Aug

Yanks open series with 11-5 drubbing of A’s

Heading into last night’s game, Trevor Cahill held the AL’s second lowest ERA, trailing just Clay Buchholz. So when the A’s staked him to a 3-run lead in the first, things didn’t look so good for the Yankees. It took all of five batters to change that outlook. The night continued to get better, and it ended with an 11-5 Yankees victory.

Biggest Hit: Swisher ties it early

(AP Photo/Bill Kostroun)

For the most part Dustin Moseley has done a good job filling in for Andy Pettitte. He’s had some rough outings, but that’s expected. He is, after all, Dustin Moseley. All the Yanks ask is that he keeps them in the game. From the outset last night it looked like he would fail. Two singles and a walk loaded the bases, and the A’s struck for three before heading out to the field. That had to feel good with Cahill on the mound.

The Yanks wasted no time in evening the score. Gardner started with a walk, Teixeira followed two batters later with a single, and then Robinson Cano brought home the first run with a single of his own. That ball was so well struck that even though Mark Ellis was in a position to field it, he just couldn’t make the play. That brought Nick Swisher to the plate, and Swisher delivered.

Cahill delivered five sinkers during the at-bat, but only one of them ended up down in the zone — Swish took that one for ball two. The sequence went ball, foul, ball, ball, foul, double to deep center. Coco Crisp made a valiant effort, but the ball went beyond his outstretched glove. It took him a moment to recover, which gave Cano enough time to score from first and tie the game.

In a span of just five batters the Yanks turned this from a frustrating game into a new game. That’s what happens when you have such a high-powered offense.

Meet Saturday’s starter

(AP Photo/Bill Kostroun)

When Moseley walked Kurt Suzuki in the fifth he accomplished two things. First, he guaranteed that Girardi would take him out of the game. The last pitch hardly had time to cross the plate before Girardi was out of the dugout and on a brisk jog to the mound. Second, he opened the door for Javy Vazquez‘s return to the rotation. For the next 4.2 innings, Vazquez made his case clear.

It took a Jeter jump toss to get out of the fifth, but from there Vazquez had things under control. He started the game by retiring seven straight and allowed just one run on two hits, striking out six. He even hit 90 consistently. Though, for what it’s worth, Moseley’s final pitch was also 90 mph.

Moseley’s next turn in the rotation would come on Saturday, but I’d bet on Vazquez slotting in there. It seems like a good time to see if he can be that guy he was from May into July. That will be a big boost to a rotation going through a rough patch.

Filling in for A-Rod

(AP Photo/Bill Kostroun)

Marcus Thames hit his 10th home run of the season this year, though it certainly feels like he’s hit more than that — probably because he’s hit six in his last six games. The tear comes at a great time. It’s like not losing Alex Rodriguez at all. In fact, since A-Rod’s injury Thames is 11 for 34 (.324) with three walks (.432 OBP) and six home runs (.765 SLG).

Mark Teixeira, too, has been cruising along since A-Rod started missing time. He was 3 for 3 with a walk last night, and is 14 for 41 (.342) with six walks (.429 OBP) and seven extra base hits (.659 SLG). He and Thames have made missing A-Rod not as big a deal as it could have been.

Miscellany

(AP Photo/Bill Kostroun)

Brett Gardner got on base three times and didn’t score. You won’t see that happen often.

How many young pitchers have we see throw 100 mph? How many of those pitchers sustained that speed? How many of them lasted long-term? Sorry, Henry Rodriguez, but you are no Billy Wagner.

Swisher is back up to .298, for those of you who are still holding out hope that he’ll finish the season at .300.

Trevor Cahill has allowed 50 earned runs this season. The Yankees have 14 of those.

Graph and Box

More at FanGraphs. You know, FanGraphs has the box score, too. But just in case you like ‘em simple, here’s the regul’r box score.

Up Next

Phil Hughes attempts to recover from a poor start, while Vin Mazzaro starts for the A’s. Considering the sparse crowd last night, I’m sure Mazzaro will be able to get all of his buddies into the game.

Categories : Game Stories

1. ShuutoHeat (Passion>all) says:

Yankees: Trevor Cahill slayers

gotta love that pic of Swish doing his best impersonation of Popeye.

2. ChrisR says:

I went to high school with Mazzaro.

Please, please, please win tomorrow night, Yanks.

3. Carlosologist says:

Hell of a game. Tex and Cano’s back to back shots made my night even better.

4. Erica says:

The results of tonight’s game make me very, very happy. I’m just hoping this continues and I’ll be crossing my fingers, toes and eyes for them. After the way the game started… I did not expect it to flip around that way. This is what we like to see!

5. Carlosologist says:

Fun fact: The Yankees are the first offense in baseball to reach 700 RS. We made our MLB leading run differential even better (it went from 163 to 169).

The New York Yankees: Best team in baseball or best team in baseball?

6. Anchen says:

Didn’t get to see the game, damn traveling for work. Can someone let me know how Vazquez actually looked tonight? Was his fastball back around 90? They are back at home so I assume any chance of fast gun nonsense (nova touching 97, joba at 100?) that may or may not have been happening in Chicago would not be present at the stadium. Although I’d love if Joba’s stuff was completely back…

• bexarama says:

Yeah, his fastball was 90-92, I believe. He honestly looked great. It was the As, though, but I mean, they were hitting Moseley pretty well.

• Salty Buggah says:

Per Brooks Baseball, his average 4-seam fastball speed was 89.37 mph and max speed was 91.7 mph (On the year, he’s averaged 89.1 mph). Although it’s not the Javy that sat 91-93 like last year, it’s MUCH better than completely dead arm Javy that averaged around 86 mph.

7. larryf says:

Javy talked about a mechanics change which enables his fastball to be a little straighter and faster. Front leg comes back further behind him and his arm slot is a bit higher. His curveball went down to 69mph and his fastball up to 91mph when I watched. Of course, most of the time he was up 7 and it was the A’s. I will be at my first game this year Saturday to see the new and improved Javy I hope. The night before I will watch Jesus at Scranton and ask him if he wants to come to the city to catch Javy….

• Mike HC says:

It seems to me, that Javy started the year throwing a straight fastball, got crushed, had a rest, then adjusted by taking a little off it to get more movement, then lost even more velocity, got crushed, had a rest, and went back to throwing the straight fastball again, but with better location.

He has been a rollercoaster this year. Not exactly the consistent innings eater we all hoped for, but it could have been worse, see 2004.

8. bonestock94 says:

I hope this Thames lasts through the playoffs. A .380 BABIP is crazy, but then again you’ll always reach base on a batted ball if it’s in the stands.

9. larryf says:

So Sterling said “Marcus Thames a fastball” is that a new one?

10. Brian in NH says:

I’d love it if we just kept crushing the opposing pitching like this through the rest of the year. That way the rotation can get healthy and work some things out, pettite can keep resting, and they’ll be set for october

11. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

Two games in a row in which the Yankees have throw out runners trying to steal. What the fuck is that about?

Orel report says that with wins last night, the Yankees and Rays both stand at a .618 winning percentage. This means the Yankees are on pace to win 73 games and the Rays are on pace to win 104.

Good win last night.

12. Ross in Jersey says:

Really need a “That’s Mr. Thames to you” caption in that picture of him after the homer.

I’m going to the game on Wednesday, hopefully it’s not to see another Burnett meltdown. Was the stadium really empty last night? It looked full to begin with, then it looks like it emptied out once it was a blowout and because the first few innings took extremely long to play.

• Mike HC says:

Prices are still ridiculous to go to a Yankee game, especially for games against teams like the A’s, who have absolutely nobody to draw fans to the ballpark. It really makes sense to change ticket prices depending on the team.

• Ross in Jersey says:

I got tickets for $9 tomorrow, so I don’t know what you’re talking about. I guess if you want to sit along the baselines it’s still expensive.

• Mike HC says:

I’m talking about a decent ticket and face value. Is $9 face value? I know the Yanks sell super cheap tickets for the worst seats in the house, or no seat at all.

• Ross in Jersey says:

That’s in section 204 in the bleachers, under the face value of $12. They’re the best seats in the house, IMHO :)

13. Mike HC says:

I agree that Javy should be getting the ball next turn in the rotation. He really could not have made the decision any easier for Girardi. A little rest was all he needed.

And those line drive homers were absolutely nasty last night. The Tex and Cano homers got out in a second and I thought were lethal weapons going into the stands. Fun to watch.

14. kosmo says:

Hopefully we┬┤ve seen the last of Moseley in a starting role.Back with Cy Vasquez on Saturday ?

15. Klemy says:

If Vasquez throws like he did last night in the start, I’ll be on the road to being convinced he’s better. He did look good last night.

I was very worried about losing that game after Mosely gave up 3 in the first vs Cahill, but damn the offense came roaring right back. Great game!