Jul

Game 97: Is today the day?

(AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

The Yankees head out on the road for the seven game road trip after today’s game, so if Alex Rodriguez wants to hit his 600th career homer in front of some friendly fans, he better get it today. Personally, I’d just like to see him get a curtain call and cheered and a video montage and all that jazz when he hits it, so I’m pulling for him to hit it today. I don’t want to see A-Rod get this milestone homer in front of 16,000 people in Cleveland, half of whom have no idea what just happened.

Today’s pitching matchup is a rematch of Tuesday’s, before Sean O’Sullivan was traded from the Angels to the Royals. According to Kim Jones on the pregame, he’s the first pitcher to ever start against the Yankees twice on the same homestand for two different teams. Remember guys, he’s probably throwing a changeup. Here’s the lineup…

Jeter, SS
Swisher, RF
Teixeira, 1B
A-Rod, DH
Cano, 2B
Posada, C
Granderson, CF
Gardner, LF
Pena, 3B

And on the bump, it’s Phil Hughes, who could really use a dominating start.

First pitch is set for 1:05pm ET, and YES will carry it. Apparently there might be a rain shower in the mid-afternoon. Enjoy the game.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Ken says:

“Apparently their might be a rain shower in the mid-afternoon.”

PLEASE – We are the New York Yankees – “Apparently THERE might be…”
    Let’s Go Yankees!!!!!!

2. Drew says:

Finally saw the RAB commercial!

3. Will (the other one) says:

Tex in July: .389/.489/.806. 806.

I know the BABIP’s a little (ahem) high, but…damn, man.

4. Mike Pop says:

His first at-bat, crushed to LF and he will watch and enjoy it.

5. Poopy Pants says:

I’d rather watch a commercial than segment 2.

6. Not Tank the Frank says:

I couldn’t stand the ESPN headlines from the last two days:

A-Rod Whiffs At 600 As Yanks Pound Royals

A-Rod Stuck At 600 For 2nd Straight Day

Two whole days without a HR!! OMG!! It’s like they’re STILL trying to facilitate this idea of A-Rod as a choker. But then again I hate ESPN and fully admit I’m ultra-sensitive.

7. Carlosologist says:

I wonder if A-Rod hits a HR just to get it over with.

8. Jack says:

Is today the day?

Tonight’s the night Tonight’s the night Tonight’s the night Tonight’s the night Tonight’s the night Tonight’s the night Tonight’s the night Tonight’s the night Tonight’s the night Tonight’s the night Tonight’s the night Tonight’s the night Tonight’s the night Tonight’s the night

/Papadakis’d

9. “I don’t want to see A-Rod get this milestone homer in front of 16,000 people in Cleveland, half of whom have no idea what just happened are still in shock from watching their formerly beloved LeBron James cut off his own testicles on national TV.

Fixed.

10. Steve H says:

TSJC in the last post you said that Joba>>>>>>>Man-Ban which I totally agree with. However, if the Yankees are resigned to keeping Joba in the pen, who would you rather trade then? I understand Joba as a reliever is still more likely to outproduce Man-Ban at the major league level, but if he’s resigned to the pen, Man-Ban’s upside>>>>>Joba, no? Tough call for me.

• I’d still rather keep Joba and move ManBan. Joba’s talent is obviously still there, and if he pitches better down the stretch or next year, even in the bullpen, there’s a chance he reestablishes himself and provides more value.

ManBan is awesome but his slight build and non-elite stuff lowers his ceiling considerably, IMO. He’s never been an untouchable in my book.

• Steve O. says:

Exactly. Joba’s value is significantly higher than ManBan’s.

• Now, having said that, I get the people who are saying we should make Joba the centerpiece of the deal instead of ManBan because that would enable us to include lesser secondary pieces (since Joba’s worth more). I have no quibble with that.

My quibble was with the people who wanted to trade Joba instead of ManBan in an otherwise identical package. Saying you’d rather deal Joba + Nova + crappy prospects instead of ManBan + Nova + better prospects, that makes sense. Saying you’d rather deal Joba + Nova + identical prospects instead of ManBan + Nova + identical prospects, though, that’s ludicrous.

If all other things are equal, we should include ManBan and not Joba. Because Joba’s better; always has been, likely always will be.

• Steve O. says:

Of course, all excellent points TSJC. I can understand people souring on Joba, but he’s in the majors and has a lot of potential. Now whether said potential is utilized correctly, well that’s another story.

Joba >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ManBan. Joba was a top prospect in all of baseball. You don’t and shouldn’t give up on guys that easily.

• smurfy says:

you guys need to get over your prejudice against bullpen value.

• Steve O. says:

In all actuality, bullpen guys just aren’t that valuable. That doesn’t mean GM’s value them that way. A guy pitching 50-70 innings is not that valuable unless it’s Mo-like.

• Jose the Satirist says:

Mo still only adds on average 2.5 WAR a year. A good starting pitcher is much more valuable.

• Mariano Rivera, career WAR (1995-2010): 36.0
            Jaime Moyer, WAR from 1995-2010: 37.9

Shit, a slightly above average starting pitcher is worth more. A “good” starting pitcher is worth MUCH more.

• smurfy says:

glad you brought that up! Mo was credited withy a 2.5 WAR last year, just less on the Yankees roster than Brett, who subbed for Melky and was out for 4 weeks. There is something wrong with the WAR measurement!

• There is something wrong with the WAR measurement!

Why, because it says something that you personally disagree with?

• smurfy says:

yeah, I’m not versed in WAR measurement, but this is prima facie evidence (though neither am I a lawyer). Go in the wayback machine and review Mo’s and Brett’s contributions.

• I did review Mo’s and Brett’s contributions. They both were excellent last year, and I have no problem with a value over replacement player metric that says they both contributed equal value to the 2009 Yankees season.

Mo was lights out, but he only pitched like 5% of the total innings thrown by the club last year. Brett Gardner played about 40% of the CF innings last year.

Mo’s brilliance in a really, really small portion of the Yankees season = Gardner’s solid production in a much, much larger portion of the Yankees season.

• Jose the Satirist says:

I smell an appeal to belief fallacy somewhere in your line of thinking.

• smurfy says:

Did Sophocles invent that? In his mother’s basement? Brett hit little, Mo pitched BIG!

• Mike Pop says:

That’s only because of the innings though.

For example – If Joba turned out to be only a pitcher as valuable as Jamie Moyer in the starting rotation, wouldn’t teams be smart to keep him in the pen? Because then he could probably be just as valuable in the pen as the rotation and they could bring in another SP who could provide the same value Joba was giving in the rotation but not another pitcher who could provide the same value Joba would give in the bullpen?

Does that make sense? At all? I’m rusty in talking baseball with smarter, more intellectual fans.

• Steve O. says:

A starting pitcher would have to be above replacement level(or average) to equal that elite value from such reliever.

Clearly, good starting pitching >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Good relief.

• boogie down says:

Well, starter value>>>>bullpen value. Bullpen value’s great if the pitcher doesn’t appear to have the capacity to provide even greater value by being a starter. Nothing wrong with bullpen value, it’s just that Joba shouldn’t be ruled out as a viable starting option, if he’s kept, since he’s never been given the proper time to develop as a starter.

Plus, I think Steve H is of the opinion that Man-Ban in a starting role (should he make the majors)is more valuable than Joba in a relieving role.

• ROBTEN says:

(should he make the majors)

This is the key. While we might speculate about Man-Ban’s future value, there’s so much that could happen between now and when he might make the majors that even as a reliever Joba has more value than Man-Ban. I really think TSJC put it most clearly in the above post:

• Gonzo says:

It’s all about value. Joba’s value is going to decline because he is in his arb years. If you think both ManBan and Joba both have a 15-20% chance of starting for the Yanks, you make the deal. If you think ManBan can become a good LOOGY in his pre-arb years, it’s a decision, but you might want to make the deal based on value alone.

• boogie down says:

Yup, totally agree. It’d be nice to keep Joba and still get Haren, though I don’t know if that’s possible. Either way, I really want to see Haren in pinstripes come 4 PM Saturday.

11. Mike Pop says:

Glad they have Gardner and Swisher back today.

12. smurfy says:

woo! Phil pitched well. Posednik maybe did him a favor, stirring up the adrenalin. But he pitched it smartly!

13. Carlosologist says:

I’m just thinking out loud here, but if the AZ economic situation doesn’t resolve itself in say nine or ten years (the rest of ManBan’s development (3 years) + his six years of team control) couldn’t we just sign him as a finished, successful product when he is 28?

• Mike Pop says:

Assuming he will get to that point, won’t be traded before he reaches FA and sign a long term deal with the team he is traded to. Or he could take a discount to stay with them, who knows. I think that’s getting a little far ahead, considering the rotation will be full of all the farmhands that will turn into nothing but aces. ;)

• I was thinking about this in a different vein:

If we traded Joba for Dan Haren, three years from now when they both hit free agency, would Joba consider resigning with us?

I mean, I know that if we wanted him back we could offer him more than anyone else, but I see the definite possibility of Joba Chamberlain the Arizona Diamondback saying “fuck you” to the New York Yankees and refusing to return here. There’s a little bit of a burnt bridge potential there where Joba would hold a grudge about how haphazardly he was treated while here and would eliminate us from contention.

• Gonzo says:

I totally think Joba will trash the Yankees’ handling of him if he gets shipped out.

• Yeah.

Now, I’m not saying that’s a reason not to make the deal, just spinning it forward for potential future ramifications.

• Gonzo says:

I can totally see ESPN eating that crap up and splashing it everywhere.

• boogie down says:

There would be more discussion about that than what Haren’s addition does to the Yanks push towards October. Never mind that acquiring an excellent pitcher and having him under team control for the next few years at a reasonable salary would be a coup.

ESPN blows.

• Gonzo says:

Couldn’t you see some jerk from ESPN saying this hurts their image to potential draft picks and IFA’s?

• ROBTEN says:

Well, it will probably be something like:

“I’m appreciative of my time in New York, but I am very excited to be here in Arizona since gives me an opportunity to start. I’ve been a starter my entire life and I’m glad that the Diamondbacks are giving me the chance to return to the role that I am most comfortable with.”

or, perhaps, it might be something like:

“grunt, fart, fart, grunt, grunt, fart.”

But we will all know what it means.

• Gonzo says:

Olney seems to thik AZ want him as their closer. So it might go something like this. Grunt, fart, charges anything red and moving, pees on the podium, grunts.

• Steve O. says:

Joba: I’m appreciative of my time in New York, but I am very excited to be here in Arizona since gives me an opportunity to star-

Josh Byrnes: We’re keeping you in the bullpen.

Joba: grunt, fart, fart, grunt, grunt, fart.

Josh Byrnes: Excellent.
            /Mr.Byrnes’d
            /Simpsons’d

• Steve O. says:

I can see this, but although he may seem like a headcase, he seems to like it here in NY. Eventhough the media jumps all over him, I think he would come back for a combination of media, money, and winning.

It seems very likely that they will keep him in the bullpen if the trade does happen, and I think he’ll grow sick of watching Arizona lose 90 plus games a year. This is all conjecture, so don’t kill me on this.

• Reggie C. says:

I’d think Joba would be grateful that he would have a shot at starting, which just doesnt appear certain if he stayed in pinstripes. Joba would most definitely consider re-signing with the Yanks if the price is right.

• Gonzo says:

I don’t think it’s automatic he becomes a SP if he’s traded. I think too many people are assuming that.

14. Jonathan says:

The Royals announcers have already called Betemit a good 3 hole hitter and talked about how O’sullivan leads the majors in run support….in ONE start….FOR THE ANGELS..as we know. Off to a good start boys.

15. Jonathan says:

They also just said Ankiel held his arms out to tell the crowd it was a routine out…I’m sure it had nothing to do with calling for the ball.

16. smurfy says:

Boy, that 89 mph staight fastball at the thighs tex took at 3 and 0 was a prize he should have jumped on.

17. Ross in Jersey says:

Okay so O’sullivan no longer falls into the “oh no a rookie” category, so can we please try to make him throw more than 10 pitches in an inning?

18. JV says:

here comes that lethal change up again

19. Jobamania says:

too many foul balls

20. Not Tank the Frank says:

A-Rod is not trying to hit his 600th HR. Oh no. It’s a QUEST for MAGIC!!

- Michael Kay

21. Kevin in Delectable Princeton says:

Two loud outs last inning, let’s keep it going A-Rod!

22. xnyles says:

Hughes needs a change up or a splitter , keep hitters unbalance.

23. Personally, I’d just like to see him get a curtain call and cheered and a video montage and all that jazz when he hits it, so I’m pulling for him to hit it today.

Even Rocky had a montage.

24. Accent Shallow says:

Would be nice for the Yankees to make this guy look like the scrub that he is.

25. BigBlueAL says:

The Yankees should forget about Haren and trade for Sean O’Sullivan. lol

26. Kevin in Delectable Princeton says:

O’Sullivan looks so smug in that gameday picture.

27. boogie down says:

Yeah, PAUL’s upset that there’s no Kim Jones segment, right, Kay? Liar.

28. Carlosologist says:

No, not Hughes!

29. Ivan says:

Wow Hughes, hope you are ok.

30. JV says:

is he ok?????

31. Poopy Pants says:

Back in business.

32. Accent Shallow says:

Nice eyes there, blue.

33. Dave says:

ROBOTS

34. Accent Shallow says:

A bomb to Podsednik? What the hell.

35. Ivan says:

WTF!!!!

36. Mike Pop says:

What the shit, Scotty Pods?

37. Carlosologist says:

Wait wait wait what the fuck just happened?

38. Jonathan says:

wow…we just got hosed TWICE in like 5 seconds…

39. Mike Axisa says:

What the hell just happened?

40. JV says:

wow hughes…wow

41. BigBlueAL says:

The Yankees should trade for Podsednik.

42. Doug says:

can’t put guys away…again and again and again

43. Jonathan says:

Jeter and Tex hit balls 70 feet farther than that and have nothing to show for it

44. Wes says:

“Paging…Dan Haren”

45. GermanYankee says:

are these umps from KC or why are they ruling everything in favor of the Royals? Just SICK!!

46. Pete says:

robots.

47. Reggie C. says:

C’mon Hughes. Get out of this inning.

48. Damn you, Scott Posdednik. STOP HITTING DUSTIN PEDROIA HOMERS!

49. Pat D says:

Just an extreme amount of unluck on that Podsednik ball.

50. Jonathan says:

anybody read this article that was on MLBTR? The moral of the story is to try and get an entirely new 25 man roster by the end of the trade deadline.

51. Poopy Pants says:

Why are people mad? Was that not a HR?

52. rek4gehrig says:

That being said this is the 2nd time Yanks are seeing Cy Sullivan in a week. They should get to him soon

53. Accent Shallow says:

Hughes has to put away horseshit hitters when they get two strikes. Too many foul balls and two strike hits.

54. Doug says:

can’t put guys away and lots of fly balls. not a good recipe

55. JV says:

come on offense!

56. Mike Pop says:

Curtis!

57. Ross in Jersey says:

Gardner would have hit a run run homer there.

58. xnyles says:

Grandy man can !!!!

59. Mike Axisa says:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Granderson. Teh A-Jax woulda hit a three run homer.

60. rek4gehrig says:

Here we go

61. Accent Shallow says:

So someone realizes that Sean O’Sullivan kinda sucks. Hope the rest of the lineup follows suit.

62. Carlosologist says:

Grandy!

63. Reggie C. says:

Finally! We’re on the board.

time for O’sullivan to come back to reality.

64. Not Tank the Frank says:

That’s what a home run looks like.

65. Angelo says:

Teh Granderson??!!?!

He can’t do that, he sucks. The Yankees should trade him when his value is lowest!

/stupidfan’d

66. JV says:

there you go grandy!

67. Positive regression to the mean, meet Curtis Granderson. Curtis, positive regression to the mean.

Well met.

68. Sweet Dick Willie says:

That would have tied it if we had robots.

69. Jonathan says:

And now we’ve hit 3 balls way past where Podsednik hit his. Too bad Tex didn’t hit a grounder to short that he beat out or we had someone on to steal and get thrown out but called safe (Podsednik/Getz) so we could have had a 2 run HR.

70. FIPster Doofus says:

Gardner will one up that by hitting two home runs and catching a fly ball in his hat.

71. Angelo says:

The auto-out is at the plate.

72. Not Tank the Frank says:

Really? Pork Grizzle Gardy??? You can’t take the trailer park out of him I guess.

73. Mike Axisa says:

I want to like Ramiro Pena, but he makes it so damn hard. That hit notwithstanding.

74. smurfy says:

woo, pena! and with a rolled up newspaper, too!

75. Accent Shallow says:

If Ramiro freakin’ Pena can hit you that hard . . . yikes.

76. Jonathan says:

Royals announcers are making fun of the fact that we don’t leadoff Gardner, even though we did lead him off Friday. Their reasoning is the OBP, even though their leadoff Podsednik has a career .341 OBP…

• xnyles says:

when was the last they went to the post season ? Who’s laughing now

• Not Tank the Frank says:

I’m annoyed and I’m not even watching it.

• Jonathan says:

The entire states of kansas/missouri have that sort of baseball intelligence. And me being a lifelong diehard Yankee fan…the let me know it. Of course there is no sense in arguing since logic is the Royal’s fan’s natural enemy/predator.

77. xnyles says:

Jeter ahhhhhhhh

78. boogie down says:

Yay Jeter.

79. Mike Axisa says:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaa they can’t hit Sullivan.

80. Angelo says:

Pena with the hussle!

81. Carlosologist says:

Jeterian double!

82. smurfy says:

oh, yeah, I likes that Pena!

83. Jonathan says:

We’re squaring up baseballs like Mitre was pitching…

84. Nice sign, Joe and Tony.

What, does the entire Yankee organization not own a single Sharpie? You’re writing it in tiny pencilmark that the camera can’t possibly pick up on a huge sheet of paper?

jsbrendog would have made a better sign than that in a couple of minutes. Oaktag, homie.

85. Reggie C. says:

Those were 2 damn fine throws. Good thing Pena motored all the way!

86. Doug says:

almost missed the plate

87. Alex S says:

jason Kendall did not even bother blocking the plate

88. JV says:

wooo tie game baby!

atta boy jete!

89. Jonathan says:

Nick’s struggled with runners at 3rd will less than 2 outs lately….I think he gets it done this time.

• Jonathan says:

obviously i was wrong…he goes for the 500ft home run…for a guy that gives himself up with a bunt so often….you’d think he’d cut down for the run…it’s just a bad approach.

90. xnyles says:

Guess those couple of days hurt his timing

91. xnyles says:

tex will walk and arod smacks it

92. smurfy says:

O’Sullivan showed a good curveball to Tex, it’s just that puny fastball that’s gonna kill him.

93. Doug says:

looks like a line drive in the scorecard

94. Mike Pop says:

Nice break, nice break.

95. Poopy Pants says:

Sexy bunt

96. smurfy says:

man, nothing like a cheap run for payback!

97. Vinny "The Bull" Scafuto says:

Dear BABIP,

Thanks.

Love,

Big Teix

98. Carlosologist says:

Tex is blasting line drives all over the yard and all he can is hit a little nubber? bust

99. Mike Pop says:

Atta boy, Alex.

100. xnyles says:

AROD hahahahaha scott u suck

101. Angelo says:

Alex is pretty good at baseball.

102. Jobamania says:

i was really hoping that turned into a inside the parker

103. Mike Axisa says:

Tex was so far out in front of that changeup it’s not even funny.

104. smurfy says:

Tex was motoring like a Mack truck.

105. BigBlueAL says:

Arod with a double instead of #600. He is pressing too much….

106. JV says:

damn so close!!!!!

107. rek4gehrig says:

Hey Sull, welcome to the Big Leagues

108. Not Tank the Frank says:

I love it. He’s just keeping his swing level and not getting caught up in trying to kill the ball (other than the 3-1 pitch Bannister threw in the first game).

109. Jobamania says:

how many runs over replacement(meacham) has robbie thompson been worth?
    love the guy

110. boogie down says:

No #600? I’ll happily take #470.

111. smurfy says:

Hey, remember once a week Pena started it!

112. FIPster Doofus says:

If waterboarding existed in commercial form, it would be that Ben-Hur ad.

113. Mike Pop says:

Bonds, Willie Mays, and Dawson.

114. boogie down says:

Kay’s never had soup? That’s crazy talk.

115. Carlosologist says:

The answer: Barry Bonds, Bobby Bonds, and I can’t think of the other.

116. Jobamania says:

holy fuck that was a BOMB

117. Carlosologist says:

pzzzz Ankiel

• Accent Shallow says:

See, I am mad. You throw a fastball middle-middle to a dead fastball hitter? That’s basically what you should expect to happen.

118. nathan says:

Does any site have a running link that tracks the # of Fastballs, curves and other breaking balls. I want to see if Hughes has featured any Changeups this start.

119. Accent Shallow says:

*shakes head*

120. Reggie C. says:

ANKIEL DESTROYED THAT PITCH.

Mammoth shot.

121. BigBlueAL says:

Kay gets 500X more excited for other team’s HR’s than the Yankees.

122. Mike Pop says:

Moonshot.

123. Jobamania says:

terrible pitch by hughes

124. JV says:

damn hughes
    you have been getting bombed way too much lately

125. smurfy says:

I hate it when Michael Kay almost comes over long homers, but Ankiel is impressing me today.

126. cjc says:

that might be the hardest hit ball I ever heard god damn

127. MikeD says:

No soup? I love soup. I’ll have soup on a blistering hot day. Kay’s eating habits are truly odd. I remember the CenterStage show where he told Emeril Lagasse that he’s never even had a condiment, even on a burger.

128. Jonathan says:

ankiel just hit a pitch 200 ft farther than Podsednik’s HR.

129. Pat D says:

Hughes just can’t seem to stand prosperity. Don’t think he’s going more than 6.

130. B-Rando says:

Damn…Hughes having some trouble finishing guys off again

I’ve seen a decent amt of change ups, and curves thrown. He’s thrown a few curves in 3-2 counts so he’s trusting his pitches…theyre just not putting guys away

131. Jonathan says:

his curve is like a slurve today, he’s getting around it and not on top and extending to finish…it doesn’t have that late sharp break to put guys away.

132. Jonathan says:

Frank White just called Yankee Stadium a small stadium…not the porch..not the lines..the entire park.

133. Carlosologist says:

Tex’s moonshot in May was so much better than that one. That one bounced into the luxury level. http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play......id=8032107

134. smurfy says:

Washout rain in Budd Lake, but it’s 40 miles to the stadium.

• Pat D says:

Hey, my family always used to go to the Budd Lake Diner!

But I live in PA now and it’s pouring here too.

• MikeD says:

Hmmm, I’m hearing thunder and I live about fifteen miles from the Stadim as the crow (or pick your bird) flies.

• B-Rando says:

I grew up in Budd Lake…lived in Boston the past 5 years cause thats where I went to school. Still come home every month or so to see the family.

• smurfy says:

Did you play Little League behind the school? Field is in great shape!

• B-Rando says:

Behind Budd Lake school? absolutely. I loved playing there, especially at night. I umpired there quite a bit as well after I was done with little league.

135. Jose the Satirist says:

Arod has gone 12 PA without a HR. What is Michael Kay talking about? He needs to chill with the HR going to his head business.

136. smurfy says:

Grandy for Ankiel, quick, before they leave town!

137. Mike Axisa says:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I want A-Jax.

138. Mike Pop says:

143. Ross in Jersey says:

Where is muffindick!

144. Accent Shallow says:

AUS-TIN JACK-SON

Oh . . . wait.

145. ZZ says:

Grandy’s hands are incredibly fast on the inside part of the plate.

It’s why for someone who is really not that big he can generate a ton of power.

146. Adam says:

Encouraging stuff from C-Grand…

147. Jack says:

Lets try this again:

Curtis Granderson is the bustiest bust that ever did bust.

148. Reggie C. says:

C’mon Ken. Pena a .270 hitter? Dont see it.

149. smurfy says:

The home plate sounds are suffering again. When Ankiel smacked it big, it clearly sounded like a rubber band smacking the old used cardboard box.

150. swisher's fauxhawk says:

Let’s go to Ollie Williams for the Blackuweather forecast.

ITS-GON-RAIN!

Seriously though, check out the weather radar.

151. Mike Axisa says:

Three outs, then it could rain.

• Ross in Jersey says:

You’d think with Hughes not having his best stuff and the impending weather, they’d take a few pitches. Then you remember they’re the Royals.

152. Dave says:

Plz 5 inning Hughes Win.

153. boogie down says:

Wait, does Kay not like milkshakes either? It’s been established that his eating habits are weird but I don’t think I can handle his oddities anymore.

154. rek4gehrig says:

Let it rain

155. Dave says:

Wow at the FB-GB ratio.

156. Accent Shallow says:

Would be nice if Hughes could get through the 6th without giving up anything further.

157. Air Traffic Controller: This fog’s getting thicker.
    Johnny: And LEON’S getting LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGER!!!!

158. boogie down says:

My prediction: A-Rod will hit #600 and the heavens will open up. It will be The Natural-esque.

159. Accent Shallow says:

So, what’s Jeter’s OBP by the end of the season? .360? .370? .325?

160. Jobamania says:

Gardner/Jeter leadoff platoon makes so much sense, why can’t we see it regularly? Gardner crushes rightes, jeter crushes lefties

• Ross in Jersey says:

They’re clearly wary of putting Gardner higher in the lineup. They point to that stretch earlier (around inter-league time) where they moved him up to 2nd and he had his worst stretch of the season as evidence of him not being ready.

161. Adam says:

Ahh, Wilson…thanks again for your indomitable trade value.

162. Pat D says:

I swear, if I miss ARod hit a home run because it’s raining and the satellite went out…

163. Jonathan says:

Now the announcers are making fun of John Sterling…

164. Jobamania says:

lets go alex! bring em home

165. Dave says:

Lol of course my YES feed cuts out.

166. Mike Axisa says:

Going to swing out of his shoes 2-0.

167. Poopy Pants says:

Mine too.

168. Jobamania says:

oh god hope arod is okay

169. Jonathan says:

Anyone else notice that O’Sullivan shaves or nairs his arms????

170. Total Dominication says:

Thank god!

171. Jobamania says:

oh damn that was a perfect pitch

172. Angelo says:

Ahhh, Alex was right on that!

173. swisher's fauxhawk says:

Ahhh, just missed it.

174. Jobamania says:

did Kay just said “blow the lead” ?

175. Jobamania says:

why is jeter stealing -.-

176. Nice play by Derek. If you get thrown out, Alex gets to start his AB over.

177. NO ALEX YOU SUCK SO MUCH WHY DON’T YOU GIVE ME WHAT I’M ENTITLED TO AS A FAN AND HIT A HOMER ON MY COMMAND!?!??!??!

178. Mike Axisa says:

Another complete and utter failure by Alex.

179. Ross in Jersey says:

HIS BAT LOOKS HEAVY, ONCE A CHOKER ALWAYS A CHOKER

/postsfrom2009

180. boogie down says:

Boy, the “Solid to the Core” part of the Yankees-2010 commercial is mighty cheesy.

181. Pat D says:

People in the boogie down will soon be scurrying around.

182. bonestock94 says:

I’m half hoping that Arod doesn’t hit a hr for a couple of days just to see the NY rags go crazy.

183. Jobamania says:

So in other news, what is Magglios contract like? isn’t it something around 500 at bats and his pricey option becomes guaranteed? Did the tigers catch a slight break?(although he was a very valuable player this year)

• Accent Shallow says:

It was 135 starts this year, so the Tigers absolutely dodged a bullet.

• Pat D says:

Neyer blogged today that it’s pretty much a guarantee it doesn’t trigger now. Said that it’s good for the 2011 Tigers, not so good for the 2010 Tigers.

• Carlosologist says:

Per Cot’s:

2011 option guaranteed at $15M if Ordonez has:

* 135 starts or 540 PAs in 2010, or
      * 270 starts or 1,080 PAs in 2009-10″>

184. swisher's fauxhawk says:

Don’t be mean to the clouds, Kay. They have feelings too.

185. Adam says:

Umm, is it an Otis Nixon cloud?

186. Accent Shallow says:

Nice pitch from Hughes, there. Tough to lose a guy you start off 0-2.

187. boogie down says:

Back to the Future = GREAT movie

• Speaking of which, did you see this Joe Posnanski post “The 100 Best Movies I’ve Ever Seen”?

Interesting. I’m compiling my own personal 100 now (since I’m bored).

• Pat D says:

Here’s mine, if you’re interested.

I still haven’t been able to decide on #’s 95-100 though.

• Nice. I’m only 33, so my list skews much younger (I know Casablanca and Citizen Kane are great movies, and I’ve watched them, but they just don’t resonate with me personally the way movies of my era do).

I started just listing movies with the intent of culling the list to 100 later, but I haven’t done that yet, so my list is currently at 116. And I’m sure I left out some movies. stupidly.

2001: A Space Odyssey
          Up in the Air
          Waiting for Guffman
          Wall-E
          Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
          Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

• Pat D says:

Austin Powers 2 being on JoePo’s list really, really hurts it for me.

• boogie down says:

I’m compiling a list of movies I need to see. Extensive, as you can imagine, but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

• Ross in Jersey says:

(Marty) – Doc, you’re not gonna believe this! We have to go back to 1955!

(Doc) – I don’t believe it!

188. Poopy Pants says:

I hate the YES sad music.

189. Ross in Jersey says:

Ever since George passed, there have been some of the craziest thunderstorms ever around here. He must have found Billy….

190. Jobamania says:

weathermap not looking good
    freebie CG win for hughes?

191. Poopy Pants says:

Nancy Newman trips over words worse than Tim Meadows on SNL.

192. Ross in Jersey says:

Oh no, the Mets lost John Maine. Who would have thought going into the season with him and Ollie as your number 3 and 4 starters wouldn’t work out?

193. ZZ says:

I think a little bit too much is being made of how much Hughes struggled today.

He didn’t walk anyone and the only really hard hit ball was Ankiel’s HR.

That SB was an awful, awful call and then Podsednik was late on a pitch and sliced a HR that happened to catch the foul poul.

• Who is making a big deal out of Hughes’s struggles? I didn’t even know people were saying he struggled until you mentioned it.

• Accent Shallow says:

He wasn’t cover-your-eyes bad, but he continues to have issues with putting hitters away — lots of foul balls, two strike hits, and full counts.

• B-Rando says:

I agree with this.

He is getting ahead of hitters, and then letting them linger and continuously finding himself giving up two strike hits, or throwing several pitches in a full count.

To me that is the one area he can really make great strides to improving.

• Billy says:

My god people relax. No he didnt have his best stuff but he continued to battle and kept the Yanks in the game all day. Pitcher arent going to have his best stuff everyday just like CC didnt his last start. He battled with mediocre stuff and won the ball game for us. That’s all we ask for. Jesus.

• nathan says:

I think he is a good pitcher who has the ability to become a great one. The next big step that will make him take that leap is developing the ability to put hitters away — here I need to point he is not Joba in putting people away, but he can get better — if he does that while improving his changeup, oh wow do we have an ace on our hands.

• smurfy says:

that changeup might be just what he needs: more variety to “put ‘em away,” though it’s pretty rare to find control of that pitch to throw it on 3 and 2, and have it break a lot. I don’t get why he doesn’t get them with his curve. On a good day he can throw a fine hammer-strike.

194. Carlosologist says:

I think there are two suitors left for Haren: Us and St. Louis. Detroit could be considered out because now apparently they’re trying to acquire Adam Dunn to replace Magglio’s .375 wOBA.

• If the Cards crumble and surrender Shelby Miller, Arizona should leap all over that like LeBron James jumped on Dwyane Wade’s coattails.

Miller is the single best prospect mentioned in any of these rumored packages. Yes, better than Joba.

• Reggie C. says:

Yep. Cashman can’t control what other teams offer, especially if someone like Shelby Miller becomes available. St. Louis is in win-now mode as Pujols could be leaving down the line and Chris Carpenter is already 35 yrs old.

Pujols upcoming extension can be a big roadblock though if Arizona doesnt want to pay any of haren’s money.

• nathan says:

I dont think we are getting Haren. We are more likely to get a decent bullpen arm and a moderate-to-good bench player. Frankly, thats all we need.

• phughesisgod says:

Agreed. But we need more than 1 bullpen arm and more than 1 bench bat. I would love to acquire Ty Wiggington and someone else like Peralta or someone for the bench and then get like 2 bullpen arms like a Scott Downs and a Leo Nunez or Joakim Soria.

195. mbonzo says:

So I knew the Met game was on at 4 and I went to put it on but I can’t find any broadcast for today. Their schedule just says its available on MLB.tv. I knew they wwere playing bad, but SNY won’t even pick up this game.

196. pat says:

Word on the street is 5:45.

197. Pat D says:

Logan, Park or Robertson?

198. Pat D says:

Looks like Logan.

199. With Magglio and Carlos Guillen hurting, the Tigers seem like the perfect match for trading for Jose Guillen. He provides them with the thump they lose, and wouldn’t cost a real prospect (if they absorbed his salary), enabling them to continue their pursuit of Oswalt or Haren.

200. Carlosologist says:

And it’s back. Logan looks like he has stuff today.

201. I like this new Boone Logan. Since coming back up from the minors, he’s up to a K per inning and only a walk every other inning. .263/.349/.395 against and a 2.70 ERA.

Not great, but not horrible.

202. Not even the ferocity of nature can stop Robinson Cano.

203. JLew says:

Betancourt is a GOOD fielder, per Singleton

204. pat says:

What a terrible relay throw.

205. Crawford? We don’t need no stinking Crawford.

206. pat says:

Hahah shit, that was the definition of a hanger.

207. Accent Shallow says:

Farthest Pena ever hits the ball?

208. Ross in Jersey says:

That’s as far as Pena has hit a ball, ever.

209. JLew says:

That Pena flyball was 70 feet longer than Scotty Pods.

• Jonathan says:

copy cat!!!

• JLew says:

Just emphasizing that the immortal Ramiro Pena outslugged the legendary Scotty Pods today. Somewhere Hawk Harrelson is crying.

• Jonathan says:

haha i was joking but right after Pods hit his HR, 9 hours ago, i said Jeter and Tex have hit two balls 70ft farther than Podsednik and they were outs. great minds…apparently.

210. Jonathan says:

Royals announcers killing Pena for taking off early. Pena couldn’t get a hit by himself and didn’t think he could ever get a hit off the esteemed HOF bound legendary Dusty Hughes and he was trying to get to 1st as fast as possible. You don’t get any more bonus money or points that the Yankees like so much for getting to first fast. You should always wait. And they said Rick Ankiel just outran that ball…..Ladies and gentlemen….the announcers apparently got drunk during the rain delay. Drunk+Stupid=Royals.

211. Ross in Jersey says:

If Logan keeps pitching like this he may never get DFA’d. Frankly, I’m shocked he’s doing this well. Granted it’s the Royals but… still.

212. Mike Axisa says:

I’ve been hard on him all season, but very nice job by Boone Logan. Well done, sir.

213. bexarama says:

Who is this person and what has he done with Boone Logan???

214. Total Dominication says:

Boone Logan, being, good?

215. Logan, pre-demotion:
    13 appearances, 49 BF, 10.2 IP, 13 H, 7 BB, 6 K, 1 HR, 6 R (all earned), 4 inherited runners (none scored), .310/.408/.452 against, 5.06 ERA

Logan, post demotion (entering today):
    6 appearances, 43 BF, 10.0 IP, 10 H, 5 BB, 10 K, 1 HR, 3 R (all earned), 6 inherited runners (one scored), .263/.349/.395 against, 2.70 ERA

216. Hummingbird S. says:

that’s some nice work by Logan..

217. Jonathan says:

The royals announcers said the only reason Logan got the the majors was because of his arm angle. Now i know Logan isn’t our prize bullpen piece, but I think monster big lefties that throw in the mid 90s don’t need much help to get to the majors.

218. Ross in Jersey says:

4 straight appearances in which Logan hasn’t walked a batter.

219. Mike Axisa says:

Kanekoa Texeira is about to face Nick Swisher. Odds the YES announcers mention the connection between the two? Probably zero.

220. Total Dominication says:

Why is Joba up instead of Robertson?

221. Tom Zig says:

Jeter says eff yo couch

222. Total Dominication says:

YUnuski Betencourt, not a terribly good baseball player.

223. bexarama says:

I don’t think he actually avoided the tag. Yankee fan and all, but #robotumps

224. Carlosologist says:

A-Rod gets 600 in Cleveland and no one will know it happened.

225. Total Dominication says:

Bust.

226. Jonathan says:

I know Frank White played in a “different era” but don’t you think it’s a little much to retire a guys number and put him in your “HOF” who has a career .675 OPS and a 68% or so SB success rate? I know he had a smooth glove but that’s ridiculous. Career .255/.293/.393…

227. jddzip says:

Can Ankiel play 3rd/ss?

228. Frigidevil says:

Bold prediction: Arod will hit 600 on Wednesday against Fausto Carmona, because Fausto is among the best baseball names of all time.

229. Is it wrong for me to wish that Joba tweaks a hammy or something here to miss a month or so and scuttle the possibility he gets traded?

230. Ross in Jersey says:

And Joba walks the leadoff batter with a 4 run lead. Infuriating.

231. Jonathan says:

DAN HAREN….FIRST…(I don’t want him traded bu geez…lead off walks to Chris Getz?

232. Ross in Jersey says:

Welp, can’t use bad luck as an excuse there.

233. Tom Zig says:

Joba you are worthless.

• Blessing in disguise.

Kill the trade value now to prolong your career in pinstripes with the glorious bounceback later. Joba’s a genius.

• ARX says:

If only prolonging his pinstripe career meant being a starter…but frankly at this point I think his best shot to be a starter long term is to get traded, so I’m kinda hoping for that.

• Chris says:

Yankee Relievers ranked by FIP this season:

1. Mariano Rivera (2.21)
          2. Joba Chamberlain (2.67)
          3. David Robertson (3.72)
          4. Sergio Mitre (4.26)
          5. Boone Logan (4.56)
          6. Chan Ho Park (5.12)
          7. Damaso Marte (5.26)
          8. Dustin Mosely (5.73)
          9. Chad Gaudin (5.92)

Yankee Relievers ranked by xFIP:
          1. Mariano Rivera (3.08)
          2. Joba Chamberlain (3.33)
          3. David Robertson (3.86)
          4. Chan Ho Park (4.09)
          5. Boone Logan (4.56)
          6. Dustin Mosely (4.70)
          7. Sergio Mitre (4.99)
          8. Chad Gaudin (5.44)
          9. Damaso Marte (6.03)

AL Relievers with at least 30IP ranked by BABIP:
          1. Joba Chamberlain (.405)
          2. Bobby Jenks (.402)
          3. David Robertson (.388)

The bottom line is that Joba has been pretty good this year, but he’s gotten very unlucky on balls put in play.

• Poopy Pants says:

But the Yanks are selling high on him!!!!

234. swisher's fauxhawk says:

Joba.

235. Alex S says:

jeez Joba, man up!

236. Kevin in Delectable Princeton says:

SCOTT POSEDNIK. WHY GOD, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?!?!?! I’m okay now.

237. smurfy says:

Podsednik’d

238. Jobamania says:

wat the fuck?

239. Pat D says:

Yikes.

240. Angelo says:

This Podsednick guy can really hit some homeruns! Light tower power.

241. Carlosologist says:

Aww, we can’t make fun of Podsednik anymore.

242. All Star Carl says:

Why is this guy still in the Majors?

243. xnyles says:

TRADE HIM

244. V says:

Ladies and gentlemen – the player the Yankees REFUSE to trade to Arizona for Dan Haren. Joba Chamberlain.

245. mike says:

How much longer??

246. Mike Axisa says:

I’m pretty sick of Joba.

• Jonathan says:

there has to be a confidence/drinking/weight/mind/arm issue right???? I mean he’s 24…how can it go away that fast? I still say his shoulder isn’t right.

• V says:

He can’t repeat his mechanics. At all.

You usually have those guys in the minors, working on things.

But not on the Yankees. :shrug:

• Jonathan says:

ya but don’t you think it’s possible he can’t repeat his mechanics because he’s put on too much weight or his shoulder is bothering him. I was a pretty good baseball player before a brain injury and 11 surgeries including 6 on the should/shoulder blade and before i had the surgeries…you have to throw WAY different to not have your shoulder explode.

247. bexarama says:

Seriously? Sigh. Just get the next three guys please.

248. Mark says:

HE’S A RELIEF PITCHA!!!

249. The Infamous Irondequoit says:

Quick. Trade him before the D-Backs don’t want him anymore.

/Joking

Or am I?

250. Pat D says:

Anyone hear what they were chanting? Was it “throw it back” or something pertaining to Joba?

251. Dave says:

Joba. Sigh.

252. Apollo22237 says:

Robertson to teh 8th!!!

253. ZZ says:

Joba lands in a different spot on almost every pitch he throws.

254. Accent Shallow says:

1/3 on retiring shitty hitters thus far.

255. Carlosologist says:

IMO, what the pen should look like:

Long RPs: Moseley and Gaudin
    Mop Up RP: Park
    7th: Albaladejo
    8th: Robertson
    Closer: Mo

• Pat D says:

Except Albi’s back in Scranton.

• Dave says:

+1 with maybe romulo worked in there somewhere

• Accent Shallow says:

Three questions:

1) You only have six relievers — the Yankees typically carry seven
      2) Where is Joba in all this? The minors? Some other team?
      3) Why is Chan Ho Park still here, over Logan and Joba? At least those two have a non-zero chance of not sucking the rest of the year.

• Carlosologist says:

I forgot the LOOGY. I’m of the belief Joba can achieve his ceiling out west in the desert. You’re right, I should get rid of him.

Stretch run pen:

Long RP: Mitre and Aceves (assuming Ace makes it back with no complications)
        Mop Up RP:
        LOOGY(s): Marte and Logan
        7th: Albaladejo
        8th: Robertson
        Closer: Mo

• The Infamous Irondequoit says:

I really like the way you think.

256. pat says:

Hey, Posada didn’t that that one away. Progress!

257. JLew says:

SCOTTY PODS FOR DH!

258. Tom Zig says:

Yup keep Joba out in the 8th inning. Great idea.

259. The Infamous Irondequoit says:

You know you’re bad when my mother who knows little of anything about sports shouts at the TV saying:

“Why didn’t they trade him?!?!”

260. bexarama says:

After that HR, he was really good. I rarely say stuff like this but the dude is utterly infuriating.

261. Jonathan says:

Royals announcers: A RARE hitless day for Wilson Betemit…..Also, Royals can beat Rivera.

I think after this series I’m going to keep the Royals announcers like a character and just make up what they WOULD be saying if we were still playing the Royals, and you guys can guess if it was made up or something they’ve said before. thoughts?

262. BigBlueAL says:

Well at least Joba feels honored for being mentioned in trade rumors.

263. Pat D says:

I really think it’s got to be a mental thing with. They twisted him around so long and so often that he doesn’t know if he’s coming or going.

Maybe he needs a change of scenery. Whatever the Yankees are trying with him doesn’t seem to be working. A walk and a home run to a pair of weak hitters is on no one but him.

• Pat D says:

Forget the key word of “Joba,” obviously.

• baby carlos says:

I agree with the mental thing but I don’t think you can put the entire blame on the yo-yo antics of the front office. They were using him to fill a need and win championships.

As of this spring training, and I would guess starting in the off season, Joba knew what the deal was going to be. It is his responsibility to adjust if things don’t work out to his liking.

Time to grow up if you want those millions and to be the center of attention.

264. Billy says:

Damn. Why did the front office give up that bomb to Scott Podsenick. Idiots.

265. BigBlueAL says:

WTF, Haren traded to the Angels for Joe Saunders and 3 prospects??

266. baby carlos says:

had to finally make a comment and see what all the defenders of Joba were saying.

But clearly, he is not right and may never be more than a sensational(maybe limited) relief pitcher. His mechanics are not right but moreso his mind set is not that of a reliever.

Personally, he reminds me of LaLoosh wanting to do what he wants to do. I think he is still hung up on being a starter. Remove him, send him to AAA, do something if the Yanks think he is part of the future. Otherwise, other considerations should be given – Yanks have spent lesser time with better talent that couldn’t perform.

267. bexarama says:

Bah. Haren to the Angels for Saunders + prospects.

268. ARX says:

…and this was the defense that was diving all over the place yesterday? pfffft.

269. Frigidevil says:

2 more hits please

270. Poopy Pants says:

That Joba HR really blew the Haren deal.

271. Nikhil R. says:

Bye Bye Danny

272. Ross in Jersey says:

So much for Haren… sigh.

273. Jobamania says:

Angels? saunders? LOL

oh well im relieved to be hoenst

274. The Infamous Irondequoit says:

The AL West keeps stealing our pitchers!

275. pat says:

Haren to the Angels? FUCK!

276. Jobamania says:

getting haren without trading trout has to be considered a win though, saunders is a 5th starter in the AL at best

277. ARX says:

LMAO what were the odds of arod getting another AB? Cmon man, gotta hit a GS now.

278. Jobamania says:

jeter so shocked to be held up

but you gotta love the hollywood story here, must have been in the mind of thompson

279. boogie down says:

Grand Salomi for #600!

280. The Infamous Irondequoit says:

The year of the Grand Slam continues?

281. baby carlos says:

ARod chokes under pressure and is not a true Yankee, which is why he didn’t hit #600.

Sincerely,

Lupica, Sherman, Madden, Abraham, et all

282. BigBlueAL says:

Apparently the prospects are pitchers Patrick Corbin and Rafael Rodriguez.

283. danny says:

grrr good thing i left the game…..

284. Carlosologist says:

Damn, no Haren. Angels now have a pretty good 1-2 punch in Weaver and Haren.

• Tom Zig says:

Who cares, they won’t make the playoffs.

• Carlosologist says:

I really don’t understand the move. Sure, the Angels will always be in contention, but they have to deal with a good Rangers club for the duration of Haren’s contract.

285. Jobamania says:

lmao silly arod

286. Ross in Jersey says:

Oh my god, if A-rod connected with that pitch it would have gone no less than 700 feet.

287. Jobamania says:

wow what the fuck

THAT DOES NOT LOOK GOOD

AROD IS DOWN

288. pat says:

FUCK!!!!!!!

289. That’s BS right there!

290. boogie down says:

Didn’t like his reaction to that….

291. Jobamania says:

NO FUCKING WAY THIS IS NOT GOOD NEWS

292. bexarama says:

Oh shitfuck be okay.

293. baby carlos says:

Time to drill someone…

294. Dave says:

Holy fuck

295. The Infamous Irondequoit says:

Punish him Robbie!

You can’t hit Alex like that!

296. Carlosologist says:

Jesus I understand not wanting to give up a HR, but do you really have to drill him in the arm?

297. Jobamania says:

fucking shitty teams that like to pitch inside and don’t care about hitting out players

who do we hit?

298. Poopy Pants says:

At least Jesus-freak Mo will avenge this, right?

299. Dave says:

Now I kinda wish Joba was still in, at least he knows how to retaliate.

300. ARX says:

Robbie, time for the 600ft HR into the parking lot…make them pay.

301. xnyles says:

royals better not fuck this season up

302. JLew says:

Seems like Yankees got spurned twice by teams offering lesser packages.

• ROBTEN says:

No team wants to make the Yankees better. They will try to get maximum value out of the Yankees, but will take less from other teams.

• Or:

It seems the Yankees were correct to play hardball with the Diamondbacks and refuse to include premium prospects for a non-urgent need, since said non-urgent need didn’t have sufficient market value to command premium prospects.

• phughesisgod says:

Umm, not really with the Lee situation. Seattle liked Smoak and prospects more than Montero, Adams, Z-Mac and possibly another prospect. Whats fucked up about that situation is that Cliff Lee was a Yankee pending a physical. But Zdrunciek was a tool and pretty much said “Screw you, Cashman. We want Smoak.”

The Haren case was pretty much the D’Backs wanted Joba along with Nova, Z-Mac and possibly another prospect and also wanted the Yankees to take on all of Harens salary along with all of either Chris Snyder’s or Chad Qualls’ salary.

• JLew says:

The Mariners trade was a joke. They had an agreement and backed out of it. And Smoak is terrible right now. He can’t hit at the MLB level. Today against a struggling Dice-K, he popped out, hurting a rally. Montero is better already. In the Haren trade, Saunders is terrible. Unless Trout is in there, weak package.

303. Poopy Pants says:

Hello Ty Wiggington

304. Alex S says:

Alex looks alright. seems they took him out for precautions

• Accent Shallow says:

I sure hope you’re a doctor, because I disagree.

/limits of my medical training is lifeguarding experience

• Alex S says:

Not a doctor but he was walking towards first base w/o cringing and didn’t even realize they were taking him out of the game. Just protecting their $275m dollar man

305. nathan says:

I think next homestand for arod now…

306. Brooklyn Ed says:

FUCK YOU BLAKE WOOD. if you don’t want to pitch to A-Rod then walk him. not plunk him!!!

307. Accent Shallow says:

Ten thousand profanities.

308. mike says:

Keep Joba in to hit the first batter between the eyes. Get him suspended for a few weeks.

309. Total Dominication says:

I turned the TV back on as A-rod walked off the field, wtf happened?

• boogie down says:

HBP on what they’re saying was his forearm. Looked like his hand on all of the replays, if you ask me.

310. phughesisgod says:

Oh fuck no. How many of those pitches came up and in? More than enough to tell me that there is no way that was not on purpose.

Oh how I would love to have Kyle Farnesworth back for situations like this and when Pukilis comes to the plate. Joba just cant throw hard consistently.

311. frank says:

He’ll be fine. The ball skimmed off his arm; it didn’t hit him flush.

312. Jobamania says:

take that blake wood you little sack of shit

313. ARX says:

Meh…I wanted blood.

314. Mister Delaware says:

Someone better have their numbers split in the top of the 9th.

315. Total Dominication says:

Ribbie!

316. baby carlos says:

blowing a bubble trotting in to second….

Don’t act like your not impressed!

317. Carlosologist says:

Robbie Baseball (this will catch on) has a K in the hit column!

318. Jobamania says:

holy shit podsednik? what the hell

319. Total Dominication says:

Wow, great play.

320. Jesus H. Montero.

Scott Posdednik is freaking insane. He’s possessed by the ghost of Mickey Mantle.

321. Alex S says:

in a game where we score 12…..Scott Posednik is the player of the game. wtf?

322. Jobamania says:

The player to be named later is a top prospect, a source tells Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic (via Twitter).

TROUT PLEASE

323. Mark says:

Podsednik thanks for helping me win in fantasy this week, but I get nothing for your defense : )

324. BigBlueAL says:

Joba for Podsednik!!!!

325. Poopy Pants says:

“One of the few Royals who showed up to play” ?

Did the Royals win yesterday? I guess Pods did it alone.

326. pat says:

The kid Colbrin looks legit, but the rest of that package looks pretty shitty. Unless the ptbnl is Troutmeister or Conger.

327. nathan says:

wheres Bartman?

328. Sean C says:

Pods and Ankiel have been robbing the Yankees this whole series, it seems.

329. Accent Shallow says:

So not only is A-Rod hurt, but I now have to watch this worthless sack of crap finish the game?

330. Jobamania says:

ankiel looks extra bronzed today

331. Dave says:

Chan ho doesnt throw hard enough to plunk anyone

332. Dave says:

I say walk the next two so we can plunk Pods.

333. Accent Shallow says:

Park is lucky that Cano is good at baseball. DFA ASAP, please.

334. smurfy says:

Can’t handcuff Robbie, baby.

335. boogie down says:

How are Scotty Pod’s homers the drives of the game when there’s a player on the winning team who had two homers, as well? Or, if they want to be literal, the unequivocal drive of the game was Ankiel’s moonshot.

336. Brooklyn Ed says:

wow the umpis are really out to get the Yanks.

• Pat D says:

That was such horseshit.

Can’t wait to see MLB come out tomorrow and see the rule was incorrectly interpreted.

• nathan says:

i think that was correct call, i saw the same call in a Sox-Rangers game earlier. this one is not on the umps but on our catcher

337. All Star Carl says:

I love the umps. Only Posada lol

338. boogie down says:

What?? How was Jorge supposed to get the ball without touching his mask? The ball was live so he had to pick it up! Umps know what “spirit of the rule” means, right?

339. Accent Shallow says:

Hell of an arms race in the AL West — Rangers get Lee, Angels get Haren. I was hoping that one of those guys would go to the Reds, but so it goes.

340. forensicnucchem says:

I sure hope Swisher came out just rest his achilles a little with a lead. Losing him and A-Rod in the same inning would REALLY suck.

341. xnyles says:

TEXs lol thats was funny

342. pat says:

TEX U SUCK BOO

343. phughesisgod says:

Watch, just because Parks run was because of the umps bad call, he pitched good enough to stay in the bullpen past the deadline. Well that and the rediculous faith that the organization has in him.

• Accent Shallow says:

As completely worthless as he is (and believe me, he is completely worthless), I can see the logic in keeping him to the deadline. I’ll be surprised if he’s a Yankee for much past the July deadline, and I will be absolutely shocked (and irritated) if he’s on the team past the August deadline.

If he’s on the playoff roster (should the team be fortunate enough to make the playoffs), I may just have to kidnap him, Celtic Pride-style. Of course, in that movie, Damon Wayans is actually good, and him not being there hurts his team’s chances of winning.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

should the team be fortunate enough to make the playoffs

You’re kidding, right?

The Sux have 63 games to make up an 8 game deficit. Not happening.

344. xnyles says:

DAMN Michael K is so annoying with the damn crime movies

345. Dave says:

Wow do we need to drill this asshole.

346. Mark says:

Good thing Alby is in the minors wouldn’t want a guy here that could get outs.

347. Brooklyn Ed says:

sooo..Ivan Nova and Romulo Sanchez tomorrow?

348. Ross in Jersey says:

Seattle has bases loaded, no one out against the Red Sox. Could be the beginning of the end for Boston if they lose today.

349. All Star Carl says:

Mariners take the lead

350. Teix is the man says:

Does anybody know Gardner’s walk up song? I can’t find it on google but it’s pretty boss.

351. Pasqua says:

It is rare to actually observe a pitcher struggling to THINK on the mound, let alone pitch; however, CHoP just gave us that opportunity.