Mar

Open Thread: Yanks take both games

The day didn’t start off so well for Javy Vazquez. On his first pitch of the afternoon, his first live pitch of the spring, Jimmy Rollins took him deep. Perhaps he should compare notes with A.J. Burnett. Thankfully, things went pretty well after that. Vazquez retired the next six hitters he faced, striking out four. Jon Albaladejo pitched a scoreless frame, though not without allowing three hits. David Robertson got a bit roughed up, allowing two runs in .2 innings.

While starter Kyle Kendrick pitched well for the Phillies, old friend Jose Contreras got rocked, allowing six runs in 1.2 innings. Swisher doubled off him twice, and Kevin Russo did once.

Now for this evening’s open thread. Basketball is the theme of the evening. The Hawks visit the Knicks, while ESPN will have college hoops.

Categories : Open Thread

1. The Evil Empire says:

Ok, I made a post earlier in the game thread with my fantasy team picks, here’s another league I’m in with the 9th pick in the 1st round. What do you think? Feel free to rate 1-10?

C: Jorge Posada
    1B: Miguel Cabrera (2nd Round)
    2B: Robinson Cano
    3B: Evan Longoria (1st Round)
    SS: Jose Reyes
    OF: Jason Bay
    OF: Manny Ramirez
    OF: Raul Ibanez

SP: King Felix, AJ Burnett, Ricky Nolasco, Randy Wolf, Rich Harden, Jonathan Sanches, Derek Lowe, Barry Zito & Kevin Correia
    RP: Phil Hughes, Huston Street, Leo Nunez, & J.P. Howell

Bench: Nick Swisher & Brett Gardner

Starting pitching is deep, i’m just hoping Jose Reyes can start this season. It’s a Rotisserie league.

2. billbybob says:

Has chevy Nova been banished to Tartarus for allowing the hit today?

• Jose says:

He has to pitch the ball to no catcher, walk to the ball and take it back to the mound repeatedly for all eternity.

3. bexarama says:

If anyone subscribes to New York Magazine, they’ve had a new Canali ad with Mo every week now for a couple of weeks; they started with the one posted here, but for the past like three or four weeks they’ve had pictures that I saw nowhere on the internet. He looks megahot in all of them.

4. Moshe Mandel says:

I am exhausted. After an eventful and tiring weekend (the girls were born Thursday night, slept on a cot in hospital thursday, friday, saturday, drove to NY from Boston on Sunday with 3 kids) I needed to come back to Boston for classes today. I heard something about the Van Wyck on 1010 WINS, but figured that the VW is always trafficky and doesnt take crazy long (its only 3 miles in the “traffic zone”), so I just went for it. Bad, bad, bad mistake. Van Wyck took an hour and a half. Other assorted jams led a 3.45 trip to take 5.15. Then I had to go to my second class. Ugh.

5. Poopy Pants says:

Has anyone else seen this in the Post tonight?…

Aceves is opening eyes, and he wears No. 91, a tribute to Dennis Rodman. “I like how he worked.’’

6. ultimate913 says:

With what Aceves is doing this spring training so far, is he getting any serious consideration for the 5th spot or is he just there for more “competition”?

7. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

I just watched today’s televised game and I came away with a few observations:
    1. Kevin Russo can play.
    2. Christian Garcia (a favorite Axisa whipping boy) looked pretty good.
    3. Eduardo Nunez looked awfully white.
    4. Jonathan Albaladejo looked awfully
    5. Michael Kay could care less about any young player.
    6. Jesus Montero can play.
    7. Amuary Sanit looked stocky.
    8. Marcus Thames should start a fashion line of Sombreros.
    9. I am still not a fan of Grit Grittner.

8. Hughesus Christo says:

Anyone see Hetward’s 9000ft homer? Melky!

9. J.R. says:

I loved how Michael Kay was getting ripped on for his torn labrum. Maybe the funniest spring game I have ever heard.

10. bexarama says:

So today I was bored and looking at the video archives, looking for one thing I remember Mark Teixeira for in his pre-Yankee days (apart from the grand slam off of Edwar). And lo, I found it.

• Drew says:

“..and Teixeira’s going crazy.”

heh, that highlight reminds me how awful the umps were last season. WTF was that guy looking at that he didn’t see the white grass pop up.

• In the umpires defense, he said that he didn’t think that was chalk flying up, he thought the ball spontaneously combusted in mid air.

11. Over in Bredenton, Al Aceves was even more impressive, throwing four no-hit innings in a 6-0 victory. Ivan Nova, Jason Hirsh, and Zach McAllister followed with shutout innings of their own, with Nova allowing the only hit of the game.

Who’s Jason Hirsch?

/Beating a dead meme’d

12. Mike Axisa says:

Played the Red Sox with my fantasy draft team in The Show today. Up 7-1 in the 6th, and I ended up losing 9-7 on a Carlos Pena walk-off. The PS3 gave me a trophy called “Choker.”

I’ve had closer issues in that game since before it was The Show, back in the MLB 2005 days.

13. Rey22 says:

Anyone know when single game tickets go on sale? Is it usually mid-March?

14. bexarama says:

heh, I have the Brewers/Mariners game on in the background and Carlos Gomez just got tagged out on a stupid baserunning move. Memories…

15. Mike Pop says:

Should I take Ben Zobrist or Jose Reyes for my keeper league…

Any suggestions?

16. VO says:

Hey guys fantasy question. 12 team league, half the people don’t know about fantasy and I ripped 2 guys off today because they thought Pudge, Magglio, and players like that were still good. So here it goes, tell me if it’s even possible to stop me.

C- Weiters

RP- Soria
    RP- Bell
    P- Josh Johnson
    P- Neftali Feliz
    P- Brandon Webb
    P- Joe Nathan

I plan on trying to swap Cano for Zimmerman.

17. The Evil Empire says:

GUYS MOVIE “SUGAR” is on HBO now. Dominican baseball player trying to make it to the MLB.

18. Joe D says:

What do you guys think about Chris Volstad in a keeper league?

• depends on the depth of the league, of course, but off the top of my head i’d say that the 1st half of volstad’s work was fluky and unlikely to be replicated. he’s more like the guy you saw messing up your team in the second half of the year.

so, i dont want any part of him.

19. Steve H says:

Getting rejected in a trade offer for Chris Paul the day before he got hurt, and then picking up Collison the day after was the luckiest shit ever for my fantasy team this year.

How the hell did Collison drop to the 2nd round?

20. Jose says:

James Cameron congratulates his ex-wife:

• Steve H says:

I still can’t get over how good she looks at 59 (or 58), and how James Cameron keeps downgrading his wives. As he gets richer, shouldn’t he be upgrading?

• Jose says:

He created Avatar to explore visual technology. Eventually he will have the ability to digitally enhance his wife to an appropriate level to match his wealth.

21. Hangoverologist says:

Proof Al is awesome:

I used the chart that Mike had earlier today and plugged in Al’s hits at YSIII into some of the pitcher’s parks out west, and it turns out he would have mashed at least 19 or more if he played half his games at those parks. At AT&T, he would have hit 21 homers and four would have gone out to the water.

22. Steve H says:

So it’s March 8th and Chapman is throwing 100 MPH? Somewhere mryankee sheds a tear.

But is there any doubt Baker will run him out there for 140 pitches on opening day?

23. Steve H says:

Consider Pedroia’s line by age 25: 481 games, .307 batting average, .370 on-base percentage, .855 OPS, 191 extra-base hits.

Check those stats against history, and you’ll find only two second basemen with comparable numbers by age 25. One was Tony Lazzeri, who played for the Murderers’ Row Yankees and turned 25 in 1929. The other was Larry Doyle of the 1912 New York Giants.

Maybe it’s just me, but wouldn’t you consider before the age of 25: 414 games, .314/.346/.489 .835 OPS with 176 XBH at least comparable?

• bexarama says:

It gets even better. Run Pedroia’s numbers against 25-year-olds regardless of position, and you’ll generate a list of some of the best players in the game: Hanley Ramirez, Miguel Cabrera, David Wright, Albert Pujols, Vladimir Guerrero and Derek Jeter.

Ohhhh Edes.

• Jack says:

Just ignore the rest of the list for a minute.

Pujols through 25: .332/.416/.621, 167 OPS+
        Pedroia through 25: .307/.370/.455, 111 OPS+

Dustin Pedroia’s career high OPS+ is 122. Albert Pujols’s career low is 151.

Dustin Pedroia and Albert Pujols = not comparable.

• bexarama says:

Yeah, let me check that out.

Pedroia through 25: 111 OPS+
          Pujols through 25: 167 OPS+
          Hanley through 25: 138 OPS+
          Miggy through 25: 140 OPS+
          Vladdy through 25: 146 OPS+
          Wright through 25: 139 OPS+
          Jeter through 25: 121 OPS+

Whiskey tango foxtrot.

• Steve H says:

I just reread what he wrote. Run Pedroia’s numbers against 25-year-olds regardless of position, and you’ll generate a list of some of the best players in the game.

Technically that means nothing. While he certainly was implying that Pedroia’s numbers stack up, he didn’t actually say it. So now my question is, did he intentionally do that knowing that Pedroia’s numbers clearly don’t stack up, but by painting it with a broad brush, it helped his article?

• Drew says:

Eh, don’t hate. Pedroia has good numbers. I still say fuck em, granted. But we need to recognize he is pretty good(in Fenway).

ha. he’s nothing special out of fenway.

• Steve H says:

He’s a damn good player, but he simply doesn’t compare to those other guys other than Jeter(especially since Edes was considering offense only, not position or defense), and Edes suggested it, but didn’t really say it.

• bexarama says:

I like Pedroia a lot more than most Yankee fans do. He’s one of very few Red Sox I can stand. He’s largely a product of Fenway and he didn’t deserve that MVP, but he wasn’t a terrible choice and he is a good hitter. He’s one of the best 2B in baseball and possibly the best 2B in the AL.

That said, I don’t see what numbers you can use to say that Pedroia is comparable to Albert Goddamn Pujols. OPS? OPS+? WAR? WARP? VORP? None of those. OH WAIT, IN 2008 PEDROIA SCORED 118 RUNS AND PUJOLS ONLY 100!!! Pedroia > Pujols. BOOM!

• Steve H says:

I loved the cherry picked stats, including age. Here’s how mine goes:

Consider Steve Woodard’s line as a 22 year old after 1 start. 8 innings, 1 hit, 1 walk, 12 k’s and a win. When you look at that start througout history, it’s much more impressive. The start of Woodard’s career puts Roger Clemens, Nolan Ryan, Greg Maddux, Steve Carlton and many others to shame. Quite simply, Woodard, based on the statistics I gave you, is well on his way to becoming the greatest pitcher of all time.

24. This might be a very obvious point, or maybe nobody has thought ahead this far. Anyway, some have suggested that if Montero can’t stick at catcher, you could DH him until Tex’s contract expiresand then move him to 1B. Jesus will only be 27 when that happens.

Here’s the thing. Chances are Jesus gets a cup of coffee this year, and stays on the roster next year and thereafter. That sets his FA clock to expire right when Tex’s contract expires.

If he’s only a DH to us, but a 1B to someone else (like the Marlins) and a big pitcher like Josh Johnson were to become available, you could deal him, acquire Johnson, and then sign Montero to be your 1B for 2017 when Tex’s deal expires.

Just a thought.

• But if Montero hits like we think he’ll hit, someone’s gonna sign him to a huge extension

• Jose says:

I haven’t decided what to eat for lunch tomorrow. There are far too many unknowns to predict what happens in 2017.

• ROBTEN says:

The problem is that this would presuppose knowing that he absolutely can’t stick at catcher, which has in no way been determined. I also don’t know that it’s guaranteed that he’ll make the roster next year. However, even if he were guaranteed to come up for good next year and remain at DH, wouldn’t he replace Johnson and thus provide significant value to the team over the next 7 years? Regardless, I think that you have to give him every opportunity to remain at catcher before giving up and moving him (with the presumption that you could just sign him back again later).

But, what do I know. I’m one of those people that believes that you need to give Hughes and Chamberlain years before giving up on either as a starter, while others (see, Olney) have made their decision based upon the results of 2 innings in spring training.

• Hypothetical. Just play along.

• ROBTEN says:

Ok, but my point was that if the hypothetical presupposes that he’s worth signing again in seven years because he has developed into the kind of other-worldly talent at the plate that he’s projected to be (just not at C), and that he’s going to do so starting next year when there is a potential roster spot available for him (at DH), then I’d argue for keeping him and going after a free-agent like Lee.

A more difficult hypothetical situation is if you were offered a young, front-of-the-rotation starter for Montero right now, knowing that, for all his talent, he is still raw and might not reach his potential, would you do it then.

• Drew says:

imo, a thought that doesn’t bear thinking for quite some time.

25. Hey ZZ says:

Beckett likes the atmosphere the Sox created and a Beckett-Lackey-Lester threesome has a Maddux-Glavine-Smoltz feel to it.

26. bexarama says:

As long as we’re talking fairly delusional Boston writers, here’s the CHB himself:

Waaaaah?

27. JobaWockeeZ says:

Nyger Morgan and Brian McCann for Bengie Molina and BJ Upton. Who’s getting screwed?

Note: It’s NOT a keeper league.

28. Curt Schilling weighs in on Global Warming, and compares the scientists to Mark McGwire.

Pure, fucking gold.

• bexarama says:

a. Curt looks downright handsome in that photo of him at the top. (throws up everywhere)
      b. Oh and for what it’s worth noted baseball expert Peter Abraham said that I think the Sox should sign Josh because he ‘tries really hard’. Apologies on my part since I obviously thought that teams only consider a player ‘trying really hard’ when committing 75 or so million, not withstanding his 65-34 regular season record, him basically carrying the team to the 2007 WS title, the fact that he’s only going to be 31, ya Peter my apologies for not having the insight into a players makeup or the teams process like the ‘experts’ over at the Globe.
      HOLY CRAP IS CURT IN A FIGHT WITH INTERESTED READER?!?!?!

29. So I said today was gonna be a crappy day? It totally wasn’t. I subbed in an art class. So easy.

30. Reggie C. says:

So are the Rays thinking to move Carlos Pena if the team is stuck in third place at the trading deadline? Rays just signed Hank Blalock in a possible platoon DH role (rotoworld).

Any shot Boras lets Pena take a likely below-market extension from the Rays? Do you guys think the rays just let Pena walk at the end of 2010 if Boras is indeed determined to see Pena hit the market?

• Steve H says:

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they move him and try to move Crawford, though I guess it depends on what type of FA’s they’d be, they may just offer them arb and take the picks. That being said, I think the Rays window might be closed after this year (I see the Orioles leapfrogging them by 2012), so they may keep the team together to try and win, then throw out a $30 million payroll team next year with Pena and Crawford gone.

• Drew says:

Pena hasn’t made much money. No way he takes a team friendly deal. He bout to get paid.

31. Aj says:

Since some people are doing their fantasy picks…anyone have thoughts on my team? 12-team mixed Yahoo 5×5 league.

C – Russell Martin/ Miguel Montero
    1B – Prince Fielder
    2B – Jose Lopez
    SS – Jeter
    3B – Evan Longoria
    OF – Granderson
    OF – Adam Lind, Nelson Cruz, Alex Rios, Corey Hart, Jason Heyward

SP – Felix Hernandez, Jon Lester, John Lackey, Matt Garza, Jeff Niemann, David Price, Max Scherzer

RP – Heath Bell, Mike Gonzalez, Jason Frasor, Octavio Dotel

32. bexarama says:

if anyone’s really bored:
    Have fun.
    (there are plenty of walkthroughs if you Google)