Mar

Garcia dazzles in minor league outing

Frankie Piliere of AOL Fanhouse was in the building yesterday to watch Yankees’ farmhand Chris Garcia take on the Phillies in a minor league contest, and I think saying he was impressed is an understatement. “Garcia is a complete, three-pitch pitcher, and that is with three plus pitches,” he says. “I don’t like to throw around plus grades often, so to see a pitcher with three plus pitches is a real rarity.” Of course, stuff was never the issue with Garcia, it’s always about his ability to stay on the mound. He’s dealt with knee, elbow, and oblique issues over the last few years, and has thrown just 260.2 innings since being drafted in 2004, 112 of which came in 2005.

Hopefully he stays healthy this season and surprises us all by contributing to the big league team in some capacity. I’m not going to hold my breath, but you’re more than welcome to get excited. Just don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Categories : Asides, Minors

1. pat says:

Garcia + Nunez = Profit.

2. Steve H says:

At what point would Garcia be worth something as trade bait? Half a season healthy, a full season, two seasons?

3. The Three Amigos says:

Garcia to the 8th!!!!!! Joba to AAA.

4. You’d better keep holding your breath, Mike. We all know Garcia will break if you breathe on him.

5. Steve H says:

What is Piliere’s background? Is it in scouting, or is this more of a fan/reporter report?

6. pat says:

He’s been dealing with the same arm BS that Burnett had to deal with, TJ then bone chips and scar tissue. There’s hope for this young lad. He’s still only 24 years old.

7. Kevin M. says:

If he works out Cash gets all the credit for keeping this kid on teh 40 when everybody else gave up on him.

8. ROBTEN says:

Shopkeeper: Take this object, but beware it carries a terrible curse!
    Homer: Ooh, that’s bad.
    Shopkeeper: But it comes with a free frogurt!
    Homer: That’s good.
    Shopkeeper: The frogurt is also cursed.
    Homer: That’s bad.
    Shopkeeper: But you get your choice of toppings.
    Homer: That’s good!
    Shopkeeper: The toppings contain potassium benzoate.
    [Homer looks puzzled]
    Shopkeeper: …That’s bad.
    Homer: Can I go now?

9. Reggie C. says:

On a day of mixed news, Garcia’s outing makes me smile. I just kinda expect the next time one of the Trio mentions Garcia in a post it won’t be performance-related. That’s just how Garcia’s career has turned out till this point. I’d like to be proven wrong though.

10. Dirty Pena says:

Where is AISD when you need him?

11. Do Not Feed The Trolls! says:

Meh doesnt matter if he stays healthy makes it as a MLB starter. The Yankees will find way to fukk it up.

12. pete says:

I propose that we completely ignore every mention of Chritian Garcia’s name from now on, unless he is actually pitching at the MLB level. Otherwise we’re just setting ourselves up for disappointment. From now on, Chris Garcia no longer exists.

13. AndrewYF says:

Mike, Mike, for shame. I thought you proclaimed that Garcia was dead to you. And now you’re looking at scouting reports?

You let him go. Don’t look back.

14. Coach6423 says:

3+ pitches!!!! Sounds like an 8th inning guy to me….

15. Accent Shallow says:

I’m glad he’s healthy. Here’s hoping it lasts.

(This is like letting the crazy ex-girlfriend back into your life who can’t stop cheating on you. Sure, she might have changed this time, but more likely, she’ll break your heart again.)

16. Omar says:

Garcia for 5th starter.

17. RollingWave says:

they need to buy him a oxygen bubble to be kepted in at all times, (hopefully while he’s pitching too, if that’s possible)

18. Chip says:

I’ll go out on a limb and say that Garcia is going to be the fifth starter next season so the club felt comfortable putting Joba in the bullpen to be the heir to Rivera. A front office executive from a rival team told me so