Feb

Yanks looking at Cuban SS Adeiny Hechevarria

For some Cuban defectors, becoming cleared for MLB free agency can happen quickly. We saw that with Aroldis Chapman, who defected in early July, established residency in Andorra in September, and was granted free agency less than a week later. For other players it takes a bit longer. As George King of the Post reports, Cuban prospect Adeiny Hechevarria is about a week away from clearing the OFAC, which is still verifying his age, identity, and residency. Once that happens, word is the Yankees will be involved heavily.

The Cuban Ball Players blog has a bit more information about Hechevarria — including the spelling of his name, which I trust from that site, since it’s dedicated to Cuban players. Then again, the blog has him listed as 19 years old, while King’s article has him listed as 21. So we can take any information on the kid lightly at this point. In any case, the blog says that while Hechevarria posted a lower batting average than fellow Cuban Jose Iglesias, who signed with the Red Sox for $8.2 million last year, he hit for more power, especially the opposite way. Check out this video:

Will he stick at shortstop, though? Here’s an interesting quote from King’s article:

“He is a very good athlete and runs real well,” the scout said. “I don’t see him as a shortstop, I think he has a chance to be a center fielder in the mold of B.J. Upton. His throwing actions at short are kind of long.”

That doesn’t. This prospect won’t come cheap — probably somewhere around Iglesias’s deal — but it sounds like he might be worth the gamble, given his power and all-around athleticism.

Oh, and I don’t think we need to worry about his range to his left. The web-gem comes at the 4:58 mark.

Categories : Minors

1. Steve H says:

Based on that video, I don’t think we’ll be hearing “Pasta diving Hechevarria.” We had to assume the Yankees had at least looked into the possibility of signing him, but I’m still glad their interest is confirmed.

2. I’d LOVE for the Yankees to sign this kid. He bumped Iglesias to 2B on the Cuban junior national team, so I assume he can stick @ SS. Especially since Iglesias is “the best defensive SS in MiLB” according to some.

• Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

The Red Sox are going to be very exciting in a couple of years. Their team will consist of one outfielder (Westmoreland), one infielder (Enrique Iglesias), one pitcher (Kelly) and one catcher (doesn’t matter), everyone else in the lineup can just sit on the bench on defense.

• UKYankee says:

‘some’, my mama says i’m the best looking boy in the country ;)

• My mama tells me my parents’ solid financial standing, diverse contacts in many business industries, and clout on a local political level will enable me to overcome my plight of being dim-witted, hyperbolic, and physically deformed.

But what do mamas know?

3. A.D. says:

Given the age difference hopefully 21-22 is the worst case scenario?

4. We need to retool that farm system. Im with it!

5. Angelo says:

Any prospect with good talent is welcome in the Yankees farm system.

• Sure, but things are a bit more complex than that. I’m with you in that the Yankees’ biggest advantage is of course their financial might, particularly when bonuses doled cannot be regulated. But at a certain point projection and cost converge. Is $6 million reasonable? $8? $10? If there’s a budget –and there is– and he doesn’t work out that $6-10 million greatly adversely affects what kinds of players the team can acquire. Basically, this doesn’t exist in a vacuum. $500k is one thing, $8 million is another.

Beyond that, Hechevarria’s market value depends on a number of factors—can he stick at SS; what would his value be at CF; will his bat play; what is the probability he pans out; what is his age, etc. If using Iglesias as a baseline, you’re also assuming his $8 million deal was a proper market price. Maybe the Red Sox overpaid. Maybe they underpaid.

Even the largest, most successful organizations in business have a point in which cost for a commodity has its limit—you can’t just operate carte blanche.

• Angelo says:

Well I was speaking very plainly on prospects. Of course every team wants bang for every buck they spend, so if the price is too high then I can understand the Yankees passing on him.

However if the price is 6 million over the course of 5 or 6 years it cant hurt too bad. I was speaking more as a fan of the farm system more than anything. Either way I’ll be excited to see what happens with a lot of the Yankees lower level prospects. Nevertheless, they are still prospects, they wont always pan out, so if the Yankees think the pricing on this guy is too high then I havce faith in the Yankees brain trust that they made the right decision.

6. A.D. says:

What type of level is he at/ would start at in the minors?

7. Greg F. says:

That right fielder took an awful route to that ball.

8. Steve H says:

This would be great. Jeter>>>>>>>Nomar in the 90′s and 2000′s. We could have Hechevarria>>>>>Igelesias for the 10′s.

9. JobaWockeeZ says:

Seems like the Yanks like better than Miguel Sano.

Go for it Cash.

10. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Get it done Cashman!!!

11. Cecala says:

Cashman, Ger ‘er done

/larrythecableguy’d

12. Accent Shallow says:

Wow, those all-orange uniforms are hideous.

13. Drew says:

They say he’s got first round talent. Go get it, Cash.

14. Hey ZZ says:

Why would Cashman sign this kid for around 8 million when he could have spent that money of Damon!?!!!!!?? Do we even know if this kid can hit in the playoffs???

Cashman. What an idito!

15. Manimal says:

I thought we have no money…

16. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Knowing how much Axisa loves the international players, I bet, if the Yankees signed him, he would rank somewhere around 85 on Mike’s top 30 list.

17. GoatWizard says:

Do we know if he has any intangibles?

• Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

I’m assuming, since he’s Latin, he has lots of instincts, lots of natural abilities, grew up playing with no shoes, used a coconut for a baseball and an actual piece of cowhide for a glove. Since he’s also Cuban, I assume he knows hot to roll a cigar and overhaul an engine on a ’57 Chevy.

• No “intangibles”. Based strictly on geography I’d say has has “plenty of tools” and “loads of talent”, but he “doesn’t always play hard” and could “become lackadaisical in the field if he gets a big deal”.

• Zack says:

Don’t give him too big of a contract, he’ll get complacent. Of course there is nothing in his history to say he’ll get complacent.

/the un-named scout

18. [...] RiverAveBlues.com has some video action of Cuban phenom shortstop Adeiny [...]

19. Nickel says:

Meh…runner was safe at first. Bust.

20. Yazman says:

Even after a great stab, is it typical to take 7 strides before throwing the ball to first?

21. [...] check out the following profile, featuring video clips, from the Cuban Ballplayers Blog (props to RAB). Previous: [...]

22. [...] The Yankees are reportedly looking a Cuban shortstop Adeiny Hechevarria. [...]

23. John A. Ioannou says:

Is there any new news on Adeiny Hechevarria?

24. [...] team after being unblocked by OFAC. Joe told us everything we need to know about the 19-year-old last month, and it’s likely that he’ll receive a larger bonus than the $8.2M the Red Sox gave the [...]

25. Fantastic web page, I recently came across it and I am already a fan. I recently reduced my weight thirty pounds in thirty days, and I am excited to share my weight loss success with as many people as possible. If I can lose weight then any one can. No matter what you do, never quit and you WILL achieve all your weight loss objectives!