Jul

Rosenthal: Yanks unlikely to pursue a catcher

Even with Jorge Posada dealing with a Baker’s cyst and Frankie Cervelli hitting .195/.273/.293 in his last 131 plate appearances, the Yankees are not going to pursue a catcher before Saturday’s trade deadline according to Ken Rosenthal. They have depth at the position in the form up Chad Moeller and Jesus Montero, and frankly there are no attractive catchers on the trade market anyway. I suppose they could look at someone like Chris Snyder while employing Posada as a full-time designated hitter, but I’m not going to hold my breath.

Rosenthal also mentions that the Yanks want Adam Dunn but aren’t confident that they’ll be able to land him, and the asking price for bullpen help remains high. Go figure.

Categories : Asides, Trade Deadline

1. CS Yankee says:

Is Ken Rosenthal and Mr. Obvious the same person?

2. Steve H says:

How about trading a catcher? If their are truly teams out there that like Cervelli, could they trade him and also bring in a veteran guy to help out?

3. What’s the absolute most you guys think the Yankees should give for Dunn?

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Austin Romine. If it’s him then only Romine and fringe prospects.

• RL says:

Way too much. Dunn is a rental and doesn’t want to strictly DH. Z-Mac or someone of that level. No more. (and maybe going down by the hour).

• Steve O. says:

Romine isn’t going anywhere. He’s seen as the Yanks future catcher.

• Teix is the man says:

I personally would not give up more than McAllister, Laird, and mayve one other prospect. In hindsight, those guys may be just as valuable to the Nationals as the two comp picks.

• Ross in Jersey says:

He’s a few month rental at this point so.. not much. The Nationals want the world for him though, so I don’t see it happening.

• Steve O. says:

I think TSJC said it best yesterday: “I’ll give the Nats any two guys from the Nova/Noesi/Phelps/Warren/McAllister/Adams/Nuñez/Laird/CoJo/Miranda grab bag they like. Maybe three if push comes to shove.”

• Reggie C. says:

I too would cough up 3 of those prospects if the idea was to avoid Dunn hitting FA and give him a 3 yr extension. Doing so would also commit the Yanks to keep Montero’s development at catcher going. It’d definitely create interesting platoon situations at that position.

• Steve O. says:

I’d rather have the rental if he’s reportedly looking for 4 years-60MM.

• Brad Toughy says:

He didn’t get that last time around, so I don’t see him getting that now that he’s two years older and still terrible defensively.

• A.D. says:

Couple of starters from the Nova/Warren/Noesi/ZMac/Phelps/Mitchell bunch.

4. Scott Hiller says:

Don’t want Chris Snyder. Just go get a reliever.

5. Steve O. says:

I wouldn’t mind getting John Buck, but if Anthopolous truly wants Montero or Chamberlain for Downs, then he probably wants Austin Romine and Hector Noesi for Buck. Very cost-prohibitive to say the least.

6. Zack says:

I just want a back up catcher who can throw out a runner, if we’re not going to get anything from the bat anyways then I’d rather not see the Rays steal 15 bases against them in the playoffs.

• RL says:

I’d hope we don’t have a backup catcher playing against the Rays in the playoffs!

• bexarama says:

playing Posada in the playoffs >>> playing some backup catcher who can’t hit but can throw out the Rays on the basepaths

• Steve O. says:

This.

Although I can see Girardi playing Cervelli for his defense, which would be idiotic.

• Zack says:

If Miranda/Thames aren’t getting the job done in Aug/Sept, I’m all for DH’ing Posada.
          Runners are 80 for 97 on our catchers, letting them run at will in the playoffs, where runs are a premium, would be idiotic.

• Big Juan says:

The best remedy for stolen bases is good starting pitching, something the Yankees have.

7. j_Yankees says:

I want Adam Dunn too.

8. Brooklyn Ed says:

Chances of Montero being called up by Sunday??

9. Pat D says:

Jerry Crasnick tweeted that the Yankees are one of a few times to have “kicked the tires” on Willie Bloomquist.

Not sure he’s an upgrade over Pena.

• Tim says:

Willie Bloomquist is quite possibly the worst regular player in the entire major leagues. And quite possibly one of the 10 worst overall players in the major leagues. He isn’t an upgrade over me.

• Mattchu12 says:

My hopes are that Rami will grow to be a Willie type player.

10. Jorge says:

Feel free to talk me off this ledge:

Instead of paying way too much for one-dimensional Adam Dunn, I think it actually would be smarter for the Yankees just hit “reset” on the 2010 DH situation and make a smaller offer on Matsui.

• Carlosologist says:

No. Matsui has a .251/.332/.422 slash line and a 102 OPS+.

• bexarama says:

That’s not a ledge, that’s just… no. And how is Adam Dunn “one-dimensional,” because he can only hit and can’t field (no argument there)? Because Matsui is known for his excellent fielding, obviously?

• A.D. says:

He’s rocking an OPS+ of 102, plus it would still cost something to acquire him, and he’s even more one-dimensional, so no thanks.

• Mister Delaware says:

Isn’t power + patience atleast 2 dimensions?

• B-Rando says:

It seems to me that the angels think theyre contenders. The Dan Haren move was definitely an improvement over this year and for the future. I don’t think they would want to trade Matsui, thats just my opinion though.

• vin says:

Word on the street now is that with the Pineiro injury and recent losing streak they MAY become sellers.

I can see the Yanks picking Matsui up – only if he actually wants to come back. Then I can see the Angels doing the right thing for an upstanding veteran and trading him to the Yanks for a reduced package. However, his situation is unique in that he generates significant international revenue for the team. Not sure if that could play into it.

• First of the Mo-hicans says:

Word is the Angels might make Maicer Izturis available, and perhaps he’d make some sense if you could pick him up without giving up too much. He’d be an upgrade over Pena, I would suspect, although I haven’t looked at that dude’s numbers. He seems like he can at least play a bunch of positions.

• B-Rando says:

Ah, i see. It seems like they cut some pieces loose if they do indeed think theyre out of it.

• Brien Jackson says:

I wouldn’t use the Haren trade as evidence of the Angels plans. Given that he’s got 3 years left on the deal (counting the option) it just means the Angels had a chance to acquire a good starter at a good price and took it. They still might sell off some pieces, given that their odds of catching Texas and Boston/Tampa are pretty low.

• bexarama says:

Yep. That’s not a “win now” deal. It’ll help them this year, but it also helps them in the years to come. Weaver/Haren/Santana is a really nice front three, I think.

11. Jobu says:

I see your rumor Rosenthal and raise you the following:

The Yankees are unlikely to pursue a shortstop before Saturday’s trade deadline.

Your move Ken.

• Chris0313 says:

Ken Rosenthal: “The Yankees are unlikely to pursue a second baseman before Saturday’s trade deadline. They feel Ramiro Pena and Eduardo Nunez could fill in nicely if necessary.”

Your move.

• V says:

“Word on the street is that the Yankees would be willing to deal a package centered around Joba Chamberlain if it landed them Felix Hernandez or Tim Lincecum.”