Apr

Montero goes deep again as Scranton falls

Kevin Goldstein called Jesus Montero the best hitter in the minors today, and rated him as the second base prospect in the minor behind Stephen Strasburg. Praise doesn’t get much higher.

Triple-A Scranton (11-7 loss to Buffalo)
Kevin Russo, 2B-3B: 2 for 5, 1 R, 1 K, 1 SB
Eduardo Nunez, SS: 3 for 5, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 SB – 8 for his last 14 (.571)
Juan Miranda, 1B: 1 for 3, 2 BB
David Winfree, DH: 1 for 3, 2 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB
Jesus Montero, C: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K – 7 for his last 21 (.333) with a double & two jacks … w00t
Chad Huffman, LF, Colin Curtis, RF & Robby Hammock, 3B: all 1 for 4 – Huffman got hit by a pitch, hit a two run jack & K’ed … Curtis got plunked & K’ed
Greg Golson, CF: 1 for 5, 1 R, 1 K
Romulo Sanchez: 6 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 11-5 GB/FB – 50 of 83 pitches were strikes (50.2%) … 11 BB & 9 K on the year … that’s not going to get it done
Zack Segovia: 0.1 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 1-0 GB/FB – 16 of 27 pitches were strikes (59.3%) … that’s 19 baserunners & 10 runs allowed in six innings … yikes
Kevin Whelan: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP – 18 of 32 pitches were strikes (56.3%)

Double-A Trenton (2-1 loss to New Hampshire)
Austin Krum, CF, Austin Romine, C, Brandon Laird, 3B & Kevin Smith, 1B: all 1 for 4 – Romine drove in a run & K’ed … Laird K’ed twice
David Adams, 2B: 3 for 4, 1 R, 1 2B – he had three hits in the last week, yet he’s still batting .370
Damon Sublett, LF: 1 for 3, 1 BB, 1 K
Reid Gorecki, DH: 0 for 3, 1 BB
Dan Brewer, RF & Luis Nunez, SS: both 0 for 4 – Brewer K’ed
Jeremy Bleich: 5.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 6 BB, 4 K, 6-5 GB/FB – he’s gotta get that control in order, otherwise he’s got no shot
Josh Schmidt: 0.2 IP, zeroes, 2-0 GB/FB
Eric Wordekemper: 1 IP, zeroes, 1-1 GB/FB
Noel Castillo: 1 IP, zeroes, 1 K, 0-2 GB/FB

High-A Tampa (3-0 win over Clearwater)
Abe Almonte, RF & Myron Leslie, 1B: both 0 for 3 – Almonte stole a base, scored a run & K’ed twice … Leslie drove in a run & K’ed
Jose Pirela, SS: 0 for 4, 1 K
Corban Joseph, 2B: 2 for 4, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K – six for his last ten
Bradley Suttle, 3B: 1 for 3, 1 BB, 1 K
Neil Medchill, LF: 1 for 4, 1 K – still waiting for his first homer after he lead the NY-Penn League with 14 bombs last year
Melky Mesa, CF: 1 for 4, 1 R, 2 K, SB – he’s got just seven hits this year, but only eight strikeouts as well … that’s a big improvement for him
Walt Ibarra, DH: 2 for 3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 4 SB - I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure four steals is a DotF record … it might tie the record, but I don’t ever remember seeing someone steal five in one game
Mitch Abeita, C: 0 for 2, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 E (throwing)
Adam Warren: 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 5-7 GB/FB – just 12 baserunners allowed in 17 IP … cutting right through these A-ball chumps
Pat Venditte: 2 IP, zeroes, 2 K, 1-3 GB/FB – 15 K in 9.1 IP
Jon Ortiz: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 1-0 GB/FB

Low-A Charleston (8-6 loss to Hickory)
Zoilo Almonte, CF: 3 for 5, 4 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 1 K – big night, but it’s tough to trump Montero in the post title
DeAngelo Mack, LF: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K
Luke Murton, 1B: 2 for 4, 1 2B, 3 RBI
Taylor Grote, RF: 0 for 5, 1 K
Kyle Higashioka, C, Hector Rabago, 2B & Kelvin Castro, SS: all 0 for 4 – Higashioka committed a throwing error & K’ed … Rabago K’ed twice … Castro scored a run & committed a throwing error
Jimmy Paredes, 3B: 1 for 4, 2 K, 1 E (throwing)
Rob Lyerly, 1B: 0 for 2, 2 BB
Sean Black: 5 IP, 6 H, 7 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2 HB, 11-4 GB/FB – 6-8 K/BB ratio in 14 IP
Michael Solbach: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1-3 GB/FB
Ryan Acosta: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 1-1 GB/FB

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. poster says:

“Montero goes deep again…”

…And that’s all I read. WHOOOO!

2. So should we just start counting down the days until Venditte and Warren get bumped up to the Dirty Jerz?

• Greg F. says:

I think we’ll see Noesi and Venditte promoted before Warren. He’s been damn impressive though.

• rbizzler says:

Might as well. Venditte really needs to be challenged, so they can find out if he has a shot at the show or not. Based on the scouting reports, he only has a slim chance but the kid deserves a chance to face tougher comp. Warren seems like he could use a challenge as well.

How long until the EST guys get the bump to Charleston? Is that when we see Warren et al get moved up?

• mbonzo says:

Well old scouting reports said he had a slim chance. He’s on a prospect track now which means they think a lot of him and expect him to be in the majors. Venditte has always impressed because of hes a switch pitcher but his stuff never appeared too good. He’s really impressed recently though and the scouts have changed their mind. You’ll see him in Trenton by at least mid-may. If all goes well they’re he’ll move up to Scranton after around 50 IP. Thats how the prospect track works.

• mbonzo says:

And sorry for spelling and grammar, I’m on the last few essays to close out the school year. Been writing nonstop for 10 days now. You think that would help my spelling and grammar but I just want to sleep.

3. zzzzzz says:

damn, montero is already hitting home runs off triple a pitching. that’s pretty awesome.

• Marcos says:

Actually, I believe it’s MLB pitching he’s hitting them off. If I’m not mistaken Kiko Calero was the pitcher who gave it up, and as far as I’m concerned, he’s a ML capable reliever.

4. IE says:

I know you are skeptical of Eduardo Nuñez but at what point does his bat, at least, become legit? He not just hitting singles and showed a bit of pop last year in Trenton. Obviously, the same side is small thus far in AAA but he’s stealing bases and getting some extra base hits. I suppose what I’m asking is, what’s his ceiling if everything goes right?

• Mike Axisa says:

I have no faith in him whatsoever. It’s still way too early for the numbers to mean anything. I think he’s the next Tony Pena Jr., that’s how little I believe in him.

• Accent Shallow says:

Does he have the arm to pitch?

Heh.

• mbonzo says:

So you’re saying he’s gonna be an awesome pitcher?

• CapitalT says:

Ouch – it doesn’t get much worse than that

• Nunez Lover says:

Clearly senseless hatred and a need to prove you were right. I suppose when he finishes the year at .350, you’ll still say he has no talent. The guy is 22 in AAA, mashing the ball, stealing bases, and playing shortstop. Small sample? Was .322/.349/.433 in AA at 21 a small sample? Or .271 in the notoriously difficult for hitters Tampa in 2008 at age 20? You may not like him, but the guy can hit, has speed, has some pop for his position, and plays the premium defensive position. If his defense was better, and he is young enough to improve a lot, he would be on the roster right now, since his bat is so much better than Ramiro Pena’s it isn’t even funny. At a certain point, I don’t give shit about the scouting report, the numbers tell the story. And oh by the way, the Yanks must think highly of him, inviting him to spring training the last two years, where, by the way, he mashed…

• Mike Axisa says:

Oh yeah, that .243-.286-.329 line he put up in 1,428 plate appearances from 2006-2008 must be a fluke. Last year’s .322 AVG with a .352 BABIP and some good ST numbers are the real Eduardo Nunez.

• Cult of Basebaal says:

Oddly enough, Nunez was just mentioned in Kevin Goldstein’s latest Future Shock Blog post:

Four years ago, Nunez was seen as one of the top position players in the Yankee system, but that was followed by a three-year stretch of little performance at the lower-levels of the system, all but dropping him off of most radars. He gained some attention with a bounce back in 2009 when he finished third in the Eastern League with a .322 batting average, and now he’s continuing to hit at Triple-A, going 8-for-14 in his last three games to up his triple-slash line to .370/.442/.522. He’ll certainly never displace Jeter or Cano in the middle of the Yankee infield, but he could be a valuable utility player as early as this year, as one could argue he’s a better bench option than Ramiro Pena.

• sleepykarl says:

I feel the same way. He looks good from the very brief looks I have of him, but I trust Mike’s analysis much more than my casual boxscore check.

5. IE says:

And by the way, do we have any word on Warren’s velocity?

6. Hughesus Christo says:

Kiko Calero f—ed with the Jesus, and lost.

7. ColoYank says:

Does anybody know if the Tampa manager has to plan further ahead and allow more time before bringing Venditte into a game? I mean, it must take longer to warm up two arms instead of only one.

8. Barry says:

So what’s the deal with David Adams? Potential or no? Obviously the Org. thinks something of him batting him 2.

• ColoYank says:

The word I heard used most often is “gamer.” Like most position players, his bat will carry him as far as it will go. Really good makeup scores on this one, not so much on the tolls/athletic side.

• Greg F. says:

Heh, I love his attitude and he is definitely a hard worker, but guys who go around saying stuff like, “I feel I am a great baseball player….I think I am one of the best hitters around” don’t usually get the “really good makeup” tag.

• Reggie C. says:

As far as what’s generally expected from 2B prospects, I believe David Adams can find himself on a ML roster in a couple years if additional improvement takes place. At the end of the day, if Adams’s ’09 success fully carries over to a great year at the plate in AA, the kid will be the best trade chip in the farm not named Jesus Montero.

9. YankeesJunkie says:

Creighton grads were legit tonight.

10. JobaWockeeZ says:

Ah Monstero. I seriously cannot wait for him.

/BurritoMicroWave’d

11. IE says:

Adams is legit but most evaluators feel he projects as more of an average to slightly above average major leaguer rather than a potential star. In other words, Robinson Cano has nothing to worry about.

• Accent Shallow says:

As much as we talk about Cano’s potential, he’s a star now. Adams would have to be a Montero-type hitter who plays D like Mazeroski to push him to another position.

12. YankeesJunkie says:

Nice to Montero off to a decent start, but man if he keeps it hot for awhile he is just going to get Yankee fans even more excited.

13. 2 HR’s in 2 days!!!!! This reminds me of a quote!

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you!

• Accent Shallow says:

14Who can open the doors of his face? his teeth [are] terrible round about.

15[His] scales [are his] pride, shut up together [as with] a close seal.

16One is so near to another, that no air can come between them.

17They are joined one to another, they stick together, that they cannot be sundered.

18By his neesings a light doth shine, and his eyes [are] like the eyelids of the morning.

19Out of his mouth go burning lamps, [and] sparks of fire leap out.

I mean, as long as we’re posting Biblical verses.

• Dorian says:

DOES HE LOOK, LIKE A BITCH?

14. Ben says:

In Mo We Trust, but The Jesus Saves our Souls

15. Accent Shallow says:

Wow, the Yankees sure lucked into that one.

• Accent Shallow says:

Wrong thread, please delete.

And while you’re moderating, could you change the verses in my previous post to blockquote? Pretty please?

16. A.D. says:

Nice bounceback for Warren

17. A.D. says:

Looks like some of the AA guys need to step it up and get promoted later this year to give Noesi & Warren a space to move up.

18. Jeffrey says:

Offensive and inappropriate comment.

I am not Jewish but I think that you should apologize or else refrain from posting on this site please. Maybe it just got away from you or you meant to put it in another way.

19. sleepykarl says:

Goldstein’s top 20 shockingly left out Casey Kelly(any Boston prospect for that matter).