Jul

Open Thread: Hip Hip

(AP Photo/Julie Jacobson)

Remember when Jorge Posada first came off the disabled list last month, and he struggling with the bat aside from those two grand slams against the Astros? Sure you do, he hit .215/.348/.336 in 132 plate appearances between coming off the DL and the All Star break. It was rather ugly. Well, the break certainly seems to have recharged his battery. Including today’s one-for-three effort that included a homer and a walk, Jorge is now hitting .348/.464/.870 with three long balls since the break. His defense is as bad as ever, but until another catcher on the team starts hitting like that, Posada should be behind the plate as much as possible.

Anyway, here’s tonight’s open thread. You guys know what to do, so have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Zanath says:

So did the Royals get Sean O’Sullivan simply because he pitched well against us his last start?

2. The Goose says:

The Jorge lapse is weird to say the least. However, I think it’s just that, a lapse. Heading into the rest of the season and then the offseason it’s going to get very interesting with Jorge in the catching position versus Montero or Romine. couple that with Jeter’s contract, his future role (DHing or at SS), and Rodriguez and his future role in NY; this will be a very interesting end of the season and winter.

• Abbey says:

I think you forgot to add: Jorge in the catching position versus Montero, Romine and Cervelli.
      Whether we like it or not, Cervelli is going to be part of the mix.
      Why shouldn’t he??

• The Goose says:

Very true, my bad. How could I forget Cervi???

• Abbey says:

Romine not ready for big leagues yet.
          Montero: great bat. Defense apparently weak as a prospective catcher. They are working on him.
          Cervelli: great defensive catcher, young.Does not bat for power.
          Will see what happens!

• bexarama says:

a. are you related to Cervelli?
        b. Cervelli’s ceiling isn’t even CLOSE to Romine’s or Montero’s. On a team like the Yankees, Cervelli’s a backup catcher at best. Romine and Montero might actually be catchers of the future for this team; Montero has the bat, at least.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Cervelli is going to be part of the mix.

Once Cervelli is eligible for arb after next year, he’s gone, IMO.

3. pollo says:

Just woke up from my nap. I couldn’t take it anymore after the 4th inning. I had to go in the shade for 2 innings. That sun was brutal.

4. bexarama says:

I watch these Mets/Dodgers games and I just kind of feel sorry for the NL that these teams are within easy striking distance of the Wild Card

• Carcillo says:

That might be my favorite matchup in baseball.

The Mets are a comical bunch who are experts at losing.

The Dodgers are horribly overrated.

It always means one of them loses, which is awesome.

• Johan Iz My Brohan says:

I love seeing Oliver Perez come out in situations like these. I feel sorry for Mets fans for having to sit through that disaster.

• bexarama says:

How do you bring out Ollie before K-Rod? Especially when we know K-Rod warms up every inning since about the eighth. Just… how???

• Carcillo says:

Manuel didn’t go to KRod until the 19th inning earlier this year.

He is the epitome of a manager who plays for the save stat.

• rek4gehrig says:

Mutts began their annual swoon a little early this year

5. Jeety says:

I just want to take a second to revisit my least favorite trade in quite a while

Granderson: .240/.310/.394 7; SB; 4.9 UZR

A Jax: .308/.360/.413; 16 SB; 5.2 UZR

Add to the basic stats the fact that Jackson is considerably younger and as a result likely to improve more (not guaranteed, but more likely) and that he has been healthy; I think we lost this trade…

PS. I’m not even counting Kennedy, Coke… bla, bla, bla

• Salty Buggah says:

Lose or win, I still think you make that trade at the time, which is how traded should be judged IMO.

• Zack says:

That.

Just like Javy for Vizcaino:
        On the day of the trade, Yankees won the trade.
        The day after, Vizcaino turns into a 5 star prospect and Yankees lost the trade.
        Two months into the season Javy sucks and Cashman blew it.
        A few months later Javy has improved and Vizcaino has a partially torn elbow ligament.

• Salty Buggah says:

Ugh. *trades

• Pat D says:

Jackson still has a total BABIP of .425 and off lefties is hitting .207/.270/.250.

Granderson’s BABIP is only .286 and his lefty splits, while still atrocious at .221/.260/.295, are really better than Jackson’s.

Too early to call this trade. There are really no trades that can ever be judged within the first year or so after it is performed.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Too early to call this trade.

This.

Why do so many people insist on judging a trade so soon? What is to be gained?

The concerns that the Yankees had with Austin Jackson are still there. He has struck out over 25% of the time, struck out almost 4 times as much as he’s walked, and he has ONE home run.

Yes, he’s still young and has a chance to improve those numbers, but that’s no guarantee. He exhibited those same problems last year in AAA.

And Granderson didn’t forget how to hit. If, with some help from K Long, he puts up numbers similar to his 2007 (not even his ridiculously good 2006) next year, I believe many posters will be eating crow.

At any rate, I think it makes little sense to try to judge the trade before Granderson’s contract is up.

• ROBTEN says:

Why do so many people insist on judging a trade so soon? What is to be gained?

Because baseball is inherently a game of failure and so it’s easier to be right betting against success than the other way around.

• ROBTEN says:

It always seemed to me that Jackson was exposed during the May 10-13 series against the Yankees. Before that series, he was hitting: .371/.420/.508 with a BABIP of .511 (!). From that point (May 10) until the All-Star Break (July 11), he put up a line of: .249/.306/.326 with a still high .346 BABIP.

Since getting a rest at the All-Star Break, he’s again on a tear as a result of a ridiculously high BABIP: .370/.414/.444 BABIP .526 (!)

To be clear, I’d actually like Jackson to succeed as much as anyone else, but right now he remains probably one of (if not the) luckiest hitters in baseball.

• ROBTEN says:

You might eventually be correct about the trade, but you can’t judge the value of a trade in the middle of the first season. It’s simply too early. As Salty Buggah said, in the beginning you have to evaluate the trade in terms of what was known at the time. You can then consider the trade in the future, after more information has been collected. But to judge the Granderson trade now is, I think, premature.

6. Pat D says:

So didn’t see the game because I drove 70 miles to see Inception in IMAX.

Glad I didn’t miss much. Though I wouldn’t throw Mitre away yet as a starter, after all his next start will be against Cleveland and they don’t hit well either. I’m actually surprised I haven’t seen a lot of comments that they need to get Haren yesterday or anything like that.

7. cjc says:

the dodgers lineup sucks balls

that is all

8. bexarama says:

Well it’s a good thing K-Rod was saved for that save situation

• Johan Iz My Brohan says:

1/4 of the Mets losses have been walkoffs… thats 12 possible situations in which K-Rod could have came out and gave the Mets the win.

…but then I assume he would have blown the lead in another 1/3 of those situations.

• Pat D says:

Surely he pitched in some of those games?

Now the question is whether or not Minaya/Wilpon decides to axe Manuel after tomorrow’s game. I don’t think they will, and I also don’t see how it would help the situation. The team was playing so far over its head, they’ve naturally regressed.

Of course, I’m sure that most dumb Mets fans will blame this all on Beltran’s return.

• bexarama says:

I know K-Rod gave up at least one walk-off hit… remember that game vs. the Nationals on FOX? Where Strasburg started?

But yeah. K-Rod never came into this game, nor that game in Arizona a couple of nights ago that they lost on a walk-off. They used Ollie Perez before him. Yeahhh.

9. Adam B says:

not sure if this has been covered yet, have the yanks been active in the international july 2 guys?

10. P. Allen says:

Probably not good, looks like Montero was HBP tonight and taken out of the game. Here we go again.

11. dan says:

one more year for the dh who thinks he can still catch then someone,montero, romine ,etc