Dec

KLaw’s analysis of the Vazquez trade

As he does with ever major move, Keith Law gave his take of today’s Javy Vazquez trade, noting that the Yanks “could very well enter 2010 a better team on paper than they were at the same time before 2009.” That should scare the crap out of the rest of the league. KLaw acknowledges that Arodys Vizcaino is a fantastic prospect, but also adds that Melky Cabrera is a “fairly pricey for a fourth outfielder,” and that Mike Dunn still has a ton of work to do on his command.

It’s definitely a long term sacrifice for a short term gain, but the Yanks can afford to take such risks.

Categories : Asides

1. Jay says:

Mike I read that as well, and wanted your take. Do you think the Yanks are a better team this year?

2. As much as I don’t like losing Vizcaino, aren’t there guys, despite Viz’s upside, closer to the Majors than him?

3. Teix is the Man says:

How will Hughes and Joba get consistent turns in the rotation?

• Drew says:

AAA, injuries…

• Mike Axisa says:

Joba will as the 5th starter, and they’ll need a 6th starter at some point, they always do.

• JMK THE OVERSHARE's Glenn Beck Complex says:

What would be your optimal rotation/Hughes placement? AAA, swingman 6th starter, bullpen set-up man?

• Evil Empire says:

Do you think the Yankees will put Hughes in the pen and convert him if someone goes down?

• If they put him in the set up/one inning reliever role, it’ll probably take too long to re-convert him. I’d prefer he start in AAA to build innings then be ready ASAP if someone goes down. If they want to keep him in the majors, I’d like him to do the swingman type thing and get multiple innings at a time.

• ledavidisrael says:

HUGHES OR JOBA TO AAA while the other one starts in the 5 hole.

No reason to stack your BP for the first half the season. IF its needed for the post season its a blessing.

I have an arbitration question. If hughes/joba spend the year in the minors do we get an extra pre arbitration year?? how does that work?

• Ed says:

Arbitration & free agency are based off time spent on the major league roster. Time on the major league DL counts, including time on a minor league rehab stint. Being optioned to the minors stops the clock.

• Evil Empire says:

Yeah it would be prudent to keep him in AAA for the first half of the season and call him up in the 2nd half as a reliever if everyone is healthy.

• Chris says:

I don’t think so. With the results from Joba in 2008 and Ace in 2009, they seem to be getting more reluctant to move young pitchers from the pen to the rotation during the season.

4. Matty Ice says:

I also like Vazquez’ contract. 10+ million this year….if the FA market is bad (ie, people resign), we offer him arbitration. If we need to free up some salary for Lee/Crawford/Mauer, we have $10+ million that could come off the books.

• sciorsci says:

Vazquez probably gets offered arbitration no matter what. Even if he accepts (unlikely), goes to arbitration, and wins (a lot of ifs), he still comes at a reasonable rate for a pitcher of his caliber. And the more likely scenario, where he declines, gives the Yankees the opportunity to pick up a couple of draft picks to restock the farm system.

5. Tank the Frank says:

It’s definitely a long term sacrifice for a short term gain no-brainer.

6. Riddering says:

Curse you, Insider!!!

I agree that it’s difficult to lose a prospect with such tantalizing stuff but this trade was just about painless for the Yankees. Very, very good move.

7. Free Mike Vick says:

The Yankees will find other Arodys Vizcainos.

• ledavidisrael says:

Someone made a great point in an earlier post about how if they net picks off javy they can draft someone with similar upside who is closer to the bigs..

• Bill O says:

Maybe, but that doesn’t mean that we didn’t just give up a great prospect. If he continues to have similar levels of success in full season ball next year he could’ve easily become the 2nd best prospect in our system and certainly has the potential to be a top 50 prospect in baseball as soon as next year. Let’s not sell Viz short here, but saying he’s easily replaceable. The guy has rare talent with mid 90′s velocity and a devastating curveball.

The only knocks on him right now are experience and reportedly a poor work ethic. The latter may have led to his inclusion in this deal. However his fastball and curveball were among the best in the system this past year and he still has time to develop a changeup which should be a solid 3rd pitch.

He’s far away, but every indication we’ve seen thus far shows that he shouldn’t have much difficulty moving up the ranks. I really see injuries as the only thing that could limit him.

8. Bay or Holliday says:

Just saw on MLB Network that Yanks on verge of an announcement on a position player (assumed to be LF).

Cashman stated it was something that had been talked about that they (the Yanks)are not talking about. Just have to dot the I’s and cross the T’s.

MLB network speculates it’s DeRosa with no foundation to it. Thoughts?

Obviously the Yanks were waiting until after the Atlanta trade went through to take on the OF issue. Bay has been stalling the Mets.

DeRosa isn’t going to be the Yankee Left Fielder. I can’t see that. Yanks reportedly contacted Bay’s agent a few days ago. I think it’s Bay.

• JMK THE OVERSHARE's Glenn Beck Complex says:

Barry Bonds. It’s a lock.

• ledavidisrael says:

Is their any truth to this? Why wouldnt it be all over the net by now? TV moves fast than the internet? SINCE WHEN!!!!!

• Bay or Holliday says:

I just saw it! It was an interview with Cashman on the MLB Network. He was asked if any more moves were coming. That was what he said.

It was Cashman talking about today’s trade. On MLB network Hot Stove.

• ledavidisrael says:

And he wasn’t speaking about johnson????

• ledavidisrael says:

And he wasn’t talking about Nick Johnson????? we are sure its a “new” player or an LF

• Evil Empire says:

That’s what I thought, he was talking about Nick Johnson. I don’t believe he’s been officially announced yet.

• Bay or Holliday says:

NO, not Nick Johnson.

What RED SOX FANS are writing about us possibly getting Bay:

“I agree with you evileddy. If they have 85 million to throw at John Lackey, and I’m glad they did, they should have an equal amount to give to Bay. Give him the 5 years. I don’t care about about all of those stats like UZR that are quoted to denigrate his defense, I care about the 36 home runs and 120 RBI’s that are going out the door. He didn’t make an error and I believe he led the league in outfield assists, which is good enough for me. The farm system is intact as is Buccholz, Ellsbury and Bard who are being bandied about in trade talks with San Diego and along with Mike Cameron provides insurance for one of J.D. Drew’s many ailments that inevitably rear their ugly heads every season. If not Bay, then throw the money at Holliday, keep Lowell and call it your team. No trades with the above mentioned young guys or anyone in the farm system.”

• Evil Empire says:

That seems like what Red Sox fans are writing about themselves possibly getting Bay.

And that poster seems kind of … ignorant, to be blunt, due to his blatant dismissal of UZR.

The Red Sox need some extra offense. The Yankees don’t. And if they did, they’d be better served with Matt Holliday. But they don’t…they really really do not.

• Chris says:

About to announce a position player? How about a DH? Maybe Nick Johnson.

• Charlie says:

that’s a load of bullshit

• I was watching the Cashman segment on MLB Network. I wasn’t listening closely, but I did not get the same impression (at all) as this commenter. The hosts speculated, after Cashman hung up, that the Yanks would soon add a bat, but Cashman said nothing of the sort. This commenter misunderstood what he heard. (Or I misunderstood… But, judging from the lack of attention being paid to this when, if true, it would be all over the place… I’m relatively confident that he’s the one who is mistaken.)

• A.D. says:

Yeah on the other thread people were all over this, thus I watched the clip when they re-ran. He basically said that they were “in on people”, couldn’t talk about these things unless all the “I’s and T’s were crossed”, can’t speculate, and there are no new names, all people they had “talked about before” (referring to the crew).

Net in net I took it as we’re still looking at LF options, but we don’t have anything yet, and its not going to be Damon.

9. Short Porch says:

and his name is Chapman.

10. ledavidisrael says:

I wonder if all these beat writers would have arodys dick in their mouths if dude wasn’t leaving the yankees.

11. Bay or Holliday says:

OK Poll, who starts LF for the Yanks Opening day?

I say Bay! Sound off.

• Off topic this post is.

• Mike Pop says:

Go to the open thread to talk about this.

• Esteban says:

Not Bay, Mo willing.

• ledavidisrael says:

I say Holliday.

Hal was quoted as saying
      “I think Brian understands that if it’s a matter of getting one player, I’m not going to slam the door in his face — let’s put it that way,” Steinbrenner said. “But I am a budget person and he did get a budget”

I think Holliday is that one player. It only makes sense to sign him last to keep up this cost cutting facade.

• JMK THE OVERSHARE's Glenn Beck Complex says:

You like polls. Heh. Anyway, I’ll bite even though it’s off-topic. I think we should sign both Bay and Holliday. Sure, we don’t have the money to sign one of them, let alone both. But you know what? If one of them goes down, we need to ensure that we have a potential AS at all 9 positions. Cost? Who cares?! If one is cold during the playoffs (the only time that matters), we need a suitable replacement.

/is this thing on?

12. I need a new pet prospect, who’s coming to SI next year for me to stalk??

13. So I want to watch MLB network right now but my brother hijacked the TV to watch wrestling.

Thus, if this DeRosa rumor has meat to it, I need you guys to tell me.

14. Dan says:

One thing not being talked about and being overlooked is the fact that Vasquez will most likely be a type A free agent after this year and the yankees will certainly offer arbitration if he is not signed to a multi year deal. He will certainly turn down arbitration , being the # 2 starter on the open market. The final pieces of this trade could well be Melky, Dunn,and Vizcaino for 1 year of Vazquez, Logan and two high draft choices.

15. So do we all think Logan will stick as the second lefty in the ‘pen? Does WDLR become the 2010 version of Mike Dunn?

16. Charlie says:

From LoHud:
    “Cashman said whoever does not make the rotation will either go to the bullpen or go to Triple-A.”

Definitely good to see Cashmoney acknowledge the possibility of jobaphil going to AAA. I would really like to see that rather than have the loser go straight to the bullpen

17. Jake H says:

Now they just need to sign Chapman to replace Arodys.

18. ColoYank says:

Yankee minor league depth = exchanging Coke and Cabrera for Vazquez and Granderson.

Wowzers.

19. danny says:

there is a lot of dislike for Vasquez from yankee fans who cant put past the end of the 2004 season, im not saying Javy has to prove anything but im interested to see what kind of season he has.

• Bo says:

hes not being brought in to be some savior. now hes just a piece. what mid rotation starter has extreme pressure on him??

• Zack says:

um any Yankee pitcher?

Joba was the 5th starter and people were all over him.
        Hell, we had Brett Tomko as the last option in the bullpen and people were all over him.

• Bo says:

Being all over and mad about performance is a tad different than extreme pressure to live up to something. People were all over bad performance. how does tomko sucking compare in any way?

• Zack says:

No, you’re telling me a 5th starter on any other team had as much pressure on him as Joba last year or this year? No other fanbase have fans going crazy after a bad game to put their top prospect into the 8th inning.

20. NCpinstripes says:

Vazquez may not be a short-term option. If he comes in and has a solid year, Cashman might try to work out a multi-year deal with him. He would certainly come much cheaper than Lee. Worse case scenario, they offer him arbitration, and we get two high draft picks for him. Pettitte will most likely retire after next year, so that will free up right at 12 million to either re-sign Javy or pursue Lee.

• pete says:

i’d have to assume this would depend on the progression of hughes and chamberlain. for 2011, Vazquez will be a better option than pettitte, no doubt, but in that scenario you’d really like to have a 1A starter, so hopefully by that time Joba has begun to approach his ceiling

• Bo says:

the two picks if he leaves arent a bad thing either

21. Mike bk says:

“Interestingly, Yankees’ GM Brian Cashman noted today that the club tried to acquire Javier Vazquez from Arizona after 2005 and the White Sox after 2008, “but we just didn’t match up,” reports Chad Jennings of The Journal News.”

22. trent says:

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Joba will not be a starter? Not now or next year. Hughes is better suited for the roll.