Oct

Open Thread: NCAA Football Comes To The Bronx

That pic comes courtesy of the Yankees, and it’s obviously a shot of the field goal posts being put up in Yankee Stadium in advance of the two NCAA football games that will be played there this winter. Army and Notre Dame will meet on November 20th, and exactly a month later two teams will meet in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl. Apparently the field will be laid out like this, which is … interesting. Anyone out there going to either of the games? I sure as hell ain’t.

Anyway, here’s your open thread for the evening. It’s Friday, so I suggest going out and doing something fun. If you’re stuck inside, you could always seek the comfort of the Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Islanders, and/or Devils, all of whom are in action tonight. Talk about whatever, go nuts.

Categories : Open Thread

• CP says:

“There are some decent free agent options available — Javier Vazquez, Jake Westbrook, Carl Pavano and Jorge de la Rosa are a few.”

You know your team is bad when Javy Vazquez and Carl Pavano seem like decent free agent pitchers.

1. ryan says:

is that really the football layout? the endzones are in the dugout?

2. Poopy Pants says:

Yuck.
    College football = legalized slavery

• Brad Toughy says:

No one is forcing the kids to play. I played college ball for two years and loved it. If they’re really concerned about injuring themselves, don’t play—it’s really fairly simple.

• Kiersten says:

They’re just getting top-notch educations for free. But yeah, slavery.

College football >>>> pro football.

• Esteban says:

Does the compensation of CFB approximate how much revenue major CFB programs generate? Of course the programs reap millions but if the players receive a free meal somewhere, they’re banned from the NCAA. Seems fair right. CFB exists as a free minor league for the NFL, and both the schools and the NFL are gonna keep it that way.

• CP says:

College football player receive more in compensation than minor league baseball players. A full ride college scholarship is worth far more than the pittance that minor league baseball players are paid.

3. first time lawng time says:

Is there a reason why they don’t sell Yankees Road Jerseys in women’s sizes?

The only ones I found are in the men’s section and I think those would be too big.

Help?

4. Jenny says:

Yankee Stadium will be a horrible place to watch a football game.

5. Xstar7 says:

I wonder what the attendance is gonna be at these games.

6. Tom Zig says:

I hate winter. Can someone tell me when it will be 95 and humid again?

7. I can’t wait until they blame a missed field goal on the RF wind tunnels

8. Carlosologist says:

What channel is the Knicks game on?

9. JobaWockeeZ says:

And the Nets are up 20 points. What the fuck.

10. candyforstalin says:

what are the chances that, in 2012, the a’s think 3m is too much to pay anderson and he ends up replacing pettitte in the rotation?

11. Jerome S says:

Joke of the century:
    Nets 2011 champions.

Wat.

12. Carlosologist says:

“…From Robin to Batman…”

Was that a shot at LeBron? (Hint: Yes.)

13. Xstar7 says:

The Nets aren’t a real basketball team.

14. LeftyLarry says:

College football is a blast.Flew out to the Ohio ST / Wisconsin game in Madison 2 weeks ago and the game and atmoshphere were just amazing.
    Ny’ers don’t get the pagentry and historical significance of College football and that’s too bad.

15. Jimmy McNulty says:

I’m getting pretty sick of these “The Yankees don’t need Cliff Lee” articles over at the YankeeU. Basically the other options are this:

Internally, which leaves us desirable candidates such as Phelps, Nova, Mosley, and Kei Igawa. While I have confidence in Nova’s ability to be a good sixth starter, I have absolutely zero confidence in his ability to pitch a full 200 innings and have an ERA below five. The same goes for Mosley and Phelps, not in the AL East. Adam Warren may be an option later in the year, but I really don’t want to go into next year relying in someone currently in the Scranton Wilkes Barre rotation, much less the Trenton Rotation.

Zack Greinke, great…most of us were, at the very least, uncomfortable giving up Montero for Cliff Lee…so naturally, the idea is to trade Jesus Montero and other high ceiling young talent for a worse pitcher, when a better pitcher might be available for a salary the Yankees can afford. This makes as much sense as Hugh Heffner getting a hooker.

Sign another FA pitcher, this is about as appealing as option number one, but comes with the added benefit of adding salary. Either you count on Jake Westbrook or another similarly mediocre pitcher or you give a 37 year old Koruda a contract and ask him to move from a pitcher’s park in the NL West to a HR friendly park in the AL East. Another brilliant idea. Next I think they should trade Montero and Cano for Ryan Howard.

Trade for another pitcher, this is a smorgasbord of bad ideas. It combines the giving up good young talent aspect of the Greinke idea and the adding salary for bad talent (in most cases) of the sign another FA pitcher idea. Look, unless Josh Johnson or Felix Hernandez is available, I don’t think the Yankees should be looking at the trade market to fix their rotation issues. Some people suggest Nolasco…why? He has a GB% of 39 for his career playing in the NL. Had they not seen how Javier Vazquez and Phil Hughes struggle with the long ball in the stadium this year? Why would you add another pitcher with similar struggles and give up good young talent?

I know Cliff Lee’s not exactly Brandon Webb out there, but his command is at an unheard of level, and over the past few years he’s shown he’s able to control his HR/FB ratio, even while spending some time in good hitters environments.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Note: it’s not just the YankeeU articles…I’m also getting sick of my friends saying the Yankees don’t need CLiff Lee and shouldn’t sign him. It’s getting dumb.

• UWS says:

The worry with Cliff Lee is that he’s a 32 yo dude, potentially with back problems, who will command a CC-sized contract. How many of those can the Yankees reasonably afford?

• Tom Zig says:

Potential back problems. We’re not talking about Alfredo Aceves type back injury. Lee just had a “strained muscle”, whatever that means. He received a cortisone injection and has been fine, since.

• bexarama says:

That’s not quite accurate. Most people were very uncomfortable giving up Montero for a rental of Cliff Lee, when he was hitting the free agent market after the season was over. More people felt fine about trading him for, say, Halladay last offseason.

I agree with the rest of this argument, in general. Though some people are concerned about the years/money thing with Lee, which is always understandable with an older pitcher. Someone like Kuroda’s older too, but of course he’s not looking for the contract Lee will be.

• candyforstalin says:

one penny above 125m, i’d take my chances with kuroda.

• Tom Zig says:

I don’t understand the Kuroda obsession. He’ll be 36 before opening day. He had 3 pretty good years in the NL West. Nothing spectacular though. 36 year olds transitioning to the AL East for the first time don’t usually go so well.

• Kiersten says:

Ok, I’m sorry for this, but

WHY DO YOU CARE WHAT THE YANKEES ARE PAYING HIM?

Guess what, it’s not your money. Whether the Yankees do or don’t sign Cliff Lee, bleacher tickets are still gonna cost $14 next year, a Bud Light is still gonna cost $9, etc. Let the Yankees pay him what they want to pay him and be happy that you have a top 5 and two top 10 pitchers on your team.

• bexarama says:

some people are uncomfortable with the idea of having so much money wrapped up in 30+ YO pitchers in CC, AJ, and theoretically Cliff Lee. I don’t so much worry about the money as much as the years, because while I think a budget exists, I think the Steinbrenners are also really happy to increase that budget if they feel moves are necessary.

• Tom Zig says:

Well if your concern is 30+ Year old pitchers then Kuroda is not the answer. The problem is the drop off between Lee and the 2nd best guy on the market.

Pitching wins championships and obviously we didn’t have enough of it this past year to get it done.

• bexarama says:

Well if your concern is 30+ Year old pitchers then Kuroda is not the answer.

Well the issue with Lee that some people have is the years. Kuroda is even older than Lee but Kuroda isn’t going to want like 5-6 years, not even close. I guess some people figure Kuroda could be a stop-gap while the guys in the minors develop.

The problem is the drop off between Lee and the 2nd best guy on the market.

Agreed. It’s a precipitous drop. I would really like Lee and I am not arguing against him at all, I’m just trying to show how other people think of it.

• Tom Zig says:

I know Kuroda won’t want 5-6 years but he’ll probably want 2-3. In which case he’ll be the same age as Lee will be when his 5-6 year deal expires, and you’ll get less production with a roster spot still tied up (albeit for less money).

(When I said you, I didn’t mean you specifically)

• Dirty Pena says:

But Kuroda has proven he can pitch til the age of 36, meaning he’s got a good chance of pitching til he’s 38. For all we know, Cliff Lee could (long shot, obviously) be washed up in 2 years, and then we’re stuck with four more.

• Kiersten says:

Oh yes, years are certainly a concern.

• candyforstalin says:

i care about what my team spends. and none of it will be mine.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Because it directly impacts on how the Yankees better their team?

• I’d love Cliff Lee, I just am a little scared of the deal he might require to come to NY.

16. UWS says:

I looked at that layout thingie. I…don’t get it. One endzone is in the dugout and the other is out in the bleachers somewhere? How is that going to work?

17. Carlosologist says:

Fun fact: Last night’s game was 3 hours, 17 minutes. The eighth inning was an hour and five minutes.

18. Xstar7 says:

Another come from behind win for the Nets

19. Jerome S says:

This is the most BORING OPEN THREAD EVER.
    Are they always like this in the offseason?

20. Ray the Anti-Handle says:

Err, how the heck does that field layout work? Are they going to dismantle the dugouts, bullpens, and part of the bleachers?

• Mike Nitabach says:

Also, I assume they’re gonna install a bunch of seats in left field and right field, to fill in near the sidelines around midfield (which would be the best seats in the house).

And yeah, college football is amazing. I’ve been an Ivy Leaguer my whole life, so never paid much attention to football. However, my wife went to USC and over the years I have gone to many home and away games, including at Notre Dame, Ohio State, Cal, etc. College football is a total BLAST!