Aug

Heathcott walks off in Charleston win

Triple-A Scranton (8-7 loss to Lehigh Valley)
Kevin Russo, SS & Brandon Laird, 3B: both 1 for 5 – Russo scored a run … Laird K’ed twice
Greg Golson, RF: 2 for 4, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 BB – 14 for his last 37 (.378) with four doubles, a triple, and the homer
Jesus Montero, DH: 0 for 5, 1 RBI, 1 K
Jorge Vazquez, 1B: 1 for 2, 2 R, 1 RBI, 3 BB, 1 K – seven of his 15 walks have comes in the last five games
Chad Huffman, LF: 1 for 2, 1 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 3 BB – 11 walks and seven strikeouts in his last nine games
Reid Gorecki, CF: 1 for 4, 1 RBI, 1 K
Robby Hammock, 2B: 0 for 4, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 E (fielding)
Chad Moeller, C: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K
Al Aceves: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 2-1 GB/FB – 21 of 33 pitches were strikes (63.6%) … I have to say, rehab has not been kind to him
Amaury Sanit: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 1-1 GB/FB – half of his 18 pitches were strikes
David Phelps: 5 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 5-5 GB/FB – 66 of his 98 pitches were strikes
Royce Ring: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 2-0 GB/FB – nine of 16 pitches were strikes
Zack Segovia: 0.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K - half of his ten pitches were strikes

Double-A Trenton (4-3 win over Akron in 10 innings, walk-off style)
Justin Christian, LF: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K -
Austin Krum, CF & Marcos Vechionacci, 1B: both 0 for 4 – Krum drew a walk … Vech drove in a run & K’ed thrice
Lance Berkman, DH: 2 for 5, 1 R, 1 K – hopefully he bought the guys a nice fancy postgame spread
Dan Brewer, RF: 2 for 5, 1 R
Corban Joseph, 2B & Rene Rivera, C: both 2 for 4, 1 BB – CoJo K’ed … Rivera hit a solo jack, struck out and won the game with a walk-off single
Luis Nunez, SS: 1 for 3, 1 BB – got picked off first
Matt Cusick, 3B: 0 for 3, 1 BB
Adam Warren: 5.2 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 K, 5-5 GB/FB – 12 hits, two walks, one run and 28 strikeouts in his last three starts (18.2 IP) … finishing nice and strong
Wilkins Arias: 0.2 IP, zeroes, 1 K, 0-1 GB/FB
George Kontos: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 2-1 GB/FB
Ryan Pope: 2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 2 WP, 1-0 GB/FB

High-A Tampa had a scheduled off day.

Low-A Charleston (3-1 win over Greenville in 12 innings, walk-off style)
Slade Heathcott, CF: 1 for 6, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 3 K – how’s about a two-run walk-off homer? sounds good to me
Ramon Flores, RF, Luke Murton, 1B & Neil Medchill, LF: all 1 for 5 – Flores K’ed thrice, Medchill twice, Murton once … Murton also doubled
J.R. Murphy, C: 0 for 4, 1 BB
Rob Lyerly, 3B & Kevin Mahoney, 2B: both 1 for 4 – Lyerly walked … Mahoney got hit by a pitch, scored a run & K’ed twice
Taylor Grote, DH: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K – second homer in ten games, his only two of the season
Kelvin Castro, SS: 0 for 5, 1 K
Brett Marshall: 7 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K, 1 WP, 10-3 GB/FB – 12 hits, six walks, two runs and 25 strikeouts in his last six starts (36 IP) … he’s settling in very nicely late in the season
Ben Watkins: 1 IP, zeroes, 3-0 GB/FB
Jairo Heredia: 1 IP, zeroes, 2 K, 0-1 GB/FB – 34-6 K/BB ratio in his last 30 IP, so maybe not all hope is lost
Ryan Flannery: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 3-1 GB/FB

Short Season Staten Island (6-3 loss to Lowell)
Shane Brown, LF: 2 for 5, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 CS - threw a runner out at third
Cito Culver, DH, Rob Segedin, 3B & Kelvin DeLeon, RF: both 0 for 4 – Culver K’ed once, DeLeon twice … Segedin drew a walk & committed a throwing error
Kyle Roller, 1B: 2 for 3, 1 BB – seven walks and six strikeouts in his last ten games
Gary Sanchez, C, Casey Stevenson, 2B & Jose Mojica, SS: all 1 for 4 – Sanchez struck out twice & allowed a passed ball … Stevenson doubled & came around to score … Mojica scored
Kelvin Duran, CF: 2 for 4, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 2 K
Dustin Hobbs: 5 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 3 K, 5-4 GB/FB
Dan Burawa: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 2-0 GB/FB
Will Oliver: 1 IP, zeroes, 1 K, 2-0 GB/FB

The Rookie GCL Yanks season is over. They did not qualify for the playoffs.

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. Look at this picture.

Does he look like he won’t develop power?

2. RalphieD says:

how big is the talent gap from rookie ball to the nypl..sanchez and culver have had a rough go of it

3. Jamal G. says:

Ramirez
    Marshall
    Black
    Cotham
    Heredia
    *Hall

I wonder if they’ll be cautious with Andrew Brackman and give Lance Pendleton that fifth spot in Scranton. Also, I wonder if Caleb Cotham might start the MiLB season in Extended Spring Training.

* – Shaeffer Hall could probably crack the Opening Day rotation, depending on what the Yanks plan to do with Cotham and Jairo Heredia.

• I love Nova, but I can see him easily becoming trade bait.

• Mike Axisa says:

Sell high! Trade him and Laird like there’s no tomorrow.

• Reggie C. says:

If Cash ever took off a weekend, I fear the damage you’d do to the farm.

Seriously though, any trade of Nova + Laird + BG has got to be for a starting player right? What about … CHRIS YOUNG (CF) Arizona.

• Mike Axisa says:

I just think when you have a guy like Laird, who has a very limited role with the big league team going forward with value at an all-time high, you trade him ASAP.

Where would Young play? They’re not going to trade Granderson, nor should they.

• Reggie C. says:

I thought it’d be fun to replace BG with another CF talent. Young’s had a nice comeback year and has shown power. He steals bases too. Young probably wont be had for that kind of package, but I remember you saying trading BG high this off-season wouldn’t irk you.

• Ted Nelson says:

This may in fact be a high for Laird’s value, but how has it been effected by struggling against AAA pitching? If he can adjust to AAA next season maybe that raises his value a bit, or maybe he doesn’t really adjust and his value falls…

I don’t know that I would trade for Chris Young… that might be buying high. Perhaps he’s put it together and will only improve going forward; however, this could very easily be a career year. Even in his career year he’s not necessarily better than Gardner in his first full season as a starter…

• Captain Jack says:

Agreed on Laird, I kinda like Nova though…realistically he’s the sixth starter, I’m willing to bet in two years he’ll out pitch AJ Burnett. That being said, it’s unlikely he cracks a rotation spot unless something bad happens like Andy retires or they don’t sign Cliff Lee. However, I can’t see him starting the year in Scranton, probably a reliever/swing man type role. Either that or he’ll be traded, I don’t think he sees the minors next year.

• MikeD says:

I’m not saying we shouldn’t trade Nova, but it depends who we’d get back in the return. At worst, he could be a quality 6th starter, which is a necessity in today’s game, especially for a team planning to be in contention like the Yankees. Sure, we can always pick up the Moseley and the Gaudin types, but if the belief is that Nova has more of a higher end, no need to rush to trade him. Keith Law in his most recent chat said he could see Nova as a 4th starter type. I’m not in a rush to part with a potential 4th starter who will make league minimum unless I’m getting something back that will really help us.

Of course, that all said, if teams come calling, sell him high!

• Ted Nelson says:

He could be valuable in the Ramiro Mendoza role next season. Or at least a decent reliever.

I guess it comes down to whether you think he’s put it all together finally or he’s just having an unrepeatable season. Is it really selling high–in which case the right thing is probably to trade him–or is he an improved pitcher from what he showed ages 20-22–in which case his value may only increase.

“I’m not in a rush to part with a potential 4th starter who will make league minimum unless I’m getting something back that will really help us.”

Yeah, as you say it all depends what you get in return.

• Mike Axisa says:

I’m willing to bet that one of Noesi, Nova, Phelps, and Warren is traded this winter. Heyer’s a low priority guy and a reliever by trade, he’ll probably go back to the pen next year. Cotham’s coming back from shoulder surgery, so High-A’s a little too aggressive or him.

• Jamal G. says:

It’s remarkable that the Yanks could have 3-4 legit SP prospects at each of their top three full-season affiliates (I know KLaw projects Black more favorably as a future RP, but he’s not been moved as of yet). Also, Bryan Mitchell (and Cotham) will probably start at Charleston.

• Mike Axisa says:

Gotta figure Mikey O’Brien and at least one of Taylor Morton and Gabe Encinas starts at Charleston too. The Yanks have a shit ton of pitching coming up right now.

• Jamal G. says:

Yup, and it’s not just soft-tossing control/command guys, either. The fact that posters over at NYYFans won’t have enough time in the day to wax poetic about Marshall, Mitchell and Ramirez speaks to the great depth of quality pitching prospects this organization currently enjoys.

• Reggie C. says:

Well … everybody’s healthy so your statement definitely appears headed towards fruition.

Do you think Checo and Turley will join Mitchell as starters in Charleston? Isnt it time for Turley to at least show he can handle a full-season schedule? Anybody from the 2010 class you think might crack the Charleston rotation?

• Will says:

That AA rotation looks sick. So psyched!

Cashman has had his ups and downs as a GM but you have to give him credit for bringing respectibility to the Yankee farm. Our prospects aren’t as hyped as some organizations (Red Sox,Twins) but many of our prospects have a star potential ceiling. As a baseball fan I just don’t think I can deal with the Yankees getting older by signing 29+ year old free agents. We need to get younger! I love Cliff Lee but I honestly think Cashman should go with Yu Darvish who is only 24 and has 6 pitches that he throws nastily (97MPH!).

I jizz at the thought of a possible rotation like : CC, Darvish,Hughsie,Betances/Brackman and Banuelos (Trade AJ!). And I also can’t wait for Montero. His debut can’t come soon enough. I love Cervelli but come on! We need doubles/homers from a yankee catcher. LET’S GET YOUNGER AND TRUST OUR PROSPECTS MORE!

• Reggie C. says:

Trade AJ? Could only happen if we ate HALF that contract. Since I can’t envision Cash ever admitting the AJ signing has gone bad quick by proposing to eat 25/26 MM, i think we’re stuck with AJ.

• Mike Axisa says:

Darvish isn’t going to be a free agent for like, four years.

• Tom Zig says:

I’m skeptical of Darvish. I don’t care what the scouting reports say.

and trade AJ? Oh yeah? To where?

• Will says:

Darvish is filthy in Japan and he’d be filthy in the AL East. Just watch vids of his stuff. He won’t be a FA for 4 years but his team can and probably will post his contract after this season.

As for trading AJ, that’s wishful thinking on my part! AJ is a good pitcher who needs a great game-caller behind the plate. The only reason he beasted in 07 and 08 was because he had Rod Barajas and Greg Zaun (two great game callers). Cervelli and Posada can’t connect with AJ hence bad pitches called and horrible performances. At least thats my theory. Posada is a hard-ass with AJ and Cervelli is naive.

• Tom Zig says:

Matsuzaka was filthy in Japan too.

• So was Igawa. Game, set and match.

• Mike says:

No, Igawa is so so in Japan. He is vuneral mental guy without power pitch. Matsuzaka was really filthy in Japan, and he was good at World Cup and Boston’s Championship too. Darwish’ stats is much better than Matsuzaka, if Nippon Ham posts him this year, it is nice to get him now. If he is free after 4 year, I will be reluctant to pay him the Max, because Japanese Starter is max at 24-29.

• MikeD says:

Every GM has his “ups and downs” although it’s difficult for me to knock Cash since he took over full time since the start of the ’98 season. For a large part of his Yankee GM career, he had to deal with the George Steinbrenner Tampa faction, limiting his ability to build a true long-term plan. Since he was give full control several years back, he’s already delivered another World Championship, took a step back and didn’t part with Phil Hughes to pick up Santana, knowing he’d rather have CC, pushed the younger Steinbrenners into signing Tex, redirected the Yankee bullpen away from the Torre burn-out approach so that it extends down to AAA, and has rebuilt the Yankee farm system so that it has both high-potential impact players, and a number of parts that can be traded for other players we’ve needed. Frankly, in all the years I’ve been watching the Yankees, in many ways they are as healthy as I’ve seen them, thanks to Cashman.

• Ted Nelson says:

When you’ve missed the playoffs once in 12 years it’s hard to say you’ve had “downs.”

• Samuel says:

Hall is better than Heredia and Cotham won’t be back until 2012 after labrum surgery this past July.

• Ted Nelson says:

When will Bleich be healthy?

4. Pat D says:

To think, I took off from work today just for the hell of it and I live 20 minutes from where the Iron Pigs play (which, ironically, and as I’ve said before is within walking distance from where I work), and I could have finally gone and seen the Jesus. Oh, well, guess I’ll have to wait till next year when I get back to the Stadium.

5. Jon G says:

The thing with these predicted rotations is that there are always surprises, injuries, etc. as in the case of Bleich and Garcia this year, etc.

That said, we’re very lucky for the system to have had the year we’ve had. It’s definitely exciting. Some of these players will do well for the MLB team, and not necessarily who we expecdt. Others will be traded to bring us key pieces moving forward (including those needed to deal with possible injuries at the MLB level).

A baseball season is a literal Saga, and the road following a team at all levels is long and windy — a hell of an adventure, full of twists and turns and surprises. That’s the beauty of it…

6. Will (the other one) says:

I know this is slightly off-topic, but holy s**t, Mike Moustakas.