Dec

Open Thread: A Tribute To Old Reliable

I am far too young to remember the days of Tommy Henrich, but Old Reliable sure has a special place in the hearts of so many Yankee fans. The following poem was written by lifelong Yankee fan Joe Ribando, Sr., and was sent is to us by his son Joe Jr.

A Tribute To Old Reliable
by Joe Ribando, Sr.
December 2, 2009

Sad news was heard on this December day
Tommy Henrich has passed away.
A Yankee great of the past, as the story is told
He left this earth at 96 years old.

Why remember a player of days long ago
When teams played hard, not just for show?
When traditions were built on the field so green
Rooted in guts and drive, and skills oh so keen.

A great player in April, June and September
But his post season record will long be remembered.
Mickey Owens dropped strike in the series of ’41
The batter?  Yes Henrich, he was the one.

Or perhaps it was the classic of 1949
When Tommy hit the walk off homer, the first ever, so fine!
To four series rings he helped bring to fruition
Adding to the lore and mystique of Yankee tradition.

Thirteen seasons in pinstripes, part of so many great teams
To be a Yankee for life is as great as it seems.
Even better is the respect bestowed by your peers,
Of their confidence in you as a player and a man without fear.

As time moves on few fans remember the past
Of the paths that were paved and honors so vast.
But the biggest honor of all, a title undeniable
Is to be known forever as the great Yankee, “Old Reliable.”

R.I.P., Tommy.

* * *

Here’s your open thread for the night. The Knickerbockers are in Orlando, and The Quest For 0-82 returns home to face the Mavericks. Anything goes, just be nice.

Categories : Open Thread

1. I both love, and at the same time, vehemently hate this poem.

• Evil Empire says:

I feel the same way. While I appreciate the effort Mr. Ribando Sr. put into it, this particular stanza (I hope that’s the right term, I’m stupid with this stuff) rather irks me:

“Why remember a player of days long ago
      When teams played hard, not just for show?
      When traditions were built on the field so green
      Rooted in guts and drive, and skills oh so keen.”

The implication is pretty clear. Players back in the day actually gave a shit and put forth an effort, while of course today’s players only care about the money. It was all about tradition and grit and glory back in the day. Now its all petty bullshit fanfare.

I mean no disrespect to the guy who wrote the poem but that part ridiculous.

2. Salty Buggah says:

I really think my computer sucks. First, Google Chrome suddenly started crashing 7-8 times a day after working so well for a long time. Then, I switched to Firefox a while back. It was great at first but now its has crashed 29 times (And I’m not exaggerating, this is my count so far and I might have missed some) in the past 45 hours. It has to be my computer right?

3. JMK aka The Overshare says:

It’s no “Joba We Profess Our Love To Thee,” but it was really nice. Well done!

4. Nick says:

Is it just me or is Danilo Gallinari turning into a pretty nice player?

…not that anyone cares about the Knicks…

• Keanu Reeves says:

I want to care about the Knicks…it’s just so hard sometimes.

And yes, Gallinari has been pretty impressive. He’s got me semi-excited.

• Zack says:

He can shoot, dont know if he can do much else.

It’s tough to care when 50% of their roster is going to change and you dont know who’s coming or not.

• Ivan says:

Gallinari can sure shoot his ass off no question. He’s also a better athlete than given credit for as well.

Besides Gallinari isn’t going anywhere. D’Antoni loves him and same with Walsh. Besides I,ve always been big fan of Gallinari.

• Zack says:

I didnt say he was going anywhere, but probably 6 out of 14 guys are gone.

“Besides I,ve always been big fan of Gallinari.”
          Starting when?

• Gallo, Douglas, Chandler, and Hill are all staying next year.

Here’s the plan, as of now:

Gallinari, Douglas, Chandler, and Hill are the young turks. LeBron signs a max deal. Eddy Curry and Jared Jeffries, who are both just semi-desirable by themselves but have the benefit of being expiring contracts, are bundled up with a 2012 draft pick (and possibly one of the four above players) for a sign-and-trade for LeBron’s running mate, whether that’s Bosh, Joe Johnson, D-Wade, whatevs.

Then, D-Lee and Harrington are offered veteran exception deals to return at reduced rates to play with that LeBron-Bosh-Gallo-Douglas-Chandler-Hill core. First one to take it gets it. Everyone else (Hughes, Duhon, Nate, etc.) can come back on cheapo deals or go elsewhere and be replaced by other guys willing to sign cheapo deals to come play with the new Eastern badboys.

Plan B is, Bron comes by himself, we let Curry and Jeffries stay and walk the following year, and sign a max player THAT winter for Bron’s sidekick.

• Ivan says:

AND…What if Bron doesn’t show up?

• A) Take Wade instead
              B) Take Joe Johnson instead
              C) sit on the cash and wait for Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Kevin Durant, etc.

The strategy is sound regardless. You’re not winning anything in the NBA without a superstar, so if you don’t have a superstar, you have to burn your team down and wait for the opportunity to sign a superstar.

But realistically, where else is LeBron gonna go? Nobody can offer him the opportunity the Knicks can. The Knicks now are like the Yankees of the 80′s or the 2000′s… it’s only a matter of time until we’re back on top again, because we’re a destination that marquee players want to play for.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Why you say that? The Yankees are a completely different animal than every other professional sorts team. What exactly is it about the Knicks that would draw Lebron to them over any other team?

(If the answer is obvious pretend it’s not, I don’t watch basketball).

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

In fact, I would argue that big FA’s want to come to the Yankees originally (like, back when we bought Ruth originally) because we had the most money and then because we had a ridiculous unparallelled run of sucess and a rich owner.

• Ivan says:

Think about this:

You know’s #1 in forbes, in richest basketball team?

The New York Knicks. And NY has had as much basketball history as baseball. Trust Me, nobody compares to the yanks, but the Knicks compared to most frnachises in sports are just as lucrative.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Trust Me, nobody compares to the yanks

TSJC:

The Knicks now are like the Yankees of the 80’s or the 2000’s

• Nady Nation says:

“What do the Knicks offer? They have a decent tradition but nothing really special as far as I know.”

- Playing in New York City (Have you ever been to Cleveland?)
                  - Playing every night in the mecca of basketball
                  - The largest media market in the world, leading to exponentially more endorsement deals
                  - The challenge and opportunity to bring a team with a storied franchise and starving fanbase its first title in 40 years. (If Lebron won here, he’d be bigger in this city than Jeter)
                  - A young team in good salary cap position going forward to bolster the roster around him (unlike Cleveland)

Can you really not figure out what NY can offer Lebron? It’s not that hard.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Mecca of basketball? Yeah, when there’s a good team. Like any other team.

Last year they were chanting “MVP” to Kobe at the Garden. Please.

You know what Cleveland has to offer? A good team.

(BTW, NY is a baseballtown. He would NOT be bigger than Jeter).

• Nady Nation says:

No. Madison Square Garden, the building, is known as the mecca of Basketball.

I was at that Kobe game. The crowd was probably 60-70% Laker fans. Them, and the corporate non-fans with nothing invested in the game were the ones chanting. And please, are you trying to act like NY baseball fans are sophisticated or intelligent? Do you not recall Yankee fans booing the likes of Jeter, Mo, and A-Rod?

Do you know why Cleveland has a good team? Because LEBRON IS ON IT. They’re a lottery team if you take him off that roster.

And Lebron most certainly would be bigger than Jeter if he won a championship here. NY was a basketball town in the 90s. Also, basketball is the only major sport with only one NY team that everyone to unite over. Combine that with the fact that Lebron would be breaking a 40 year curse and winning the franchise’s only third title, and he would be King of NY, more so than Jeter.

• Nady Nation says:

*can unite over.

• Ivan says:

Agreed. I have hard time believing the Knicks will be shut out in 2010.

The Knicks will rise again.

Think about, us knick fans since birth never saw our team win the championship…that’s not cool, not at all.

• Zack says:

Whatever does happen, it is better then what has been happening.

5. king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

ok, i know lots of you guys hate superstition and absurdity it brings, so i thought, as a superstitious guy, id share my revolution with you (from saturday)

ever appalachian state football game i have ever attended, after having had shrimp cocktail as part of the pre-game tailgating festivities, has been won handily–including 2 recent national championships. at the first round of the playoffs, against last year’s victim south carolina state, i again brought the luscious shrimp, ketchup and horseradish delight.

except it fell of the wall of a three story parking deck.

distraught, i ran down to eat it as quickly as i could. or, clean it up as my wife directed. (although i was tempted to eat just one)

after a rough and poorly played game, we did in fact win anyway, causing me to learn a very important lesson:

eating the shrimp had nothing to do with any of our victories.

its ME! i just have to come to the game!!!

6. Mike… I’m sure it’s tough for you to think about hockey on a day like today, but there’s a pretty decent hockey game going on tonight (Canucks at Devils).

RIP Valiquette.

• Annnnd Elias promptly goes down with an injury. Fuck you, karma.

• Elias back on the ice… We’re cool, karma, no worries.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Eh, Devils have been doing fineeven w/the injuries.

• Yeah, but that doesn’t mean it’s no problem if their top scorers start getting hurt.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

True, but they’re playing so well I’m actually not too worried.

• Dude, come on. If Travis Zajac goes down with an injury tonight you’re going to say ‘eh, they’re playing well with all the injuries anyway, so no worries?’ You think recalling Tim Sestito to fill the spot of an injured first or second line forward is going to do the trick?

It’s great that they’ve withstood the injuries thus far, but let’s count our blessings and not get too cocky/unrealistic here.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

I’ll corss my fingers and hope we stay hot long enough for our guys to get healthy again.

No use worrying about the Devils potentially playing badly in the future when they’re playing well now. Besides, hockey is a streaky sport anyway.

• Ugh. I didn’t say I’m going to jump off a bridge if someone gets hurt or that I’m freaking out about them playing poorly in the future. I said it would be unfortunate if one of their top scorers were to get hurt. I’m not sure how that’s a sentiment any fan could disagree with.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

No, you didn’t say any of that. Nor did I say you said that. I just said I feel good about the Devils right now, even with the injuries, and they’re a good team so I’m not worried.

That’s it.

• Ok. You said things in this conversation that had nothing to do with what I’d said, and if they weren’t intended to respond to things I said then I don’t know what purpose they have in this conversation, but fine. Not worth bothering with any further.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

What?

You said, “Annnnd Elias promptly goes down with an injury. Fuck you, karma.”

I said: “Eh, Devils have been doing fine even w/the injuries.”

Off topic…how?

I was saying that I was still confident in the team despite the injuries. After you got upset about an injury.

Uhhh…?

• It’s like we’re participating in different conversations. If you want to get into it, I’ll oblige, but I’d really rather not and I don’t think anyone else will appreciate it if we do.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

You have a way of getting under my skin that even TSJC doesn’t have. It’s damn annoying.

*Sigh* Best for all concerned we end this thread.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Hah. You guys are like an old, deaf married couple.

• UWS says:

I knew there was a reason I liked you, Mondesi.

Devils fans, represent!!

• I feel like there’s a pretty decent-sized group of Devils fans who read/comment here… Or maybe we’re just vocal. I guess fans get more vocal when their team is, you know, good.

• Han Solo (Peter): You guys seem like crazy morons to me.
          Luke Skywalker (Chris): You don’t believe in the Force, do you?
          Han Solo (Peter): Oh, you mean that thing you just found out about, like, three hours ago and are now judging me for not believing in it?
          Luke Skywalker (Chris): Do you believe in anything?
          Han Solo (Peter): Uh, yeah. Didn’t you see my Kabbalah bracelet?
          Luke Skywalker (Chris): What’s Kabbalah?
          Han Solo (Peter): About a buck seventy-five. Hahaha! Honestly, I have no idea. I’m just a slave to trends.

7. Ivan says:

Fun Fact:

The View is more entertaining than Nets Basketball.

8. JobaWockeeZ says:

BIGGEST. OFFSEASON. YANKEE. SURPRISE.

The Blue Jays are interested in “the big 4,” Joba, Hughes, AJAx and Jesus. Color me surprised.

Oh well I’m glad our GM is smart and won’t trade all of them for Doc. <3

9. Ivan says:

I don’t know about you guys, but im pretty damn excited for Mayweather vs. Pacquiao fight coming soon.

10. Evil Empire says:

Random baseball question!!!

How does RAB think Chris Young of the San Diego Padres is going to do next year? I am in no way whatsoever suggesting we trade for him. I’m just curious if anyone thinks he’ll bounce back to his 06/07 form.

Bill James predicts 101 IP and a 4.23 FIP. I think he had shoulder issues if I recall, so that sounds like a fair enough projection.

11. Slugger27 says:

guys, im havin a debate with my dad… mostly pertaining to the authors and regulars of this site but anyone is free to answer

with the game on the line in the 9th inning, down a run bases loaded or whatever, who do u want at the plate, arod or jeter?

i wont tell u which i think yall will pick, just curious as to who of the 2 u choose… tsjc your opinion is valued with both of us, so id appreciate ur input

12. Slugger27 says:

he wants me to clarify a runner on 2nd and not bases loaded^^ if that means any difference to anyone

13. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Fuck.

Not Brodeur’s best game.

14. JMK aka The Overshare says:

It’s a poor ode to mryankee’s trade proposals.

In the tune of Mariah Carey’s “Fantasy”:

(Shoe do do do do do do no)
    (Shoe do do do do do do yeah)
    (Shoe do do do do do do no)
    (Shoe do do do do do do yeah)
    (Shoe do do do do do do no)
    (Shoe do do do do do do yeah)
    (Shoe do do do do do do no)
    (Shoe do do do do do do yeah)

Oh, when you write the comments on RAB every night
    Proposing Roy, Albert, Matt, Timmy and looking blind
    I get kinda nauseous inside
    Mmm, mryankee I’m so confused by you
    Darling, if your misunderstanding of payroll and projected value only knew
    One guaranteed yr. for top prospects are the things that flow through my mind

(But it’s just a) sweet, sweet fantasy, baby
    When I close my eyes
    RAB comes and they heckle thee
    (On and on and on)
    So deep in daydreams
    But Halladay for Joba, AJAX, Montero or Melky, and IPK is a sweet, sweet fantasy, baby

They’re not images of small-market thinking
    Be cautious, stay patient, operate smartly
    The MSM Kool-Aid, you be drinkin’
    As your asinine proposals go to my head
    We’re better off with cost-controlled starters instead
    Especially when AJAX and Jesus take over
    Time and time and time again
    Roy will be in his mid-30s
    We’ll be paying top, top dollar for his decline
    You must be out of your mind

(But it’s just a) sweet, sweet fantasy, baby
    When I close my eyes
    RAB comes and they heckle thee
    (On and on and on)
    So deep in daydreams

(Shoe do do do do do do no)
    (Shoe do do do do do do yeah)
    (Shoe do do do do do do no)
    (Shoe do do do do do do yeah)
    (Shoe do do do do do do no)
    (Shoe do do do do do do yeah)
    (Shoe do do do do do do no)
    (Shoe do do do do do do yeah)

(But it’s just a) sweet, sweet fantasy, baby
    When I close my eyes
    RAB comes and they heckle thee
    (On and on and on)
    So deep in daydreams

I’d be in YSIII heaven
    With my Mo, Jesus, Melvin and Phil Nevin(?!)
    My lovely producing cost-controlled friends
    There’s no beginning
    And there is no end
    Flexibility is important for the Yankees
    $60 mil. for a rotation of three
    In their mid 30s
    Means you can’t get King Felix and you have no flexibility
    Feels like you’re dreaming
    Reading that shit has me reeling

(But it’s just a) sweet, sweet fantasy, baby
    When I close my eyes
    RAB comes and they heckle thee
    (On and on and on)
    So deep in daydreams

Yeah, we like Holliday
    But not for 5/$80
    You know he’s overpriced, wait for Carl, kay?
    Can’t lock up corner spots ‘til 2020
    It’s poor strategic thinking and oh, by, by, by the way
    fuck signing Jason Bay!

Sweet, sweet fantasy, baby
    Sweet, sweet fantasy, baby
    (Shoe do do do do do do NO!)

15. Zack says:

How do you expect to win when you start Hassel and Boone? You’re going to lose, atleast give Lee and Terrence Williams court time.

16. Is anyone else watching the Devils game and, if so, did you just see that “Smells So Good” perfume store commercial? That commercial was pretty epic, I think I’d put that one right up there with the commercial for the Grand Prospect Hall.

17. The Artist says:

Good piece on Aroldis Chapman. There are serious questions about:

-His stuff (92 MPH in workouts)
    -His control (He doesn’t have much)
    -His secondary pitches (doesn’t have that either)
    -His willingness to be a reliever
    -His unwillingness to show his value in Dominican Ball
    -His maturity
    -His coachability

Other than that, he’s a sure thing.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

I think I’d be happy with just Noel Arguellos or whatever his name is. This is the first time I’ve decided I just don’t think Chapman will pan out. Unless his price tag comes down by a lot, ehh, I think I’d pass.

Cyclops Mateo is still out there!

• Johan Iz My Brohan says:

92 mph is still pretty hard, I don’t see why that would be an issue, what would be the reason for throwing any harder in workouts? If he is trying to build endurance by throwing more pitches, then he would only need to throw 92.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

To clarify: I’m not concerned about his fastball. I’m concerned about his lack of secondary pitches, his control and his mechanics. The immaturity and problems with coaching are speculative, but they certainly raise concerns.

The thing about him not showing his value in Dominican ball is his handlers’ doing, not his. Same goes with the reliever thing. I wouldn’t read too much into that. They want to keep his projected value high, as they should.

• Drew says:

“His willingness to be a reliever”
      You mean he doesn’t want to cut his value by 75%?? What a douche.

• The Artist says:

He’s effectively a minor league pitcher. He doesn’t get to make these decisions. The fact that he thinks he does tells you a lot. Read the article, his manager in Cuba called him “uncoachable”

18. JMK aka The Overshare says:

(Verse)
    Mo, I lift Your name on high
    Lord, I love to see Your cutter
    I’m so glad You’re in the 9th
    I’m so glad You came to save us

(Chorus)
    You came from heaven to Panama
    To show Jesus the way
    From the earth to the Cross-Bronx Expressway
    Our debt to pay
    From the mound to the parade
    From the 27th to the sky
    Mo, I lift Your name on high

19. Charlie says:

this is just irresponsible rumormongering that i don’t necessarily believe but you know how the yankees now have a lot of middle infielders on the 40 man? what if thats because they are actually planning on trading cano sometime soon?

20. andrew says:

The CFO of MLB spoke at my school tonight. A few interesting, but unsurprising, tidbits:

Selig does not like instant replay. As the game is making more and more of an effort to speed things up, Selig doesn’t want to slow the game down. In the generation of the blackberry, they fear losing the viewers in the younger generation.

No salary cap. Although everyone cites the NFL as a league that has tremendous competitive balance with a salary cap, he pointed to the NHL who has lost more money than ever since adding their salary cap. The NFL has a TV deal which allows each team to essentially pay its entire roster before factoring in merchandising profits and ticket sales. Placing a salary floor in the MLB would work similarly to the NHL – force teams to spend money they don’t have and lose even more money than before.

Revenue sharing – the best solution we have at the moment. He said they can’t help the fact that the Pirates ownership spends their money unwisely, and pointed to the Rays and Twins as teams with good owners, small payrolls, and successful franchises. He said if he could force the Pirates owners out of baseball, he would, but that he has no control over who buys teams.

• A.D. says:

Interesting, he’s prob more likely to lose viewers by having mistakes riddle the game that could easily be fixed.

• +1

Couldn’t you make the argument that not utilizing the technology the game has available would make MLB lose some of its younger audience?

• andrew says:

You could, but he said their efforts were at attempting to improve the game experience without slowing it down. The technology he discussed were things such as MLB Gameday, Live audio and viewing opportunities from MLB.com. He also brought up instances in the NFL where instant replay has failed to return the correct result (a bit of a strawman, i guess). Essentially, the vast majority of calls are correct, so the amount of times a game would have to go to instant replay in order to overturn a few calls did not seem worth it to him(seemed as though Selig was the main guy against replay though)

• The replay system could be easily overhauled to not make it so time consuming.

• A.D. says:

Yeah, plus I’d like to actual see the market data where if MLB games were 5-10 min longer that any current viewer would stop watching.

• pat says:

Yeah no shit. When we watch on TV we know within 15 seconds. Have somebody somewhere watch the replay on every single disputed call and relay it down to the field. We wouldn’t need these jackasses to have a board meeting on the field for 10 minutes every time there’s a disputed call. The mystery man in the booth makes the call and signals down to the field BOOM, play resumes.

• A.D. says:

Yeah, they categorize the younger generation with “blackberries” a technology advance, and then say they don’t want to add technology to the game… a bit odd

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

I know you’re trying to raise the collective IQ here with your interesting, thought-provoking piece and all, but dude, I’ve been on a roll with my dick and fart jokes. I’ve got a good thing going here; don’t take that away!

21. Drew says:

No disrespect, but poems ain’t my thang.

22. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Am I the only one who REALLY likes Dog the Bounty Hunter?

23. Nancy Newman is an odd looking woman.

24. Drew says:

Is it halftime yet?

/Artest’d

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Will someone please gentrify me? Pleaaaaase?

/Detroit’d

• Hooper: Always some white boy gotta invoke the holy trilogy. Bust this: Those movies are about how the white man keeps the brother man down, even in a galaxy far, far away. Check this shit: You got cracker farm boy Luke Skywalker, Nazi poster boy, blond hair, blue eyes. And then you got Darth Vader, the blackest brother in the galaxy, Nubian god!
        Banky Edwards: What’s a Nubian?
        Hooper: Shut the fuck up! Now… Vader, he’s a spiritual brother, y’know, down with the force and all that good shit. Then this cracker, Skywalker, gets his hands on a light saber and the boy decides he’s gonna run the fuckin’ universe; gets a whole clan of whites together. And they go and bust up Vader’s hood, the Death Star. Now what the fuck do you call that?
        Banky Edwards: Intergalactic civil war?
        Hooper: Gentrification! They gon’ drive out the black element to make the galaxy quote, unquote, safe for white folks. And Jedi’s the most insulting installment! Because Vader’s beautiful black visage is sullied when he pulls off his mask to reveal a feeble, crusty, old white man! They tryin’ to tell us that deep inside we all wants to be white!
        Banky Edwards: Well, isn’t that true?

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Awesome quote. Clerks?

• Clerks Star Wars discussion:

Randal Graves: [talking about the second Death Star] A construction job of that magnitude would require a helluva lot more manpower than the Imperial army had to offer. I’ll bet there were independent contractors working on that thing: plumbers, aluminum siders, roofers.
            Dante Hicks: Not just Imperials, is what you’re getting at…
            Randal Graves: Exactly. In order to get it built quickly and quietly they’d hire anybody who could do the job. Do you think the average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms.
            Dante Hicks: All right, so even if independent contractors are working on the Death Star, why are you uneasy with its destruction?
            Randal Graves: All those innocent contractors hired to do a job were killed – casualties of a war they had nothing to do with.
            [notices Dante's confusion]
            Randal Graves: All right, look-you’re a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia – this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn’t ask for that. You have no personal politics. You’re just trying to scrape out a living.

• Alex S says:

i heard nick swisher shoots red bull into his system before the 6th inning

25. Salty Buggah says:

Haha Epstein wants a middle of the order bat or a frontline SP for Papelbon. Yea, some dumbass GM will trade an ace for a closer.

Not even the Royals can do that.

26. Andrew says:

i truly dont understand why the braves just didnt keep one of gonzalez/soriano to close as opposed to giving up a first rounder for wags. whatevskis.

27. Crazy Eyes Killa says:

Mark DeRosa anyone?

28. donttradecano says:

Interesting take on Gallinari from theknicksblog.com (talking about passing on Gordon)

“you can find productive guards in any draft when you think about it. If you look hard enough you can. A 6?10 shooter who can get his shot off when being guarded (imagine when he actually has someone create some space and kick) is an absolute must to a team that has aspirations of being a really good team.”

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

He’d be a better asset if he could defend and rebound. Don’t get me wrong –I like the guy– I just wish he did more than shoot.

Still, he has a lot of potential. He badly needs to hit the weight room, though.

• Zack says:

“an absolute must to a team that has aspirations of being a really good team.”

So if they do get 2 max guys, Gallinari is going the the “absolutely must” of the Knicks being a good team?

29. JMK aka The Overshare says:

So I’m really the only one who would hit Nancy Newman? Really? I’d take her over Kim Jones.

30. JMK aka The Overshare says:

The quest for 0-82 continues.

• Drew says:

God Bless em. They took over my Heat’s yr 88-89 record.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Imagine this: John Wall, Devin Harris, Lebron, Brook Lopez in your starting 5. I’m not sure who’d play 2-guard in that rotation with Harris and Wall, but whatever. Or Harris, CDR, Lebron, Cousins, Lopez.

Wow.

• Evil Empire says:

I don’t generally watch any type of basketball besides March Madness and NBA playoffs, but the epic fail of the Nets has actually made be more interested in the sport. Its an ongoing storyline worth following. Its just such a historical train wreck, it seems important to one day be able to say “I remember when that happened”.

31. Evil Empire says:

Why the fuck is this person in the Hall of Fame? http://www.baseball-reference......fr01.shtml

Honestly.

Here’s the opening blurb from Wikipedia about him:

“Frank Leroy Chance (September 9, 1876 – September 15, 1924) was a Major League Baseball player at the turn of the 20th century. Performing the roles of first baseman and manager, Chance led the Chicago Cubs to four National League championships in the span of five years (1906-1910) and earned the nickname “The Peerless Leader”.

Chance was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1946.”

He was the player/manager on Chicaco Cubs’ last championship teams, that’s basically his claim to fame. Not good enough. I have a feeling the veteran’s committee is responsible.