Oct

Open Thread: Another day off

This picture makes me laugh. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

Sheesh, life without Yankee baseball stinks, doesn’t it? These six days off are going to suck, I don’t know what to do with myself. My nightly routine is all out of whack. Anyway, it’s for the best. The players get to rest, the coaches get to game plan, yadda yadda yadda. Just a few more days and they’ll be back at it.

For now, here’s your open thread. The Braves are sending Derek Lowe to the mound on three day’s rest to try to save their season at 7:37pm ET (TBS), the Giants are countering with young Madison Bumgarner. Brooks Conrad is not starting the game, if you’re wondering. Can’t say I’m surprised by that. Meanwhile, the Jets are playing Vikings at 8:30pm (ESPN), which should be fun. You guys know what to do, so have at it.

Oh, and in case you missed it, here’s the MoneyBart episode of The Simpsons from last night. Bill James and Mike SciosciaFace make cameos.

Categories : Open Thread

1. JobaWockeeZ says:

I hope some other team goes down 3-0 to come back to win the series in the ALCS, NLCS or the World Series to spite Curt Schilling.

Ugh.

• Zanath says:

Maybe we will?

• ultimate913 says:

You know the present is bad for them when they’re still thinking about what happened 6 years ago.

Everyone: Yankees are winning and are about to be champions again!
      Schilling: Oh yea? Well, 2004 was awesome.

• I am honored and privileged to be able to call myself one of the 25, because there will be tens of hundreds more World Series champions, but there will never be another team like the 2004 Boston Red Sox.

The only things in sports that will “never happen again” are the things that are realistically impossible to do due to changes between an older era and a modern one, like the pitching records of the deadball era that came from 2 or 3 man rotations/350 IP per season, or winning 5 games in a best-of-9 postseason series.

As long as the ALCS remains a best of 7, though, bet on this: somebody else will make a comeback from down 0-3. People who say “This will never be topped” about a sporting accomplishment are always wrong. Whatever happened before will happen again; whatever record was thought to be insurmountable will be bested.

Sport is an unending progress forward.

• Mike Axisa says:

I dunno man, we’re still waiting for someone to break a four-minute mile.

In all seriousness, I wonder if I’ll be alive when someone breaks a three-and-a-half minute mile. The world record is 3:43:13 (set in 1999), so it took 45 years to shave 17 seconds off the first 4:00 in history. Eh, maybe if I’m lucky.

• I assume you mean 3 minute mile, and I think that would be nearly impossible. That would take 45 seconds for each lap on a regulation 4 lap track, and the world record for the 400m (1/4 of a mile) is 43.18 by Michael Johnson in the same year El G broke the mile record.

I ran :58-1:00 minute 400m sprints when I did track in high school, yet I could not run a 4:00 minute mile, let alone a 4:30 mile. The record at my school for the mile is 4:10 and I believe the 400m record at my school is 47-49 seconds.

• TLVP says:

Or if PED’s get better and permitted. Otherwise no 3.30 will not happen in our lifetime

• JobaWockeeZ says:

That. I’m not going to completely bash Schilling since he was apart of the team but why bring it up in the first place? I don’t see articles about the 1998 Yankees team being possibly the best team ever.

It’ll happen again sometime, I just hope it’s sooner. Unless it’s the Sox again. And I chuckled at this nugget.

We won because we knew that if we focused, no one could beat us.

/MediaPerceptionofCano’d

• Louis says:

Ok but for all intensive purposes, I’d be willing to bet no one breaks cy youngs wins record

• pete says:

unless legal/legitimate medicine advances to the point where people can pitch well into their ’50s. You don’t know that to be untrue. Hell, Satchel Paige got major leagues out when he was what, 56?

That being said, the nature of the modern game and its focus on the preservation of its starting pitchers will certainly make it insanely unlikely.

• Spaceman.Spiff a/k/a Rivera Venue Blues says:

I may be wrong, but the phrase is, “for all intents and purposes,” no?

• Kiersten says:

My favorite is because it happened ONCE, Yankee fans should never think the series is in the bag. Never mind the number of times we’ve swept, let alone the number of times we’ve won a postseason series. Ok Sox fans, keep reminding us that the Yankees choked that once when your team choked, oh what, every year for 86 years?

• Much as I hate to say it, I agree with Curt. That’s just about as good as it gets as a sports story.

The Baseball obsessed city, the (fictitious) Curse, the long suffering rabid fan base, coming down from 3-0 against the hated rivals who practically define their baseball existence, the bloody sock, etc etc. What else could you possibly have? If it was a movie, you’d say it was all too far fetched.

Even if the Cubs won the WS, it’s hard to imagine a scenario that’s any better than the Sox in 04 from a sports journalist’s standpoint. It’s the best Baseball story of my lifetime, and possibly even better than the 1980 Olympic Hockey team or 2007 Giants.

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

2007 Giants and 1980 Hockey are pretty damn good. IDK.

But besides that, who cares if he’s right? It’s totally sour grapes. Yeah, the 04′ Red Sox were an amazing story. So? That has zero bearing on the current WS run.

• Sayid J. says:

Well, the story wasn’t intended to say anything about the Yankees. He was just writing about the 2004 Sox separate from anything else. Inspired by the current playoffs, possibly, but he doesn’t really make any claims about current teams or say anything that’s untrue. Even if it’s stupid/unnecessary to be writing about the series 6 years later.

I think that’s what the Artist was getting at.

• Yeah, ‘sour grapes’ or ‘waxing nostalgic’ is probably in the eye of the beholder when it comes to these two very partisan fan bases. I’m a Yankee fan, but I try to retain some objectivity.

2. I only caught a glimpse of the Simpsons last night but it was awesome

• Ellis says:

Ehh I can’t put my finger on it, but something’s wrong with the Simpsons post-season-12 or so. The timing is off or something, it just doesn’t seem the same. Maybe I should get over my nostalgia and realize times have changed.

3. Dream of Electric Sheep/ still haven't register /too lazy says:

Go Giants ! I believe they are best equipped to beat the Phillies.

4. Bryan says:

The Yankees don’t play till Friday, and the Bruins till Saturday…

This week is gonna be tough.

5. Tom Zig says:

I know the Yankees announced the plan to go with 4 starters in the ALCS, but they didn’t actually say what pitcher will pitch what game right? That would seem contrary to Girardi’s/Cashman’s MO. I had a lengthy discussion with V.Rojas about this, he seems to think the reports say it is possibility #2 but he thinks #1 is the wiser choice. I agreed and disagreed with him at the same time. I disagreed with the fact that the reports say it was possibility #2, but agreed that #1 was the better choice. Of course he is member of the media and I would assume he has his sources. I do not have sources and am just basing this off of what we already know about the Yankees’ MO and what makes the most sense logically. Nor am I saying that I came up with this idea.

So it seems like the two possibilities are:

Possibility 1:

Game 1 – CC (8 days rest)
    Game 2 – Andy (8 days rest)
    Game 3 – Phil (8 days rest)
    Game 4 – CC (3 days rest)
    Game 5 – AJ (17 days rest
    Game 6 – Andy (5 days rest)
    Game 7 – CC (3 days rest)

Possibility 2:

Game 1 – CC (8 days rest)
    Game 2 – Andy (8 days rest)
    Game 3 – Phil (8 days rest)
    Game 4 – AJ (16 days rest)
    Game 5 – CC (regular rest)
    Game 6 – Andy (5 days rest)
    Game 7 – CC on 2 days rest? Phil on regular rest? AJ on 3 days rest?

• I don’t think that Girardi will announce the rotation until about Thursday; around the time he announces the lineup, but I do agree with option 1 being the wisest choice.

• Tom Zig says:

Yeah I tend to agree that their is no way that Girardi announced his rotation already. Everything to him, even the most obvious things are considered state secrets and are not announced until the last possible minute. I agree with this policy. Do not give your opponents any definitive knowledge to which to prepare with. He should lie to the media and say he is leaving CC, Mo and Arod off the roster just to screw with them.

• Dream of Electric Sheep/ still haven't register /too lazy says:

I have no problem with scenario number 1. On 2, I would start Phil in 7, have CC on alert coming out of the BP .

• Nuke Ladoosh says:

Would be so nice to win a laugher in Game1 and get AJ an inning.

• CC has to pitch 3 times. We can’t credibly argue giving Hughes another start over CC based on Phil’s 1 year as a starter and 1 post season start. CC’s body of work dwarfs that of Hughes. CC has pitched well on short rest, and if the series goes 5-6 then he’s perfectly lined up for a Game 1 WS start.

The only scenario where I don’t pitch CC 3 times is if I’m going game by game, and the Yanks jump out to an 2-0 or 3-0 leading the series. Then you have the luxury of keeping everyone on full rest and going 1-3 twice w/Burnett in the middle.

6. So I knew the devils were screwed, but I didn’t realize it was *this* bad

• Isn’t this the equivalent of calling the Yankees done by May? Come on now!

• Blame Kovalchuk.

The Rangers game sucked for me. Del Zotto gave the puck away twice and led to the Isles scoring chances. In the third period, they got careless penalties that led to a 5 on 3 powerplay and two goals by the Isles to win it. Lundqvist rolling around in net didn’t help either. Otherwise, they played pretty well.

But the refs definitely botched the Stepan call when he was against the boards, as well as his assist to an Avery goal when DiPietro let go of the puck before the whistle.

• Mike Axisa says:

Yeah, I didn’t realize they were so stretched for cap space that they had to play with just 15 skaters today. They’re lucky Arnott and Langenbrunner come off the books after the season, otherwise they’d never be able to afford Parise.

Maybe they’ll get lucky and Brodeur will retire, then they’ll have enough money to fill out the rest of the roster.

7. Kit says:

I think Bumgarner is such a tragic last name.

/12 years old

8. CBean says:

I keep telling myself that 6 days off means I can get some actual work done, but instead, I keep refreshing RAB.

9. Carlosologist says:

I honestly hope the Braves lose tonight. Bobby Cox would be able to leave on his home turf and not have his last game be an embarrassing loss to the Phillies.

10. Nuke Ladoosh says:

Hate Tomahawk Chop. Go Giants!

11. Carlosologist says:

Bumgarner started this season throwing 88-89. He’s got gas now. Should be fun for Atlanta.

12. Januz says:

Mike, I have a PSU Question: Is there any chance that Paterno finally retires? We need to do what they did at Florida State with Bowden……….. Put him out to pasture. ps. The 2011 Recruiting Class does not look good, we cannot afford another bad season like this one.

• Mike Axisa says:

I doubt it. He doesn’t do much “coaching” anyway, his assistants and coordinators due most of the work. He’s a bit of a figurehead right now.

• Januz says:

I am sorry to hear that. I think Al Golden could be a nice replacement, anyone who can win at Temple can obviously coach. Not to mention he and his staff, have extensive ties to Happy Valley.

13. Zanath says:

The offense in this series is quite overwhelming.

14. Chris Rock AND Spike Lee?

I have no idea what that means.

15. Hughesus Christo says:

Bumgarner is really effing good too. This Giants pitching staff is nightmarish.

They screwed up so badly with the Rowand/Zito signings. They are developing their ways out of it, but a Crawford/Dunn signing would be so good for them this offseason.

• Carlosologist says:

They have ~20M coming off the books. I’m sure if they advance to the World Series then ownership will allow Sabean to go out and splurge on a bat.

• Carlosologist says:

*then ownership will probably expand payroll and allow Sabean to go out and splurge on a bat.

I miss the edit function.

• Hughesus Christo says:

Where’s the 20 mil coming from?

Considering Sabean’s track record, I’m expecting Adrian Beltre with a move of Sandoval to 1B.

• Zanath says:

And considering Beltre’s track record, I’d expect him not to perform.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Well he’s moving to the NL West if it happens. And since it’s the Giants he’s not facing Lincecum, Cain and Sanchez.

• Zanath says:

I know, but his track record has been that he has (with the exception of 2009, when he was hurt) always performed the best in his contract years. Maybe he’s put it all together finally, but I’m still skeptical.

• Hughesus Christo says:

noonecares

I actually did this in OOTP ’11 with the Giants, but Beltre was relatively cheap because he had a normal season. Sandoval became a GG 1B, Beltre had a pretty good season with excellent defense. We won the division.

/noonecares

16. Zanath says:

Brooks Conrad clearly cast a jinx on Mike Fontenot.

17. Seeing Suzy Kolber dressed down in a tanktop in those pregame production meeting shots gives me a newfound appreciation for her.

She’s doable.

18. Carlosologist says:

Why can’t we be as good as the Braves against pitchers we haven’t seen? D:

• Zanath says:

Yeah I was thinking that too. But I certainly wouldn’t trade that success for the Braves offense.

• Kit says:

Hey, we beat a pitcher we never saw before to clinch our post-season spot. I’d take our adjustment period over the Braves’ everything on any given day.

19. Dela G says:

J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

• Zanath says:

I thought football players could play through a little rain and lightning? That’s what football fans always tell me anyway. Unlike pussy baseball players.

20. Dela G says:

lowe made it look too easy for bumgarner to get out of that

21. Kit says:

GASP. PEOPLE CAN BE FRIENDS IF THEY LIKE DIFFERENT TEAMS?! Blasphemy!

22. Dela G says:

derek lowe works very fast

23. Carlosologist says:

When the hell did Derek Lowe learn to strike people out?

24. http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/a-l.....ive/653?nc

“Though loyal fans of the critically acclaimed, woefully underappreciated series “Friday Night Lights” know exactly who Minka Kelly is, the majority of the general public might wonder why Kelly was tapped to follow in the famous footsteps of former Sexiest Women Alive — who include Kate Beckinsale, Halle Berry, Charlize Theron, Scarlett Johansson, Jessica Biel, and Angelina Jolie.”

25. Hughesus Christo says:

I apparently lost Mark Clayton and Calvin Johnson yesterday. I did sit on Marshawn Lynch waiting for a trade, and I still have Andre Johnson… but wtf is up with Greg Jennings?

Why do I even play fantasy football? It’s a joke.

26. JDDZIp says:

According to mlbtr Damon said

After being informed by the Tigers that they will look elsewhere to find a designated hitter for 2011, Johnny Damon says that he is very open to another stint with the Yankees, according to George A. King of the New York Post.

“I would love to have that as an option,” Damon said. “It would be very exciting to go back there.”

I wouldnt mind Damon returning for one year. He is suited perfectly for Yankee Stadium and if we miss out on Crawford which seems likely with the Red Sox/Angels pursuing him hard we could have him back up Gardner

Anyone agree?

27. There is only one quarterback in the NFL this year with at least 100 passes attempted and no interceptions.

His name is Mark Sanchez.

28. Carcillo says:

So the fans are pretty into it at Turner Field.

Gee, I wonder if not making the playoffs for five years makes the them appreciate playoff baseball again.

29. Carlosologist says:

This is the first time the Braves have scored first in the series.

#offensiveineptitude

• Carcillo says:

Game 3 of the ALDS was the first time the Yankees had scored first against the Twins in a playoff game since the 2003 NLDS.

Hell, it wasn’t until the 8th Yankees/Twins game at the new Stadium that the Yankees scored first, and they won the previous seven games, in addition to that 8th game.

In fact, that’s probably the worst thing for Twins fans in all of this. The Twins have led in virtually every game, and still lose. Talk about setting yourself up for disappointment.

30. Dream of Electric Sheep/ still haven't register /too lazy says:

I noticed Fontenot is at third . What happen to the Panda?

31. WWJMD says:

I know this is thinking into the future a bit but all these off days suck.

My 1st question is, if the Yanks and Phils meet up in the WS(long shot), and the Yanks get dominated by their rotation, Cashmoney hands Cliff Lee a blank check the 1st day he can?

My 2nd questions is, do you think, with a good postseason, you would trust Phillip as the #2/#3 starter if Andy comes back for 2011? The Yankees could acquire a cheap middle of the rotation guy and use some money to lock-up some younger guys like Hughes/Joba/Swish/Cano.

• You lost me at “(long shot), and the Yanks get dominated by their rotation“.

• JGS says:

No matter what happens in the playoffs, I bet Cashman hands Cliff Lee a check that, while not blank, is more than anyone else can offer.

With that in mind, the rotation would be CC and Lee for the front end and Andy, Hughes, and AJ for the back end. No need to lock up Joba, who is just hitting his first year of arbitration and won’t pull in all that much. Hughes will pull in more for his 18-win season but it won’t be that huge. Swisher is signed for next year with a club option for 2012 and Cano has options for 2012 and 2013.

• WWJMD says:

But wouldn’t it be awesome to see Cano locked up for 10 years the way DJ was and not have to worry about his next contract for awhile. He’s proven he is durable and a heck of a player. Swish would probably have to wait until the end of his contract when you factor in that this is his first outstanding season as an all around offensive threat but could make the front office nervous with his tendency to get bruised up but never seriously hurt.

• Kiersten says:

And the Yankees offer players extensions since… never.

Moving on.

• WWJMD says:

Randy Johnson

• JGS says:

The only exception is pre-arbitration players who would get very big raises through that process, similar to Jeter’s first megadeal and Cano’s contract. Depending on how Hughes does next year, it wouldn’t be crazy to lock him up either.

• Mike Axisa says:

Second baseman don’t age very well because of the beatings they take around the bag on double plays and stuff. Usually they fall off a cliff at age 32-33.

Cano’s signed for what, three more years? That’s plenty.

• WWJMD says:

I don’t see that being the case for Cano because he is so durable but you never do know how a player will age. All I know is the kid can hit and I dont think not do I ever want to see him stop. I was counting on him to take over Jeters spot in my heart whenever he….retires. I need Yankee baseball. Now Im thinking so far into the future I see the Captains retirement speech.

• ZZ says:

I really cannot understand the swarms of people, many of whom are generally intelligent and realistic baseball fans, that are handing the Phillies the NL pennant let alone the World Series. It is just so counter intuitive to me I simply cannot wrap my head around it.

The better team (and I don’t think the Phillies are the best team in the playoffs) very often loses during a 5 or 7 game series. The probability is with the Phillies to go to the World Series, but it is not even close to an overwhelming probability that many are making it out to be.

It wouldn’t have been shocking if the Phillies lost to the Reds. It won’t be shocking if the Phillies lose to the Giants or Braves.

It is a completely realistic scenario well within a normal range of probability.

• Dream of Electric Sheep/ still haven't register /too lazy says:

I would be shocked they lose to the Braves. The Giants with it’s left handed and general excellent starting pitching has a realistic chance of beating the Phils.

• WWJMD says:

The Braves are definitely not anywhere as close to good as the Phillies and the Giants will only go as far as Pat Burrell and Buster Posey will carry them. I only see the 3 remaining AL teams posing a real threat to that team.

• ZZ says:

Like I said the better team does not always win in a 5 or 7 game series.

You are vastly overestimating the probability of the Phillies winning the NL pennant.

• bexarama says:

Well of course it’s silly to just hand the pennant/WS win to them. It’s also silly to act like they’re not the dominant team in the NL, IMO. I think it’d be pretty shocking if they lost to the Reds or Braves, but I can see the Giants pulling out some 3-2, 4-3, type victories. But then again, Atlanta had THREE ACES – who were usually supplanted by a really really really really good fourth starter – and only got one championship, so.

• Kit says:

Ye of little faith. I don’t think the Phillies are properly challenged by the NL, which is why they look so dominant. They have a great rotation and it’s formidable, don’t get me wrong, but they don’t see offenses that compare to the Yankees’. Halladay is scary, Oswalt and Hammels are incredible, but the Yankees can break through and do damage.

They should make the effort to acquire Cliff as soon as possible, but if it’s money he wants or rings, he’ll find them both here. There’s also CC who he is close friends with, so I can see him coming to the Yankees. Not to say there isn’t a chance he’ll go elsewhere, but he looks set to come here and I can’t wait to see him.

• WWJMD says:

I don’t think they will shut us out and sweep us but they have looked mighty good for the past month and haven’t really slowed done in the playoffs. Im just saying that if they did dominate the Yanks I would be surprised but I do think it is possible.

32. CBean says:

It’s hailing outside.

33. Carlosologist says:

The greatest hitter of all time is on mic right fucking now.

34. mustang says:

Minka Kelly is Esquire’s sexiest woman alive for 2010.

Even on a off day Jeter is still getting big hits.

JETERIAN!!!

35. Carlosologist says:

Derek Lowe has a no-hitter through 5? Damn, there goes the Lincecum-Halladay NLCS Game 1 matchup.

36. poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

Just to continue the discussion of baseball signs from earlier:

This is, easily, the best sign ever. Held up by an Arizona fan, game 6 of the 2001 WS.

…I just looked, and can find no picture. But it said:

It takes more than nine Yanks to beat our Johnson

Every sign aspires to be this sign.

• Carlosologist says:

Legendary.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Not baseball, but a sign at a USC – UCLA football game:

Lubricate the Trojans

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

It’s still comes in secon to the 2001 WS sign.

That sign is the reason I have not lost all hope when it comes to signs at baseball games. IT is a flash-of-lightning stroke of genius by an enlightened soul.

37. Kit says:

The guy screaming at Bumgarner is getting on my nerves. STFU random guy. You’re fucking loud.

38. I’m rooting for the Braves, especially after yesterday’s debacle.

But even with them having a 1-0 lead, I can’t help but think to myself “ummmm….who’s closing this game?”

39. http://www.tmz.com/2010/10/08/.....n-coleman/

You know, if you have to pay 125K to break up with a girlfriend, you might want to consider Heidi Fleiss.

40. Hughesus Christo says:

WTF is this strike zone

41. Jerome S. says:

Well, fuck the no-no.

42. Carlosologist says:

Cody Ross is not impressed by Lowe’s out distribution.

43. poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

Wow, Ross’s HR just came out of fucking nowhere.

44. Carcillo says:

Cody Ross knows that ballpark.

45. Dream of Electric Sheep/ still haven't register /too lazy says:

Cody baby ! The Giants got him for free!

46. Kit says:

That was sudden.

47. Carcillo says:

Must be the game of quick strike home runs.

48. Nuke Ladoosh says:

McCann. Of Bumgarden. Hah!

49. Hughesus Christo says:

Bochy is pretty bad, ya’ll.

50. bexarama says:

It’d be so much easier to root for the Braves if they didn’t have the stupid-ass racist chop cheer.

51. ZZ says:

If the Braves win this game they should start Lowe on Wednesday.

52. Raymond Samuels says:

Yankees are playing with house money most pundits did not pick us to get out of the first round of the playoffs

53. dkidd in sunny los angeles says:

jake gyllenhaal needs to just come out of the closet already

54. Jerome S. says:

Bochy: What’s this stat mean?
    IT Guy: It’s how often he gets on base. Why do you keep asking me, I’m here to fix your server.

55. Carcillo says:

From 2002-2004, the Braves had home field advantage in the first round of the playoffs, against San Francisco, Chicago, and Houston, and in all three of those years, they went to a decisive fifth game, and lost at home.

Almost gives me hope that Texas wins tomorrow.

• ZZ says:

Why do you prefer Texas to win?

• I’m rooting for Texas to lose.

Not because I fear one team anymore than the other, no… I’m rooting for Texas to lose because that state sucks and I want to see their “Only team never to have won a postseason series” streak continue for as long as possible.

• Not Carcillo, but I see Texas as the inferior team of the two. I’d rather face them than Tampa.

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

Because they’re not as good as Tampa Bay.

• ZZ says:

I’ll ask you as well. Why?

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

Well for one thing, they have six less wins which, while not an indicator of how they’re playing RIGHT NOW, is not a small amount at all and does point to some sort of deficiency in that Texas team that Tampa Bay simply doesn’t have. That alone makes me more wary right off the bat of Tampa Bay than Texas.

I’ll have to look up the stats though to give you more details.

• Total Dominication says:

Because they’re quite a bit worse than the Rays?

• ZZ says:

What makes them quite a bit worse?

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Because the Rays have the ability to hit away. And in a SSS the Rangers got blanked out in YS3.

• ZZ says:

That’s the reason for real?

• JobaWockeeZ says:

I don’t give a shit who the Yankees face. But yes I do find the Rangers inferior. They can’t hit away, and only two of their starters really seem dominant.

• JGS says:

only two of their starters really seem dominant.

Who on Tampa is dominant other than Price?

(I don’t really care who wins Game 5, as I don’t think either team will be easier than the other. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, and the Yankees match up well against both.)

• Kit says:

I agree with you about not caring who wins. I would prefer Texas because their bullpen/starting pitching seems weaker, but you never know what any person is capable of in any given situation. Tampa is troublesome because of their defense, pitching and their running game, but some of the Rangers have good career numbers against Andy, so it’s not like either team is a solid lock for us to win against.

• JGS says:

Texas also has a more pronounced platoon split (team .772 OPS against RHP, .718 vs. LHP as opposed to Tampa, which is .737/.733), not to mention the ugly home/road (.800/.716)–Texas on the road against a lefty sounds like it would be ugly.

Neither team is a lock for anything, but against either team the Yankees would be slight favorites.

• Kit says:

Right. The Yankees definitely have the advantage against both.

• ZZ says:

I know. Everyone that has responded seems to. I don’t necessarily disagree, but I am trying to find out why you and others think that.

To follow up.

How many dominate starters do the Rays have? The Rays may hit away, but they don’t really hit at home this season. Their home OPS is only 10 points higher than the Rangers road OPS. Does their split really matter then in this case, especially since the Rays/Rangers have HFA?

• Carcillo says:

The #2′s for both Texas and Tampa aren’t much of a concern to have if we’re basing it on prior history.

Matt Garza hasn’t beaten the Yankees in the past two years, and the Yankees had their way against Wilson this season, despite only winning one of the three games he pitched (he sucked in those two games, nonetheless).

• Carcillo says:

I think their inexperience plays right into the Yankees’ hands. If nothing else, many players on the Rays know how to get the job done in the playoffs (hell, they just battled from 0-2 with a pair of road wins, pretty uncommon) and they’ve played the Yankees 18 times this season with a good deal of success. Both teams know each others strengths and weaknesses. I think this Yankee team can beat anyone if they play their game, but the Rays certainly give them fits on the basepaths.

With the Rangers, they strike me as a team that is prone to wilting under the pressure, they’re a very young team, and outside of Lee, their rotation is eminently beatable. In the last series against them, in Arlington, the Yankees were a hit here or a hit there from taking two of three, instead they got swept. That’s baseball, but I was completely unimpressed by Texas in that series.

Regardless what happens, I think the Yankees will win. I think those odds are higher vs. Texas.

56. Carlosologist says:

/Grady Little’d

57. rasta says:

which free agent should Yanks get next year?

58. Kiersten says:

Earlier, the headline for this game on MLB.com was: “Don’t blink: Giants have Braves’ Season on Brink.”

Worst headline ever or worst headline ever?

59. Hughesus Christo says:

Look at that grit from Lowe.

I got this, Cox. I GOT THIS!

60. ZZ says:

Impressive performance.

61. Kiersten says:

My uncle pointed out to me earlier that the Braves had two starters in their lineup back-to-back that bat right and throw left, Ross and Bumgarner. How often does THAT happen?

• JGS says:

Ross and Ryan Ludwick are the only current non-pitchers that do that.

• Jon in CUO says:

I believe Nick Swisher is one of the few MLB switch-hitters that throws left.

• Jon in CUO says:

Heh, actually, Swisher, Lance Berkman, and Melky Cabrera seem to be the only MLB position players that switch-hit yet throw left. Amazing.

• JGS says:

b-ref PI search for 2010 season “bats switch, throws left” came up with:

Swisher
            Berkman
            Melky
            Justin Smoak
            Daniel Nava
            Cedrick Bowers
            JC Romero

Not sure why a couple of relievers (Bowers is an AL reliever no less) are on there, but there you have it.

62. Kit says:

Foreshadowing. Nice.

63. Carlosologist says:

At least he didn’t throw a bitch fit.

64. Zanath says:

Poor Braves.

65. JobaWockeeZ says:

For the sake of my fantasy team I need this game to be a slugfest with the Jets kicker getting NO points.

66. Nuke Ladoosh says:

Best play in baseball is the play at the plate.

67. poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

Come on Atlanta, come back and win this shit.

68. pete says:

“anything that’s the something of something isn’t really the anything of anything”

-great line. Though McGill seems pretty awesome

69. Carlosologist says:

Hypothetical: Gardner for Tommy Hanson? I think it would be a pretty good move for both sides. It gives Atlanta a reliable CF and it gives us a good young RHP with room to grow (We’ve kinda fucked over Joba).

This only happens if the Yanks decide to sell high on Gardner after the season.

70. bexarama says:

From tonight. This here internets move fast! (NSFW, language)

71. JerseyDutch says:

Jets are up 3-0 if anyone cares. And if you don’t, lol whatevs.

72. gio says:

Anyone else see this strange quote from Cashman: “What I’m communicating to our fans is they need to be prepared for a four-man rotation and that probably includes A.J. Burnett.” What the hell does that even mean? Is he warning fans not to buy tickets to the game AJ’s pitching?

73. Jerome S. says:

Is it acceptable to root for someone getting injured tomorrow in the Rays-Rangers game?
    Or would that be taking it one step too far?

74. Nuke LaDoosh says:

whenever i hear the tomohawk chop chant, particularly when the braves play the yanks…i hear Mo, oh oh oh oh oh, Mo Mo Mo – helps me get through the insanity

75. Esteban says:

Why wasn’t Gonzalez running?

76. Reggie C. says:

SO FUCKING CLOSE.

I cant believe Santonio almost came down with that one. Sick body control.

77. Esteban says:

Sanchez is just a little off tonight, gotta connect on those deep balls.

78. JerseyDutch says:

The spirit of Christopher Columbus is looking down upon the Braves fans doing the war whoop and thinking, “This isn’t what I had in mind at all.”

79. Carlosologist says:

I’m still amazed at the fact AL East rejects are the decisive factors in the NL playoffs.

• Freddy Sanchez: Red Sox

Troy Glaus: Blue Jays
      Alex Gonzalez: Red Sox/Blue Jays
      Melky Cabrera: Yankees
      Matt Diaz: Rays
      Eric Hinske: Not the Orioles

80. Nuke LaDoosh says:

a vineyard? give me a break.

81. Dela G says:

heyward has been garbage this series

82. Dela G says:

santonio holmes ftw

83. Ivan says:

Wow Kimbrel got a arm.

84. Hughesus Christo says:

Brian McCann – Most underrated MLBer?

85. Carcillo says:

Must be receiver reunion week.

Minnesota reacquired Randy Moss, now New England reacquired Deion Branch.

86. JerseyDutch says:

6-0 Jets. Yeah yeah, Sanchez still sucks. I know. :)

87. poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

Here we go Atlanta. 3 outs for your season.

88. Dream of Electric Sheep/ still haven't register /too lazy says:

I wonder if Bochy would start Sanchez in Phillie and save Cain for game 3 at home.

89. Jason Neighborgall’s line at A level South Bend in 2007 is just incredible:

5 G, 1 IP, 3 H, 12 BB, 2 SO, 3 HBP, 9 WP, 108.00 ERA.

90. poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

How fucking awesome would it be for Conrad to hit a HR?

91. JerseyDutch says:

OMG, there’s a big beard on the mound. Wonder if it can pitch?

92. Hughesus Christo says:

HALLADAY/LINCECUM MUST HAPPEN.

93. Nuke LaDoosh says:

loving a halladay lincecum match up

94. JerseyDutch says:

Hinske!

95. Hughesus Christo says:

Wilson looked burned out last night, so…

96. Kit says:

Wilson again? Scary beard man.

97. Carlosologist says:

#throwstrikesdammit

98. Nuke LaDoosh says:

love tim hudson pinch run

99. swisher's fauxhawk says:

Melky Cabrera on deck.

Hahahah.

100. JerseyDutch says:

Melky on deck. I smell magic.

101. Carlosologist says:

Melky’s on deck? Shit, this is going to Game 5.

/hopefully not

102. Dela G says:

wow braves are choking

103. Anthony Murillo says:

Here comes Melky

104. Brad Toughy says:

The Braves season comes down to Melky Cabrera.

105. bexarama says:

The Braves’ season is up to… Melky Cabrera.

Yeah.

106. Hughesus Christo says:

OH GOD. MELKY.

107. Bobby Cox, it is up to Melky Cabrera to extend your managerial career.

108. Carcillo says:

Walk-off Melky time.

109. Peedlum says:

I like the Melkman, but its hard to see any teams entire season come down to him.

110. Ivan says:

Figures….

111. JerseyDutch says:

Poor Melky.

112. Carlosologist says:

Yay Giants win!

113. /waits for inevitable chorus of “Fuck yeah!”

114. Kit says:

Well done, Giants. *golf clap*

115. Jerome S. says:

Melky, aha.

116. Kiersten says:

Same old Melky we know and lo-

Same Melky.

117. All Star Carl says:

Man that sucks.

Lincecum vs Halladay. Can’t wait.

118. Nuke LaDoosh says:

I’m kind of glad the Bobby Cox MSM story is over, no disrespect for the man’s career, hope you understand what I mean

119. poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

How anticlimactic, Melky.

120. Hughesus Christo says:

Well, when your season rides on the worst player in baseball getting a hit off a lights-out closer… yeah, that’s not good.

• Dream of Electric Sheep/ still haven't register /too lazy says:

worst player?

• Hughesus Christo says:

Check fangraphs, bro.

By quite a margin, too.

• Tom Zig says:

You clicked on “qualified players only”. If you click on “All players” and go to page 36…

There are 4 non-pitcher batters (it doesn’t make sense until you actually go to page 36) worse than him.

Luis Valbuena
          Akinori Iwamura
          Brandon Wood
          Pedro Feliz

They had less playing time than Melky and cost their team more wins. In fact: Luis Valbuena, Brandon Wood, and Pedro Feliz are all worth more runs below average with the bat than the pitchers on that list.

121. Dream of Electric Sheep/ still haven't register /too lazy says:

SF Giants will win in 6 against the Phils!

122. Betty Lizard says:

Announcer: “The Giants did it the hard way! Winning two games on the road!”

And what OTHER team won two games on the road?

(Thinks)

123. Kiersten says:

Holy hail storm.

Ya’ll been getting some crazy weather up there.

124. Dela G says:

man the refs are god awful

125. Reggie C. says:

Cox may be gone and Chipper may be on his last legs, but I think the Braves have got got a talented, cheap core of Hanson, Heyward, and … damn. I guess its really only 2 deep. Guys like Freddie Freeman and Mike Minor miiiiiiiiiiiight be ready by August of next season.

I guess the Braves should look to trade for Prince Fielder. If not, i guess signing a Jayson Werth would be a top priority.

126. Nuke LaDoosh says:

so…was McCAN off Bumgarden the biggest score of the game?

127. Kit says:

Oh no, Bobby, please don’t cry. It’ll make me cry and I don’t want to.

128. Big Stein says:

Philly is gonna have their hands full with Lincecum and Sanchez

129. Dela G says:

the jets defense has been sick!

130. Carlosologist says:

What a touching moment for Bobby Cox.

131. Hughesus Christo says:

The baseball gods gave us the Lincecum/Halladay matchup we all (I) wanted.

Prepare yourselves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL6_1W5Guls

• rbizzler says:

Honestly, I agree but I am going to sit back and enjoy that match-up no matter what the outcome. Then, I am going to enjoy the Halladay-Lincecum pairing in Game 1 of the NLCS.

These are two prime examples of why I laugh when people claim that MLB is on decline.

132. god dammit I needed the Jets to blank the Vikings

133. Dela G says:

wow what a touchdown pass

134. Esteban says:

Ahhh Jets are gonna convert a red zone appearance into a TD right? C’mon!

135. Esteban says:

Shittttttttttttttttt

136. Tom Zig says:

fun fact:

Among all qualified players, Brett Gardner has the highest UZR and UZR/150.

• Tom Zig says:

Although Peter Bourjos in about half the innings total as Brett Gardner has a higher UZR/150. He is the closest to becoming “qualified” among the massive group of “unqualified” players.

137. Esteban says:

Finally a TD! Woo

138. Tom Zig says:

Fun fact #2:

By fWAR the LEAST valuable players in all of MLB.

1. Pedro Feliz (-2.1)
    2. Brandon Wood (-1.8)
    3t. Ryan Rowland-Smith(-1.6)
    3t. Akinori Iwamura (-1.6)
    5t. Brian Tallet (-1.5)
    5t. Luis Valbuena (-1.5)
    7. Melky Cabrera (-1.2)

139. Dela G says:

unbelievable

favre wont die

140. swisher's fauxhawk says:

That’s an F for our clock management exam.

141. Dela G says:

and jets pretty much have this wrapped up