May

Pettitte likely to miss next start with mild inflammation in left elbow

Update by Ben (6:04 p.m.): An MRI on Andy Pettitte‘s left arm has revealed “mild inflammation” around the elbow, the Yankees announced a few minutes ago. The team says the pitcher will be “treated conservatively” and “evaluated on a daily basis,” and Brian Cashman earlier said that Pettitte will probably miss his next start.

At this point, I believe that Sergio Mitre will take Pettitte’s turn in the rotation against the Tigers in Detroit on Monday. Despite allowing a two-run home run to Ty Wigginton, Mitre threw 2.1 serviceable innings today and is more stretched out than Alfredo Aceves. The Yankees, for what it’s worth, do not seem to consider Joba Chamberlain an emergency starting option this season.

With his win today, Pettitte improves to 4-0 with a 2.08 ERA, and no one wants to see Andy go down for long. The good news is that Pettitte’s elbow isn’t strained. Inflammation will subside with rest and treatement. Obviously, we’ll be following this story closely over the next few days.

* * *

After staying relatively healthy throughout April, the Yanks have seen a number of their starters go down with injuries. While Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera should be back soon, now it’s Andy Pettitte who ails. Marc Carig reports that Pettitte felt some tightness in his forearm during his start against the White Sox, and it flared up a bit again in the fifth today. Apparently he felt it in the upper part of his forearm this time (sorry, no one quite explained this well). He’s off to get an MRI.

Update (5:04 p.m.): Not to get everyone’s hopes up, but Dave Eiland just said “it’s no concern,” a half dozen times during his media meeting.

Update (5:28 p.m.): Though the team’s press office, Andy Pettitte said the following: “Anytime you’re talking about the area around the elbow, you start to worry a little bit. I think it’s going to be fine but I’ll know more after the MRI.”

Photo Credit: AP Photo/Kathy Willens

Categories : Injuries

1. Cam says:

It is definitely pouring right now, that’s for sure. Damn.

2. dkidd says:

i know there’s no such thing as a jinx, but this is ridiculous

3. JobaWockeeZ says:

The gods must hate the 5 Rings Club.

/refusestosaycorefour’d

4. Anksy says:

Crap! Damn you Sports Illustrated! Damn you to Hell!!!!

Is Jeter able to play shortstop in a bubble suit?

5. BigBlueAL says:

Apparently though the stiffness is not on the elbow.

6. bexarama says:

I was going to try and write something rational but I cannot. (sobs hysterically)

7. Double G says:

It’s not the cover, it’s age. :P

All will be well, fear not.

8. Tom Zig says:

Buzz kill

9. nathan says:

Its the friggin SI cover curse. Rivera, Posada, Andy are all nicked up.

10. Just to confirm: you guys don’t really believe in the curse, do you?

11. Rogue Trader says:

WHY WE TRADE AUSTIN JACKSON ZOMG!?!!11

12. I can has Joba in rotation, plz?

• bexarama says:

I am going to sound terribly bitchy saying this, but I don’t mean it in a nasty/snippy way: you shouldn’t be wishing this for right now. You should be wishing Pettitte is totally fine and can continue being very successful in 2010.

• Well, yeah, obviously I don’t want Pettitte to be hurt. I’m sorry for worst casing it already, Bex.

• bexarama says:

I figured as much, I’ve just seen people in other places genuinely wishing Pettitte or AJ get hurt so Joba will start. Joba starting probably isn’t going to happen this year and even if it was, I just don’t know why the fuck* you would want guys on your team to get hurt.

* pardon my French

13. Jobamania says:

so who starts if andy is indeed injured?
    i really hope its not mitre

we need JOBA

14. Dirty Pena says:

If the worst/only injuries we suffer are a few day to days, a start to start, and one guy on the DL for a month, I think we’ll be OK. All 25 guys could be day to day- it’s only May, who cares?

15. Hughesus Christo says:

JOBA TO TEH FIRRRRRRRRRST!!!1!!1!

16. FIPster Doofus says:

Dave Eiland just said on the post-game that Pettitte probably could have stayed in. Take it FWIW.

17. nathan says:

What innings number should Joba reach for us to realistically think they may entertain him as “starter who is in bullpen for now” as opposed to RP.

If he pitches 75-80 innings is that it. What if he hits 100, can we have hope.

• Dirty Pena says:

Unless he’s a “starter who starts sometimes” as opposed to a “starter in the bullpen,” there is a 0% chance he pitches 100 innings.

• Marcos says:

Now that I think about it, it would be a good move (if possible) to let Joba start this one, even if he’s on a pitch count, not only to get him some innings and help his development, but also as a sign of faith towards Joba.

18. nathan says:

With the off-day before the next series, Andy’s arm issue is gonnab the topic the next two days. Sucks.

19. bexarama says:

According to Andy through the PR guy for the Yankees, he thinks he’ll be fine but he figured the MRI is a precaution. He said it’s nothing like his past elbow/arm injuries, though he always wants to be safe with stuff near the elbow.

He was also angry that he couldn’t give the Yankees more innings. Which… I love him.

Source: YES.

20. mustang says:

Talk about the Sports Illustrated jinx 3 out of 4. Those that are dreaming of Joba I think Mitre and Ace should and would get their shots first. But you guys can dream

21. Steve H says:

Andy Pettitte’s MRI has been delayed for 2 days. Lebron James is busy using the MRI, for the 17th in the past 3 days.

• mustang says:

LMAO

• nathan says:

Lebron jerks off the media when Cavs lose to Magic Last year.

Lebron shoots left handed when the first round series with the Bulls is all over, making the post-media frenzy all abt him. He was hanging his elbow like it was on a sling and two days later he is ok.

Cavs lose game 2 vs Celtics he gets another MRI.

22. Warren says:

Yankees win game on May 5th (long way to go still) and fanatics start panicing.

normal situation for a web log.

23. Steve H says:

Michael Jordan was on the cover of Sports Illustrated approximately 82,767 times. The “jinx” really got him good, didn’t it.

24. Double G says:

Is the video of the post game interviews up anywhere yet? Want to see Eiland and Pettitte’s.

25. dkidd says:

eiland re pettitte: no concern
    peterson re zambrano: i could fix him in 10 minutes

/arbitrary comparison’d

//paranoid’d

///needs to cut back on caffeine’d

26. bexarama says:

no one wants to see Andy go down.

I admit: I didn’t get dirty thoughts on the “Pettitte feels stiffness” thing but I did on that. But mostly I just think he should be okay. ;_;

27. dkidd says:

nobody wants to see pettitte pull a wang…except my wife

28. bexarama says:

Per every beat writer on Twitter, it’s mild inflammation of the left elbow and will be treated conservatively. It’ll be evaluated on a daily basis.

• Michael Kay but not THE says:

yeah, I heard the mild inflammation thing too. I say let him take his time anyway, CC, AJ & Hughes are pitching well enough that they can stomach whatever Javy & Mitre do.

• bexarama says:

Yep. I’m expecting him to miss one start at least but keeping Andy healthy for the long run in 2010 and maybe beyond, who knows > one start, or even a couple of starts

29. steve s says:

I was at the game and Andy was clearly laboring in the 4th and looked out of gas in the 5th (so even though no one knew his arm was hurting he looked, body language wise, that something was up; I thought it was the heat). What is so important about pushing him to go 5 innings for the win once the coaching staff knew, or should have known, something was wrong? I don’t get that.

30. scoopemup says:

Andy did not get many innings in during Spring Training.Rest him,and bring him back slowly,and yes,this is a huge concern for the Yanks,who now have to go out and get an arm.Gil Meche anyone???

31. JobaWockeeZ says:

Ugh I’d so much rather have Joba in there. But it’s only one start so whatevs.

32. Poopy Pants says:

Igawa!

33. If it’s multiple starts and he does end up on the DL, I hope they let Joba get some starts, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

34. AndrewYF says:

Thank goodness we played the White Sox and Orioles while Posada and Rivera were down.

35. Mike HC says:

How bad does it get for Joba to start a game. Do we see Kei Igawa before Joba?

• The Big City of Dreams says:

I wouldn’t rule it out lol. For him to even get the ball there would have to be multiple injuries and as someone said we don’t want that to happen.

They really took a risk with the starting pitching depth this season.
      Gaudin and kennedy are on other teams
      Joba is in the pen
      Ace is a guy they probably don’t want to move

36. MikeD says:

—————–

Joseph, this might have been picked up already in the thread, but Javy was already scheduled to pitch on Monday as he was being skipped in Boston. I’m guessing Andy was supposed to go on Tuesday.

37. DSFC says:

Oh boy, a Sergio Mitre start! Boy did I not miss those….hopefully there’s only going to be one.