Aug

Open Thread: Back on top

Hey now. (AP Photo/Brian Blanco)

The Twins did the Yankees a big favor this afternoon, topping the Rays 8-6 in Tampa to split their four game set. It wasn’t easy though, Minnesota jumped out to a 6-0 lead before the Rays tied it up in the 8th inning thanks to a Jason Bartlett (!!!) grand slam. The Trop came back to bite the home team in the next half inning when Jason Kubel popped a ball up on the infield that got hung up in the catwalk and eventually fell in fair territory, allowing a run to score. Here’s the video. The win by Minnesota puts the Yankees back in sole possession of first place in the AL East by half a game, so the disaster of falling out of first lasted all of a day and a half. Something about not over-reacted during a 162 game season belongs here.

Anyway, here’s your open thread on this sweltering hot and humid evening in New York. Seriously, I went out to grab a bagel this morning, and decided I was better off staying inside in the air conditioning while having toast instead of making the two block walk in that humidity. But I digress. There’s a regional coverage game on MLB Network tonight; depending on where you live you’ll either get the Red Sox-Indians or Giants-Braves. Go nuts, talk about whatever you want.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Well, there’s always teh Jesus to keep us occupied.

2. Carlosologist says:

So many people panicked yesterday it was actually funny.

3. Across the pond says:

Youk out for the rest of the season.

4. JGS says:

Dear Joe Maddon: stop bitching about the catwalks when it costs you, when you no doubt have benefited from that rule many a time over the last few years.

5. How sad is it that I’m debating whether or not to sign up for a one-session first aid class on the basis of whether or not the Yankees will have the division wrapped up by 28 September?

• Kiersten says:

Not sad. I’m 21, single, and don’t wanna get married for a LONG time, but I’m already worried about how I want a fall wedding but that’s not gonna work cause I’m gonna be distracted by a division race/playoff game during my own wedding.

• Mattchu12 says:

It’s more sad that I’ve had at least two break-ups over “Why do you take this so seriously? I mean, you’re wearing a mitt while watching the game on TV. The ball isn’t coming through the screen, I think it’s time for me to go.”

And I let them. We were pitching, you don’t leave the couch while we are pitching….

6. Brad Toughy says:

Congrats to CC and his wife for another little CC!

7. Kered Retej says:

The camera operator did a pretty good job tracking that pop-up.

8. kunaldo says:

Man, that’s some not-so-subtle grabass.

9. Carlosologist says:

So, who else is watching the game in which Swisher did his best Bobby Murcer impression and honored the Boss with a walk-off.

10. I’m desperate. It’s not even a Mets game I’m watching, but the rookie ball Cyclones game.

I need help.

11. Brooklyn Ed says:

If Boston is smart enough, they should play V-Mart at 1B, have Veritek catch, and bring up a catcher. but hey what do I know????

12. Stephen Dedalus says:

Out of curiosity: what kind of music do you people listen to?

13. Uncle Mike says:

The Yankees’ Magic Number to clinch the AL East is 55: Any Yankee wins + Tampa losses adding up to 55, and we’re Division Champions again, on the way to Title 28. (Or should that be Title XXVIII?) And the Red Sox are coming in having just lost Kevin Youkilis for the rest of the season, due to a strained tushy… sorry, a torn muscle in his thumb, and their number to be eliminated from even the Wild Card is 44.

14. CaptainRaf says:

Mike, Joe or Ben,
    can tickets be purchased at the door for the Fangraphs thing on Saturday? dont know if ill be in the city that morning but if i am im going to attend. just dont want to buy the ticket ahead of time.

15. Reggie C. says:

Greinke is either blowing off some steam or he’s dead serious at the moment and is laying ground work to get out of KC.

I guess the likes of Hosmer, Moustakas, and Myers don’t impress Greinke much.

16. cano-is-the-bro says:

Gotta love the Trop!

oh and boost that Youkilis is out for the season

17. Accent Shallow says:

Saw Joe’s article on Thomas Diamond earlier today. Sterling/Waldman had mentioned him pitching for the Cubs the other day, but I didn’t realize he’d pitched that well.

My favorite story about him is the pickoff move bit on his wikipedia page, which unfortunately they don’t have a source for.

18. Bob Davidson is bad at his job.

19. Carlosologist says:

Wow, did anybody see that horrible call in the Phillies-Marlins game. Bob Davidson called a ball that was inside the line and fair, foul. It would have ended the game had the correct call been made.

20. E Street Shuffle says:

I’m kinda upset that Youk is out for the whole year. With all their injuries and now with him out for the rest of the season I fear that every annoying red sox fan will forever say that the yankees didn’t really win the division this year due to the health issues. When we win in October i wont really care but it’ll be annoying

21. larryf says:

Gardy should steal a bunch off VMart. Terrible catcher. Even pitchouts shouldn’t work for the Sawx…

22. fauxhawkrawk says:

Ball is fair or foul depending on where it lands, not where it crosses the bag. If it hits the bag or the chalk, it’s still considered fair.

• esteban says:

Well before the bases it can land foul and then roll fair

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Ball is fair or foul depending on where it lands, not where it crosses the bag

False.

If a ball bounces in fair territory, crosses the bag, and its first bounce after crossing the bag is in foul territory, the ball is FAIR.

23. candyforstalin says:

can a.j. burnett remain an effective piece at the front end of the rotation without somehow reinventing himself as a pitcher?