Mar

Spring Training Game Thread: Let’s play two

The Yankees already won one game today, beating the Tigers at home in Tampa by some score that doesn’t matter. What is important is that CC Sabathia was the man on the mound, throwing his breaking balls for strikes and his fastballs by hitters. He tired once he approached his limit of 75-80 pitches, but that’s to be expected. Mariano Rivera threw ten pitches in a flawless inning, and Alex Rodriguez hit a ball that cleared the George M. Steinbrenner Field sign in left-center, making Jesus Montero‘s blast off the M look rather pedestrian.

As for tonight’s game, the half of the team that didn’t play this afternoon will take on the Rays on the road. Trade bait Chad Gaudin and Sergio Mitre will give it another guy as they try to stake their claim to the fifth starter’s job. Exciting stuff.

Here’s the lineup…

Gardner, CF
Granderson, LF
Swisher, DH
Posada, C
Winn, RF
Miranda, 1B
Pena, 2B
Laird, 3B
Nunez, SS

Scheduled Pitchers: Sergio Mitre, Chad Gaudin, Jason Hirsh, Amaury Sanit, and Zach Segovia.

Also scheduled to play: Reegie Corona, Colin Curtis, Reid Gorecki, Edwar Gonzalez, Jesus Montero, and Austin Romine.

First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm ET, and MLB Network lifted the blackout in the Yanks’ market, so the game is viewable by all. Enjoy.

Photo Credit: Mike Carlson, AP

1. Hughesus Christo says:

What does anyone think is being figured out by having Granderson/Gardnder exchange positions for 15-20 innings this spring?

2. bexarama says:

So did anyone see Tracy Ringolsby on MLB Tonight? WOW he said about fifteen separate dumb things, but they asked him who was going to be the Yankees’ fifth starter, and he said “Aceves, because the Yankees don’t care about the future and developing Hughes, but put Joba in the bullpen!!!”

3. So what are the chances Bartlett comes close to repeating 2009? 10%?

• Johan Iz My Brohan says:

I need to know this as well, he is on my fantasy team.

• Accent Shallow says:

Figure the BA will come down to .300 or below, and he never really hit for that much power in the minors, so probably that, as well.

How much? Can’t say.

4. Please show Miranda’s homer. That thing was epic.

5. Steve H says:

How did A-Rod get dirt on his shirt? That’s a little too gritty for him. Maybe he brushed up against David Eckstein?

6. Jose says:

Just a fact check from the chat:
    Someone asked “Shouldn’t Washington be suspended 50 games for taking a (I think) banned substace?” Mike responded “No, that’s the punishment agreed to by the MLBPA. Washington’s not in the union.”

Later on I asked “You said Ron Washington can’t be punished because he isn’t in the MLBPA. Wouldn’t he be a member as a manager?” Mike responded, “No, it’s the player’s association, not the manager’s association.”

I did some digging and found that in fact, “All players, managers, coaches and trainers who hold a signed contract with a Major League club are eligible for membership in the Association.” So managers like Washington can be in the player’s association.

The reason that Ron Washington cannot be punished has more to do with who the “Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program” specifically mentions. It says “Major League Clubs’ 40-man rosters” are covered by the policy. So just because you are a member of the union doesn’t mean you have to be punished. You have to be on the 40-man roster. This means managers like Washington could use a banned substance and not face 50 games of suspension.

• That’s interesting… I wondered about that (why Washington didn’t face disciplinary action), but never bothered to actually look it up. Thanks.

• Chris says:

Also, the 50 game suspension is for PEDs, not Drugs of Abuse. I believe the first offense for a Drug of Abuse (like cocaine) is being referred to a drug treatment program. Failure to adhere to the program or subsequent positives will lead to suspensions.

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

You would think cocaine would do the exact same thing as amphetamines.

It’s a helluva drug.

• Yeah, but coke is over in, like, 15 minutes to half an hour, max.

It would be pretty obvious if a player was vanishing into the bathroom between every inning and came out sniffling! Coke would be pretty useless as a PED for that and other reasons.

Amphetamines, on the other hand, last for up to 12 hours or so, depending on the type. There’s “greenies”, Crystal Meth (Methedrine), various diet pills, etc. etc.

• Jose says:

You are correct. “If HPAC determines by majority vote (or by a Fifth Member vote, if necessary) that a Player has failed to comply with his Treatment Program…” First failure to comply is “at least a 15-game but not more than a 25-game suspension.” They give quite a few chances for recovery.

• That’s fine, and a nice piece of research on your part, but there’s still no evidence whatsoever suggesting that he (or any other manager) IS in the MLBPA. So Mike’s initial take still stands.

Also, as someone who is very much a part of management in his duties with the team, I would imagine that no active managers have taken up the Union’s offer of eligibility.

• “That’s fine, and a nice piece of research on your part, but there’s still no evidence whatsoever suggesting that he (or any other manager) IS in the MLBPA. So Mike’s initial take still stands.”

Well no, that’s not totally accurate either. Mike said he couldn’t be in the union, not that he could be but we just don’t know if he is.

• “Couldn’t”? That’s just, like, your opinion, man.

Where did he say “couldn’t”? He said he’s “not in the Union” and nobody has established he is, then said “it’s the player’s association, not the manager’s association” which meshes perfectly with what I said.

• “Later on I asked ‘You said Ron Washington can’t be punished because he isn’t in the MLBPA. Wouldn’t he be a member as a manager?’ Mike responded, “No, it’s the player’s association, not the manager’s association.”

In saying that, Mike was saying that Washington can’t be in the MLBPA because he’s a manager and managers aren’t in the MLBPA. That’s not just my opinion, that’s the only reasonable reading of that conversation.

He said managers can’t be in the players’ association, and that’s not accurate.

• No, he really didn’t say that at all. He was just making a safe assumption. I think you’re reading in the rest.

• No. Look, I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be rude about this or anything, but I’m right and you’re wrong about this. And this isn’t a matter of opinion, there is a right and a wrong here.

The question is: Was Mike’s initial take correct?

Mike’s initial take was that Washington can’t be punished under CBA rules because he’s a manager and managers aren’t in the union.

You said Mike’s initial take stands.

I pointed out that his initial take wasn’t totally accurate because Washington may not be in the union, but it’s apparently not because he’s a manager and managers aren’t allowed in the union, as Mike contended.

(See the original conversation above, paraphrased below.)

Jose: Why wasn’t Washington punished?
                Mike: Because the punishments apply to union members, and Washington’s not in the union.

Jose: “Isn’t Washington in the union since he’s a manager?”
                Mike: “No, the union is for players, not managers. Managers aren’t in the union.”

Mike wasn’t saying just that there are no managers in the union, he was saying that only players are in the union and managers are not allowed in the union. Thus, what Mike said was not totally accurate, and in that sense his initial take does not stand… Meaning that what you said wasn’t totally accurate, like I said. There is a clear meaning attached to the words that were written, and that clear meaning is what I’m saying and not what you’re saying.

(I have to run so I won’t be able to reply further… But seriously… Even if you read this and still don’t agree… Read it again with a clear mind, without being annoyed with me for disagreeing with you or anything like that, and think about it again. I guarantee you, I am right about this and you are wrong. It’s no biggie it’s relatively trivial, but I’m right.)

7. handtius says:

Can someone tell me why Wheeler is starting the game…no cable…are they giving him a shot at starting, or is it a reliever game for them?

8. Is this a baseball game or a talk show?

9. Tom says:

Mitre 2 innings, no base runners, 3 ks. Trade bait ftw!

10. bexarama says:

24-9 over in D-Backs/Royals. How did I not know the Diamondbacks had someone in their system named Billy Buckner?

Also, as they can see from this disastrous start, they clearly need pitching. Such as Mitre. Mitre for Upton straight up. (How many times would Reynolds strike out in the AL East? I’m gonna guess a majillion bazillion.)

11. So my brother tells me there were some old Kansas City Monarchs guys at the UCF game today.

He then asked me if the Monarchs were ever an MLB team.

Ouch.

12. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Wow. Look at Shoppach! Doing what he’s supposed to be doing. What a pick-up.

13. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Great. We get to hear from the other boy genius of the AL East soon.

14. Swisher says damn the scouting reports.

15. bexarama says:

Dear Randy Winn,
    Your batting stance is silly. I will continue to say this.
    Love, bexarama.

16. Friedman kinda looks like a douche.

17. Hangoverologist says:

Damn, Miranda smoked that one. If NJ goes down, he’s the one to get the call correct.

18. Eduardo Nunez and I were born on the exact same day. Cool.

19. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Somewhere, Axisa smiles and nods his head.

20. I knew that comment was coming as soon as the fifth starter talk came up.

21. Isn’t it slightly ironic that Mitch Williams is giving mechanics advice/analysis?

22. NEVER.
    DO.
    THAT.
    AGAIN.
    CURTIS.

Thank you.

23. Shocking. The guy whose team is most hurt by having the two best teams in baseball in his division and has just missed the playoffs wants an balanced schedule and an extra team in the playoffs.

24. I know we usually don’t discuss politics here, and I don’t want to either. But from what you’ve been hearing/reading the past few weeks, do you think Heath Care will pass?

Just a yes or no. Don’t have to provide details, and it’s probably better if you don’t.

25. bexarama says:

That was like… a bloodcurdling scream

• bexarama says:

also of all the games of the 2009 playoffs, YES is gonna show… Game 3 of the ALDS? Whatever, it’s Andy, I’ll watch it.

26. “UPDATE, 8:42 p.m.: That’s seven strikeouts for Mitre, who has been awesome tonight. He’s facing a legitimate Tampa Bay lineup and he’s allowed two hits. Pretty impressive stuff.”

(in my best Bob Sheppard) Ladies and Gentlemen, starting tonight’s game, the 5th starter, Sergio….Mitre……Mitre….. number 5.

27. Ben says:

So more importantly, will any man not in a relationship see JayLo’s new movie?

28. If Nate Silver is correct, both the Democratic Party and the New York Yankees might be headed for tough times this fall. The ace political pollster/baseball analyst projects the numbers for 1,600 major league ballplayers in the current Baseball Prospectus 2010, and things don’t look good for the Yankees’ “Core Four.” Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada, Andy Pettitte, and Mariano Rivera average out at 38 years of age, and no team in the major leagues is anywhere near as dependent on four aging players as the Yankees are.

Based on the study of hundreds of players in their declining years, Silver projects these slides for the Yanks’ elders in 2010:

Jeter from a 2009 batting average of .334 to .286 this year, a drop in home runs from 18 to 11, and in stolen bases from 30 to 10. Posada from a .285 BA to .263, home runs from 22 to 12. Pettitte from 14-8 and an ERA of 4.06 to 10-11 and 4.70. Scariest of all, Rivera from 44 saves to 22, and and ERA the moves from 1.76 to 3.53.

If Silver is right, the 2010 Yankees are sunk. Worse yet, Steinbrenner and Cashman seem to have no plans for how to replace the Core Four. Last year we suggested that the Yankees were going to be in trouble if Jeter played at the level of a typical 35-year old shortstop. He made us look foolish by playing way above it. But what happens if age catches up to him this season? Where will the Yankees move him to, and who is ready to step in at shortstop? The problem hasn’t gone away, it’s just gotten a year older.

That bold part is the only thing I take issue with. Even with some age-related drop off for all 4, I think that just takes a 95-100 win team and pushes them back to the pack. But “sunk” as in 80-ish wins and a 4th place finish, is way too strong.

Jeter’s drop figures to be smooth, he’s not a free swinging power hitter type who tend to drop off drastically. Posada has at least 2 MLB ready replacements in Cervelli/Montero. While there will never be another Mo, one of Hughes/Joba should get the job done this year. I could try to make the case that Andy is done, but looking at his peripherals I can’t. Only red flag I noticed was his walk rate, but his WHIP was fine. That just tells me he’s a vet who knows how to pick his spots.

• bexarama says:

This article doesn’t understand how PECOTA works, and doesn’t Nate Silver not even do the projections any more?

• Accent Shallow says:

It’s really odd how Pettitte gets lumped in with the other three solely because he came up around the same time. He’s easily the most replaceable — Hughes and Joba are a lot closer to becoming him than they are to becoming Mariano, and none of the Yankees catching/SS prospects have their MLB experience.

• Rod says:

PECOTA is based on having a large number of similar players to compare with. There really aren’t a lot of comps for Mo, Jeter, and Jorge so I could pretty confidently ignore anything that PECOTA is projecting for those players. For that very reason, PECOTA tends to suck pretty badly for players at the extremes of performance but is really good with the vast majority of guys.

29. Alex S says:

ok so i have a fantasy draft in a few mins. H-2-H league with 10 teams. i have the first overall pick and outside of Pujols i have no idea who else i’m going to take. any tips?

30. Tom Zig says:

Hanley + 2nd round 1B > pujols + 2nd round SS

31. Riddering says:

The Belkin easy transfer cable is my new favorite thing. I remember last time I switched computers I had to burn to CD everything I wanted to move and then save it on my new computer.

Technology is groovy.

• You wouldn’t happen to have a netbook, would you? I’m wondering if I should get one. My screen on my blackberry is tiny, but with the I-Pad (and I’m sure a zillion clones) on the way I’m worried that whatever I buy will be hideously obsolete within a few months. Then I’ll have another piece of tech junk laying in my house that I never use.

• VO says:

I don’t personally have a netbook, but I hear that they are great. It all depends on what you want to use it for. I am personally not a big fan of the I-Pad it’s in essence just an over sized iTouch.

• Yeah, but it seems that everyone is looking to merge the Netbooks and the Kindle, so I’m wondering if I should wait 6 months and get that.

• VO says:

Like I said, it depends on what you want to do with it, if you already have a laptop, and an iTouch you are better off waiting the 6 months.

• Hughesus Christo says:

I’m kind of in the same situation. I have avoided all these devices because they’re going to be merged into one thing in the near future. That might be the iPad, that might be the uberKindle, that might be nook 2.0, the HP Slate, etc. I’m just gonna cool my jets in the meantime.

• Netbooks are great for browsing the web, e-mail, and reading the occasional Word document or .PDF file. Beyond that…not so much.

Forget it if you have to edit complex Word docs, Excel files with lots of VBA code/macros/complex formulae, or are a developer of any kind: web/database/Windows/Mac/Unix. Netbooks are way underpowered for any kind of heavy lifting.

Also, some people don’t mind the tiny screens, but many lose patience with them after a few months.

• Drew says:

Buy a laptop, unless you spend top dollar you’re spending for a trend that doesn’t have the power of a much cheaper lap top.

• You don’t need to pay for the Belkin thing. That capability has been built in to Windows since at least XP.

If you have a router, connect both PCs (new and old) to it, then, on one of the PCs:

START->ALL PROGRAMS->ACCESSORIES->SYSTEM TOOLS-> FILES AND SETTINGS TRANSFER WIZARD on Windows XP; on Vista, it’s called “Windows Easy Transfer”, but it’s in the same place.

If you don’t have a router, go get a special type of network cable called a “crossover cable” and plug one end into each of the network cards in the PCs.

If you have firewall/security software, turn it off temporarily on both PCs first; disconnect your router from the Internet for safety.

The software will ask which is the new PC, then will walk you through the transfer. It can take an hour or so, but it’s much easier than doing it yourself.

I do this stuff for a living…

32. mustang says:

Why I will never buy a Partial ticket plan from the New York Yankees.

After getting my 12-Game plan #1 a few weeks back I call my Co-artist (sale rep.) to try and exchange it for 12-Game plan #2 the dates fit better for me. I was told that my seats or anything equal to them were sold out in plan# 2, but they were upgraded ($$$$) seats open in plan#2. Of course this was a lie since I found out today that my section is wide open in plan#2.
    The topper here is that today I went online to score tickets that I had no chance of getting:

“The team hasn’t said how many tickets are available, but based on the number of season ticket packages sold, it won’t be many.”

Sales started at noon by 12:30Pm I had 2 tickets to one game for each of the 2 Red Sox series not cover by my plan and 2 tickets to one game in the Mets series.
    I will now sale the tickets I don’t want from my plan to break even and end my Partial plan relationship with the “Classiest ” Franchise in Baseball.

• VO says:

Buy some Pirates tickets.

• It’s not some conspiracy. Full Season tix get sold first, then partials, then single games. They did sell loads of full season plans, and we all know the expensive seats between the bases can be had. Not sure where he lied to you. Just because a few games had seats available doesn’t mean they had them for an entire 12 game plan, therefore he was telling you the truth.

In any case, with StubHub partial plans don’t make much sense anymore. You can always get last minute seats at face value.

• mustang says:

Not all partials are sold out he lie because I can go right now and buy what I asked for. They had my money and felt no need to accommodate a 6-year plan owner unless was going to send more.
        But your right I failed I just don’t want other to do the same.

• mustang says:

“StubHub partial plans don’t make much sense anymore. You can always get last minute seats at face value.”

That takes time and flexibly when you have kids, a long ride and work to plan around it just can’t be done.

• Drew says:

I understand things change rather quickly but.. if you had bought what you needed initially it wouldn’t be an issue. I know you don’t want to hear it but if they have to accommodate you, they have to accommodate everyone.

• mustang says:

Ok I didn’t make myself clear I was Issued Plan#1 not given a choice. When I called to try and exchanged it I was lie to and told it was sold out. Of course if I knew at the time that plan#2 was not sold out I would of cancelled plan1 and brought Plan2 later. But again I believed what was told.

• mustang says:

” if they have to accommodate you, they have to accommodate everyone.”

But the job of customer services is to try to.
        It’s ok the Yankees have been treating many of their loyal customer like shit for going on 2 years now. When the bandwagon stops, as it always does in sports, and the “now” fans get off we will see where things stand until then buyer beware.

33. Montero! Line drive double to left for The Jesus.

34. danny says:

“Still, Dustin Pedroia called the Red Sox an underdog these days. “I kind of always feel that way against the Yankees,” said Pedroia, his hand softly tapping his glove. “They got the highest payroll. And look at that lineup. They’ve got studs everywhere. Robinson Cano is one of the best hitters in baseball and they were hitting him seventh.” ”

oh please, i hate the whole underdog crap the sox always try to betray themselves as.

35. Darrelle Edwards says:

‘Cuse looking good early on.

36. bexarama says:

I just wanted to let everyone know that for some unknown reason I went to LoHud while somewhat tipsy last night (I think I wanted to see if they won the game/other random updates or whatever). I left a couple of comments. They may have been more coherent than the rest of the comments most people leave there.

37. Alex S says:

zOMG the deals are too good to be true! i just ordered some new nikes! lol