Jul

Cano withdraws from Home Run Derby with minor back injury

Via Mark Feinsand, Yankees’ second baseman Robbie Cano has withdrawn from next week’s Home Run Derby citing a minor back injury. It’s unclear what the exact injury is, but if we’ve learning anything from Al Aceves’ plight, it’s that there’s no such thing as a minor back injury. The Yanks weren’t exactly in love with the idea of Robbie participating in the HR Derby, so I’m hopeful this is just a phantom injury designed to keep him out of the competition. Let’s see if he’s in the lineup tonight.

1. bexarama says:

Minor back injury = Kevin Long sat on him last night

2. Jose the Satirist says:

Just a coincidence that Kevin Long didn’t want him in the derby.

*shifty eyes*

3. Telling he hasn’t pulled out of the actual All Star Game, no?

4. CountryClub says:

Sounds like someone had a little talk with him.

5. LarryM, FL. says:

HR derby is great for the fans and players not performing but problematic affects occur for those particapating.

6. Ross in Jersey says:

After much statistical analysis I compete there is a 97.682% chance that this is a fake injury intended to keep him out of the Derby. Otherwise, wouldn’t the first report be how he’s out of the lineup tonight? Or going to the DL?

7. Gregorio says:

Im in favor, cause we need that bat to carry us to the playoffs, plus after overrated Pedroia got that MVP, our 2nd baseman is just as good if not better, and deserves a MVP trophy in his case…

8. AndrewYF says:

Can we get rid of the HR derby forever?

It’s one of the most boring things you could ever watch for three hours.

• Jose the Satirist says:

I enjoy it. I wish they would add some other skill events on the same day. Like a foot race or something.

• Mike HC says:

I don’t know about that.

Have you ever seen the “Free Willy” movies?

Or golf.

• Mike Axisa says:

Two things about this:

1. I enjoy it, but it could use some tweaking. Shortening it up, primarily.

2. I was at the 2008 HR Derby, and it was a freaking blast. I can see why MLB keeps doing it.

• brockdc says:

I disagree. The fact is, the homerun derby is perhaps the single most thrilling event in the annals of professional sports. Plus, during the 10-minute lulls in which we get to see $100 million athletes take shaky camcorder footage for their respective home video libraries, it gives me an opportunity to spin a personal interest yarn or two and to really showcase my cutting edge sports journalist chops.

Sincerely,

Chris “Back, Back, Back, Back, Back…Gone!” Berman

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

There should be a wifffle ball game instead.

9. Mike HC says:

I would have actually liked to have seen him in the derby as a fan. More exciting for me. Not a big deal either way though. If Long does not want him in it, he should not be in.

10. Guys, come on. I’ve suffered from Homerunderbyitis before. It’s debilitating. Leave Robbie alone.

11. VO says:

If he really had a minor back injury wouldn’t he have known about it before he agreed to go?

12. ShuutoHeat (GGBG > DP) says:

Phantom injury created by Cano because he is lazy.

Someone HAD to say it, let me be the one.

• brockdc says:

I’ll be surprised if Robbie even shows up in Anaheim. It’s a 3,000 mile journey, after all, and he won’t have the benefit of the Yankee team charter.

Plus, no Larry Bowa.

• Phil says:

Either A-Rod or Jeter will get a private plane to take all of the all stars to/from the game…if the tradition of the last 6 years holds up.

13. Riddering says:

Have to say I was looking forward to Cano raking. Damn you, Kevin Long! Damn you! /falls to knees, shakes fist at sky

14. Tim McCarver says:

This kid could win a batting title someday!

15. Poopy Pants says:

How about if we instead have a straight-up MLB Strong Man Competition?
    That way the rubes at home will know who is the strongest MLB player. It’s so important after all.
    We can have the dumb participants lifting cars and pulling trucks. THAT’s what makes a great player, right???