Sep

Open Thread: My 2010 RAB Fantasy Football Team

Time for the annual tradition of revealing the fantasy football team I drafted for you all to mock and laugh at. We only did 14 teams this year (in the past it’s been 20), and it was basically the same people as last year. So you didn’t miss a post about signing up or anything, we never had one. Sorry. Anyway, here’s my squad…

QB: Aaron Rodgers (1st round, 6th overall)
RB: Jamaal Charles (2/23)
RB: Jonathan Stewart (3/34)
WR: Wes Welker (5/62)
WR: Donald Driver (6/79)
TE: Vernon Davis (4/51)
RB/WR: Laurence Maroney (7/90)
K: David Akers (13/174)
D/ST: New Orleans (8/107)

BN: Cadillac Williams, RB (9/118)
BN: Jacoby Jones, WR (10/135)
BN: LaDainian Tomlinson, RB (11/146)
BN: Austin Collie, WR (12/163)
BN: Jeremy Shockey, TE (14/191)
BN: Jason Campbell, QB (15/202)

Rodgers might have been a bit of an overdraft at six, but with all the premium backs already gone, I figured I was better off taking the mammoth quarterback production than gambling on Frank Gore’s knees. With any luck, Charles will continue last season’s breakout and Jacoby Jones has a breakout of his own in Houston. I could really use that big wideout. I’ve struggled with running back depth the last two or three years, so I was happy getting Maroney and Cadillac reasonably late since I know they’re at least likely to get the bulk of their team’s carries.

I’m not nearly as good at fantasy football as I am fantasy baseball, but I feel better about this team than any other team I’ve drafted in the past few years. My first four picks went exactly as I planned before the draft, so that made me feel good. Here’s the full draft results, if you’re interested. Next year I’ll remember to not schedule it on Labor Day weekend.

Anyway, here’s your open thread for the night. Depending on where you live, the Marlins-Phillies or Rays-Red Sox will be on MLB Network. At this point, Yankee fans have to pull for a Boston sweep. Just think of it as rooting for a Tampa loss, not a Red Sox win. Other than that, I’m sure there’s a bunch of college football on. Talk about whatever, just be cool.

Categories : Open Thread

1. bexarama says:

Say what you will but ESPN makes one hell of a montage.

Also, Giants lead. Mat Latos got scratched from his start. Pods can’t catch a break.

2. So I totally missed the draft and the entire thing auto drafted. So me, the Jets fan, got Tom Brady as my QB.

*****

Also, A-Rod’s been back two games, the Yankees have lost two and I’ve seen people real, legit, panicking.

Dude, if you panic about anything, panic about Gardner who has an almost .400 OBP bunting.

• bexarama says:

Someone actually got banned on NYYFans for negativity today, it seems. Uh-huh.

• Chris says:

I looked this up in response to a stupid post in the game thread, but in the last 25 games (96 PA) Gardner has a .474 OBP.

Wow.

Perhaps there’s something to the idea that pitchers can’t throw 3 strikes before they throw 4 balls.

• Magnus Stultus says:

In regard to Tom Brady, isn’t he still pretty good? I don’t really play fantasy anything, but, couldn’t you trade his ass if it’s not to your liking?

• Tom Zig says:

The two games the Yanks have lost:

First one to Brett Cecil, whom we just cannot figure out. Coupled with a homer happy Hughes and Golson+Pena in the lineup. Hughes just didn’t give us a chance to win the game.

Second one to Brian Matusz, a very good young lefty. You aren’t going to score much off of him as it is. AJ only gave up 4 runs, which doesn’t seem like a lot, but the timing of 3 of them really hurt. One came in the inning immediately following the offense tying the game, and then the next inning AJ gives up a run, and then the Yankees get 2 to tie the game and then what does AJ do? Gives up another run. Wildly frustrating. We still had a chance to win this one though but some poor execution doomed us.

3. Accent Shallow says:

Wes Welker is one of the most loathsome human beings on the planet.

Now, for a poll.

What’s less interesting: when someone recounts you the blow-by-blow of their past week of fantasy football, or the Texas Hold ‘em game they played last night?

• Magnus Stultus says:

I bluffed Warlock out of a 5000 dollars pot last week at the Borgata .I did it by betting 5 G on the turn with a board of 2h 5s 4h 4c . I had 26OS in which I had three bet his raise of 140 preflop in a 10/25 blind game to start.

So ,yeah Fantasy football.

• Accent Shallow says:

See, this isn’t that bad, because it’s filled with jargon I don’t understand. It’d be worse if you explained what all those mean, in as long-winded of a manner as possible.

• Magnus Stultus says:

nah, I don’t want to bore you to death. The end result is that i took a boatload of money off Warlock which he could afford.

My buddy hears the long version . But he plays so he doesn’t mind.

4. Carlosologist says:

Apparently Giambi’s “idea” caught on with Aubrey Huff…

5. Apollo22237 says:

Well, Aaron Rodgers will be awesome so I wouldn’t worry about the overdraft. I picked him with my first pick last year and he scored the most points out of anyone and led my team to the championship.

Of course I always draft with my heart over my head in football. I had last year and this year the Packers QB, 2 WR, TE, Defense, and Kicker. As they go, I go. When they do great I do great.

6. ZZ says:

I may be missing something, so I am genuinely curious as to what the responses to this are. I probably won’t respond, because I just want to see what people say.

Tons of people during and after AJ’s start today said we have to get him right, so that is why he was left in. I have heard this from fans basically all season and really throughout AJ’s entire career.

What does that even mean?

How does pitching him 2 more innings get him right? How does any confidence he would gain from that, if he does at all, actually matter?

Also as a side note, amazing as this may sound, reading some of the comments after the game I don’t even think people realize how bad AJ has been this season. I think someone said he was a typical 3 starter or something to that effect. WAR is a popular stat on this site. Calculate his WAR since early May, after his hot start ended. He has been one of the worst pitchers in all of baseball this season.

• Accent Shallow says:

I tend to assume that pitching more innings is about getting in a rhythm, throwing strikes, etc, not about confidence. AJ’s been in the majors for some time, can Girardi really do anything other than keep him where he is, if he’s not going to undermine him?

• ZZ says:

Only 1 response?

Come on, you guys can do better than that. I really want to hear more opinions on this.

• Esteban says:

I think, considering the Yankees position in regards to the playoffs, the amount of money AJ is making, and at this point, the lack of stability for the rest of the rotation, I think it was worth it to see what he could do in those final 2 innings. I think bringing in a reliever to face BRoberts was probably the better strategy, but either way, it’s not a tragedy.

7. Jake says:

In case there are any FF dorks here with nothing better to do…

I’m in a 12 team league. Auto-draft gave me:

Jay Cutler QB
    Adrian Peterson RB
    Ryan Grant RB
    Michael Bush Flex
    Miles Austin WR
    TJ Houshmandzadeh WR
    Jeremy Maclin WR
    Antonio Gates TE
    Green Bay DEF
    Ryan Longwell K

I know very little about football. My assumption is that my team sucks. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

8. Carlosologist says:

Jeez, the Rays work quickly.

9. Carcillo says:

Is there anything more annoying than losing to Baltimore?

Not a concerning loss, just plain annoying?

10. Pat D says:

Should be good with Peterson, Austin and Gates. Grant’s solid. Longwell will be OK. Some question marks otehrwise.

11. bexarama says:

Does anyone else’s Google Chrome get this white bar on the bottom sometimes? It’s very annoying, how do I fix it?

Also, I apologize for being super cranky/bitchy during the Game Thread today.

12. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

I missed my Fantasy Football draft, so the autodraft led to this abomination:

Name: ThemCrookedVultures (awesome band btw)

QB Jay Cutler, Eli Manning
    WR Calvin Johnson, Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks, Devin Aromashodu, Antonio Bryant
    RB Maurice Jones-Drew, DeAngelo Williams, Thomas Jones
    TE Antonio Gates, John Carlson
    K Stephen Gostkowski
    D MIN, NYG

—————
    Luckily, my Fantasy Hockey draft went a bit better:

Name Oshie Didn’t! (TJ Oshie of the St. Louis Blues for you non hockey fans)

Starters:
    C Jonathan Toews, Matt Duchene
    LW Ilya Kovalchuk, Mason Raymond
    RW Jonathan Franzen, Dustin Brown
    D Tyler Myers, Tobias Enstrom, Niklas Kromwall, Jay Bouwmeester
    G Tuuka Rask

Bench
    LW Taylor Hall
    D Marc Staal
    C/LW Patrick Sharp
    C Brandon Dubinsky
    G Dan Ellis

I’m basically hoping for big years from Duchene, Raymond, Myers and Rask. If Taylor Hall goes 20G/30A/50P asa rookie on a crap Oilers team, that’s a bonus for me!

13. Another terrific outing by IPK today.

8 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 6 K, ND

He’s been up and down this year, but overall he’s had himself a nice season. I’ve always been a fan, so I’m happy to see him do well.

• Accent Shallow says:

He has a higher ERA+ than Phil Hughes.

(Anyone who would rather have IPK than Hughes, please raise your hand. Actually, at this point, I might rather have him than Joba)

• He’s outperformed AJ Burnett by over 40 points in ERA+. Anyone who advocated passing on signing AJ for IPK raise your hand.

• Mike Axisa says:

Are you serious about IPK over Hughes? Their numbers are pretty similar…

IPK: 4.20 ERA, 165 IP, 24 HR, 3.3 BB/9, 7.9 K/9
        Hughes: 4.29 ERA, 155.1 IP, 22 HR, 2.8 BB/9, 7.4 K/9

Of course, there’s the difference in division, and Hughes is 20 months younger.

• Magnus Stultus says:

Hughes has the potential of becoming an ace in AL EAST.

IPK has the potential of being a slightly better than average starter in the NL.

I think IPK would have gotten destroyed with his fringe repertoire in the AL East.

• Accent Shallow says:

No, I’d much rather have Hughes than Kennedy. That was more of a “I didn’t see this coming, but I’d rather have Hughes long term, regardless.”

I am disappointed by how much Hughes’ K-rate has come down, but so it goes.

• Magnus Stultus says:

Phil needs another out pitch. A change up would compliment his fb perfectly IMO.

• No, he just needs to be less predictable. He has plenty to work with.

• Magnus Stultus says:

Do you mean using change ups and curves in a spot where he normally throws his fastball?

• Yeah, just mixing in his breaking pitches more. Phil is prone to having trouble putting hitters away because he likes to go fatsball/cutter a lot (esp to Lefties) and everything is basically the same speed. Mix in the curve and you make the other two that much more effective. Drop in a curve for strike 3 and they have no chance.

———————–
                    I am in agreement with mixing his curve in those spots. As to why I think he could use the change up as an out pitch.

1.I don’t think he has the confidence and command to throw his curve in the zone all the time.

2. sometimes, a curve simply won’t get the strike call due to it’s vertical movements in the zone.

Therefore, I think a plus change up is a better offering as an out pitch. Especially, when 65? percent of his pitches he throws is fastball. He has the chang up already in his back pocket . Why not try to master it? Of course, it will take time.

• Carcillo says:

The best park of IPK’s day was the leadoff double he had in the 8th inning.

It was shameful how Arizona couldn’t get him home.

• Corey says:

Ian Kennedy is also pitching in the weak NL West not the powerhouse AL East, good move getting him out of here.

14. Carlosologist says:

Ortiz gives Boston the lead. I must now go take a shower for rooting for a Big Papi homer.

15. Carcillo says:

Hah, Ortiz hits a two run home run, I do my usual (unusual) finger point, and it quickly dawns on me I was doing my sign of approval in a pro-Sox manner.

Hah, this is fun.

16. bexarama says:

WOOOO ORTIZ

(throws up)

17. Slappy White says:

This pulling for the Red Sox is some disturbing shit

18. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Ever since that ‘other team in NY which is run by clowns’ gave up another grand slam today, I’ve wanted to start a website/blog about embarrassing baseball statistics and facts. The Mets would get a huge section of their own just for the amount of embarrassment they cause.

19. Carcillo says:

Rocco Baldelli’s first plate appearance back in a Rays uniform yesterday. What does he do?

Well played, sir.

20. I’m not rooting for the Red Sox, I’m rooting against the Rays

21. Jose the Satirist says:

So does anybody else think something is still wrong with Niemann?

22. seimiya says:

If Shoppach and Pena missed that play, I would have laughed my ass off.

23. Tom Zig says:

61 pitches for Niemann already? Hot damn.

Oh and God damn you Twitter for refusing to reinstate my account.

24. Cecala says:

Since I really have no idea about 1/2 my team I will post my Football team and be annoying.

QB Drew Brees

RB Chester Taylor
    WR Derrick Mason
    WR Josh Morgan
    TE Kevin Boss
    QB Alex Smith
    RB Joe McKnight

Any trades switches swaps recommended?

• Apollo22237 says:

Haha, I am liking seeing teams a commenting. I know no one cares about my opinion, but whatever. Nice job at QB of course, and that Jets D obviously as a chance at being very very good. I am sure the Revis signing makes you happy.
      One thing I might switch is getting Derrick Mason in at WR over Breaston. I had him last year and he is very underrated. Flacco is in his 3rd year as QB and Mason is a good WR. The only thing I would be worried about is that the Ravens now have a good WR core as opposed to the past. Less throws might go Mason’s way. On the other hand, with Boldin on the team and Houshmandzadeh, he might also be open more iwht coverage and double coverage going to the other guys.

• Reggie C. says:

Chad Henne as your QB2 is a bit of a luxury. You’re not likely to start him more than once. Trade Henne and see if you can swing an upgrade at WR 2. Henne should be starting for somebody in your league.

25. bexarama says:

What the what

“Peña fathered his first son at just ten years old in November 1988, with his future wife Pamela, who was thirteen at the time.”

He’s still hot as shit though.

26. Question posed to me: What will Jesus Montero’s home run call be?

The floor is open…

27. Slappy White says:

I hate these ugly ass non-school colored uniforms Va Tech are wearing tonight…..Fuckin Nike sellouts

28. bexarama says:

Lester, to Niemann: Anything you can do I can do… better?

29. I’m so bad at Fantasy Football that my team will come in last place despite the fact that I’m not in a league anywhere.

30. Slappy White says:

Damn, Boise State is putting the Bully Beatdown on Va Tech

31. Jake H says:

awesome catch there.

32. Carlosologist says:

This is my new favorite song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVksHCi7n7c (slightly NSFW)

33. Aside from “Knocked Up,” Katherine Heigel pisses me the hell off. Even in that movie she’s kind of annoying.

34. seimiya says:

Anyone think the Padres are going to win today? I know, it’s a longshot, but…

• bexarama says:

If Latos was pitching, I’d say definitely. They are still going up against the pathetic Dodgers.

• No. The Padres will lose every game the rest of the way out.

/half serious’d

• bexarama says:

and still win the NL West because it’s that bad

• Jerome S says:

It’s that bad.

• Magnus Stultus says:

I am sure this is spoken with some degree of hyperbole and sarcasm. At first glance, AL West and NL Central are just so much worse than NL West. As we speak, NL West can boast four teams over the .500 mark.

• bexarama says:

Just because the AL West and NL Central are terrible doesn’t mean the NL West isn’t also really really bad. I do feel like pretty much all the teams in the AL West are well-run, which I can’t say for the NLC or NLW.

• Magnus Stultus says:

No, two bad doesn’t make one good I guess :)
                But if you look at the NL West’s run differentials. It’s actually pretty good.
                SD + 102
                SF + 73
                CO + 49
                LA + 2
                it’s just one way of evaluating the strength of a division. I don’t care about NL West that much to look into further. but it’s not bad.

• Dirty Pena says:

I don’t think the NL West is that bad outside of the Dodgers. The Rockies are well run, the Padres seem to have a good new regime, Sabean makes his fair share of boneheaded moves but no worse than the average GM, and Arizona might’ve had a horrendous bullpen, but I don’t think anyone expected guys like Qualls and Gutierrez to be as bad as they were.

• bexarama says:

Eh. Agreed re: Rockies, but the Padres fired their GM because of how bad their roster looked pre-season. They weren’t supposed to contend. Arizona’s interim GM is clearly an embarrassment and while I don’t think Sabean is there, he’s not a particularly good GM either.

• Magnus Stultus says:

It’s a coin toss . So yeah, I think they might. But I would prefer them to lose because it will provide better drama in the NL WEST.

I think I am more interested in seeing a car wreck in progress than a nice Cinderella story.

come to think of it , that’s pretty much how the Media in general operates.

• seimiya says:

He gave up two intentional walks in a row.

Wait.

That second one wasn’t intentional?

Woops.

(And… he’s thrown more balls than strikes this outing.)

35. Carcillo says:

Finger point to Ryan Kalish.

Yankees again stay 2.5 clear despite losing. That’s nice.

36. ATTN: Not Tank the Frank:

I had no idea you were from Greenwich, too.

#highfive

37. Jerome S says:

Actual warning label on a Swedish chainsaw “Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals”

In actual baseballing stuff, I want the Padres to get the piss beaten out of them. As I write this, I am wearing an SF Giants hat. Don’t ask why.

“ONE TIME!!”

38. MattG says:

Didn’t I hear Kay announce Pettitte would pitch Wednesday in Trenton? I got my tickets, right next to the Thunder dugout, as soon as I heard that.

I don’t care much, as I’ve seen Pettitte pitch plenty. But my 9 year old really wants his jersey signed. Now I have tickets for the wrong day. Drat.

39. Kit says:

Boston’s epic lolpen walking in runs again. *amused*

40. bexarama says:

OMFG Boston pen, get outs you assponies >:(

41. bexarama says:

Ryan Kalish just stole a base up six, ruh roh.

42. Kit says:

Wow, you butchered that word, announcer man.

43. Captain Bawls says:

I always draft a couple FF teams in case one’s a real flop, and I think this one was the better of the two. 10 team, Yahoo league:

QB – Aaron Rodgers

B – Vincent Jackson (WR)
    B – Matt Ryan (QB)
    B – Clinton Portis (RB)
    B – Dustin Keller (TE)
    B – Sidney Rice (WR)

• Apollo22237 says:

I’m loving the amount of Packers on the team. Finley is going to have a crapton of points this year. I wonder if you should trade Matt Ryan though to maybe pick up a RB or something. The only time you won’t use Rodgers is the bye week, so who knows. God forbid he gets hurt though, but then at that point thousands of people are screwed.

• Captain Bawls says:

Haha, yeah, I’m a Packers fan, too. Rodgers fell to #9, and then Johnson was still around at #12, so I couldn’t resist.
        And yeah, I love Finley – he’s going to be absolutely beast, I think. He was a steal for where I got him.

As for Ryan, I nabbed him relatively late, and I think he’s going to be a lot better this year. I think, even though he’ll just be rotting on the bench for the time being, that I’m better off waiting for his value to rise before shopping him. I think Wells will be huge in Arizona with an uncertain QB situation there, and my backups have potential if they’re healthy.

44. Carcillo says:

bex : NYYfans :: Carcillo : WasWatching

Something about frequent lunacy gets me. Somehow, I think Stevie knows his baseball, but would rather play the role of firestarter and get a rise out of his readers. We always magnify Yankee flaws, but seem to forget the other AL playoff teams have their own flaws, and their flaws are worse than those of the Yankees’ flaws.

• bexarama says:

Hahaha

That’s why I can’t stand WW. I think the guy knows his baseball, but he is so endlessly negative. It doesn’t help that he’s said things I’ve found actually vaguely offensive, either. At NYYFans they just don’t know any better.

• Except I don’t purposefully drive myself nuts with things like that…well, sometimes with WFAN. I like screaming in my car to the stuffed monkey my GF gave me. One day, he’ll answer back and agree with me.

• bexarama says:

also re: the flaws of other teams, here’s an excellent article from Yankeeist on a doom-and-gloom article by Will Leitch.

• Kit says:

I’ve never read WW but I agree with what you said regarding how some fans tend to forget that other teams have their flaws as well. I just think the flailing and bitching is a result of being spoiled by the Yankees’ winning ways. Not saying that they should lose to humble anyone, but that some people expect perfection throughout the season, and that’s just not how the game works.

• Magnus Stultus says:

Do you guys ever read Lohud? There is a cat by the name of CB , he can drop some serious knowledges on you. He stupefies me with his takes on baseball and statistics in general.

• Carcillo says:

What everyone remembers from 2009 is that they went 76-31 after June 24, curbstomping everyone en route to winning the World Series. That’s a .710 win percentage, pretty ridiculously good. 43-11 at home after that date, good for a .796 win percentage.

Even if this team is/was better than that team, those marks of winning were simply unsustainable. Yet because ’09 did it, naturally the regression that would occur with this team leaves everyone concerned that this team simply doesn’t have “it” like that team did.

The Yankees had six winning streaks of seven or more games last year, longest being a nine gamer in May. This team has only had two such streaks, and one of them just ended yesterday. At the same time, this team hasn’t had a losing streak of longer than three games all year (they’ve had four such streaks).

Compare that to a team like Tampa, who has shown more variance this year, and you have a team that is unpredictable come playoff time. With Tampa, it wouldn’t shock anyone if they won the World Series, or if they flamed out in four games in the ALDS. Ditto Chicago if they win the Central. The Yankees have less variance, and I’m just fine with that.

But you’re right. We’re all spoiled by this team’s successes, and we should be more reasonable with our expectations. At the end of the day, this team has the best record and run diff. in the best division in baseball. They must be doing something right.

• Kit says:

Agreed entirely. I actually think they haven’t lost 3 games in a row at all. Tampa is unpredictable, but what makes them so “scary” is their starting pitching, which is pretty good at this point (but not unbeatable) and because the team reached a bit of a bump, people freaked. I understand that frustration because I experience it as well, but some people being completely batshit insane about their expectations about how the team should be performing just makes us look bad and spoiled as fans. Like you said, they have the best record in the best division in baseball, so people flipping their lid over the recent losses to the Orioles and the Jays (who are a good enough team to avoid getting swept), is ridiculous.

• Magnus Stultus says:

Yankee fans of my generation has seen nothing but winning. Our standard of expectations are pretty unreal on a yearly basis. But in general, I am not amazed by the overt stupidities and reactionaries on any blogs. It’s a small sample of the world we live in.

• Kit says:

I’m 22, so all I know is the Yankees winning and that nine year gap between 2000 and 2009.

• bexarama says:

Ditto. Do I wish I was around earlier than that? Yeah. But it’s not like there’s anything I can do about it and I think I have a pretty decent sense of perspective.

Plus my mom had season tickets or something like that in 1991 (!!!!).

• Kit says:

Agreed on the perspective thing. I like to think I’m realistic in assessing the team as it is, and it has nothing to do with my age.

• Dirty Pena says:

I think the only people who don’t get it among our generation are people who are like “anything less than the World Series is failure.” That’s retarded. I don’t think being overly negative is a product of not experiencing failure- I’m optimistic as a Knicks fan and I’m pretty sure the past couple of decades haven’t been filled with overwhelming success in MSG.

• Magnus Stultus says:

I am basing this on my friends and myself. Most of them (20-30) are rotten spoiled Yankees fans. I think growing up in a world of instant gratifications and righteous self entitlements (both of which i am guilty of at times) has made us less receptive to anything but winning a championship.

Haha, maybe it’s just my friends and myself made me majority people of my age are spoiled.If I did offend my peers I do so unintentionally.

45. ZZ says:

I saw that “Brad Toughy” responded to something I said in the game thread and I didn’t see the response until just now.

It has been about the 4th or 5th time someone has said to me, we get it you hate so and so player. What kind of bullshit response is that?

If you don’t have something intelligent to say to counter my point then don’t respond with something bush league like I hate the player. I am a huge Yankee fan. I don’t hate anyone on this team.

Sorry for this mini rant, but that is ridiculous. I hate AJ Burnett. What am I a Red Sox fan?