Aug

Report: Yanks had a deal in place for Mike Lowell

Earlier this week we learned that the Yankees attempted to acquire Mike Lowell from the Red Sox as part of a three team trade with the Rangers, but now Buster Olney reports that the three clubs did in fact have a deal in place. The Yanks backed out because they didn’t like what they saw in Lowell’s medicals, unsurprising considering his recent hip trouble. There’s no word on the other players that would have been involved, but it’s safe to say it would have been fringy prospects, no one any team would miss.

I said on Monday that I wouldn’t be surprised in Lowell ends up in pinstripes at some point this month, but I’m going to retract that statement in the wake of Kevin Youkilis‘ thumb injury. Turns out the Red Sox might actually need him now.

Categories : Asides, Trade Deadline

1. Not Tank the Frank says:

Yeah no thanks. My buddy who’s a Red Sox fan can’t wait to have Lowell off the team. I kept reminding him how the fans chanted his name after the 2007 Championship. Typical Sox fan. Got caught up in the moment and now just wants the FO to run the guy out of town.

• Poopy Pants says:

Just like the Yankees and Damon and Matsui, right?

• Not Tank the Frank says:

I fail to see how Yankees fans wanted the FO to run Damon and Matsui out of town. We wanted them to take less years (in Damon’s case) and I don’t think anyone would have minded Matsui for one year, $5 million.

Red Sox fans were chanting Lowell’s name and chanting not to sign A-Rod – the far superior player. They got what they wanted and they’ve been paying for it ever since.

• say-what says:

Actually, what they got was unlucky with Lowell’s injury. But I challenge you to find one Red Sox fan (and honest Yankee fan) who are optimistic about the 2012-2017 years of Arod’s contract.

Raise your hand if you wouldn’t be ecstatic with a straight swap of these two players this fall (come on, there’s more than a few of you).

.807 OPS, .729 in road games. Fear the hip.

2. The deal in place that fell through:

Mike Lowell from BOS to NYY
    Josh Hamilton, Cliff Lee, Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, Martin Perez, and Nelson Cruz from TEX to BOS
    Nick Swisher, Robinson Cano, Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain, Jesus Montero, Dellin Betances, Andrew Brackman, Gary Sanchez, Cito Culver, and Mariano Rivera from NYY to TEX

3. IOI says:

Imagine if the Yankees made that deal and Youkilis still goes down? If only Cashman could see into the future.

4. Joe says:

Lowell looked really hurt when he crushed that homer in his first at bat.

5. steve (different one) says:

Serious question: doesn’t activating Lowell b/c Youkilis got hurt basically announce that they were playing roster shenanigans with Lowell?

6. Yankee27 says:

Tonight you will see both the Angels and the Tigers fall below .500
    They both could easily become sellers, and both have some interesting pieces.

7. Accent Shallow says:

I’m glad it fell through. Man can’t hit outside of Fenway anymore.

8. larryf says:

Tori Hunter thrown out trying to steal 3rd no outs in 9th losing 9-7……priceless stupidity

9. Little Bill says:

We don’t need that piece of trash. Alex hits #600, Yankees win, Red Sox and Rays lose. It’s a great day to be a Yankees fan.

10. P. Allen says:

Albeit its not direct, I thought its understood that Yankees and Red Sox don’t trade with each other.

• Plank says:

I don’t know either of them personally, but I would bet Cashman and Theo care much less about the rivalry than the average fan. If there was a trade that both sides wanted, I think they would do it. Unless Hank steps in the way.