Jul

Pettitte leaves game with left groin strain

Update (5:09pm): Joe Girardi indicated that Pettitte has a Grade I strain during his post-game press conference, the best possible case. He did, however, say they still have to see how he feels after to few days to figure out what’s next, and a DL stint is likely.

3:35pm: Jack Curry says Pettitte is at the hospital to get the injury checked out. Hopefully it’s just a Grade I strain, nothing too serious.

2:56pm: Pettitte left the game with a strained left groin, which is bad news. A DL trip might be required. Early money is on Sergio Mitre taking his place in the rotation, if it comes to that.

2:11pm: Andy Pettitte left today’s game in the middle of the third inning with an apparent injury to his left groin. He was grabbing at it and flexing his leg after delivering a pitch, and was then removed after a meeting at the mound. We’ll update this post with more info as we get it.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Angelo says:

Don’t scare me Pettitte.

2. nyk says:

Just great…

3. JoeC says:

Hopefully its just a cramp

4. Jon G says:

Nice move by Cashman to not give Girardi ANY viable options for keeping us in the game in a situation like this.

After yesterday, Mosely should have been DFA’d for Sanchez or Nova — somebody who could go longer if needed AND keep us in a game, which we know Logan and Park will not. I hope I’m wrong today, but I’m guessing the outcome today is for people to start really wondering what Cashman is waiting for to revamp the bullpen.

5. Jon G says:

Or at least wondering more than we have been — it’s getting to ridiculous levels here…

6. Gonzo says:

I hate to make a joke, but I heard he slammed his groin in door after the 1st inning.

He’ll be fine, I hope. I bet they wish Ivan Nova was in the ‘pen right now.

7. bexarama says:

I’m literally sitting here going “nooo, noooooooooooooo”

8. Marcos says:

Greeeeeeeaaaaat…. Because that’s exactly what we need!

9. Marcos says:

Just remembered our “starter in the bullpen”, not a pretty option, but I guess he could go 2-3 innings, couldn’t he?

• Javy has yet to throw his side session. I’m holding out hope that Girardi goes to him for a few innings today. They don’t need a fifth starter until later in the week.

• Jon G says:

I’ll cosign on that one. It may turn out that this being right after the allstar break is the rare time that allows an option like this.

I want to see Joe play to win this one, and that means no Park or Logan unless the rays blow it open.

Ind I sure hope we see some pen moves this week. In addition to Mitre’s return.

• Marcos says:

Hmmm, I did not notice this, in that case I’m on board with the idea.

Aaaaand as soon as I finished typing this, Park is warming up… Great.

• camilo gerardo says:

He is too fat. I said it.

10. Carlosologist says:

/2009 Mets’d
    //exceptwe’reinfirstplaceandmostofthesearehopegullynotseasonending’d

11. EndlessMike says:

Did anybody think Pettitte was gonna keep this going all year.He’s a second half pitcher.I’m surpised everybody is shocked a 37 year old pitcher with a balking elbow got injuried.

• bexarama says:

Who’s mind-blowingly shocked that an old guy got injured? Not me, I was talking about this literally just last night. Also, this doesn’t have anything to do with his elbow.

12. Cult of Basebaal says:

Strained right groin.

Lovely …

13. YankeesJunkie says:

Strained left groin via Michael Kay, how long is he going to be out?

14. Zanath says:

Is Mitre going to be back soon?

15. Mike Nitabach says:

Uh, oh.

16. Matt says:

If they put him on the 15 day DL retroactive to today, he may only miss 2 starts before being eligible to be activated. He’s going to probably miss at least one even if it’s a minor strain, so might as well make him take one more start off and get him completely healthy.

Since the two starts would come most likely against Kansas City and Cleveland, they may be able to get a better than expected performance out of whoever ends up spot starting.

17. Kevin in Princeton on another computer says:

We got lucky this season regarding injuries to the starting rotation up to this point and now we’re REALLY going to miss having Aceves in the pen. Luckily the rest of the rotation is good enough to have Mitre go every 5th day, in my opinion.

18. Matt says:

Mitre is not going into the rotation, the most he’s pitched in his rehab is only 3 innings I believe. It’s going to be Moseley for now, since he has been stretched out as a starter already this year and threw 75 pitches yesterday and would be pitching on five days of rest anyway. They’ll then use the spot freed up from Pettitte probably to activate Mitre to round out the pen again.

19. Reggie C. says:

What about David Phelps?

The man is absolutely dealing in AAA.

• RichYF says:

Phelps has only been in AAA for about 2 weeks. He was pitching well in AA, but he’s not a better candidate than someone already on the 40-man roster (like Nova or Noesi).

20. Theodore Reginald Oliver LLinx says:

BRING UP MONTERO

21. Nick DiCo says:

If the Rays being really good this year does one thing for Yankees fans living outside of the Tri-State area, its making it possible to watch so many more games this year.

Paying $99 for a year of games is still just a little steep, so this is always such a treat.

• Jerkface says:

You can’t afford 100 dollars to watch 162+ games of baseball? Its less than a dollar per game! You probably drink more in coffee than baseball and atleast when joba is taking a dump on the mound you can turn it off. Can’t escape the coffee brick.

22. Gonzo says:

This might be a blessing in disguise. Pettitte has been our ace in the hole this year. Some rest for his body right now might pay dividends during they playoffs.

23. nyk says:

stretch joba and slot him in the rotation!

24. MikeD says:

Granderson had a Grade 2 and was out for a month. He pulled up lame. Pettitte didn’t seem to have the same degree of pain, which of course means nothing, but I’m hoping this is a Grade 1 and he’ll miss minimal time. A start at the most.

• MikeD says:

…and I just heard Joe say it’s a Grade 1, but that he’s also going on the DL. That’s, what, about three starts?

25. Carlosologist says:

Girardi confirmed that it was a Grade I strain and there’s a DL stint to follow.

26. bexarama says:

Andy noooooooooo ;_;

At least it’s just Grade 1. Hopefully he gets some rest.

27. MikeD says:

Time for AJ to step up his game.

28. Jon G says:

Looking forward to a start from Nova, who I assume it will be.

And to a Sanchez call up for Mosely or Gaudin. Park and Logan may have saved their roster spots for today — and I’m obviously glad they did in such a huge game!

But time is running short for bullpen moves.

Obviously, that could all change if we wake up one day and hear Soria is a Yankee (which will be painful in terms of who we’d have to trade, but huge)

• Gonzo says:

I am with you. I can’t imagine going into the playoffs with Mosely and Guadin. At least CHoP has had some limited big league success, and Boone is a lefty.

I was hoping before a trade Sanchez and Albaledejo would get a shot. Doesn’t look like it though.

29. Igawafarts says:

I think we will be O.Kei, if you know what I mean