May

Tampa area high school named after The Boss

Although his appearances at Yankee games are limited mostly to Spring Training and the World Series these days, George Steinbrenner was on hand this weekend for the dedication of George M. Steinbrenner High School. Although he didn’t speak at the ceremony, he sat front row with his wife Joan and sons Hank and Hal, and received standing ovations from the crowd and school officials. Most know him as the brash owner of the Yanks, but The Boss pumps thousands of dollars into the community each year through donations and what not, often with zero fanfare. I’m happy to see him recognized for it.

Categories : Asides

1. EvoLuTioN aka Jobamania says:

this is great to see

thanks for the post Mike

2. Teix is the Man says:

Greatest owner in sports history, IMHO.

• Andy_C_23 says:

Agreed. No other owner comes close.

• Captain Jack says:

DA GREEN BAY PACKAHS OWNAHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a serious note, Jerry Jones seems to be doing a pretty good job running the Cowboys from a business standpoint…but since it’s the NFL it’s not as cut and dry as being a baseball owner. Even still, he’s pretty deep in The Boss’ shadow.

• Andy_C_23 says:

JJ is good but, as you said, definitely DEEP in The Boss’ shadow. But I hate the Cowboys with a burning passion so I could never give him too much credit; also I can never forgive him for talking shit on Parcells.

I’d also put Mark Cuban up there; not really sure why, but I love his antics.

• Captain Jack says:

I mean, what JJ is doing with his stadium is just unreal. 100K for a basketball game? That’s just sickening. Back in the day he was the NFL version of the Boss…now he’s seemed to transfer a lot of the organizational duties to his more reasonable level headed sons.

As to Cuban, hell yes. To get the Mavs in the same Dallas spotlight that the Cowboys are in is a mammoth achievement. Back in the 80s a Cowboys long snapper would get more attention in a Dallas night club than a Mavericks star…now it’s about even. It’s still a football town, it is Texas after all they like their violence and dislike the “types” of players that play basketball (if you get my drift), but the fact that the Cuban gets the Mavs the same attention that the Cowboys get is just ridiculous. He’s still probably my favorite Colbert guest…easily the best WWE Guest Host.

• Captain Jack says:

Also as to Parcells…he was right, always would call a draw on third and long…that and he gave Julius Jones waaaaaayyyy too much love.

3. yoo-boo says:

wow… he was not even a governor or higher. damn.

It would make Rays difficult to bolster the fanbase. lol.

4. gc says:

Strange, but if I wasn’t told that was him in that picture, I probably wouldn’t have recognized him. Is it just me?

5. JobaJr says:

I know someone that goes there haha.