Sep

Vazquez gets bombed as Yanks drop finale to Blue Jays

A few people will miss Javy Vazquez, but I’m sure the overwhelming majority were glad to see Joe Girardi come out of the dugout and remove him from the game for the final time in his Yankee career. Vazquez gave up hard-hit ball after hard-hit ball in his 4.2 innings of work, which resulted in seven Blue Jays runs. The bullpen would hold them down, but the offense couldn’t capitalize on a rally and ended up dropping their 10th game of the season against the Blue Jays 8-4.

Biggest hit: All those homers

(AP Photo/The Canadian Press/Nathan Denette)

Entering the game Vazquez had allowed 29 home runs, giving him the highest HR/9 rate in the league among pitchers with 150 IP. That went up in a hurry. A night after he recorded the Blue Jays only run on a homer off CC Sabathia, Travis Snider took Vazquez deep in the Jays’ first at-bat. Vazquez gave up a number of hard-hit balls that inning, but did manage to escape without allowing another run. That would have to wait until the second.

With none on and two outs in the second John Buck whaled a low, outside pitch over the wall in right-center, giving the Jays a 2-0 lead. Then in the fifth, this time with two men on, Vazquez gave up another long fly, this one to Aaron Hill. That made the game 7-0. That is almost certainly the last pitch he’ll throw as a Yankee.

I know there are plenty of fans who revel in Javy’s failures in pinstripes, but I’m as saddened by the end of his second stint as I was at the first. After 2004 I was sure that he would bounce back with a solid 2005. Trading him for Randy Johnson, I thought, was not such a great idea. This time around I realize that he has to go. He’ll sign for cheap somewhere, and while in a way I’d like that to be with the Yankees, I realize the impossibility of the idea.

Biggest bummer: Swish kills the rally

The Yanks actually fought their way back into the game in the sixth inning, right after Royce Ring came in and ended the game-killing fifth. A-Rod led things off with his 30th homer of the season, which gave him his 14th 30 HR, 100 RBI season, and his 13th straight. After Brett Cecil plunked Robinson Cano and walked Austin Kearns the Yanks had a shot. Cervelli started the carousel, singling in Cano and moving Kearns to third.

The mighty Greg Golson followed with his own single, which set up the Yanks with first and second with one out and drove Cecil from the game. In came Jason Frasor, who gave up a single to Derek Jeter. Nick Swisher came to the plate as the tying run, and he was backed by Teixeira and Rodriguez. But Swisher swung at the first pitch and grounded it to Aaron Hill, who started an inning-ending 4-6-3 double play.

This, that, and the other

(AP Photo/The Canadian Press/Nathan Denette)

Andrew Brackman? Anyone? Bueller?

Francisco Cervelli in September: .367/.512/.433 in 43 PA. BABIP: .440. Hot and cold, hot and cold.

Alex Rodriguez has 40 fewer PA than Miguel Cabrera but has driven in just three fewer runs. A-Rod might be having a sub-par season by his standards, but he’s still coming up with men on base (.300/.372/.571).

If Mark Teixeira catches A-Rod’s throw Joba’s appearance looks a lot better.

At this point, is Sergio Mitre a better option than Chad Gaudin for the postseason roster? Ideally they’d carry neither — in fact, I submit that Royce Ring is a better choice then both.

Box and graph

I coulda done without this one.

More at FanGraphs. Boxy thing here.

Up next

It’s an off-day as the team heads back stateside and into Boston. Andy Pettitte and Daisuke Matsuzaka do battle on Friday.

Categories : Game Stories

1. bonestock94 says:

Good Riddance.

2. forensic says:

Again, no biggie, but why start 2/3rd’s of an MLB lineup behind a MiLB pitcher (yes, that’s what I think of Vazquez) when you know you won’t be able to overcome his suckiness against Cecil? I would’ve rather they rested more guys tonight, started an MiLB lineup, and played a few more of the MLBer’s on Friday instead of how it looks like they’re going to do it. It’s almost giving up 2 games instead of one, not that it matters too much(though it could since TB keeps losing too). The only one I’m happy that played is A-Rod because I wanted him to get every chance for 30, which he got out of the way right away.

• Randy A. says:

Agreed. It seems somewhat counterintuitive to go with a horrible starting pitcher and only sit Gardner and Granderson while still playing a majority of the starters, then openly stating that guys like Tex and A-Rod will get Friday’s game off when Pettitte, a very good starter, takes the ball.

• LarryM.,Fl. says:

Apparently Girardi’s view of this game was inflicted with too much patience with Javy. If he doesn’t hang with him their could have been a different outcome. Hill’s 3 run HR a killer.

3. Carlosologist says:

I stood by Javy all season. I tried to defend him when was teh suck in April, did a nah-nah-nah dance when he was ace level from May to July, and just shook my head as we all saw him fall apart this month and last month.

I hope he does well wherever else he goes to play. Can’t really ask for more. :/

I also believed that A-Rod would get his 30 bombs after he got off the DL. And he rewarded us with a power resurgence (I smell 35-40 bombs next season). Here’s hoping it carries over to the postseason.

4. ZZ says:

Still trying to figure out why Vaz was left out there to give up 7 runs.

Got nothing so far. Maybe after a night of sleep I’ll wake up clear headed with the slightest clue as to why.

• Dream of Electric Sheep says:

Joe doesn’t really care about HFA , he started his semi A lineup because he wants to keep guys in rhythm ? That’s my take.

• Brian says:

Not that difficult to figure out the guy has to earn a spot on the playoff roster and there is an opening for a 4th starter with Burnett bombing out on Monday night. Despite CC’s effort on Tuesday the pen has been used way to much from before the 5th inning on in the past 8 games. At some point someone on this roster has to step and pitch out of a difficult situation which is required to be on the postseason roster. With the Rays losing this was Javy’s chance to at least gain some confidence in the coaching staff. All Javy had to do was make a good pitch to a guy batting well under .300 but again he didn’t and for some reason people question why he was in there. Javy isn’t a 23 or 24 year old kid he is a 34 yr old vet who should be able to handle that situation.

5. Gonzo says:

Did you just use RBI’s to compare two players’ seasons?
    Whaaaa?

6. Dream of Electric Sheep says:

I guess proper decorum demands you don’t kick a man when he is down.
    But I have been utterly disgusted by his second half no shows. Good luck Javy ! I don’t ever want to see this man in a Yankee uniform again.

• bexarama says:

But I have been utterly disgusted by his second half no shows

That’s a little unfair. Yes, he’s pitched like crap and he deserves to get criticized for that, but he’s had absolutely nothing for a while and he’s really had to work to get outs. He’s definitely trying.

• Dream of Electric Sheep says:

Prolly Bex , There are many variables to the end narratives.I can look at any pitchers who are not performing well and give some reasons as to why. The simple fact is , we can’t even count him as contributor at this point. It’s sad for the Yankees and sad for him.

7. stuart says:

royce ring is a better choice then either of the 2 stoogews. use ring earlier in the gameagainst a lefty so you can save logan for a maximum leverage situation.

gaudin and mitre give you nothing and will never give you anything. mitre is better then gaudin but they both stink.

maybe the hillbilly burnett can be the long man in the alds!!!!!!!!!

how about kearns the key ingredient against lefties, he is really paying dividends. no need to play gardner the results lately with kearns in there have been great.

kearns and berkman have shown almost zero power in there time in NY…….

8. PaulF says:

Congratulations to Alex on keeping his 30/100 streak alive. I hope it goes on for as long as possible because it means he’s mostly healthy and productive. A-rod is awesome. I know he hit a meaningless HR tonight, but this guy is slugging .857 in high leverage situations this year, with a wOBA of .484. It’s cherry picked and its 55 PA’s, but it’s helped the team win.

9. A few people will miss Javy Vazquez, but I’m sure the overwhelming majority were glad to see Joe Girardi come out of the dugout and remove him from the game for the final time in his Yankee career.

I’m more sad that it didn’t work then glad to see him leave for the final time.

Javy seems like a nice guy who did everything he could to try and be a good pitcher for us; it just didn’t work out. I can’t shit on someone who gives their all to help the Yankees. If he didn’t try, sure, maybe that would make me glad to see him go.

Sadness is my emotion.

• Captain Jack says:

Yeah, he’s a story that you’d like to root for…there’s nothing sweeter than redemption and seeing Mike Francessa proven wrong. Wasn’t in the cards. I’m disappointed they lost Vizcaino for Vazquez, but I have no venom towards him. He’s just a guy with nothing left in the tank. If he’d have been born left handed he’d have a Hall of Fame career.

• dan says:

HE SUCKS.WHO CARES ABOUT THE EFFORT HE GAVE UP , AND HE IS PAID MUCHO TO PERFORM……………..

10. Captain Jack says:

Wow…they traded Arodys Vizcaino for this? I was worried about him in the AL East and at the Stadium, but fuck…even I didn’t think he’d be this bad. I wanted to root for redemption but it just wasn’t in the cards. They should have brought back Hot Carl.

11. Sean C says:

I could reply to any number of comments on here… But I really, REALLY, wanted Javy to be the best #4 in baseball, but he just didn’t have the stuff to pull off being the best #5 in baseball. I do not blame the AL East or playing in New York. He just lost his stuff. Maybe all those miles on the arm finally caught up with him. He fell significantly short of his 200 IP promise, and simply did not have the velocity/finesse/whatever to be effective against major league batters. However, I do not consider his trade to be a waste; the Yankees thought they were getting a legit-to-elite middle/back end starter. And for a while, he was. It’s a shame his season was book-ended with a number of horrendous starts. Good luck, Javy, wherever you end up.

12. dan says:

I WOULD LIKE HIM TO SIGN WITH THE YANKEES,I CANNOT BELIEVE U SAID THAT HE IS F………..ING AWFUL……..U DO NOT KNOW WHAT U R TALKING ABOUT……….GOWITH HIM!

13. larryf says:

Swish and Tex leave 11 on combined. Awful.

14. Frank says:

What bothers me more than anything is not Vazquez’ awful performance (I’m not at all surprised) as much as Girardi’s insistance the Yanks still are trying to win the division, playing his best players(most of whom need time off to rest), but essentially throwing a BP pitcher out there. The only thing worse was his decision in last Wednesday’s game vs. TB to bring in Gaudin down 3-2 in the 6th with a 2.5 game in the division. We all recall how that turned out.

Girardi should just stop with the scripted BS about wanting to win the division and rest Cano, Tex, Swish and A-Rod. We all know the Yanks rather play the Twins anyway.

15. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

I don’t agree with the statement that A-Rod is having a sub-par year. While hitting .270 is not what we’re used to seeing out of A-Rod, it’s still very respectable with the 30 HRs and 120 RBIs, especially at the age of 35. And as mentioned above, hitting a sparkling .300 with men on base. Definitely not sub-par by any standards.

As for the playoffs, I’d rather take Mitre. Particularly because Girardi doesn’t know how to properly use Gaudin — and by ‘properly use,’ I mean don’t use at all. I don’t care for Mitre, but nobody is as bad as Gaudin. At least by luck Mitre can pitch an inning of minimal damage.

16. Danny says:

If I were Joe, when I pulled javi I would have
    Said. ” pack ur stuff and get out of my club house.
    Your a loser and you don’t belong here

• dan genovese says:

amen.amen. amen.if he is on the playoff roster they should lose on ignorance alone.

• Steve O. says:

I had a dream before game time that Vazquez pitched 7 scoreless innings. Did my dream jinx his performance? I mean look at his performance for evidence.

What I’m getting at is, blame me, Danny, not Javy. It’s not his fault.

• It'sATarp says:

with that standard we should pull AJ aside after his last 20 something starts and ask him for a refund and then kick him to the curb. the only difference i see with AJ and javy at this point is that one will slowly wilt away during a game (javy) while the other is seemingly implode in just 3 innings (AJ)

17. Klemy says:

I really wanted Javy to pitch well. He gave it what he had and it just wasn’t good enough. Good luck on the way out.

At least we won’t have to watch him throw batting practice during games any longer, because we already have AJ for that. ZING

18. CBean says:

It’s never fun to see a pitcher fall apart like Javy has. I wished him well and I’m sad his return to NYC didn’t go better.

19. I, for one, will miss Javy. I still feel like he never got a fair shake here. All the bullshit about him not being able to handle New York is just that. I thought it was a good trade and I still do. People are so quick to forget that he had a great summer and there were even a bunch of starts where he pitched 1 or 2 run ball and lost.

Here’s hoping he’s able to pitch well for another team (but not against the Yankees)

• Brian says:

Love your optimism “Ross in Jersey” that is probably how you convinced Rachel to come back to you in the end. Javy was a terrible trade in that we gave up a lefty reliever and a promising young arm for a guy who has never won a big game in his life. Javy’s quality starts came against alsorans. He was shelled against every team above .500 all season. To give up to promising young pitchers for a guy who has never won a big game never made sense and once again this guy showed that he has absolutely no heart and just crumbled as the season went on.

I tried to see the bright side of it as you are when the trade first happened since Melky being on the team or not wasn’t going to decide the Yanks chances of winning and there was an obvious need to secure the 4th spot in the rotation. Vasquez just was never the right guy for the job and the Yanks made a desperate move in December to get him and are now left in a desperate position to find an adequate 4th starter for the ALCS if they are lucky enough to get there.

• dan genovese says:

well stated…….i would have just said he was dog manure.

• It'sATarp says:

“promising young arm” that assuming Arody’s arm stays on his body. most people never even heard of Arody before the Javy trade then suddenly he’s like the second coming of randy johnson or something once the trade was made. The yanks have far for promising young arms that aren’t injured every year that it would make the trade worth the risk. And on a side note melky if he was still playing for us would have been worth -.7 WAR.

• Not Tank the Frank says:

Javy was the right guy for the job. He had just come off a fantastic season and even though no one expected him to repeat his success, no one could have expected him to regress so drastically. It was a good trade no matter how you look at it. I would trade a young, injury-prone arm that’s miles away from the big leagues, a 5th outfielder and a generic lefty reliever for a starter of Javy’s (previous) caliber every day.

• Pete says:

“Javy was a terrible trade in that we gave up a lefty reliever and a promising young arm for a guy who never won a big game in his life.”

I’m gonna go ahead and break down the Javy trade, mmk?

Yankees give up:

Arodys Vizcaino: still a fairly promising prospect – pretty good stuff, multiple pitches, good command. Still miles away from the bigs, with one significant arm injury on his belt already.

Melky Cabrera: sucks. just terrible. horrendously bad. was meh on the yankees, made up for it with a few big hits, and just got fat and shitty when he went to the braves. bad fielder, horrible hitter.

Mike Dunn: Sean Henn.

Yankees Get:

Javier Vazquez: massively underperformed on the year, did not live up to his contract. But did so pretty conveniently: In April, CC, AJ, Andy, and Phil were all spectacular. From May through June, CC was only OK, Andy still rocked, and Phil and AJ completely shat the bed in June, and were otherwise decent. During that time, Javier was lights out, giving the Yankees at least three reliable starters for the entirety of that time. A disappointment for sure, but not altogether valueless.

Boone Logan: way, WAY better than Mike fucking Dunn.

Javy Vazquez trade: STILL a good trade for the Yanks.

• Cecala says:

Arodys still has not pitched a full season yet. I agree with this post 100%. The Yankees basically took a flyer on Vazquez and his contract is not even as bad as people are making it out to be because we lost $3 mil on Melky Cabrera’s raise (thank god).

If Javy lived up to last year this trade would have been amazing considering the rise of Boone Logan and having a legit Cy Young candidate as our #4.

• Captain Jack says:

Yankees give up:

Yankees Get:

Javier Vazquez: massively underperformed on the year, did not live up to his contract. A disappointment for sure, but not altogether valueless.

Boone Logan: way, WAY better than Mike fucking Dunn.

Javy Vazquez trade: STILL a good trade for the Yanks.

At best that’s a wash, and that’s assuming you’re right…which, you aren’t. Vazquez had a -.5 WAR, and a 5.57 FIP yet a 5.32 ERA suggesting that he out performed his true ability and was something less than valueless.

20. Matt DiBari says:

People seem to like the idea of Javier Vazquez the Yankee alot more than the reality. If he gets too much flak from the casual fan, he gets way too much benefit of the doubt from the “enlightened” internet fan.

21. Graig not Craig says:

This should teach the Yankees not to give pitchers without four “t”‘s in their last name a second chance.

22. Pete says:

Javier Vazquez, with ZERO foretelling evidence pre-2010, went from sitting 91-92 and touching 94 often, to go along with 3 good offspeed pitches and good control and command, to sitting 86-87, sometimes touching 90, and losing command of his offspeed pitches. That’s it. It has NOTHING to do with Javy’s personality, or what have you, and it does not mean Javy “sucks, plain and simple”.

He does suck. Right now. He has sucked for 2+ months, and sucked in April, too. His ridiculously diminished stuff suggests NOW that he’ll continue to suck for the foreseeable future, unless he’s secretly injured. That being said, there was absolutely NOTHING that suggested he’d be this bad before coming here. I’m not saying he was going to have a repeat of his 2009 year, because of course he wasn’t. But going into the season Javy would have been an excellent bet to give us 200+ innings of 4.10-4.30 ERA ball. Not many teams have #3s who can do that, let alone #4s/#5s.

Javy’s year hasn’t proven the pre-2010 naysayers right, unless there was somebody out there who was saying before the season started that he’d lose 5+ mph off his fastball this year. I don’t remember anybody saying that, though. And that is 209383203% of the reason why he has sucked this year. Stuff. Not guile, not personality, not prior suckitude. Just stuff.

23. Ace says:

I hope this is the end of Vazquez’s career. It will piss me off to see him come back with another team and do well. This a-hole has f’d us over one too many times. Take your money and get the hell out of NY. POS.

• Pete says:

Since when does losing velocity due to excessive mileage on the arm of a guy not quite normal-sized for a MLB pitcher = being an asshole? I guess every single person on this site is an asshole, since not one of them can regularly top 90 mph with good command and offspeed stuff, then.

24. dan genovese says:

we r being paid 12 million to be that freaking bad.

25. godfather says:

so it has come to the point where javy has gone from a dead-arm period to a dead arm — period. so be it; he’s had a solid career, and i’m sure he’d like to erase the nyy portion, too; pavano, too, called “american idle” by moose, would like to forget nyy, too, perhaps; no way nyy would have the balls to bring him back, although he’d be the current no. 2; funny how health works