t want to pay.

• Zack says:

Soriano on a 1 year deal w/o giving up a draft pick? Sounds good to me, except that 8m will make a dent in Cashman’s budget

• Ed says:

One question on that… normally if you sign a free agent, you can’t trade him without his consent for something like 6 months from the signing date (may be off on exactly what the time frame is). If he accepts arbitration, does that still apply?

• Pedro's Daddy says:

Even if it did, I don’t think it would matter because i don’t think he wants to set-up in atlanta and he should know that the Yankees have been interested. A sign and trade would also be a way for cashman to avoid giving up a draft pick for a reliever.

• Yeah, Soriano would have to consent to being traded, I believe, but he’d probably consent.

Since the Braves signed Wagner and Saito for less than 8M AAV’s to be the closer and setup man, Soriano would have to know that his arb acceptance would put him on the chopping block in Atlanta. He’d accept a trade to the Yankees, knowing we’d not cut him and we’d give him the prime 8th inning role.

• Ed says:

Well, even though an arb contract is non-guaranteed, you can only cut for performance reasons, not salary concerns. And with the free-agent no-trade benefit, he couldn’t get traded before mid-season. So it comes down to does he think the Braves would be that desperate to get rid of him that they’d want to rework their bullpen mid-season.

I think he’d end up in the same position whether he was on the Braves or the Yankees, so it would come down to which city he’d rather play in. I have no idea if playing for the reigning champs or not moving his family means more to him.

9. Bo says:

Bruney had enough chances. He just cant throw strike consistently. Not to mention he cant stay healthy.

10. Fist O 'Laziness says:

Maybe a swap of non-tender candidates? Something like Bruney for Ryan Church or Kelly Johnson. Johnson’s a 2B but he played outfield in the minors, I think. So either guy could play LF or more likely be a backup plan/bench guy.

11. Pedro's Daddy says:

As soon as I read the rumor that soriano was going to accept arbitration I thought something was up. The braves don’t want to pay 8 million for another reliever on top of Wagner and saito. So when I saw the rumor that bruney was headed to atlanta, a sign and trade was the only scenario that made sense. They don’t wanna pay him 8 million to set up so they are probably give him up for bruney and maybe a low level prospect. No way would the Yankees give up someone like McAllister for him though.

12. Roger says:

I believe I heard Cashman say hes going to deal The Brunmeister for the Braves first round draft pick.

13. theyankeewarrior says:

Wait till Atlanta hears the “I still deserve to be the 8th inning guy because it was my spot before I got injured” quotes.

Haha he was on the DL for like 3 months and then came back asking for the 8th inning

14. Rose says:

If Bruney can stay healthy and take advantage of the NL…the Braves could have quite the bullpen, yet again. Especially if Soriano accepts arbitration…as what has been rumored.

• Wagner: 7M
      Saito: 3M
      Bruney: 3-4M

They couldn’t afford to keep Soriano if they add Bruney. (Frankly, I don’t know if they can even afford Bruney.) He’s gotta be a goner, in some form or another.

• Rose says:

Here’s my question.

Why pay Wagner, Saito, and Bruney upwards of about $14M…when there may have been a chance that you could have gotten a much better duo of Gonzalez and Soriano for about that combined (albeit for more years)…

I think I’d still take the younger guys…IF they were planning on spending that much anyway…

15. T-Dubs says:

I can’t imagine Homerun Javy back in pinstripes but there would be more surprising things than a Bruney + kids for Lowe deal.

16. Hey ZZ says:

The craziest thing about this, is that not only was one team interested in Bruney but two teams. The Braves and whoever else leaked this info.

17. Willy says:

The weird thing about this rumor is that Cashman is going to know exactly who leaked it (unless more than 2 teams inquired on Bruney, which would be ludicrous). Not sure that matters much, but usually “sources” seem to do a better job of hiding themselves.

18. Mike bk says:

what are the chances this is part of some deal to take on Derek Lowe? Also if it is with the money he is owed the yanks should request some good prospects to get atlanta out of that deal.

19. [...] Bruney to the Nationals for a player to be named later. There was talk this morning about Bruney possibly being shipped to Atlanta, however those are obviously false. Posted on Monday, December 7th, 2009 at 12:57 pm in [...]